Advanced Targeting Options

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see more targetting controls? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see more targetting controls?

1. No (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. Yes (15 votes [93.75%])

Percentage of vote: 93.75%

3. Yes, but I have different ideas (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

I really, really wish we had more advanced targeting options. Let me tell you give you some examples.

1) You're in your light mech, running circles around enemy mechs in a big fight, with friends and allies on all sides. Suddenly someone from your team calls out a new target, mech B, for whatever reason. Maybe it's an LRM boat causing trouble, or maybe they need help finishing off a wounded assault mech. With up to 12 enemy targets in sight, you need to press Q and start looking over the battlefield to find your target.

2) You're in your heavy mech sniper or LRM boat, and there's a wounded enemy mech that just needs one more solid hit to be taken out. Someone identifies the target, mech F. Unfortunately, all the enemy mechs are in a tight formation. You can see all of them, but when you aim towards your target and click R, you get mech A, mech E, mech G, and not the target you want.

Here's my suggestion:
  • Create more targetting controls, such as pressing R for target under reticule, T for closest enemy target, Y for closest target that is targetting you. These have been basic targetting commands in space sims for 20 years, and they're very useful.
  • Create a pop-up HUD interface covering only a small area of your screen. When you click a button, let's say O, you get a pop-up list of all available targets. Kind of like when you click a button to bring up a large map, except that the large map covers the whole screen, and the targetting interface doesn't need to.
    As you're looking at the list of all available targets, just click A, B, C, D, E, F or whatever else, and you'll have your target. Very useful against tight formations when pressing R is too inaccurate and takes too long.

#2 whiteknight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

I would also like having a "Target under reticle" command

"Target Mech targeting me" Probably doesn't work that well in the current information warfare paradigm, but maybe

Something should definitely be implemented to target by letter faster, maybe 'target next letter (available)'

Edited by whiteknight, 20 October 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#3 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

Probably all things that COULD be implemented with C3, which at this time, is just a place holder item.

#4 Moses Lanknau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

since evry mech on the radar gets already assigned team wide a designation letter, it should be easy to integrate something like specailbutton+A-L to quick select one of the 12 targets.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 20 October 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

Probably all things that COULD be implemented with C3, which at this time, is just a place holder item.

Sorry, I'm not up to date with all the gamer lingo. What is C3 and how is it just a place holder item? I thought C3 was just teamspeak stuff.

View PostCSR Moses Lanknau, on 20 October 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

since evry mech on the radar gets already assigned team wide a designation letter, it should be easy to integrate something like specailbutton+A-L to quick select one of the 12 targets.

Yeah, I considered that. It might work, I just figured it might be confusing to press Ctrl+A for Target A, if you're already using WASD for the controls, I thought it might be weird to use Ctrl+A. I don't know.

#6 Calon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 October 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Sorry, I'm not up to date with all the gamer lingo. What is C3 and how is it just a place holder item? I thought C3 was just teamspeak stuff.

He's talking about the Command Console module.

http://mwo.gamepedia...Command_Console

It would be nice if it had a use.

Edited by Calon, 20 October 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#7 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:32 AM

C3 is not command module >.> its part of the C3 network. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/C3

that being said, i would LOVE this. i hate trying to find "X" when the enemy team is in a clump. its a real pain.

#8 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

i like your idea Alistair... bring it on, PGI, especially the "target window" with all available targets would be great, at best with the target´s letter (A, B, C...) displayed would help ALOT with coordination in 12v12

Edited by Alex Warden, 21 October 2013 - 06:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users