Bring Awesome,kintaro And Orion Up To Speed

10 replies to this topic

#1 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

One of the biggest balancing issues in MWO is the mech design itself .

Sure some mechs like Cataphract and Viktor make up for low arms with uniqe hardpoints and sometimes jump jets .

I am talking about mechs that are extremely similar to other mechs in hardpoints but inferior in design .

AWESOME VS STALKER

The hardpoints for both are very similar (lasers/missiles)

Both mechs got hit by an avalanche that is Ghost heat . Ghost heat is needed but ER PPC dosen't need to cost 15 heat by itself . Try to shoot 2 ERPPC and then 5 medium lasers . If you don't why have a mech with 7 energy points .

However Awesome can't shoot over hills and his weapons are akwardly positioned making it even harder to pilot .

WIth 300 Engine beeing 1.5 tons lighter than 305 , STD 300 is optimal for both mechs so awesome has no real advantage .

Orion vs ATLAS

Orion has low arms,big torso,no jump jets,mixed hardpoints . Its a 75 ton mech that is forced to be played as a 100 ton atlas .

Kintaro

THE *********** ******** is almost as big as viktor ! He has no jump jets ! THeres even no varient with 5 lasers . Yea and his arms are low . WTF

Since Awesome,Orion and Kintaro are big fat targets maybe PGU could move some of leg's max armor on CT and shoulders?

like LEG max armor 60>55 CT 85>90 .

Also maybe just increase the defult speed by 4 km/h for christsake . Any buff is a step in a right direction

Edited by MadCat02, 21 October 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#2 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

So 7 Energy points on any Mech is to many and yet 4 energy points is simply not enough? Hmmm, perhaps 5.5 energy points would be a good compromise then. :)

#3 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 21 October 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

So 7 Energy points on any Mech is to many and yet 4 energy points is simply not enough? Hmmm, perhaps 5.5 energy points would be a good compromise then. :)

You can use 5Large lasers or a cominations with medium and large lasers . however 2ER PPC with any 4-5 lasrs results in so much heat tehres no point in having so many energy slots .

Edited by MadCat02, 21 October 2013 - 07:10 AM.

#4 Genesis Rex

• PipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUnity City

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

I agree that some of the mechs you mentioned need to be examined and adjusted. Currently there is no real reason to run an Awesome instead of a Stalker, save for--perhaps--the low cost of the Awesome compared to the Stalker.

However I feel that the dev's energy is still better spent getting UI 2.0 and CW online before tweaking mech designs. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see an overhaul until after 2.0 goes live. In the meantime I'd use Smurfy to try and force those mechs into support niches not currently being filled by more popular designs.

#5 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

Only bad players play the Orion like an atlas.

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostDocBach, on 21 October 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

Absolutely. You play them like a Marauder! :)

#7 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

Yeah... the good players play them like a commando!

#8 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

The Orion will be fine once weight limits are in. Sure - it basically runs like a baby Atlas. (I don't run one - but it's what I've seen.) But saving those 25 tons will be quite useful.

The Kintaro is far faster than the Victor. Perhaps you could make the argument that the Shadowhawk replaces the Kintaro. (similar but with jump-jets) but not the Victor. Plus again - weight limits will make assaults much more uncommon. 55 tons will be close to the average though.

Edited by Charons Little Helper, 21 October 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#9 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

What do you play orion like ? SNIPER? Any other heavy mech does a better job. What do you paly orion like a brawler? If you play Orion as a brawler you need weapons and if you load weapons you get slow .

Anything else is a big fat mech without firepower

Edited by MadCat02, 21 October 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#10 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

I play it as a maneuver element, it's nimble enough if you put a decent engine in it and can still carry great weapons.

#11 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I have really got to start paying attention to the OPs name before clicking a thread so I can avoid reading any of the tripe this guy writes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users