27 replies to this topic

#1 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

I am not new, been playing since closed beta, this does not mean I am the best pilot and I have plenty of room to improve, and with that said I would like to ask for help or explanation as to why I get ripped to shreds in a face off using the same weapons, armor where it should be, focusing fire as best I can, and in same or heavier mech than I am going against. Seems like some players have infinite armor when watching the rag doll as some call it. Good example would be that I hit them in the CT with 4 ML and they glow alittle bit but they hit me with the same and I am already crited out one more I'm down, this is happening across the board in all the mechs I run and not all the time either. I understand when being surrounded or you have concentrated fire from several opponents but not one on one or even two on one, you should be able to stand your ground for at least a little bit. ;-]

#2 Frisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

First key of Mech Fight club... learn to spread damage to components of your mech that aren't critical (when being shot). When shooting mechs, besure they're targeted so you can make the most of your heat/damage.

If you're being surrounded and focused down I would say 2 things:

1. Stop getting out of position.
2. Stay with your team.

#3 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Not a whole lot of information to go on, Spot... Maybe try putting more of your armor on your front CT and taking some off of your rear?

#4 FullMetalJackass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Twist your torso to spread out the damage this will greatly improve your survivablity. Don't put ammo in your CT, unless you plan on burning through it quickly, only your legs then head(1st place ammo gets used from). Like Frisk said stay with the group more than likely you are getting hit by more than one Mech and just don't realize it.

#5 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

I do try and torso twist and turn opposite directions to spread damage, this is sometimes hard to do in the heat of battle but I do try. When I am on a team that actually behaves like a team the two points you made are not hard, it's when a bad one leaves you standing that problems occur. As I said in OP I understand when out of position and away from team like when holding back to LRM or Snipe, but not when coming in to deal damage and with little to no damage on me or the opposing mech with same or similar load outs just flat out dealing unbelievable damage per shot. Wish I had video capture to show some of this! I know it's low info but don't really know what to look for, or just how to explain this issue. I have maxed armor on everything I run due to this problem and sometimes that does not help. What troubles me is that if this was a consistent problem I would have a direction to go but it is not. I try and be consistent in my tactics and how I pilot the different chassis and this was my first attempt at curing the problem but it is not working so thought I would ask here.

#6 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

It's possible that your paperdoll is updating as fast as you are taking damage, so it looks like you are pristine when in fact you have taken damage. Add in the same with the enemy, ie you shoot them and it it doesn't update their doll then they kill you which likely forces an update...

I would suggest tweaking your PC for better performance, Blackviper.com is a great place to start. Now if you have an uber quantum mechanics pc with 42 gigs of RAM etc, then not sure what to say.

#7 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Are you overheating at all? In any match you should aim to never overheat, or at worst once when you are going to die anyway.

If you are dueling, and overheat at any point in the fight they will win if they stay powered up.

The other possibility is down to aim. If they keep their targeting on your CT more, even while you twist. Your reticle might drift slightly between say, the CT and one of the side torsos. This will split your damage over two areas, they might have done all theirs to one area.

You can see this by people who know where to aim on different mechs. Over the arms on Atlas, under arms on Jagers etc. This way even if you are twisting, they can stay on target for longer due to the angles of attack.

Finally, it is very rare for a fight to be truly one on one. A stray shot from one of their team mates at a critical moment can make all the difference. With the bug at the moment where you don't hear or see mist of the damage warnings you probably won't even notice they had backup shooting you too.

More info like your favourite loadout, mech you run etc could help us give specific advice also. Hope this helps.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

How do you normally allocate your armor (with regards to front/rear)? Even with maxed armor, if you've got more than you need on the rear, your front is still going to be weak.

By way of example, I don't really ever put more than 15-20 points of armor on my rear (and the faster the 'Mech, the less rear armor I assign), and then I put all of the rest on the front.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

Please build your mech in this. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab So we can see the armor allocation. Be certain to try and match your build as close as possible.

Here is an example.

(As an ironic statement, the Misery build I run has 40 armor in the rear, and is renown for "impossible" survival in many situations)

From the comments here, the others seem to be under the impression you might be running standard heatsinks or at least running really hot. I'm not thinking this is the case, otherwise you'd be describing a fight more like this.

What is your FPS (F9) and what is your processor, ram, and graphics card? There might be something underlying here.

#10 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

OK, happened again last night playing with group I normally play with against a cent-AL, here is the link to the build I was running. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...06b5ba3752a79a6 There was two mechs on kappa and I was going to help remove them so we would not lose. The other was a HL don't know which, hit the cent with at least 2 of three LB10-ACX rounds in CT point blank as well as with the lasers following up barely any damage to him at all, I was pretty fresh by the way! He hit me from an angle not dead on with SRM's and lasers took me down to nothing and the High Lander finished me with one LL to the CT this is what I do not understand at all in this game. As far as PC goes I would not think any issues would be coming from there I have i5 3.4G, Win7 Pro, 16G RAM, EVGA 660 TI card with 6G GDDR5, latest drivers. I usually run more armor on front CT and less on rear but this was what the armor allocation was for this match and all the others we played which by the way went well with the tactics I use, this was at end of match by the way and I was not out of position or not with team as 2 were dead and the other was trying to stop point build up and loss on another base as I was. Ping runs about mid 50's by the way.

Edited by spottiedogman, 23 October 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#11 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

In the video I only wish I could last that long in a fight like that, whom ever is piloting that mech is facing off even more than I do when what we are discussing happens. I try very hard to do what he is doing to spread damage!

#12 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

You went up against 140 tons with 65 tons, and you're wondering why you lost quickly? It's not surprising to me at all.

I have never heard of this kind of thing being an actual bug or problem with the game. Especially since you say it's ALL 'Mechs.

It's very likely that you're getting hit with more lasers than you think you are. Many 'Mechs have multiple energy hardpoints in one location, that all shoot from the same spot (or very near) on the 'Mech. So a couple of lasers may appear as one beam. Playing since closed beta, you should already know this.

And you cannot use the death screen as a count of the weapons that hit you. Each weapon type is listed, but not the count of each -- so if you get hit and killed by three large lasers, only one large laser entry is shown on the death screen. You should already know this as well.

To get the real story, we would have to spectate you. If you run with a team, you should have them do that and tell you if they think you are dying too quickly. I personally don't think you are -- it's just your perception.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 23 October 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#13 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

Durant has made a couple of great points that I'd like to add too...

1 ) Centurions are insanely durable even if you hit it perfectly Center Torso with both of those shots you wouldn't have killed it.
2 ) Centurions and Highlanders both have Energy Hardpoints that are so close together that it looks like 1 beam. In reality you probably got shot with 2 Medium Lasers from the Centurion and 3 Large Lasers from the Highlander. That and you say the Centurion hit you with SRMs. You were shot by 2 MLs (10pts), 2xSRM6 most likely on the Cent AL (24 pts), and likely 3 LL from the Highlander (27 pts) for a total of 61 points of damage. Since you mention shooting the LBX 3 times it is likely that you in fact took 2 shots from the Cent and Highlander for something on the order of 122 points of damage plus whatever else the Highlander was carrying besides the LL.
3 ) You were outgunned in the engagement and that rarely works out even when the opponents are damaged.
4 ) Even piloting one of my Master Rated Victors I'd have never engaged those 2 Mechs alone. Without JJ, normal, Speed Engine, and having taken some battle damage before your odds of winning that fight were ZERO to NIL.

I assess your main difficulty in not understanding the enemies Mech. Your TDR is a fine build but I don't think you are correctly assessing the threat you face from the enemies.

#14 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Points well taken and I was not expecting to win that fight but had to try or just set back and lose to capping, I don't care one wit about KDR so I would rather go down fighting ;-). I do know what a Cent has because I like and run those myself and I don't take down nor do that kind of damage in one salvo with mine, don't run HGN's so probably need to study those as you suggested. Would like to add that I just got through with a match and was spectating and watched this very same thing happen to two BLR's engaging each other at the end of the match with one hitting the other with 6ML's and SRM6 point blank, did not register any damage at all but the other BLR's hits registered fine, later this same BLR was engaging another and still was like 90%, this was not as close range a match up and damage was registering on him then. Wonder if this was due to range of engagement and a bug exists?

I would like to state that I am not pointing fingers at anyone just looking for what might be going on with my play style. I really appreciate all the help!

Edited by spottiedogman, 23 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#15 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

I wonder if there is some strangeness going on with hit detection and ping. Though I have only the most anecdotal evidence to go on.

For instance, everyone complains about spider hit-boxes, right? Now, I am very low ping for MWO, 30 to 60 or so most of the time.

When I pilot a spider, I just die. If I am seen and fired upon, I get hammered and am down in less than 10 seconds if I can't reach cover, fast. Ballistics, lasers, missiles, PPC's, doesn't matter what they are shooting, I just die.

Yet I spectate others in spiders "doing the same things I do" and taking what appears to be far too much damage. And this is me spectating the spider player, watching how they play and watching weapons hit them.

And I see other similar things - If I walk out in the open in a Battlemaster, twisting torso like mad between shots, even timing my twist to occur as the enemy fires, I die. Battlemaster walks out in front of me and three friends, we unload on him, he lasts easily twice as long as I would

Naturally, some of this is just perception, I'm sure.

But I do think there is some "sweet spot" for your ping whereby you end up taking less damage than someone of a higher / lower ping. Just a hair-brain theory at this point.

#16 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Alpha Warrior online! Where it's a race to core your opponent in mere seconds ! He'll never know what hit him !

#17 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Not a computer guru or anything but have also wondered just how ping affects just how hits and damage are registered, I know that this is supposed to be happening on server side but that does not mean there are not problems even if they are intermittent. I do use Alpha strikes when it seems like the best choice but do not use it constantly or build my mechs with that in mind but that's just me.

Edited by spottiedogman, 23 October 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#18 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

I try not to get upset when some one blasts me away in no time at all but it is hard!

#19 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Try using a mech with jump jets. Start jumping when you think they're ready to shoot. Then pay attention to how all the damage is distributed. You'll notice that you live longer simply because they're not landing every shot in the same spot. You'll also get legged more often.

It just sounds like you're getting shot in the same spot, which will get you killed very quickly (ie. alot faster than you can kill them)

I have survived 3, 4, even 5 mechs all firing on me for significantly longer than I thought possible simply because I was jumping and firing, twisting all over the place, etc.

#20 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

View Postspottiedogman, on 23 October 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

did not register any damage at all but the other BLR's hits registered fine,

Spectating is not the "real view"! It isn't! I can not emphasize this enough. What you are seeing is the players ping + yours. What you think should be hits HSR is showing you as misses and vice versa.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users