Any Competitive Phoenix Variants?

51 replies to this topic

#1 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

i dont own the phoenix mechs, but i would like to know if any chassis or variant could be used as a tier 1 competitive build.

i plan on getting the shd when it becomes available but would like to know community opinion on this.

ty.

#2 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Shadowhawk is a great mech. I will be pushing my clan to field these and maybe some other Saber package mediums if they're good. Once weight limits go in of course

Edited by Veranova, 24 October 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#3 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Once weight restrictions are in the Shadow Hawk will probably be the best one hands down. Hell all of the Phoenix mechs are OK/Pretty good, except the locust because it does not really do single combat all that well.

As for the Shadowhawk, It will run one of the following builds, all with jump jets:

4xStreaks, 2x Large Lasers

AC20, 2xmedium lasers

3xAC2, med laser

2xAC5, 2xmed laser

#4 D04S02B04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Battlemaster, Shadowhawk and Thunderbolts are viable but with vastly different playstyles between each of them. You should define your playstyle more indepth.

#5 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

well im not really concerned with my playstyle as more than yours and how you would use the different mechs variants in competitive situations ;)

#6 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

View Posttravelbug, on 24 October 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

well im not really concerned with my playstyle as more than yours and how you would use the different mechs variants in competitive situations ;)

I think you can find arguments for nearly all mechs being competitive, only a few variants are gimped. You need a few 1000 matches before your play will have enough experience to know how to balance your mech for you.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Once weight restrictions are in the Shadow Hawk will probably be the best one hands down.

Thats assuming players wlll switch to mediums. IMO players will just continue playing heavies and assaults and the queue times will be much longer while we wait for mediums. Thats all weight restrictions are going to accomplish.

#8 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

Tonight saw a few Battlemasters in 12 man. Prolly better options though, hard to beat the DDC since it has ecm.

#9 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

I don't do any sort of competitive play but I can say that in the normal PUG gameplay I've had a lot of success with the Shadow Hawk, Battlemaster, and, yes, even the Locust. The Shadow Hawk is especially impressive at times. The Locust has a lot of potential if you learn to pilot it right, especially after Speed Tweak and even moreso after getting that x2 next to Basic. The Battlemaster has the potential to handle like a Victor (sans jump jets) with the firepower of a Highlander. Nasty stuff.

I can't speak to the Thunderbolt just yet as I've only played a few rounds with the Phoenix variant and have maybe dropped once in one of the other two, but I've seen some folks do pretty well with it on the scoreboard.

#10 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

well my playstyle is more of a brawler or striker. i sometimes go sniper. im usually in a heavy or medium but i dont mind piloting assaults. i dont pilot lights because i get vertigo with the abrupt head movements.

#11 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:00 AM

Every other light is better than the locust, but the other three Phoenix mechs are all competitive the sh is by far the best medium I own and I own them all, thunderbolt is a really nice heavy but phract still owns my heart for the heavy slot, battlemaster are a good solid assault it can take a pounding as well as a stalker and offers a good mix of loadouts and is actually a good candidate for using xls as its hit boxes are well placed and arms make great shields.

#12 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostKhobai, on 24 October 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

Thats assuming players wlll switch to mediums. IMO players will just continue playing heavies and assaults and the queue times will be much longer while we wait for mediums. Thats all weight restrictions are going to accomplish.

According to the preview - it won't work that way unless you're dropping solo. Each group will have a weight limit based upon their group size. (The example was a group of 2 limited to 125, group of 3 to 185, group of 4 to 250, group of 5 to 310 [approx - I might be a bit off] etc. - though he was sure to point out that the actual numbers weren't written in stone.)

Edited by Charons Little Helper, 25 October 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#13 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Yea, Shadowhawk is probably the best of the group (although the Battlemaster seems like it has a lot of potential too).

I like running my Shadowhawk with...
1 UA/C5,1 A/C2, 2 SRM4s, and 1 SRM2. XL295 Engine (although XL275 is plenty). I take any additional armor out of the arms if I need a little bit extra for ammo.

Once I ran a 1UA/C5 and 2 A/C2s (no missile or energy). The thing was BRUTAL, but ammo is a bit too scarace in that build for my tastes.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 25 October 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#14 HeftyJo

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

I've just finished elite with all 3 Shadow Hawk Variants last night. Terrific mech that can take on heavies and assualts when piloted skillfully. The 2d2 is nasty with 3 SRM6's and an SRM4 w/2 med laser -- 54 point alpha. I've popped many an arm off in one salvo. And the 5m with an AC/20, 2 Med laser, and 5x5 JJ is just too fun. Basically a pogostick Hunchback. On Crimson Tide I can jump up on some of the taller buildings, rain death from above, and when the enemy backs up and turns to shoot back up to me I just jump back down and circle around. But I also had success with dropping down to one JJ and a LB10X, SSRM2's, and med laser, combo or AC/5, streaks, large laser (with those it pays to run a BAP).

#15 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

It will end the 4man 733C premades in the PUG queue.

Comp players will have to practice heavy and assault lance cohesion in the 12man queue.

#16 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Not if they want to run 4 man pre-mades. PGI has already stated that their will be max weights for 2,3, and 4 man groups. More than one Assault mech per pre-made will not be possible unless the other two mechs are Locusts.

#17 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

Shadowhawk 2D2 will be the only phoenix mech to make it to the competitive scene.

JJ's + Ballistic.

Will have to wait and see if the Saber mechs can make an impact.

Edited by Roughneck45, 26 October 2013 - 05:24 AM.

#18 Thaxxar

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

I feel like I am handicapping my team when I take the LCT-1V(P). Any other light can have the same speed, much more survivability and more firepower. You can core one with one shot and the shape makes them easy to hit compared to a Spider. They are hella fun, but I never feel like I couldn't do more in the Jenner, Spider, Raven or Cicada.

#19 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

The Locust 1V is gonna take the competitive scene by storm. In fact, any of the Locusts could too, but the 1V really is something else.

Trust me. This thing is so close to P2Win it isn't even funny.

Edited by NRP, 26 October 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#20 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

I've been rocking the BattleMaster 1D with 3 Ballistic points.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users