501 replies to this topic

#321 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Quickie regarding Light Scale, I made these to settle an argument with someone COUGHAlexCOUGH, regarding whether or not the Jenner was too large (visually, not game balance-wise) and that the lights were all badly scaled.

Lights are probably my favorite in MWO, unfortunately for me, I really just don't like piloting the Jenner, I mean, it handles great, but there's something about it that I just hate, which of course means, LOTS OF SUFFERING for me! As pretty much every other light is Jenner food nowadays, I still enjoy running around in a Locust now and then, I'm too much of a tryhard to try and run my Commando anymore though, I rather not ruin it's perfect 4.0 kdr.

BUT ANYWAY, that's besides the point, most of the mechs in MWO are kinda poorly scaled visually, like the Centurion, but the light class is sort of the magnus opus of MWO, they're all perfectly scaled with each other, the pilots fit into all of them perfectly with no changes to the geometry, and aside from the Commando, the pilots could see reasonably well out of all of them with the aid of a few external cameras.

Here's a line up of the lights, I snipped the jumpjets and arms of the Locust and Spider off since, technically they're the highest points on the mechs, but they shouldn't really be counted for scale purposes, since, they're protrusions rather than actually part of the mechs core:
Posted Image
Top view:
Posted Image
Side view:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And now for pilots!
Top view:
Posted Image
Side view:
Posted Image
Side view with overlay:
Posted Image

And that's all for now!
Posted Image

#322 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

View Postharuko, on 09 December 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Hey guys, I wrote something up regarding Atlas scale on Rebbit, I might as well post it here too for anyone who's ever been curious:
"Hey guys, couldn't help but notice the discussion on Atlas scale and it's disconnect from in-game. Before I proceed with the image dump, keep in mind these are ALL MWO assets from in-game, every single one, this is all stuff found in-game.

Anyway, to begin, here's a wireframe of the Atlas with the Pilot sitting inside on the right eye like it does in-game.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Looks like he fits fine right? Well he does more or less.
...Except he can't really see at all, see that? That's his waist right there.
Posted Image

This doesn't dissuade me from my opinion that the Atlas pilot should be looking out of the nose (the nose window could be a little bigger than the current 'slit', probably a little more like a triangle), with the eyes as sort of side windows

View Postharuko, on 09 December 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

BUT ANYWAY, that's besides the point, most of the mechs in MWO are kinda poorly scaled visually, like the Centurion, but the light class is sort of the magnus opus of MWO, they're all perfectly scaled with each other, the pilots fit into all of them perfectly with no changes to the geometry, and aside from the Commando, the pilots could see reasonably well out of all of them with the aid of a few external cameras.

Didn't you already make the point that the pilot actually can't fit inside the Commando at its current scale? Are those feet still poking out of the Commando's neck, or was that just when you were trying to fit it on the side of the head instead of the middle?

Edited by DirePhoenix, 10 December 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#323 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 10 December 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

[/size]

This doesn't dissuade me from my opinion that the Atlas pilot should be looking out of the nose (the nose window could be a little bigger than the current 'slit', probably a little more like a triangle), with the eyes as sort of side windows

Didn't you already make the point that the pilot actually can't fit inside the Commando at its current scale? Are those feet still poking out of the Commando's neck, or was that just when you were trying to fit it on the side of the head instead of the middle?

Yeah and looking at the Spider it should be taller than the jenner which running around at the same height yet has a lot more density.

#324 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 10 December 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

[/size]

He can, just not on the side of the head, he'd have to sit center with no external view, same with the Atlas pilot, like you said.

#325 Charles Fornton

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Amazing thread.

#326 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

View Postharuko, on 09 December 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

Quickie regarding Light Scale, I made these to settle an argument with someone COUGHAlexCOUGH, regarding whether or not the Jenner was too large (visually, not game balance-wise) and that the lights were all badly scaled.

Lights are probably my favorite in MWO, unfortunately for me, I really just don't like piloting the Jenner, I mean, it handles great, but there's something about it that I just hate, which of course means, LOTS OF SUFFERING for me! As pretty much every other light is Jenner food nowadays, I still enjoy running around in a Locust now and then, I'm too much of a tryhard to try and run my Commando anymore though, I rather not ruin it's perfect 4.0 kdr.

Here's a line up of the lights, I snipped the jumpjets and arms of the Locust and Spider off since, technically they're the highest points on the mechs, but they shouldn't really be counted for scale purposes, since, they're protrusions rather than actually part of the mechs core:
Posted Image
Top view:
Posted Image
Side view:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And now for pilots!
Top view:
Posted Image
Side view:
Posted Image
Side view with overlay:
Posted Image

And that's all for now!
Posted Image

nice piece, but sorry, the Raven is pretty blatantly larger than the same tonnage Jenner, even accounting for more slender legs (which really aren't that much more slender, while markedly longer). Torso overlay from side, front and top will show that the "core" is as wide and deep on the two chassis, while the beak has significantly more volume than the dome of the jenner, especially as the Raven is so much taller, including it's torso.

Digging the Commando/Thinker though-

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 December 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#327 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

I'm late to this (very cool) thread, but this image on the first page made me bust out laughing for some reason <_<

Posted Image

#328 Wolk89

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

Nice Job. Looks realy Awesome.

#329 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

Hey guys, been having some fun with the new moon base assets, I love me some space shenanigans so I had to dig into them, I'll go more into depth about what I've been up to tommorow, so for now I'm just gonna dump some preview pictures:
Posted Image

I've been working on custom colors as well as patterns.

Posted Image

Also a little mech melee scene, this was just something of a precursor that I made for fun, I plan on working on the actual scene tommorow.

I've also been working on giving the Battlemaster a fully detailed interior, complete with working monitors:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll give an overview on what all the monitors do as well as button functions tomorrow.

#330 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:34 AM

Also a quickie regarding the new mechs.

I've been looking forward to the Griffin, I think it looks cool, didn't spend money on it though, but I wanted to look around it's cockpit anyway, and you know what's super cool?

It's fully detailed! Well, sort of:
Posted Image

This is a big deal, as PGI fails to realize that barely anyone except new players actually ever play with default fov, the problem is that all the cockpits are modelled around the default FOV, which annoys the hell out of me because if you look to your side not only will you see the giant open space behind your in-game cockpit, but also the fact that past a certain point the cockpit stops being detailed. I'm a little annoyed that they waited unti AFTER Phoenix to learn their lesson but hey! The Griffin and Wolverine both finally have detail that extends past 60 fov, as well as a wall to close off the cockpit so you don't see a giant opening!

Posted Image

Looks pretty great, wish I could try one in-game, I'm still not very happy with the random way they throw buttons around the cockpit though, I mean like, what would the ones with the question mark over them even do? What function would they serve?

Also fun fact: with very little resizing, the cockpit actually corresponds to the in-game model
Posted Image

I haven't checked the Wolverine yet, but this is good, it means maybe they're working on matching the models and cockpits better, so we don't have disasters like the Commando? Then again I think it's just that the Griffin has ridiculous FOV so it was easy for them to match it up to the model.

I've also noticed the Griffin has no ejection handle, like, at all, is that a lore thing? If so it's pretty cool of them to pay attention to that, since, the Spider has no eject yet it has the handle anyway.

And as always, keep in mind the pilot model I use is 5'7", the in-game pilot is 6'1", so he would be a lot larger inside the cockpit.

Edited by haruko, 19 December 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#331 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:38 AM

Like the work with the game resources you do.

On an unrelated note.. do you believe that's a fitting suits for a Mechwarrior!!
IT'S NOT CASUAL FRIDAY!!! ;)

P.S: i found an interesting/odd effect in the Griffin at the Startup sequence, there is some mesh or texture clipping at the bottom right side of the screen. At first it gave me the impression of being part of a helmet texture but since it only happens with Griffin it seems it's something related to the chair/back of the cockpit.

Edited by Lord Perversor, 19 December 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#332 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:40 AM

View PostLord Perversor, on 19 December 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

Like the work and with the game resources you do.

On an unrelated note.. do you believe that's a fitting suits for a Mechwarrior!!
IT'S NOT CASUAL FRIDAY!!! ;)

It's always casual friday at KONG Interstellar ;)

#333 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

View Postharuko, on 19 December 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

I've also noticed the Griffin has no ejection handle, like, at all, is that a lore thing? If so it's pretty cool of them to pay attention to that, since, the Spider has no eject yet it has the handle anyway.

Here's the list of quirks:

GRIFFIN:
This Battlemech has a built-in spotlight for night operations.

Any shot that would hit the head of the Griffin from the left or right sides have a 1 in 6 chance of striking the armor baffles on the right and left arms. These baffles will only give 2 extra points of protection and are then destroyed.

Armor baffles will absorb one critical hit to the knee actuator from the front.

Heavy battle fists give this Mech +3 damage when punching.

So... nope. I don't think there is any specialty for Griffon going on in that category.

#334 Tristan Lorius

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

can you guys tell me how to get the game art into 3DS Max 2014, PGI recently modified how the file structure worked and i don't know how to import things anymore. help would be appreciated!!! :)

Edited by Tristan Lorius, 19 December 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#335 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

Posted Image

MELEE

#336 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Now that I have school off until next month, I'm using this free time to learn some more, and when school is back in the quality of my work should improve since I'm finally taking classes! For now I'm making a space scene as a test bed so I can learn a few things.

Posted Image

#337 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Is that an Explorer I see?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Explorer

E
dit:

Oh. Could also be a Merchant. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Merchant

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 19 December 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#338 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

Poor Centurion. Awesome work Haruko. Who knows maybe one day you can try to recreate the Battle of Turkkayid via ART!

#339 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostDomoneky, on 19 December 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Poor Centurion. Awesome work Haruko. Who knows maybe one day you can try to recreate the Battle of Turkkayid via ART!

Ohoho soon as the clan mechs are in-game I plan to, by then I'll have enough classes under my belt to actually make it cool too.

#340 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

not sure if that ohoho was a laugh or not but I just had the image of the back of hand laugh

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users