- - - - -

Catapult Support Mech Build

10 replies to this topic

#1 DocHoliday1992

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

Alright, Iam new to this game and I played a few Matches before.

I will buy my first own Mech soon, and I guess I will pick one of the Catapult Mechs.

I like to stay far away from my targets and spam missiles on my targets.

Has anyone a good LRM-20 Build for the Catapult ? I wouldn't mind limited short range weapons on it.

#2 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...m-support-mech/

Start there.

#3 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:54 AM

2x LRM15, 3xML, 300xl, 1x tag on the C1.

it is a very easy mech, just remember to use your JJ's as much as possible.

#4 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:26 AM

Keep in mind you have to get lucky in order to successfully strike targets while out of harm's way.

1. Someone on your team has to lock the target for you and keep the lock maintained.
2. Your LRM volleys need a clear path to the target.
3. Your target is nowhere near any cover or is too occupied to move into cover.

If you stand at the back and expect to rain death on the other team, unfortunately I don't think you'll be very successful unless you're actually grouped with a co-ordinated team on voice comms. Also note that if you stand in the back, then you will more often than not get one or more enemy light mechs harassing you from behind. You will die without proper self defense and mobility.

I PUG exclusively and I can tell you that LRMs are best used from "striking" position. You basically have to catch someone off guard, TAG them, and launch missiles. If you can get more than one volley off before they start evading then you're lucky. Also, I noticed alot of people will try to "own" you and simply stand there shooting back at you. This is where you can simply move behind some light cover while maintaining the lock.

Important points:
1. You must be able to take care of yourself (ie. TAG your own targets + ML backup weapons)
2. You need to be quick and maneuverable (300XL + JJ's)
3. TAG is an absolute necessity to combat ECM and it's something that will help your entire team as well (also earns bonus C-Bills)
4. Artemis is optional but will definitely help your targeting, which is generally the weakest part of LRM's
5. Be prepared by stocking alot of ammo. Some matches you will have plenty of targets and you will find that you require deep ammo stores to get the job done. Also keep in mind you may need to fire off volleys just for suppression without regard for them striking the target. Use LRM15's instead of 20's to get more available volleys. I usually have at least 6 tons of ammo for 2 LRM15's.

#5 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:34 AM

LRM are best used at around 300m, move in behind the main pack and drop rocks on the mechs they engage. At long range you'll rarely, if ever, actually hit your targets.

If you want to avoid the fight and stick to the back look into PPC/Ballistic mechs instead.

#6 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

Lrm's can make or break a match as you suppress your opponents into one area and allow your team to start flanking them.. however its just as easy to get it all wrong and be gang humped by a pack of locusts before you can say 'surprise!'

Needless to say its a fun tactical game playing with LRM's and the builds and advice the guys have given you here, are very useful. Enjoy!

#7 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

View PostLevon K, on 18 October 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Keep in mind you have to get lucky in order to successfully strike targets while out of harm's way.

1. Someone on your team has to lock the target for you and keep the lock maintained.
2. Your LRM volleys need a clear path to the target.
3. Your target is nowhere near any cover or is too occupied to move into cover.

If you stand at the back and expect to rain death on the other team, unfortunately I don't think you'll be very successful unless you're actually grouped with a co-ordinated team on voice comms. Also note that if you stand in the back, then you will more often than not get one or more enemy light mechs harassing you from behind. You will die without proper self defense and mobility.

I PUG exclusively and I can tell you that LRMs are best used from "striking" position. You basically have to catch someone off guard, TAG them, and launch missiles. If you can get more than one volley off before they start evading then you're lucky. Also, I noticed alot of people will try to "own" you and simply stand there shooting back at you. This is where you can simply move behind some light cover while maintaining the lock.

Important points:
1. You must be able to take care of yourself (ie. TAG your own targets + ML backup weapons)
2. You need to be quick and maneuverable (300XL + JJ's)
3. TAG is an absolute necessity to combat ECM and it's something that will help your entire team as well (also earns bonus C-Bills)
4. Artemis is optional but will definitely help your targeting, which is generally the weakest part of LRM's
5. Be prepared by stocking alot of ammo. Some matches you will have plenty of targets and you will find that you require deep ammo stores to get the job done. Also keep in mind you may need to fire off volleys just for suppression without regard for them striking the target. Use LRM15's instead of 20's to get more available volleys. I usually have at least 6 tons of ammo for 2 LRM15's.

I don't play a CPLT, but this here is one of the soundest pieces of advice I've seen in these forums. hats off, good sir.

#8 42and19

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

Ok, I need to sound in here because I dropped for two hours with a build that, on paper, should have been total **** but was AVERAGING 800 damage a match. It helped he has support and I think that is the only thing that made is work so don't use this if you aren't in a premade.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a41a8c566cffef1

The scary thing about this build is 80 missiles at once

yea

It's really impressive if you happen to be spotting.

Edited by 42and19, 18 October 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#9 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

View Post42and19, on 18 October 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

Ahhh yes the joys of the LRM80 C4 or LRM90 A1... terrible terrible builds :blink: which are TOTALLY FREAKING AMUSING TO PLAY! :)

We should feel badly for using them at all. Puppies die... so do massive numbers of enemy mechs in a missile hellstorm that is stunning to spot for or fire. :blink:

#10 NickFury271

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 19 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

View Post42and19, on 18 October 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

Ok, I need to sound in here because I dropped for two hours with a build that, on paper, should have been total **** but was AVERAGING 800 damage a match. It helped he has support and I think that is the only thing that made is work so don't use this if you aren't in a premade.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a41a8c566cffef1

The scary thing about this build is 80 missiles at once

yea

It's really impressive if you happen to be spotting.

Looks like that could be a fun build but the HEAT it must generate could be a major problem...definitely have to allow breaks in between volleys to cool it down or you will soon find yourself at the red line.

#11 42and19

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

Yea, It's an extremely high risk build. On most maps he was able to get two full volleys before having to fire half and half. I also saw him one-shotted by the energy locust....that was funny as hell. I swatted the little ******* for it. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users