1 reply to this topic

#1 UwasaWaya

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 22 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm sure I can't be the only one who's had this issue, but I would like to ask if anything has been put forth to address the issue of colorblindness in players.

The biggest culprit here is centered around the console... it wasn't until last week that I found out my own icon was a different color than my lancemates. Before then, I thought you just had to coordinate between minimap and larger map to find your location and heading.

Occasionally, it's difficult to see the target box around a mech or my own reticle, depending on the map.

Another problem is the enemy armor readout. I have an extremely difficult time discerning at a glance an enemy's status, and it makes coordinating fire needlessly difficult.

A smaller complaint, though one I understand, is that some maps, namely Therma, Caustic and Forest have very bland, dull color schemes, and many mechs tend to blend in with the background. Obviously camouflage is supposed to do this, so it isn't a huge deal, but it's still irritating. I feel removing the film grain might help this out.

Now, I think that these changes would be both easy and accommodating. Battlefield introduced an option setting that let you choose between adjusted HUD coloration depending on one's particular brand of color blindness. Alternatively, allowing the player to select their colors themselves would be ideal, if not more complex. Lastly, a simple switch to high contrast colors, such as blue for no damage, yellow for somewhat damaged and dark red for critical should address most people's difficulty.

Changing the colors of the HUD wouldn't be difficult, and it would go a long way to making the gameplay more comfortable for players like myself.

Thank you for reading.

#2 Giant Bob

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationRoute 66

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Closely related: I'm not colorblind and I have great difficulty with the DARK BLUE TEXT selected by some freakin' rocket scientist for the Team Chat color. If anything will 'cause me to stop playing this game it's going to be a stinking forums ban for posting something "colorful" on this subject. Solution? Why, what do you know, user-selectable color palettes? Who'da thunk? And with that revolutionary news to you, good day, sirs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users