185 replies to this topic

#141 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBlue Ridge Mountains

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

I think the white knights are missing the point.

Like Diego is saying, your arguments are blatantly incorrect. DotA 2 and LoL are proof of that. Hello, Rift is even better proof of that. They had a full paying model ($15 a month) and they decided that F2P was the way to go and guess what? They have far exceeded their expectations of the game to a point where they are still releasing new expansions and still packing servers.

Your arguments and points are made in a vacuum of ignorance because you refuse to see the truth of F2P.

What you ~are~ saying, however, is that you believe if MWO was F2P that ~IT~ would fail. You do not believe MWO is good enough to survive on F2P only if everything was attainable by CBills...

Also, someone pointed out the "free cheeseburgers for a coke" thing up above... I am not certain if you have been to a club or a bar in the last century, but that is pretty much how they sell drinks. Ever been to a strip club? Free entertainment... just gotta buy drinks.

The model is sound, which is why so many companies are going to it.

Will MWO survive? You may be right... it may not be good enough of a game to do so...

I will make the argument that $80 (or, with saber, $110) is QUITE A LOT for a DLC. I do not give a **** where you come from or what you make on your paycheck, $110 is a lot of flipping money for internet robots. You bring that down to ... $20-$30? Now you have a decent little expansion that I would not have minded paying for. Your exclusivity that you are epeening on about is gone, but I say the developers go from 30% playerbase sale to almost 70% playerbase sale... on this and future content. Then, when I tell my friends "OMG, I got all this for $30" they are like... "Wow... that's not really that bad" instead of the current conversation with my wife.... "You want to spend this month's electric and water bill on WHAT?"

For what you are getting.... it is not with $110.

Aggregate, lower the cost, you get more fish biting and end up selling way more packages for more money. McDonald's figured it out with their dollar menu. Guess what? EVERY OTHER FAST FOOD ON THE MARKET HAS A DOLLAR MENU NOW. Not working? Please. Open your {scrapping} eyes.

Oh, just to add to that, I do imagine that, as a US Citizen, I fail to take into account the massive tax burden Canadians are under. Think about that... how much of your money is going not to your 'precious underfed developers and their starving families' but to the Canadian government?

Do not worry. The US is heading there very quickly. We just passed a heath insurance bill that does not allow me to get health insurance. We will feel your pain soon.

#142 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostScromboid, on 11 November 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

I will make the argument that $80 (or, with saber, $110) is QUITE A LOT for a DLC. I do not give a **** where you come from or what you make on your paycheck, $110 is a lot of flipping money for internet robots. You bring that down to ... $20-$30? Now you have a decent little expansion that I would not have minded paying for. Your exclusivity that you are epeening on about is gone, but I say the developers go from 30% playerbase sale to almost 70% playerbase sale...

You can't just throw out random sales numbers and base your argument on them. You have no clue if sales would increase by 40% (more than double) or not, or what the profitability would look like. Just because you sell twice or even three times as much of something, does not mean you'll be 2-3x as profitable. For you it's not worth $110. Do you think the Dollar Menu is profitable? It's to get people into the building to buy food, not to sustain their business. They still sell entire meals which is where the money comes from.

It seems like you're upset that your wife said no. She should be on here telling us why it's not worth $110.

Edited by Ecto Cooler, 11 November 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#143 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostEcto Cooler, on 11 November 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

You can't just throw out random sales numbers and base your argument on them. You have no clue if sales would increase by 40% (more than double) or not, or what the profitability would look like. Just because you sell twice or even three times as much of something, does not mean you'll be 2-3x as profitable. For you it's not worth $110. Do you think the Dollar Menu is profitable? It's to get people into the building to buy food, not to sustain their business. They still sell entire meals which is where the money comes from.

It seems like you're upset that your wife said no. She should be on here telling us why it's not worth $110.

Mostly because buying $110 worth of online robots is really stupid. PERIOD.

#144 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

instead of the current conversation with my wife.... "You want to spend this month's electric and water bill on WHAT?"

View PostScromboid, on 11 November 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Mostly because buying $110 worth of online robots is really stupid. PERIOD.

Sounds like you didn't think it was really stupid originally when you asked your wife if you could spend the money...

#145 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostEcto Cooler, on 11 November 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Sounds like you didn't think it was really stupid originally when you asked your wife if you could spend the money...

Understandably, you misunderstood. First, I did not ask permission, I was merely stating the ridiculousness of it and she concurred. Second, you go on and try.

I know, I know... no female (or male, whatever, not judging) prospects on the horizon. Climb up out of your mom's basement (put clothes on first) and go tell her you just spent $110 on internet robots and tell me what she says. Go on. Tell us.

I think we can all imagine.

#146 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostScromboid, on 11 November 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

Understandably, you misunderstood. First, I did not ask permission, I was merely stating the ridiculousness of it and she concurred. Second, you go on and try.

I know, I know... no female (or male, whatever, not judging) prospects on the horizon. Climb up out of your mom's basement (put clothes on first) and go tell her you just spent $110 on internet robots and tell me what she says. Go on. Tell us.

I think we can all imagine.

I asked your mom instead and she was okay with my purchasing decision, even without putting on clothes.

#147 Gruinhardt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Also, someone pointed out the "free cheeseburgers for a coke" thing up above... I am not certain if you have been to a club or a bar in the last century, but that is pretty much how they sell drinks. Ever been to a strip club? Free entertainment... just gotta buy drinks.

I have been to a strip club. Paid the cover charge, tipped the dancers, and paid for overpriced drinks. Nothing about that sounds like free entertainment.

The bars must be different in your area. The bars around here do not give out free food. They do sell drinks, pizza, some may have other food, but it all has a price.

Some agree with PGI's pricing, some do not. Some people want unlimited access to all content, some believe a line needs to be drawn somewhere. The prices may or may not change, it is out of our control. I am against giving unlimited access to all content (mech bays, hero mechs). It's my opinion, yours maybe different.

#148 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Wow, do people still think $110 is a lot of money? That must really suck.

Maybe PGI should create a series of Welfare mechs. Half price, but all dented and scratched with a special (W) tag for Welfare mechs, like they use (F) for Founders and (P) for Phoenix.

#149 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostHeffay, on 11 November 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Wow, do people still think $110 is a lot of money? That must really suck.

Maybe PGI should create a series of Welfare mechs. Half price, but all dented and scratched with a special (W) tag for Welfare mechs, like they use (F) for Founders and (P) for Phoenix.

Are you serious i can't tell ?

#150 Gruinhardt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostHeffay, on 11 November 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

I know of a few people living off of public assistance, welfare. Many of them live in nicer homes-apartments, and drive nicer cars than people working 2 jobs. Its all a matter of how they work the system.

#151 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

*shrugs*

Fools and their money are easily parted.

#152 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostScromboid, on 11 November 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

*shrugs*

Can you please give me a list of Scromboid approved entertainment options, so that I don't part from my money like a fool? Please enumerate the list of valid uses for my entertainment dollars. Thanks!

#153 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostScromboid, on 11 November 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

*shrugs*

And some of us don't spend six months researching a $26 hatchet purchase.

#154 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hey man, listen. If you guys are willing to sit there and spend $200 a year so I can play this game for the $60 or whatever I put into it, great :P

Whatever. So long as you guys keep it up. When you stop, PGI goes under. That minority group who puts money into the game will not always be there. When they go away, where does that leave PGI and the game?

I always get the same amount of vitriol when I post about this, but my point is never "Make it cheaper so I can play." I base my decisions on where my money goes by my own standards. Whatever. So do you, obviously. That is not the discussion.

The discussion is this - Can PGI continue to charge $110 every six or so months for expansions? Can they continue to charge $25-30 a month for Hero Mechs? Can they continue to charge $12 a month for premium time?

Do you all think that, in 5 years, that business model will continue to be valid?

Asked another way - Will you continue to pump $150 - $200 a year into MWO in 5 years? Will you spend $700 - $1000 on this game?

View PostEcto Cooler, on 11 November 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

And some of us don't spend six months researching a $26 hatchet purchase.

Which is why you'll buy a bad hatchet :P

Edited by Scromboid, 11 November 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#155 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostHeffay, on 11 November 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

Can you please give me a list of Scromboid approved entertainment options, so that I don't part from my money like a fool? Please enumerate the list of valid uses for my entertainment dollars. Thanks!

Well if you want to throw 110$ for game that is in very bad shape then that is your call of course but I hate when people go around this forum saying how I should pay a lot because they did and that is how pgi roll. Prices are insane for a f2p game and that is a fact.

#156 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

I am not certain if you have been to a club or a bar in the last century, but that is pretty much how they sell drinks. Ever been to a strip club? Free entertainment... just gotta buy drinks.

View PostGruinhardt, on 11 November 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

I have been to a strip club. Paid the cover charge, tipped the dancers, and paid for overpriced drinks. Nothing about that sounds like free entertainment.

The strip club comparison actually shows what type of person he is. You're right, I've been to strip clubs before and between the cover charge, the overpriced ATM fees, the overpriced drinks and tipping the girls, it's an incredibly expensive night.

Unless you just show up and nurse a beer and let everyone else pay for your entertainment. There is being frugal and being outright cheap -- I think it's obvious what category Scromboid falls into.

#157 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostEcto Cooler, on 11 November 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

The strip club comparison actually shows what type of person he is. You're right, I've been to strip clubs before and between the cover charge, the overpriced ATM fees, the overpriced drinks and tipping the girls, it's an incredibly expensive night.

Unless you just show up and nurse a beer and let everyone else pay for your entertainment. There is being frugal and being outright cheap -- I think it's obvious what category Scromboid falls into.

I was creating a hypothetical scenario I thought you would understand. Seems I was right :P FWIW, been once during a bachelor party and was so horrified I've never been back. No judging, just not my scene.

Oh and yeah, I am very frugal. :P No ifs ands or buts about it. I am not ashamed of that at all. Most of my money goes to the education of my children and making sure they have a great life. No worries or apologies there.

Again, focus on the real question - do you think you will continue to pump $150 - $200 a year into this game? If not, then who?

This is why I believe the business model is flawed.

Insult me all you want. Be self righteous all you want. I do not care. What I care about (in this venue) is the health of this game. I cannot see this model lasting 5 years at these prices. Can you?

Edited by Scromboid, 11 November 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#158 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostEcto Cooler, on 11 November 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

Do you always have to attack with stupid comments when you don't have argument ?

#159 Warchild Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 478 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

I've thus come to the conclusion that it is 'hope' that I pay for. Hope that -- if not today -- in the future the ones who hold rights to make Battletech related games will provide us the best mechwarrior experience (within the limits of the gaming apparatus of course) that there is to be had.

So it is not what the game is what I as a gamer and a customer pay you, PGI. It's because I want you to evolve, get better at what you do, and strive on to make better Battletech games!

This.

And obviously the business model is not flawed since they still make money. :P

#160 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostDiego Angelus, on 11 November 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Well if you want to throw 110$ for game that is in very bad shape then that is your call of course but I hate when people go around this forum saying how I should pay a lot because they did and that is how pgi roll. Prices are insane for a f2p game and that is a fact.

View PostDiego Angelus, on 11 November 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

Do you always have to attack with stupid comments when you don't have argument ?

Speaking of not having an argument, how many times are you going to parrot the same thing over and over? It's tiresome at this point.

If anything I hope you would at least learn this one thing, which seems to continuously elude you, despite how many times it's been said -- value and prices mean different things to different people. Just because YOU think the game isn't worth $110, doesn't mean everyone shares that viewpoint. Luckily if you don't, the game is FREE. (Don't bother mentioning the mechbay argument again, it's laughable.)

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users