• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

View PostEcto Cooler, on 01 November 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

http://www.gsb.stanf...nn.popcorn.html
http://www.cbsnews.c...ved-the-movies/
http://business.time...cession-stands/

Expensive snacks keeps ticket prices down and movie theaters in business. You could have taken a minute to use Google and find out if it was true or not, instead of just ranting on about why you didn't think it was.

Finding 2 articles on popcorn and one on snack food doesn't make it a fact. Thats like beleiving what the MPAA says about piracy killing pc games, movies, tv shows, music etc etc. Also the stanford article you linked was on a paper from way back in 1983, things have changed so much since then, internet being one of them. Hand picking an article to support your claim as fact doesn't help you. I'm not ranting, I merely pointed out the inaccuracy of the poster and cost associated with a mech to a movie night.

#82 Stardancer01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 353 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

My next 2 pay ins will be the
The marauder pack or marauder hero mech
The clan pack

Failure to bring out the marauder will result in a significant loss of earnings for PGI and its associates.

Edited by Stardancer01, 02 November 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#83 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostPrimez, on 02 November 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Finding 2 articles on popcorn and one on snack food doesn't make it a fact. Thats like beleiving what the MPAA says about piracy killing pc games, movies, tv shows, music etc etc. Also the stanford article you linked was on a paper from way back in 1983, things have changed so much since then, internet being one of them. Hand picking an article to support your claim as fact doesn't help you. I'm not ranting, I merely pointed out the inaccuracy of the poster and cost associated with a mech to a movie night.

I don't understand what exactly you don't believe still? What do the articles say that is wrong?

I guess it doesn't cost $20 to go see a movie if you pay matinee prices and sneak in your own beverages. I wouldn't exactly call that being a savvy customer though... That's like saying that a DVD doesn't cost $15, it's free because I just download it. Oh wait, you did defend piracy.

Anyway, I've been out to dinner and spent more than $20. I'm sure you've been to a bar and spent waaayyy more than $20 on a night of debauchery only to be rewarded with a headache and regret the next morning.

Edited by Ecto Cooler, 02 November 2013 - 03:27 AM.

#84 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostMadcatX, on 02 November 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

I'm assuming by Pay to have fun you are referring to "freemium", which is what this game is. A pure F2P (and honestly there isn't that many on the market) makes cash of vanity items alone and don't have "soft" paywalls. But as mentioned before, this is a very common practice thus I don't make a fuss about it.

I agree there aren't many but those that do make more profit then all other f2p games combined.I make fuss about it because it was based on WOT system that can't work in this game since MWO doesn't have tiers I mean WOT that has one of worst models out there but its still more fun to play for free then mwo, and I'm in right to make fuss about it when situation is this bad. Its safe to say that we have scary low amount of people that didn't pay witch indicates just that and free to play games without them feels like ghost town. As things are now I'm would feel embarrassed to ask my friends to try this game.

#85 Primez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

View PostEcto Cooler, on 02 November 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

I don't understand what exactly you don't believe still? What do the articles say that is wrong?

I guess it doesn't cost $20 to go see a movie if you pay matinee prices and sneak in your own beverages. I wouldn't exactly call that being a savvy customer though... That's like saying that a DVD doesn't cost $15, it's free because I just download it. Oh wait, you did defend piracy.

Anyway, I've been out to dinner and spent more than $20. I'm sure you've been to a bar and spent waaayyy more than $20 on a night of debauchery only to be rewarded with a headache and regret the next morning.

I don't drink it's a waste of money, well unless it's a special occasion like wedding or a social of some sort. I dislike alcoholics after living with a few throughout my life. I'm not arguing the price of a dvd to a mech, I also didn't defend piracy I merely pointed out articles can be ******** and you linking one from a source on 1983 doesn't help your case since times have changed.

#86 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostPrimez, on 02 November 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

I don't drink it's a waste of money, well unless it's a special occasion like wedding or a social of some sort. I dislike alcoholics after living with a few throughout my life. I'm not arguing the price of a dvd to a mech, I also didn't defend piracy I merely pointed out articles can be ******** and you linking one from a source on 1983 doesn't help your case since times have changed.

Let me clarify. I said that movie theaters needed concessions because that's where the majority of their profit comes from and they can't stay in business on ticket sales alone. High concession prices mean lower ticket costs.

You said, you don't believe that's a fact. So I linked you three articles, from three sources, all saying how important concessions were and movie theaters needed and used them to stay profitable and keep ticket costs down.

So what don't you still believe? I don't think this is a really hard concept to understand. What did the articles say that was wrong?

Edited by Ecto Cooler, 02 November 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#87 Primez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostEcto Cooler, on 02 November 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Let me clarify. I said that movie theaters needed concessions because that's where the majority of their profit comes from and they can't stay in business on ticket sales alone. High concession prices mean lower ticket costs.

You said, you don't believe that's a fact. So I linked you three articles, from three sources, all saying how important concessions were and movie theaters needed and used them to stay profitable and keep ticket costs down.

So what don't you still believe? I don't think this is a really hard concept to understand. What did the articles say that was wrong?

Because cherry picking an article doesn't make it fact. I gave you a classic easy to understand example of articles by the mpaa and they have been misleading. You could also look up articles on race, attraction etc etc. Just because there is an article doesn't make it fact.

For one, one of the articles is using a source paper from 1983 things have changed from 1983. The entertainment industry as a whole has changed. The CBS news has no sources, the third article by time uses a cnn money report and if you read that they don't say it's purely snack prices but a mixture of ticket price based on how long the movie is showing, snacks, trailers, advertising for businesses, split 4 ways. So to contribute it to snack prices alone is silly.

If anything a blockbuster that brings in audiences over the weeks benefits the most which in the end is the quality of the movie. If you liken a game to a movie, mwo is not bringing in large amount of new players or retaining them.

Edited by Primez, 03 November 2013 - 02:59 AM.

#88 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

Who cares about that anyway it can't be compared to game industry. MWO is just to expensive lets just be real 2000MC(without camo) just to paint my mech is ridiculous and no one can deny that. Hero mechs prices are just insane I can buy few games on steam with that money. I agree that they should make money but this is just a rip off and shows how much thay care about community.

#89 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

I bet the same people that are still clinging to hope are the same people that still support US President Obama. I'm not paying $35 for a hero mech. Also, notice the Boars Head cost 7500mc, but you cant buy 7500. You have to buy 6500, then another amount. Cheap groin shot if you ask me. After you buy your Atlas, you have left over MC thats not enough to buy anything of value. So it sits there until you either fold and buy more so your able to use it, or it just sits there. Ive had like 300MC just sitting there since "launch". C-Bills are another joke. I've had games where I've gotten 3 kills and 5 assists and only managed 130k. Most games are 80-100k. We have to play 10-15 games to get 1 mil. Which buys you nothing. 8-9mil gets you a mech. So thats 100-120 games to buy a decent mech. Most matches are around the 10min mark. So thats 20hrs!!! Most people like me have jobs, family, and other things that we do in this life besides playing an unfinished game. Ive got 2-3 hrs max a night, 4 nights max a week. So for me it would take almost a month. Thats absurd. Xbox One is around the corner, Battlefield 4 is out. I choose to spend my time playing those things. So for me, MWO is pointless right now. No community warfare, no factions or merc corps. Its just shooting tin cans now. Meh.....

#90 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Also, going to the movies is expensive now. Hence why noone in my family goes to the movies anymore.

#91 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

I dont pay into a game that a) isnt finished , and/or b.) that isnt good enough.

MWo will not see 1 penny from me till its worthy.

IMO if everyone thought that way maybe ..just maybe games today would be a that little bit better. Granted crowd funded games wouldnt stand a chance if that were the case BUT it would atleast stop the game developers who seem to like taking there sweet time and milking the community for all its worth, of which im starting to think PGI is one of them, this game hasnt come very far in months and yet more and more Microtransaction items are available than ever.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 03 November 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#92 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 03 November 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I dont pay into a game that a) isnt finished , and/or :P that isnt good enough.

IMO if everyone thought that way maybe ..just maybe games today would be a that little bit better. Granted crowd funded games wouldnt stand a chance if that were the case BUT it would atleast stop the game developers who seem to like taking there sweet time and milking the community for all its worth, of which im starting to think PGI is one of them, this game hasnt come very far in months and yet more and more Microtransaction items are available than ever.

I done same but its impossible to enjoy game without mech bays. it looks like only way to enjoy this game fully is to give them a lot of money and if you don't you are punished they don't care about people that can't spend lots of money i find that pathetic and bad for business they should embrace everyone, now tell me that I'm not right.

#93 Dreamslave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostQuinn Allard, on 03 November 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Its just shooting tin cans now. Meh.....

It's been this for over a year, which is embarrassing to say the least.

#94 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

I run 2 mechs, both jager DD's.

i dont need more mech bays, iv had all 4 in use yes, but it didnt limit me.
he game isnt big enough to keep my attnetion ofr days on end, so i dont have tonns on credits available to buy more mechs than the default 4 bay limit.
Iv had a jager, stalker, awesome, cataphract at the same time before, iv now gone down to just 2 identical jaggers so i can go into battle then quite as soon as i die or win and into the other without additional wait time.

i see no reason to use any other mechs. I use a stagger fired dakka loadout for a DPS setup, no other mech other than the phract can do this, and all other mechs result in alpha builds, which im firmly against, they bore the hell out of me, its lame and tbh if PGI cant balance the game out so that we dont have to always pack in alpha builds, i'll eventaully stop playing all to gether.

So no, u dont need to pay money to pla ythe game to its fullest, u have to spend ages ot make enough cbilsl to buy ur 1st mechs yes, but thats relativly new, the cbill earnings used ot be alot higher.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 03 November 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#95 KAT Ayanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostEcto Cooler, on 18 October 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

It wasn't difficult to figure out, but I am having a logical issue perhaps you could help me with?

Why are people who don't agree with PGI are still here on the forums and still complaining?

Simple!

Because PGI did a good job closing every other MW game on the internet.

When you do not have options, you cannot choose.

Fifa -or- PES
GT -or- Forza
MWO -or- The door

#96 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostDiego Angelus, on 03 November 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

MWO is just to expensive lets just be real 2000MC(without camo) just to paint my mech is ridiculous and no one can deny that. Hero mechs prices are just insane I can buy few games on steam with that money. I agree that they should make money but this is just a rip off and shows how much thay care about community.

View PostDiego Angelus, on 03 November 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

I done same but its impossible to enjoy game without mech bays. it looks like only way to enjoy this game fully is to give them a lot of money and if you don't you are punished they don't care about people that can't spend lots of money i find that pathetic and bad for business they should embrace everyone, now tell me that I'm not right.

You are wrong. Price and value are relative terms. You haven't even been playing the game for two full weeks, how are you already out of mech bays? Or are you just preemptively complaining? The game is FREE if you want it to be. Get over yourself or find another game.

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 03 November 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I dont pay into a game that a) isnt finished , and/or b.) that isnt good enough.

IMO if everyone thought that way maybe ..just maybe games today would be a that little bit better.

Are you suggesting that people spend money on games they don't think is worth the price? You're shopping with your own wallet for everyone. I've spent $300 on MW so far, am I part of the reason why the game is worse instead of better? If I was like you and refused to give them anything, would they have made the game worthy of your pennies?

View PostKAT Ayanami, on 03 November 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

Simple!

Because PGI did a good job closing every other MW game on the internet.

When you do not have options, you cannot choose.

You can choose not to play. I mean do you honestly think you're entitled to a Mechwarrior game? I'll bet one of the reasons the content is so expensive is to cover part of the expense of using the license (and content) to begin with. Hawken doesn't have to worry about details like that. Why don't you go play that? It's a direct F2P competitor.

I can't count how many AAA titles I've bought for $60 and barely have played. You want to talk about a waste of money, some of them have gotten less than an hour. I'm at 90 hours for MW:O so far, so I'd say I'm getting my money's worth.

If you can spend $60 and get way more hours from other games, go play those. The best thing is this game will always be FREE for you.

#97 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

When people just accept things as they are and dont push for better quality, the overall quality of said things drops as time goes by. Now granted quality goes hand in hand with consumer expectations, and the average gamer nowerdays seems to be content with rather dim whitted games, but even so, the point still stands.

You cant honestly be saying that you think MWO is fine the way it is ?
I would hazzard to guess that you spent $300 on MWO for 2 reason, uv got money to burn and are in hope that MWO will get better. Would this statement be accurate ?
I cant imagin any proper gamer saying MWO is a game worthy of spending hundreads of dollar / pounds / euro's on, in its current state, unless they really did have money to throw around.

#98 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 04 November 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

When people just accept things as they are and dont push for better quality, the overall quality of said things drops as time goes by. Now granted quality goes hand in hand with consumer expectations, and the average gamer nowerdays seems to be content with rather dim whitted games, but even so, the point still stands.

I would hazzard to guess that you spent $300 on MWO for 2 reason, uv got money to burn and are in hope that MWO will get better. Would this statement be accurate ?
I cant imagin any proper gamer saying MWO is a game worthy of spending hundreads of dollar / pounds / euro's on, in its current state, unless they really did have money to throw around.

Are you saying this game is for dimwits?

I want to see MW:O add more content, especially CW and DX11 support. So no, it's not fine the way it is, but I don't dislike the game currently either. It has nothing to do with money to burn, it's money for entertainment however I want to spend it. Right now I'm having fun so I'll pay for that. Like I said, I've bought tons of AAA titles only to barely play them. Even if I do beat the campaign of a brand new fancy title, what's an average game length, 10 hours on the high end? I've still gotten better value from MW:O than a lot of games. Sure, there are exceptions with Skyrim or other games, but they're a rarity.

Besides at the end of the day, the game only costs as much as you want it to.

#99 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 04 November 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

I'm very much interested to meet a "Proper Gamer".

Do people even read their arguments before they post?

This game is in CONSTANT development, and until PGI stops receiving money for their works they will continue to do so.

So arguing that people shouldn't spend money is ridiculous, for every purchaser there are hundreds enjoying the game for free, if anything they should be thanking those who've dropped hundreds on this game.

View PostEcto Cooler, on 04 November 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

What's an average game length, 10 hours on the high end?

This is the truth, I've gotten over 300 hours of fun gameplay so far.!

#100 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

I earn **** all, I look after people with learning disabilities and earn minimum wage...I have around 70 quid a month to spend on what I like and I have spent over 300 bucks (I think) on MWO..why? because I love the game and want to support the devs.
Yeah we would all like stuff to be cheaper but to tell people not to spend money on the game isn't on.
Like the above poster says without us guys who have spent money you freeloaders (lol) wouldn't have a mechwarrior game to play.

32 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users