27 replies to this topic

#21 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

Spot, Ping is the 'time' it takes for your computer to talk to the server and back again, the lower the number the faster the connection. In an FPS which MWO is in that category this would normally favour the people with a low ping rate. However PGI to balance the game out for the vagouries of internet connections introduced HSR.

HSR or Host State Rewind calculates the position on your client, where you took the shot, and then its trajectory and then off the information from the other game clients calculates the enemy mech positions and figures whether you actually hit them based on their game position. In other words when you see and shoot a mech at a particular instance on your client, the other players mech may actually be at a slightly different position due to the fact you both have different information transfer rates between the clients and the host server.

This is where the 'phantom' damage comes from, you get no impact but suddenly show damage to an area of your mech.

The HSR combined with from what I have noticed with Hit Detection and some wonky hit boxes, lends to situations where you fire at a stationary target and do no damage. I have noticed solid torso hits not doing damage, and it tends to actually be a hit on a seam line between hitboxes. Especially with single hit weapons such as AC's/PPC's. It sometimes seems to be that you hit a seam and the server doesnt know whether to spread the damage between the two hit boxes, randomly assign it to one or the other box or apply none to either.

All these factors combined together can cause situations where your target appears to take little damage despite yourself seeing weapons impact.

Edited by ManaValkyrie, 23 October 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#22 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostLevon K, on 23 October 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

Try using a mech with jump jets. Start jumping when you think they're ready to shoot. Then pay attention to how all the damage is distributed. You'll notice that you live longer simply because they're not landing every shot in the same spot. You'll also get legged more often.

It just sounds like you're getting shot in the same spot, which will get you killed very quickly (ie. alot faster than you can kill them)

I have survived 3, 4, even 5 mechs all firing on me for significantly longer than I thought possible simply because I was jumping and firing, twisting all over the place, etc.

I didn't want to brag but since the subject is now broached.
I only pilot Jump Capable Mechs.
I only run PUG.

This morning I killed an Atlas, Awesome, Hunchback, and got a nice bite out of a Thunderbolt at the end of a match 7 vs 1. With no CT armor at all. I did it in a Shadow Hawk with JJ. Killed the Atlas myself... jumped behind the Awesome and let his team mates shoot the {Scrap} out of him and then killed him, fried the Hunchback who inexplicably had an XL engine, and then tried for the Thunderbolt.

My point here is maneuverability = life.

There is nothing nefarious occuring. Your Ping isn't screwing things up. On your build HSR is working fine.

Apologies: You are the issue.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

View Postspottiedogman, on 23 October 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

In the video I only wish I could last that long in a fight like that, whom ever is piloting that mech is facing off even more than I do when what we are discussing happens. I try very hard to do what he is doing to spread damage!

That was me in that video. Stock Fang against a custom-built one. I died shortly after from LRM fire and it was a tough fight. Standard heatsinks can really suck in this game.

I took a look at your build and assuming you can't do a larger engine, I came up with this. But I must say a slow Thunderbolt is a dead one so a bigger engine as soon as you can would be very good. I changed the AC weapon to something that'd be more focused. I also gave you the PPC for a bit more concentrated range. Tie the MG in with the lasers, this assumes you have 3 firing buttons. It's preferable to support someone that is larger than you who will draw more attention. You're a fat, wide, but short target. The plus side of this is that most people will ignore you if you don't draw too much attention. Between fighting you or a battlemaster, they'll go for the battlemaster first. Use that to your advantage. Try not to be stationary though if you can help it, I headshot a Thunderbolt accidentally the night before last, it's awfully easy.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...37eda8b8d20f50a

Honestly if you have an XL, I'd throw some LRMs into that mix too. I'll be running recorded thunderbolt vids soon.

Far as your computer, you're superior to mine in everything except processor (and identical in regular ram). So the problem isn't there. I'm seriously thinking it's the lack of speed. In closed beta it was fine to go that slow as no one could alpha worth anything. Now? It's nothing but alpha strikes. It's too dangerous to be slow.

#24 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

Thanks Koniving I will try that build, I do have some xl engines of various sizes but usually don't try them if I am having trouble surviving with the standard. Any suggestions on Size xl?

I see that the general consensus is that it is my skill as a pilot which is what I was assuming thus the post for help.

Where can I go on TS or what ever to get someone to help me further my skill or at least spectate me and let me know how to improve?

#25 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

Here check out this thread and specifically the post I link.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1215853

#26 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

As a general rule of thumb in making the switch from Standard to XL Engines...

Use the XL Engine whose rating is 50 more than the Standard.

So for your Thunderbolt the STD 260 gets replaced by an XL300.

The idea being since XL Engines take up 6 additional slots you want engine ratings that will save 6 slots by allowing additional Engine mounted Heat Sinks.

#27 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

View Postspottiedogman, on 22 October 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

I would like to ask for help or explanation as to why I get ripped to shreds in a face off using the same weapons, armor where it should be, focusing fire as best I can, and in same or heavier mech than I am going against.

1) They may be a better pilot. For example, twisting at the right moment to spread damage.

2) They might be able to fire their weapons more or better than you because they have better heat management skills or simply more heat dissipation ability. Or they are a better marksman.

3) The hitboxes are different for every mech. Some mechs have really easy-to-hit hitboxs. Some are hard. The Spider is notorious for being hard to hit. The Stalker's cockpit is almost impossible to hit from the front.

Seems like some players have infinite armor when watching the rag doll as some call it. Good example would be that I hit them in the CT with 4 ML and they glow a little bit but they hit me with the same and I am already crited out one more I'm down

How much armor do you have compared to them? At best they did 20 damage...if 20 damage is enough to breach your CT, you have very light armor.

Did you hold all your lasers in the exact same spot or did the shot spread a little? Lasers only do full damage if you hold them in the exact same spot. I rarely see this happen in-game.

#28 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Spot: For Teamspeak Servers, there are plenty around. There is at least 1 main hub server for most of the house factions, there is the comstar NA and comstar EU as well as NGNG open servers.

This post http://mwomercs.com/...then-look-here/ has several links and teamspeak server addresses.

Failing that or if you want feel free to come over to the House Kurita Teamspeak Server and look around or ask for me and I would be willing to help, same as most of the players on our server. The House Kurita information is:

Addy: ts3server://housekurita.teamspeak3.com
Password: Yakuza

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users