Tip Of The Day

10 replies to this topic

#1 Schmandwerk

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

I see so many people firing MLs at 800m range, Streaks on 3-500m and someone accused me of cheating - again - because his 4 PPC Awesome unleashed fancy lightshows at me on 64m range.
Some people don't bother reading the wiki or even the description at the mechbay.

Please add following information to the Tip of the Day:

*PPC minimum range - like the LRM text

*Missile Max range - "SRMs self-detonate after 270m"

*Medium Laser long and extreme range with a short information on what that actually means, like: "The medium laser applies its full potential up to 270m range. Any damage further than 540m is reduzed to zero. Conserve heat!" or yada yada.

Edited "Pretty Baby" -> "Awesome" (keeping facts straight)

Edited by Schmandwerk, 24 October 2013 - 03:18 AM.

#2 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostSchmandwerk, on 23 October 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

I see so many people firing MLs at 800m range, Streaks on 3-500m and someone accused me of cheating - again - because his 4 PPC Pretty Baby unleashed fancy lightshows at me on 64m range.
Some people don't bother reading the wiki or even the description at the mechbay.

*Medium Laser long and extreme range with a short information on what that actually means, like: "The medium laser applies it's full potential up to 270m range. Any damage further than 540m is reduzed to zero. Conserve heat!" or yada yada.

Any information dissemination is a good thing in my opinion. The learning curve is so steep that anyone not familiar with Btech may not understand that at extreme ranges (or under min ranges) their damage output is severely hampered

#3 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yes on all those things. Although Pretty Baby can only hold up to two PPCs at any given time and only three slots of energy. But yes, more tips should be given in general.

#4 Schmandwerk

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yes, i'm sorry, it was an awesome with a fancy paintjob and it made a lot of helpless pewpew. ;)

Those three tips would help because 1. missiles and 2. as people see that theres some special deal to the medium laser they may get interested in reasearching that fact.

Edited by Schmandwerk, 23 October 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#5 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

if your reticule doesnt turn red, you are not doin damage.

#6 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

I see so many people firing MLs at 800m range, Streaks on 3-500m and someone accused me of cheating - again - because his 4 PPC Pretty Baby unleashed fancy lightshows at me on 64m range.

*Medium Laser long and extreme range with a short information on what that actually means, like: "The medium laser applies its full potential up to 270m range. Any damage further than 540m is reduzed to zero. Conserve heat!" or yada yada.

or maybe they should complete the tutorial with all weapons and equipment that's purchasable explained and demonstarted, along with a voice over. upon entering the mech bay for the first time the button that says tutorial will glow so newbies can get straight into knowing what the game is.

oh yeah we've only got movement cause that's the only thing pgi knows won't change at a later date so we've just got movement tutorial. no point in wasting resources on stuff that will change in the next patch.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 24 October 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#7 Schmandwerk

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:25 AM

Fun idea:

A tutorial mission in which you have to chase and kill a spider through an obstacle course followed by a "gauntlet" of 3,4 heavies firing some non-lethal but extra-shakey AC shells on you so you fail and fail unless you think about ignoring the spider and shooting the heavies out of pure frustration instead :)

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:05 AM

UI2.0 will put all that info in a prominent location. If there was a tip regarding weapon ranges, it should describe the different treatment of ballistics, missiles, and lasers regrding what happens past optimum range.

#9 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Really?!

You are expecting players to actually read and apply knowledge gleaned from the tip bubbles?

They can't be bothered to read and understand the info tab already and require a pretty tutorial to grasp anything above mouth-breathing because they are poster children for Ritalin...

I like your idea PO... I'm just afraid the best intention is lost on the console kiddies... :)

#10 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

... or yada yada.

This, this! :)
i want
... hitting "Launch". Loading. A tip of the day:
"yada yada mumbo yumbo hancy pancy dibada umga moomga hoochie ******* okie dockie - and heatsink!"
:)

#11 Schmandwerk

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

FinsT i absolutely support your idea.

Now it my be true that i'm overconfident on the reading skills of console kiddies, but i think i got quite some teaching experience. :)

"Yada yada kafoiwaiuoag norks raougerigun yadayada blarg jumpjets and YOUR MOTHER" would be an awesome Tip Of The Day.

In Warcraft 3 there were tips like:
"Pizza and beer go well together." or
"Don't pee against the wind." No sh*t.

While those tooltips make no real sense for the game at all - even though we're pretty sure on both i think - they draw attention to reading the Tip Of The Day!
Think about the Minecraft starting screen messages, if you want even the 'The Sims' loading screen progress messages (i think we cover a good spectrum of gaming now).
They already tried with the no-animals-harmed joke, a really cool idea, just a bit german i think.

So why not only include some hints on weapon ranges but also stuff people find actually funny or interesting, like statistics on the weekly PGI cannabis consumption in each developement phase (no allegations of course, i just know a bit on software developement too^^).

Do that and even the most illiterate vegetables (*cough* commonwealth *cough*) will start to read and maybe even apply their knowledge.

I'm most certainly sure this will work way better than any new fancy UI no matter how awesome it is. And even if, why not do both?! :lol:

Edited by Schmandwerk, 24 October 2013 - 02:48 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users