Stock Only Q

42 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

I really hope there will be a stock only Q.. I think it well add a lot of fun to the game and balance. I hope I'm not the only one that thinks the mech lab is hurting the game yeah it's fun to play with the lab. but because of it is why we have all these cheese builds

With stock only Q we can do away with ghost heat and the devs can focus on balancing stock mechs and not the endless weapon combination loadouts that is the mech lab

#2 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:08 AM

A stock queue would be nowhere close to balanced. Why wouldn't you just flock to the stock mechs that are the least broken (using DHS)?

No one likes stock mechs besides those that only play because of the battletech universe and nothing else. That may be a part of the population, but I doubt it's the majority anymore.

Edited by Krivvan, 17 October 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:22 AM

I used to think like you Krivvan. Until I played TT with stock builds. There is a challenge in it.

Now MW:O would have to change the way heat works for Stock builds, to be as fun as they are on TT, But that would make Our Custom rides just as god like as they would be on TT. I personally would not be against that. It hurts my inner government authorized mass murderer that my builds do not work as intended. :unsure:

#4 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:26 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 17 October 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

I used to think like you Krivvan. Until I played TT with stock builds. There is a challenge in it.

Now MW:O would have to change the way heat works for Stock builds, to be as fun as they are on TT, But that would make Our Custom rides just as god like as they would be on TT. I personally would not be against that. It hurts my inner government authorized mass murderer that my builds do not work as intended. :unsure:

There would be a challenge to it (managing awfully done weapon choices), but it sure wouldn't be balanced in MWO.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:29 AM

I'm going to type this out one more time, just so I can copy-paste it in future threads.

This is how my dream Stock-only queue would work.

It's basically like most other FPS games.
  • You can't use any of your owned mechs.
  • You start out in a tier 1 mech of your choice.
  • All mechs are divided into tiers, so a Raven 4X is a tier 1 and a Raven 3L is a tier 2. A Cicada 3M might be tier 5, while a Cicada 3C might be tier 3.
  • After every match in stock mode, you collect some kind of stock-only currency. Up to a maximum amount.
  • Before each match you can opt to buy a new stock mech.
  • If you die, you lose your mech. You'll still have some currency to buy a new mech, but even the maximum amount isn't enough to buy the top tier mechs.
  • Since it's a stock mech battle, all mechs come in the colours of the player's associated faction. (That's not really necessary, but I think it would be cool)
Advantages: Everyone gets to play stock mechs, you won't see people flocking to the best stock mechs, and you'll see a better distribution of weight classes because people have to earn the right to pilot the best and heaviest mechs.
Disadvantages: None. (No, really.)

#6 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 17 October 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

There would be a challenge to it (managing awfully done weapon choices), but it sure wouldn't be balanced in MWO.

I'm guessing you missed the part on the OP where I said the devs can focus on balancing the stock mechs....

#7 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostIron Riding Cowboy, on 17 October 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

I'm guessing you missed the part on the OP where I said the devs can focus on balancing the stock mechs....[/center]

You can't change the mech loadouts themselves or they won't be stock mechs anymore. You can't change how each mech fires them without changing their models and/or overhauling game mechanics. That only leaves tweaking the weapon values...which you can't do since so many different stock mechs share the same weapons between them.

#8 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 17 October 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

You can't change the mech loadouts themselves or they won't be stock mechs anymore. You can't change how each mech fires them without changing their models and/or overhauling game mechanics. That only leaves tweaking the weapon values...which you can't do since so many different stock mechs share the same weapons between them.

View PostKrivvan, on 17 October 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

not gonna say you don't have a point but you looking at this from the very Nero point of view. Will call it something else prebuilt Q. Or whatever the point is the devs will be the only ones to have the power to change to change the load outs on the mechs

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostIron Riding Cowboy, on 17 October 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

I'm guessing you missed the part on the OP where I said the devs can focus on balancing the stock mechs....[/center]

IF it is stock it is balanced. For a game that fires, takes fire and vents heat all in 10 second.
I fire
I vent
You fire
You vent
10 seconds.

That is TT. But in live action, to follow that kind of feel you need to follow
I fire
I vent
You fire
You vent
5 seconds or less.

#10 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

Do I think it would be fun? Yeah.

Could it be profitable to MWO/PGI? Only if they charge c-bills and mc for the special 'stock' versions of the mech to use specifically in that queue.

Unfortunately with everything else they are doing I don't see this happening. Our best bet for this kind of thing would be an organized tournament once private matches are put in.

#11 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 17 October 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

I used to think like you Krivvan. Until I played TT with stock builds. There is a challenge in it. Now MW:O would have to change the way heat works for Stock builds, to be as fun as they are on TT, But that would make Our Custom rides just as god like as they would be on TT. I personally would not be against that. It hurts my inner government authorized mass murderer that my builds do not work as intended. :unsure:

There is a challenge to it, but are you only playing as one of those mechs?
The problem is there will be HUGE imbalances between well built stock mechs and all of the rest of the stock mechs. I believe at least 80% of stock mechs would never be played.
My unit can regularly get 24 players do sync 2 12's for fun duels, I'm sure you can get 24 who want to do stock mech only and see which mechs are never used.

#12 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostAym, on 17 October 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

The problem is there will be HUGE imbalances between well built stock mechs and all of the rest of the stock mechs. I believe at least 80% of stock mechs would never be played.
My unit can regularly get 24 players do sync 2 12's for fun duels, I'm sure you can get 24 who want to do stock mech only and see which mechs are never used.

Make it 12v12 only and enforce the team building rules from that German tournament. Only allow a group to start playing when they meet all the criteria. There, no more problems.

Besides, you're talking about stock mech imbalance... yes, there is one since PGI were "kind enough" to use models in the game that were deemed trash and never entered production in-lore, nor were there any lunatics who would even bother with such junk in TT, but they are great for this game, because hardpoints and because they want as bad stock mechs as humanly possible since they then become unavoidable C-Bill sinks.

#13 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostAym, on 17 October 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

Understand even the most popular are not well built. On TT the Marauder(14-16 sinks), Warhammer(14-16 sinks), Battlemaster(IIRC 18 sinks) an other popular builds are hot monsters, out of the box. Or have craptastic armor or pea shooter weapons! I would NEVER play a JagerMech on TT (unless it was to let a new player have the Better build) They Suck so bad no player on my table has ever used one! Stock or otherwise! Of the mechs MW:O has in game now The Phoenix an maybe 3-4 Founders are "good" out of the box.

#14 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 17 October 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

No one likes stock mechs besides those that only play because of the battletech universe and nothing else. That may be a part of the population, but I doubt it's the majority anymore.

False.

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

+1

#16 Purlana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Your most dangerous opponent would be heat and the lack of ammo. :)

#17 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Oh, and please check for threads with the same intent next time, please.

It makes it easier to "get heard" by the devs and makes for a more organised discussion as opposed to a new revision of the same problem getting a thread every X time period and everyone repeating themselves over every time.

http://mwomercs.com/...ch-game-option/

#18 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostAdridos, on 17 October 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Oh, and please check for threads with the same intent next time, please.

It makes it easier to "get heard" by the devs and makes for a more organised discussion as opposed to a new revision of the same problem getting a thread every X time period and everyone repeating themselves over every time.

http://mwomercs.com/...ch-game-option/

I don't want a stock mech option. I do want a stock mech tournament weekend.

Easy to implement from PGIs side I would think. At least as easy as only allowing solo drops in regular tournaments.

#19 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Keep it simple. Trial Mech only matches. Everyone is picking one of four mechs. Playing field won't get much more level.

#20 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'd love a stock only mode. Brownie points if it has a tonnage and/or battle value limit as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users