32 replies to this topic

#1 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

So I've noticed that MWO actually works decently well with the Oculus Rift using Tridef. Before I try this in any actual matches, I was wondering if the game would consider this to be a third party hack (assuming MWO has such detection, but I assume by now there's at least something basic)?

So far I've given it a spin on the testing grounds andl I have noticed how large mechs actually are. Aside from the typical issues with a UI that wasn't designed for the Oculus, the cockpit is a little messed up in that it can't really get the sides of the cockpit quite right. The mech models and environment look great though.

Video: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=Tfn6aQaLjcg

Edited by Krivvan, 20 October 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#2 Adran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

You can't imagine how jealous I am of you having an Oculus Rift already. I'm waiting for the consumer version. Is it possible for you to upload video of what it looks like? I've been very curious if it would be even close to believeable.

#3 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

Tridef is no more a hack than your GPU driver is a hack. You're not trying to circumvent any part of the game, so you've really nothing to worry about. You just want MWO in 3D :)

Have it at and don't worry, I say, and yes, post videos!

Also, an Oculus Rift, Elite founder and Overlord Phoenix? My gaming budget is becoming jealous of yours :D

Edited by Catamount, 19 October 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#4 METAL SEPARATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Oculus Rift should fit this game really well. I think I'll get one when the consumer version will become available eventually. Will be rocking my heavy metal in real 3D pwning other mechs in the round ;) :D

#5 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm curious how it handles HUD elements and also how it deals with (or doesn't deal with more like...) head tracking if you have anything to add to your experience with it.

I am really looking forward to Oculus, since my pit is uniquely well suited to make full use of this hardware. I can fully operate all of my controls while blindfolded, and MWO isn't even complicated enough to need all the buttons I currently have accessible on my HOTAS, so there's room for expansion too.

I hope they high-gear it and greet Oculus with ready/open arms... besides the obvious absolute blast it would be to play MWO with, this game could sure use some street-cred.

Edited by Loc Nar, 19 October 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#6 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

The game isn't designed for the Oculus yet of course, so the HUD elements are in the corners and almost not visible.

I'll post a video as soon as I am able.

#7 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Dug this up, thought you'd enjoy the read:

http://mwomercs.com/...513-gdc-update/

I think you'll find it just as teasing as any PGI post ultimately is, but it's got a generally "you'll have to wait and see, tee hee, tee hee" vibe to it.

#8 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Apologies for the sound quality. The delay between head movement and action in game is not actually not long at all, but it may seem that way sometimes since the videos weren't synced perfectly at times. Also apologies for the terrible commentary, kind of hard to talk when lasers and bullets are right in your face!

#9 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Very interesting. I noticed 3DoF when you were in freelook, which is 1 more axis than we can currently use in game. Pitch/yaw are normal and expected, but seeing you roll your head gives me hope that at least head tracking support might not be as far away as I assumed.

HUD looks normal here too, is it different when your 'inside'?

#10 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostLoc Nar, on 20 October 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

HUD looks normal here too, is it different when your 'inside'?

The map and the rest of the UI elements do look like they're sort of floating in space in front of you, which I think is rather cool. The problem is when the scene depth is turned up too high it doesn't know how to deal with the cockpit and HUD, so they diverge so much that it looks like you're playing cross-eyed.

The rest of the HUD elements are hard to see though, as is usual with games not designed for the Oculus. I was unable to see the enemy damage indicator as anything but something very hazy in my peripheral vision, and my weapon information was also far too off the edges to look at comfortably. I could actually make out my own damage indicator pretty well, but that was only because the bottom of the screen should've been lower than what it was.

I would love to actually try and play with the head tracking controlling only the camera with the regular controls for the torso and aiming, but there's unfortunately no way to torso twist while freelooking from what I gather.

#11 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostCatamount, on 19 October 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

Also, an Oculus Rift, Elite founder and Overlord Phoenix? My gaming budget is becoming jealous of yours ;)

Well I got my Oculus for work-related reasons...that may have been slightly influenced by other reasons. :D

#12 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Is there any way to lock CTRL to head movement and keep torso twist mouse bound? It seems a little. . counter intuitive to have torso controlled by head movment [though the lateral movements are very interesting]

#13 CiV5

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:49 AM

If MWO start supporting the rift, I might come back and play this game again.

#14 The Captain

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:46 AM

Thanks Kriwan; I didn't know there was a way to play MWO with the Oculus until I saw your video!

MWO is actually a great game to play with the rift, since torso movement with the head doesn't change your movement direction; any other game with auto bound head aiming would make you feel sick as moving your head changed where you were going (I had this problem with GTAIV and TrackIR). MWO is also pretty playable with most of the HUD unreadable; Betty lets you know when anything particularly terrible is happening (ammo running out, critical damage, jump jet fuel is low), and all you really need to know is who to shoot. :P

To get this working, you need an Oculus, a 14 day trial install of TriDef 3d (http://www.tridef.com/products/pc), the TriDef Ignition beta (http://www.tridef.co...17438b00bacc842), the tridef oculus addon (http://www.tridef.co...php?f=24&t=3907). After installing, run ignition, add a new game profile of MWO, and launch MWO from the tridef ignition launcher. I had to turn my MWO to low details to get a playable framerate in combat (30+).

The hotkey menu for Tridef is on the numpad, so you'll want to unbind your MWO throttle hotkeys. Hit Num0 in game after launching into a match to bring up the menu, and use the numpad to navigate. With the following FOV settings, you should just barely be able to see the ready button in your peripheral vision when you load a game.

I had to play with the TriDef 3D settings a little bit to get them decent enough to be playable. The usable resolution on the RIFT is too low to make out any text other than large text in the center of your screen.

The settings that worked for me were performance quality high, 3d scene depth 5, HMD quality to high, HMD FOV override to both, 50 (output), 70 (game), 100 (safe). Pressing Num+ is a shortcut to switch to the "safe" FOV which lets you change to a usable FOV for aiming, while the 50/70 default FOV is good for movement and checking your HUD (enemy dmg indicator is visible at this FOV, for example). Your normal zoom which relies on FOV is basically made useless up by these FOV settings, so the safe FOV shortcut gives you back a ~2X zoom (extremely important since the rift is so low res!). Scene depth 5 lets you focus your eyes on the cockpit just by looking at it, and gives a slight 3d effect when you're focusing out of the cockpit.

In game, the oculus will roll with your head, and moving your head will move the mouse and torso. It's actually more intuitive than you'd think; since the mouse moves faster than the torso, the camera movement is somewhat dampened even if you move your head a decent amount. I ended up using the mouse for most aiming and movement and my head for small corrections and looking around. It's pretty awesome tracking an enemy mech with your head to keep a beam on target. The head roll tracking really keeps you from getting disoriented while moving your head, too!

The 3d is awesome and immersive, but I found myself basically debilitated when being hit by enemy fire and when explosions were going off. Missiles and lasers incoming and outgoing are awesome though! Situational awareness also feels a lot harder to maintain; not quite sure why, but I found myself having more trouble than usual getting into turning battles with nimbler mechs. You're also SOL if you want to keep an eye on capture status, objectives, HUD waypoints, ammo and weapon status, etc. If you want to have an awesome time shooting, however, the rift is for you! Just expect your ELO to go down for a while until you get the hang of it. :(

#15 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

Is there any way to rebind that head tracking to the CTRL movement?? I'm a light pilot by trade, so being able to scan the windows while keeping my cockpit oriented forward is an extremely valuable asset.

Not to mention it gives you just a little bit more tracking range with arm mounted weapons...

#16 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

I want to do this eventually but Im hoping MWO will have seperated freelook from the reticule by the time occulus has a consumer model, I would like to look around the cockpit and aim/torso movement with my mouse.

#17 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

if they could shift the ammo and damage indicators onto panels in the {LT-MOB-25} pit or make an option to project them onto the cockpit glass i recon they'd be easier to read, it's basically trying to figure out how close that bit of graphics is to you and in game the map, ya ammo, the score etc all stay exactly where they are on the screen even if you look around ya {LT-MOB-25} pit, like its built into ya pilots glasses/contact lenses or futuristicly tattooed into their eyes who knows?? The occulus try's its best to create an image in a hard to reach place in the periphery of ya vision at point blank range and its really hard to just glance at so stick it on the {LT-MOB-25} pit glass please DEV's

hahahaha accidentally put a space in cockpit and it got censored

#18 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Oculus/MWO depress me when I'm realistic about the situation. When I consider how much difficulty even high budgeted teams with vast pools of real talent and high motivation to excel have as much difficulty implementing Oculus in a manner that does it justice, I feel there is no reason whatsoever to expect PGI will ever be able to pull it off even if they wanted to, and there is no reason to even think they want to.

They have consistently demonstrated a general disregard for all things immersion. For Christ's sake, TrackIR, the low hanging fruit has not even been implemented despite 2 years of dangling this carrot, and that does not even req a revamp of UI elements or special knowledge for integration! PGI has not even managed to make triple monitor work right in 2 years, let alone SLI/xfire or even peripheral support that doesn't leave people in the lurch. Those are things other teams breeze through... teams that are struggling with Oculus.

Now add to this their complete lack of awareness of simulation sickness (MWO breaks almost all the rules, and scores poorly in this dept...) and how to avoid it and mix in the Oculus, and you have a recipe for disaster, even if they ever did decide to add this support someday soonTM.

#19 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

solid!

#20 Slechtvalk

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Just wonder myself, if oculus rift works with free head movement, why doesnt trackir?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users