Bryan Is Showing Ui 2.0, Dx11 And Moon Map On Twitch

174 replies to this topic

#141 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Love that UI2.0 gives us such cool descriptions for the weapons "Medium Laser: A medium powered energy weapon with mid range and mid damage". Thanks guys, that's awesome - really immerses me into the BT Universe.

HPG Manifold (Moon?) does look pretty cool, but it seems to suffer from the same "Earth-Bowl" map design as all their other maps.

#142 KovarD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 473 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 22 October 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

I would say the maps here range from Mediocre to Pretty Decent, with Terra Therma being an outlier at "pure garbage".

This is the original Terra Therma:

Funny fact, one of the best looking Mechwarrior Online map is just copy-paste of MWLL artists work. B)

#143 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

well the ui 2 looks really nice so much better than now
there is one thing i missed though... where was social menu? or is it under not yet implemented tag? B)

and that moon map looks so damn good... cant wait now

#144 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Greetings all,

Reference the Landing Pad being close to any living area. I think you may be confusing current engine designs and there noise with what ever systems may be used in this timeline. Chemical engines are very to extremely noisy, whatever tech is being used in this time period may be very quite. Remember the Hollywood stuff from "Star Wars", ships could take off with people standing on or near the same platform, but that's Hollywood. Mos Eisley, and the capital city come to mind first. Yes the massive drop ships required at least a Km clearance distance for there landing/launching pads, but smaller ships only required a parking area to service them.

Many of the Battletech books describe storage or holding tanks located very close to work or habitation structures, heavily shielded or constructed just for that purpose. Just look around your current city, notice the propane, oil, gas, storage tanks. Yes they are in commercial/industrial zoned areas but still close to residential or business areas. Now add in the future materials that may need tank storage and we may not have "explosive" materials at all. (as an example; many propellant materials are inert till combined. Or even just coolant liquids.)

All for now, just saying,

9erRed

#145 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostKovarD, on 22 October 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

...snip...

Funny fact, one of the best looking Mechwarrior Online map is just copy-paste of MWLL artists work. B)

Very much so. One of the absolute strengths in Living Legends was map design. The mechs themselves looked rather crappy at times, but the map design was absolutely spectacular.

At least I remember map being fun. Terra Therma is nearly painful in its execution.

#146 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

View Post9erRed, on 22 October 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Greetings all,

Reference the Landing Pad being close to any living area. I think you may be confusing current engine designs and there noise with what ever systems may be used in this timeline. Chemical engines are very to extremely noisy, whatever tech is being used in this time period may be very quite. Remember the Hollywood stuff from "Star Wars", ships could take off with people standing on or near the same platform, but that's Hollywood. Mos Eisley, and the capital city come to mind first. Yes the massive drop ships required at least a Km clearance distance for there landing/launching pads, but smaller ships only required a parking area to service them.

Many of the Battletech books describe storage or holding tanks located very close to work or habitation structures, heavily shielded or constructed just for that purpose. Just look around your current city, notice the propane, oil, gas, storage tanks. Yes they are in commercial/industrial zoned areas but still close to residential or business areas. Now add in the future materials that may need tank storage and we may not have "explosive" materials at all. (as an example; many propellant materials are inert till combined. Or even just coolant liquids.)

All for now, just saying,

9erRed

Interesting... but if i remember correctly Dropships use fusion engines and expell plasma for propulsion, thats a VERY noisy thing... kinda the same way mech jumpjets work Only much much much much bigger. I think the noise level of a dropship taking off would still warant any space port to be build far away from any residential areas. After all its not only the noise from the dropship taking off, you have all the other activity on the space port to count for.

Even todays airports are so noisy that no one wants to live anywhere close to them. And those who do have my pitty for sure.

Star wars thought has anti gravity devices, something that does not exist in any kind or form in the battletech universe. Hovercraft in the battletech universe function how hovercrafts function in our world... with the destinction that they are much more compact and efficient then what we currently have.

Also "close by" does not equal next door. Close by for me means that you can reach it per car in around 15 minutes or even 10. But what we have here is heavy industry right next door to an apartment building.

I mean even on coruscant in the star wars universe the gigantic industrial zones where far out away from the places where everyone lived... and the whole planet was covered with structures.

#147 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostKovarD, on 22 October 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Wow that is a spectacular MLL map. On that note it would cool to start a match in a base mech bay or something. Some mechs in some outside in the base. Add some flavor to the whole thing. This map truly looks functional.

Ck

#148 Detrimus

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostTexAss, on 21 October 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

http://www.twitch.tv...man/b/472237522

I give him an A for effert but a D for execution B)
Sound is echoing.
The moon map looks sick, very Doom/Quake like

Just got confirmation it's also using DX11 https://twitter.com/...366525216071680

Thanks for this, I had no idea this was available.

The new UI is such a huge improvement over the one we have now. I'm really impressed with all the new data and options made available.

The moon map is really impressive. I'm really happy supporting this game, because the developers are really making some amazing strides. MWO is shaping up to be the MechWarrior game I've always wanted!

#149 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

Around 17 minutes in you can see his framerate. What kind of a computer is he running this on that he's not getting 60fps in the mech lab??

View PostRiptor, on 22 October 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Even todays airports are so noisy that no one wants to live anywhere close to them. And those who do have my pitty for sure.

I appreciate your pity.

Really though, once you get used to the noise, it's not so bad. F-16s taking off at 3am again? Roll over and go back to sleep, don't even notice it.

#150 stinkypuppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 153 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the great plains of canada

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

anyone else disappointed about the new map? i was expecting a battle over a cool moon base like in mechwarrior 4 mission 1. that was a pretty cool moon base and notice the HPG's where buildings in the base rather than being some large super structure. also i think this is just their excuse for making a map that's mainly just a arena. also i think the mechs will just look like transformers.

#151 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostSkinless2, on 21 October 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Is anyone else getting a hit of Total Annihilation nostalgia while looking at the new map? I swear that main arena area looks just like Core Prime would in FPV.

I noticed this too and I'm very happy about it.

#152 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

it looks like Bryan's son not only MWO tests, but also recently created the maps ... Map looks like this from the early days of PC games (Descent/Doom), an FPS arena structure with a greeble texture to finished ... no more than 2 working days for these fail..the new Mechlab very reminiscent of the redesign of the user interface in Hawken, away from the clarity and ease of use, and easily comparable figures to confusing menus that are visually cluttered with completely irrelevant curves and bar charts

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 22 October 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#153 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Now we're getting somewhere!

#154 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Overall it looks good. The sorting of the mechs is the main thing. But no full paper doll is unbelievable! Someone actually thought that was a good idea?

New map reminds me of the mission in MechCommander 2 where you have to sneak in and ninja destroy a HPG transmitter station on a moon.

#155 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostZekester81, on 22 October 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Tthe HPG structure doesn't make sense other than to look cool. No one is arguing that it doesn't look cool, just that it would fit in as a Halo map better than an MWO map.

Lore said:

Standard Planetary HPG

The most common and familiar version in known space, the planetary HPG consists of a gigantic antenna dish surrounded by an installation that includes fortified EMP damping architecture, independent power supplies and large facilities for staff and operators. While stations of the original Star League and the Clans are integrated into the communities they serve, their vulnerability to attack during the Amaris Coup resulted in ComStar developing separate heavily protected compounds. These massive ferro-concrete structures are virtual mini-Castles Brian designed as much to defend ComStar personnel from outside attack as to separate them from the influences of the general populace, with many featuring extensive supply caches and even accommodations for BattleMechs and Combat Vehicles.

With their faith in ComStar's neutrality finally shattered by the actions of Operation Scorpion in 3052, the Great Houses seized control of the HPG stations within their realms. However, initially lacking the ability to run the network they employed the now secular ComStar to do so on their behalf, though the Free Worlds League chose to allow the splinter Word of Blake faction control of the FWL HPG stations. As HPG technology slowly began to disseminate to the states of the Inner Sphere, despite the significant differences between ComStar and the Blakists, the HPG network ran relatively smoothly save for occasional instances of Blakists' propaganda inserted into messages.

Castle Brian

The textbook definition of a Castle Brian had a minimum of twenty heavily armed turrets carrying an assortment of direct fire and missile weaponry, fifty smaller turrets and a hundred smaller antipersonnel bunkers. These were usually the only visible structures of the fortress, which was usually built deep inside a mountain and safe from all but the heaviest nuclear or orbital bombardment. An average of ten levels allowed enough space to store two brigades, which could quickly emerge from any of five secret exits.

The map is legit. Your lore is not.

Edited by xhrit, 22 October 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#156 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

View Postssm, on 22 October 2013 - 02:10 AM, said:

[/font]
I don't think it's typical HPG Station. It looks more like some sort of transciever station - remote, Star League-old, fully automated, probably forgotten even by Comstar. Vast, open spaces inside would suggest that it was actually unamanned (as was a lot of similar complexes during SL era), and in cases of emargency - serviced by Industrial Mechs.

Hmm, sure I'll buy that... making it more likely target for taking over. Playing with fire still if CS gets wind of your spider hopping around the stations dish. I'd still appreciated them giving a nod to lore and keep mechs out of the HPG itself
And like some others mentioned, it does look like it's run by the borg :blink: does make it look more scifi tho

#157 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

:blink: Wow...

That moonbase map is the first MWO map that I've found truly breathtaking. The structure is HUGE. Brobdingnagian even. Much like Tourmaline Desert, it looks like what a Mechwarrior 2 map would be, if that game were made today.

Here's hoping it's thoroughly playbalanced and not just eye candy.

#158 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

View Postaniviron, on 22 October 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Around 17 minutes in you can see his framerate. What kind of a computer is he running this on that he's not getting 60fps in the mech lab??

I appreciate your pity.

Really though, once you get used to the noise, it's not so bad. F-16s taking off at 3am again? Roll over and go back to sleep, don't even notice it.

Hah.. can only imagine how loud that must be.. i live right next to a train station. The trains you can get used to... but the drunken people at weekends... ill never get used to that.

Whats it with drunken people in the middle of the night and train stations anyways?

Also isnt falling ice a problem when you live near an airport? I know here in germany people that live next to them have reported chunks of ice falling into thier gardens smashing everything they come into contact with. Anyways....

We are talking space ships here that have to overcome the gravity of a world... ships that are big enough to house several mechs + support vehicles + supplys + the crews. Thats gotta be earshattering loud.

View Postxhrit, on 22 October 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

The map is legit. Your lore is not.

The bit you quoted also said that the facilities where made to house mechs and vehicles. The structure of the floor inside the base and the random geometric formations still makes no sense. Also all we have is a satelite dish and some deathstar power generators. Nothing else suggests that this facility is actually usable.

Also there are no buildings or hangars inside the courtyard that suggests that vehicles or mechs could be stored here, the generator building doesnt even make any sense either. Why would you have your most delicate and possibly destructive powersource exposed to the vaccuum of space like that where it becomes incredible difficult to work on it if something gets damaged?

Imagine the costs and difficulty of replacing one small conductor inside those giant reactors under these conditions. That is simply not feasable.. especialy if you think about the fact that during the time when these instalations where build comstar was still considered to be a corporation first.. and corporations build to maximize their profits, not to make their assets as cost intensive as possible for the sake of it.

There are no vehicles in the courtyards, no housings no lodgings no nothing. The bit of human activity that can be seen is completly outisde the facility.

And while your post explains why the base is fortified it also shows how unfinished and unfunctional the base actually is if its suposed to work like in the example you have given.

So thanks for making our point i guess?

Edited by Riptor, 23 October 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#159 Broken Doll

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

it looks very clunky and unintuitive. menus within menus etc

#160 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:26 AM

View PostRiptor, on 22 October 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

The bit you quoted also said that the facilities where made to house mechs and vehicles. The structure of the floor inside the base and the random geometric formations still makes no sense. Also all we have is a satelite dish and some deathstar power generators. Nothing else suggests that this facility is actually usable.

All those components are undergrounds to provide additional shielding for the personnel from radiation.

51 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 51 guests, 0 anonymous users