Please Remove Group Size Limits

183 replies to this topic

#121 Mr 144

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

/sigh

Reasons for Pugging without stupid remarks like...anti-social, bads, lazy, etc :

Grindy game with no real reason to insta-launch between matches means there is no good reason not to launch 'casually'. This does not mean casual-esqe gameplay however, this just means there is no need to ready-up immediately. Taking breaks at will, perhaps between every single match can make the game relaxing and enjoyable.

Random mix up of players gives a diverse match where anything can happen as opposed to the predictability of known lancemates' builds.

Playing with builds, trying out new things, and generally spending some time in the mechlab in-between matches.

Grouping does not provide this. Snarky comments like 'find a team' or 'jump on TS' does not rectify this either and runs contrary to this approach to the grind. These snarky suggestions are for all intents and purposes are telling "Pugs" to dedicate a fixed time period soley to MWO for a number of matches as opposed to a longer time period encompasing the same number of matches. There is zero in-game benefit to either approach.

Notice how none of these differences have anything to do with VOIP. In both scenarios, voice would help enormously to either approach, but with the flawed lack of any working system for mixed groups or Pugs...the best that can be done is 4-man TS.

A Real VOIP would help both groups and puggers alike. 4-man pre-made lances could communicate with everyone else (while still retaining private TS lance communication if desired). Pugs could communicate. Mixes between them both could communicate. Wierd, it could actually be a Team Game.

On the Topic of Group Size: While a working voice system that incorporates everyone in match regardless of group size (including solo AND Pre-mades) would go a long way towards making the matches both fair AND more enjoyable for all, it still would not be enough to warrant an increase past 6 players.

As long as Class Matching or Tonnage Limitations are present in the matchmaking algorithm, any group larger than 6 players would be strategically able to dictate the match. For example, a 7-8 man premade running all lights or all assaults would invariably spaz the matchmaker into either a noticeably uneven tonnage difference, or a noticeably uneven amount of 'teams' on either side. Before Group size limitations this was the easiest and most effective way to abuse the system and not much has changed since. In fact, with the addition of another variable (ELO) to the matchmaker, this problem would become worse, as now there could be even tonnage, even teams, and noticeably uneven ELO. Again, nothing has changed. All of the reason to discount groups greater than half are still in full effect. 4-man (as opposed to 6) just makes more sense ala 'lance'.

Notice, this problem does not just effect Puggers, but other opposing groups as well. Previously, the flawed MM would only affect Pugs this way, but now (given MM 'improvements') would affect groups as well.

So, No....do not increase group size limitations. Sometime in the future yes, but the game has a long way to go before that is feasible.

Disclaimer: I Pug...'well' :D I have also played in an organized unit. I have 'Pugged' on TS as well. I've played since early Closed Beta and have seen every iteration of the matchmaker. I am well awre of the 'mood' for each distinct approach to the game.

Edited by Mr 144, 20 October 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#122 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 18 October 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

They've already announced that they will be allowing it, but it will come with the weight limits.

Umm, citation? I don't recall this.

Nevermind, I think it's an interpretation of this : http://mwomercs.com/...vs-45-answered/

I am not sure this does mean they will actually change the drop limit on the "Pug" queue, however.

Edited by Scratx, 20 October 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#123 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

Fact - the casual 4-man afficionados are scared of dropping in 12s... At most they try one 12, get rolled and call it a day...

Because in 12-man... U DA PUG!

#124 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostMycrus, on 20 October 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

Fact - the casual 4-man afficionados are scared of dropping in 12s... At most they try one 12, get rolled and call it a day...

incentive vs player base numbers....nothing to do with 'fear'.

#125 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostMycrus, on 20 October 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

Neg. At least we drop casual 12s three times a week. Some are stomps, yes, doesn't keep us from droppin!

#126 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

well it does appear that way when you need to scour multiple ts3 servers to scrounge up enough of the willing..

Most will quickly come up with cat on fire excuses... Best one lately is.. I want to grind my pheonix..

When I play 12-man -- we have only 2 teams in the entire inner sphere that bothers to play it (I'm on asia primetime)..

#127 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostMycrus, on 20 October 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

well it does appear that way when you need to scour multiple ts3 servers to scrounge up enough of the willing..

Most will quickly come up with cat on fire excuses... Best one lately is.. I want to grind my pheonix..

When I play 12-man -- we have only 2 teams in the entire inner sphere that bothers to play it (I'm on asia primetime).

View PostMr 144, on 20 October 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

incentive vs player base numbers....nothing to do with 'fear'.

proves my point, but you had to be 'that guy' and call it pug 'fear'...

#128 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

You have a valid point Mycrus...........I generally don't play 12 mans and prefer to stick with 4 man pre-mades specifically because it's difficult to get a "good" 12 man group together and even when you do it's more a matter of who can focus fire first. The steam roll effect of "first to lose a mech usually loses the game" in 12 mans is huge.

12 mans have their place and they are indeed fun, but they shouldn't be mandatory if you want to play the game.

#129 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and expand on my 'incentive vs. playerbase' comment...because people are dumb :D

Incentive:
Increase rewards for 12-man drops to 3x XP and 3x C-Bill and watch that queue fill up with willing pugs. CW (unicorn throery) could provide incentive as well.

Playerbase:
Increase the sheer number of players (unlikely given the current state of affairs) and a similar increase in 12-man drops occur.

This of course wrongly assumes PGI cares at all about marketing 12-man drops.

#130 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

View PostMr 144, on 20 October 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

I'm gonna go ahead and expand on my 'incentive vs. playerbase' comment...because people are dumb :D

Incentive:
Increase rewards for 12-man drops to 3x XP and 3x C-Bill and watch that queue fill up with willing pugs. CW (unicorn throery) could provide incentive as well.

Playerbase:
Increase the sheer number of players (unlikely given the current state of affairs) and a similar increase in 12-man drops occur.

This of course wrongly assumes PGI cares at all about marketing 12-man drops.

Wow, those Steel Jag guys gonna be really rich after that incentive! :huh:

#131 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostIV Amen, on 20 October 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Wow, those Steel Jag guys gonna be really rich after that incentive! :D

Most long-term players couldn't care less about C-Bills anyhow...heck, I took a couple month break and still spend money willy-nilly without premium time. Newer players...those who have a foothold in the game are the ones that need attracting.

#132 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Me thinks best incentive is CW and the will to improve and the fun aspect to actually use tactics... 12s ain't that bad as people let you understand. Some bad *** competitive teams, but hey - how can you beat them unless losing to them and improving your own gameplay and tactics?

You don't need to be competitive to enjoy 12-mans, you know.. I don't mind getting stomped every now and then. I just accept the fact that they're that good and practice ALOT more than we do.

edit. forgot some words :D

Edited by IV Amen, 20 October 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#133 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

and Me thinks that CW will be a complete joke to most of the player base...providing nothing more than a psychological mirage of 'growth' that will become stale rather quickly...hope I'm wrong

#134 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostMr 144, on 20 October 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

and Me thinks that CW will be a complete joke to most of the player base...providing nothing more than a psychological mirage of 'growth' that will become stale rather quickly...hope I'm wrong

Yeah hope your wrong. But at least we're getting private lobbies to run our own CW properly.

#135 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostIV Amen, on 20 October 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

Yeah hope your wrong. But at least we're getting private lobbies to run our own CW properly.

yeah, private lobbies...promised in Phase II of the MM (a long, long time ago)....will believe it when I see it :D

Edited by Mr 144, 20 October 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#136 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

Private lobbies will not fix it... Case in point is Asia primetime again... The whole 12man queue is my private lobby... We have to arrange matches manually, do anything goes or rulez it does not matter most still won't play...

While some so called "units" take forever to color coordinate their knickers before dropping.. When we run 12s drops are quick and often... It is just getting the first 24 guys together that is the struggle...

Mr is right there has to be incentive to run 12s or people will just stick with pugstomping 4s...

#137 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

View PostMycrus, on 20 October 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Mr is right there has to be incentive to run 12s or people will just stick with pugstomping 4s...

Yeah now that I think of it. I just got different incentives...

#138 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

View PostImperius, on 20 October 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I would like this gone many times 2 of my friends had to run thier own group because we had a full 4 man... A game that can't be played with friendsis a game that eventually never gets played again.

then get 4 more friends and play 12v12 silly arguments for wanting stomps

Edited by Inkarnus, 21 October 2013 - 01:32 AM.

#139 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostMycrus, on 20 October 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Private lobbies will not fix it... Case in point is Asia primetime again... The whole 12man queue is my private lobby... We have to arrange matches manually, do anything goes or rulez it does not matter most still won't play...

While some so called "units" take forever to color coordinate their knickers before dropping.. When we run 12s drops are quick and often... It is just getting the first 24 guys together that is the struggle...

I don't think 12's would need to worry about afk's or farmers (unless both teams agreed to do it). So how about a nice flat reward based only on win/loss. Something like 150,000cb/1000xp for a loss and 300,000cb/2000xp for a win plus bonuses for events, premium time, etc, etc. Decent incentive to get people to play there and players that are doing things that don't normally give good rewards but help the team wouldn't be getting shorted.

Edited by dario03, 21 October 2013 - 01:49 AM.

#140 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

12s gameplay in itself gives a better play experience... 12s take longer to organize than 4s or solos... There should be a consumerate reward for such..

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users