174 replies to this topic

#161 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:26 AM

Whe I see the weapon graphs in the for the UI. I'm not sure if it has any use only to show those graphs - more important is the comparison. And of course much more important to compare several weapon systems on a specific mech.

Is there a function where I'm able to blend multiple weapon systems together - maybe not as weapon system itself but - for example after building a Mech - for example with 2 PPCs and 5 MLAS - that show me that i should switch towards the MLAS at 340m and below.

Would be a good addition to modify the Rate of Fire as well as the limitation by heat - like it is standard for TT Mech Building tools like Heavy Metall pro, Solaris Skunk Works - or the good old Drawing Board.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 23 October 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#162 Bammbus

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

UI2 definitely NEED a full-loadout map of the mech, similar to smurfy's.
other case it absolutely no improvements comparable to old mechlab

these huge icons with the same picture (engines etc) must have a way to switch for smaller view, for faster pick-up of needed one, instead of gamer is forced to do millions of clicks, mouse moves, switches to complicated unclear tree to get mech configured/ It will be far more useful to have all engines (for instance) listed in viewable area, neither its is necessary to make annoying scroll to needed one just because they have a HUGE unused icons.
At least a switch like in Windows Explorer file view is essential - huge, big, small, detailed view
ideally it needs to be fast and allocated in one screen for everyday use

at the moment it seems like it will usually makes for impression - first impression - huge, everyday usability - annoying
especially with all of this everywhere spammed confirmation windows, which leads to get these windows from 5 to 9 time every time you want to move mech parts and modules from one to another

usability - first of all pointed for the everyday use, not to show enormous size SAME icons with different names for weapon selection etc. Much useful when item can be picked up instantly from compact list

Some icons for mech and pilot skills are confusing and uninformative. Like heat containment icon gives no idea that it will give better cooling. More like it seems it will give more fire.

smurty have almost ideal loadout screen which shows in 3-4 times useful details in the 2-3 smaller screen area. The only smurfy tool is the way atm to fast and wise made adjustments to the mech configuration in simple and understandable way

even in the present UI loadout parts is MUCH faster can be chosen due to absence of unneeded scrolling-for-searching
the filters for the engines will be also very handy - like power range and std/xl checkboxes(from 200 to 240, XL only for instance) Check out how many page downs you need now in central torso equipment section

for weapon damage graph - NEED to have an area where all installed weapon graphs can be viewed similar to smurfy(weaponlab button). Then you can achieve best firing range tuning for your mech. Other case there is no big use in these graphs.

When you change weapon for right arm and right torso, you will not see visual changed in you mech - view is obstructed by loadout map of the chosen part. If the list of equipment is taken twice less space in horizontal, then you'll have the ability to see your mech full picture all the time. In shown video you will be forced to close loadout screen every time you want to see changes to the right side of your mech

There will be very handy to see sensor range calculated value, depending of modules and upgrades installed.

in the good part, half of screen occupied by mech itself - is a very best part of new UI, definetely makes its easier to see your robot while configuring colors and loadouts

thank you for attention

Edited by Bammbus, 23 October 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#163 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Your grammar gave me internet-itus, a terrible disease which I have just made up.

Also honestly I must disagree. The paper doll is nice but not all together necessary in my opinion. In mechwarrior 3 it was basically not there. In mechwarrior 2, the paperdoll was only there when you were allocating criticals. Mechwarrior 4's lab didnt have a paper doll, but that lab was so weird anyway that it didnt matter. I rarely use the paperdoll as it is, its finicky and annoying. The dropdown menu on the left will be much smoother.

Edited by pbiggz, 23 October 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#164 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:54 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 23 October 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Your grammar gave me internet-itus, a terrible disease which I have just made up.

Also honestly I must disagree. The paper doll is nice but not all together necessary in my opinion. In mechwarrior 3 it was basically not there. In mechwarrior 2, the paperdoll was only there when you were allocating criticals. Mechwarrior 4's lab didnt have a paper doll, but that lab was so weird anyway that it didnt matter. I rarely use the paperdoll as it is, its finicky and annoying. The dropdown menu on the left will be much smoother.

I think what people mean with paperdoll is the actuall model of your mech and not the little stylized paperdoll.. dont use that one either, except for allocating armor to the back.

But what it boils down to in the end is personal taste. What i was missing from the UI and i might have just not seen it in what bryan showed was a total number of critical slots left.. wich would be neat to have if you use endo or ferro.

[color=#959595]All those components are undergrounds to provide additional shielding for the personnel from radiation. [/color]

Youre really scraping the bottle of the barrel here heffay to come up with reasons to justify bad map design... nowhere on the map does it suggests that there are hangars underground for mechs.

Also we need to shield the personal from radiation so not to endanger them... but we expose the most delicate equipment that has to be under constant surveilence (namely the fusion reactors) to the vaccum of space in gigantic halls made for mechs (wich doesnt even begin to make sense.. why would you allow mechs to have free access to the heart of the facility? Thats a military nono... i dont build a ramp for tanks down to the very core of a nuclear reactor either now do i?) with no aparant way to even interact with the reactors (like walkways, cranes or god knows what) so that in case of a malfunction it would take friggin forever to repair anything?

Also i plate the entire floor of said facility with random bits of geometry that makes it hazardous for both mechs and vehicles to cross it.. because reasons...

Oh and no.. it was not made for industrial mechs.. industrial mechs where used for building roads, cutting trees and harvesting grain. They where not however made to interact with bloody fusion reactors or any kind of reactor at all. Industrial mechs are clumsy and unwieldy and would cause more damage then good trying to interact with something like a reactor. Heck most of em where so primitive they run on combustion engines for crying out loud. I dont know about you but i would not let one of those clunky things near something like a reactor.

Damn.. i like to talk about this nonsense way to much -.-

#165 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostRiptor, on 24 October 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

Youre really scraping the bottle of the barrel here heffay to come up with reasons to justify bad map design... nowhere on the map does it suggests that there are hangars underground for mechs.

Also we need to shield the personal from radiation so not to endanger them... but we expose the most delicate equipment that has to be under constant surveilence (namely the fusion reactors) to the vaccum of space in gigantic halls made for mechs (wich doesnt even begin to make sense.. why would you allow mechs to have free access to the heart of the facility? Thats a military nono... i dont build a ramp for tanks down to the very core of a nuclear reactor either now do i?) with no aparant way to even interact with the reactors (like walkways, cranes or god knows what) so that in case of a malfunction it would take friggin forever to repair anything?

Also i plate the entire floor of said facility with random bits of geometry that makes it hazardous for both mechs and vehicles to cross it.. because reasons...

Oh and no.. it was not made for industrial mechs.. industrial mechs where used for building roads, cutting trees and harvesting grain. They where not however made to interact with bloody fusion reactors or any kind of reactor at all. Industrial mechs are clumsy and unwieldy and would cause more damage then good trying to interact with something like a reactor. Heck most of em where so primitive they run on combustion engines for crying out loud. I dont know about you but i would not let one of those clunky things near something like a reactor.

Damn.. i like to talk about this nonsense way to much -.-

Fusion reactors? That's what is on the surface? Can you point the labels to me? And I'm trying to figure out where I said there were mechs underground... You're arguing points I never even made.

You're really stretching for reasons to hate the map. You're creating a conclusion in your head ("map sucks because PGI sucks") and then generating a narrative around that. It's pretty transparent, and I can only hope that you're aware of it. And due to the rather obvious biases you have, it makes your reasoning incredibly flawed. You only accept your version of how things can be (no living quarters, fusion reactors on the surface, fusion reactors CAN'T be on the surface because of made up reasons X, Y and Z, industrial mechs are designed to cut down trees and not work on fusion reactors) and dismiss any possible alternative to that.

You're telling quite the story in your mind. How about instead of coming up with stories about how it can't work, you come up with stories on how it does work?

Edited by Heffay, 24 October 2013 - 04:12 AM.

#166 Antasius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I gotta say, the walls and floor skins for the moon map are overly delicate and complex. One good mech foot stop on that detail and most of it would break like the breakable fiddly-bits they look like.

And a note on sound, here's a quote from Moon Zoo:
"It is generally understood that there is no sound on the Moon because its atmosphere is negligible. But what if an atmosphere is brought to the Moon? That was the case with the Apollo astronauts and their space suits; a self-contained atmosphere which allowed for voice communications. What is intriguing is that the sound of Alan Bean hammering on the core sample tube, which is external to his space suit, can also be heard. The reason is that the sound vibrations were conducted into his suit with each blow of the hammer, moving on up to his helmet similar, in a way, to sound vibrations on an old style Gramophone. The microphone in Alan Bean’s helmet picked up the sound and radioed it back to Mission Control on Earth."

I don't know what kind of moon you're going for, but this may spark some ideas of how to make it feel more moon-like in general.

Edited by Antasius, 24 October 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#167 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

To high Building only builds ...
when Ground is rare or expensive ...
Military and technical equipment to build moderate expansion in area or in depth.
Why Static complicated structures when the HPG can build complex single storey 300m beside it, with easily accessible maintenance and supply tunnels.
What ramps whom there are lifts and Montagecranes? Moreover, where no vehicle can use these ramps, because everything is covered with installations on the ground.
what are mechs in such systems, if it is easier to defend in small courses with infantry ... as useful as a helicopter battle on an aircraft carrier or a tank battle in a hangar or a fight between nuclear submarines at a naval base.
Even with Star wars, the generator was off, because this is also important for accidents, a single High complex is just a huge simple statically unstable target.The last stand of evry Fight is the Infantry..not Mechs,Tanks destroyed Miles for the Main target in Defense Fights

This Station ...great Walls, (to small for Living Quarters) Ramps, for a Gigantic Empty Room with 4 Generators ...nonsense for the Near Fiction of the BT Universe

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 24 October 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#168 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostKovarD, on 22 October 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

This is the original Terra Therma:

Funny fact, one of the best looking Mechwarrior Online map is just copy-paste of MWLL artists work. :)

Its sad that non-professional modders with an older engine made a Terra Therma thats looks 3 times better than the one in MWO. :lol:

#169 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

Frozen City is very inspirated from the fall to Berlin Map from Battlefield 2142

Posted Image

#170 w0rm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostSmithMPBT, on 24 October 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Its sad that non-professional modders with an older engine made a Terra Therma thats looks 3 times better than the one in MWO. ;)

Yeah they should hire the mappers from MW:LL and port their Maps to MWO.

#171 KovarD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 473 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

View Postw0rm, on 24 October 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Yeah they should hire the mappers from MW:LL and port their Maps to MWO.

PGI prefer to ask MWLL to desist of their mod and copy their stuff.

And plus, MWLL hates MWO for that. Sannyasi (MWLL enviroment artist) is working on 2 another games, and others members are working on way better places than PGI, like Starcitizen.

#172 FREDtheROLF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:09 AM

UI 2.0
What are the main tasks a player got to do in the UI ?

- choosing the mech he wants to drop with.
- check if the mech got the weapon loadout he had in mind
- check if the mech got the right modules loaded.
- figure out in which mech a module/weapon is if you wanna put it into a mech you wanna drop with
- change ... ehrm actually switch between standart loadouts for one mechvariant based on the needs of the group you are goin to drop with ( saveable loadouts would be helpful on that one)

And from what I have seen in the demo even the new UI does not improve these tasks.
sorry but color and free moving 3d mech model is nice and cool looking but not more than that.

FtR

Edited by FREDtheROLF, 25 October 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#173 Superslicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAlton, hampshire, uk

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

Ui looks console like and very cluttered, another dark horrible map for me to quit before I start, nice.

#174 Ransack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

The new map looks interesting. Bryan playing with the mechlab looks a lot like the launch party slide show, so I guess it is consistent. It has a long way to go still.

minor nitpick, in my opinion there is no way that this should have even been shown with "Configure Mec" all over the screen

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users