Petition To Increase Free Mech Bays From 4 To 6

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the number of free mechbays with a new account be increased from 4 to 6? (196 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the number of free mechbays with a new account be increased from 4 to 6?

1. Voted Yes (128 votes [65.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.31%

2. No (68 votes [34.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

After the overwhelming no to 12 and the majority of 6 is ok I thought I would redo the petition.

I think that all accounts should come with a total of 6 mech bays. After that if you want more then fine charge MC for them, but I really think 6 free mech bays instead of 4 is the right way to go.

NOTICE: I've already got 28 mech bays, I'm not worried about it for myself, but I feel it can become a wall to people who are interested in the game but come up against this and then walk away.

#2 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

I would agree to this, if done similar to the War Thunder model. You get four automatically free Mech Bays when you sign up. You can then purchase for c-bills (something like 300,000 then 600,000) two additional Mech Bays. After that, it costs MC to buy the bays. Gives everyone a couple of extra bays, something else to grind for (a 1 million grind is not that much and may keep new players interested enough to get out of Elo hell), and doesn't really hurt PGI's bottom line. The idea of buying the bays for c-bills will get people used to the idea, and then switching to MC brings in the cash.

#3 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

You can never have enough mechbays.

#4 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

You need three to master and then you can get a fourth one in there if you need. That is plenty enough. Mech bays is a solid sale and a good thing to keep at it´s current level and price range.

This poll proves it if nothing else.

#5 Toong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

The problem with petitioning for more free stuff is it's something that most people will readily agree to. If I whip out five bucks and petition people if they want it, I will be out five bucks very fast. Of course everyone wants free stuff; the problem is, this petition doesn't ask why the free stuff hasn't already been handed out.

So the question is, what's wrong with 4 'mech bays? And why is 300MC ($1.67 USD, the smallest MC purchase allows you to buy four) too expensive? I personally like four 'mech bays. It's restricting, yes, but that's a good thing, because it encourages people to spend money on the game. And if you, as a player, can't be bothered to spend $6.95 on this game, then I don't really have much sympathy. Unless you're someone in a situation where you are incapable of paying. That totes sucks.

#6 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

4 Starting mech bays is fine. What PGI should do instead of increasing the starter mech bays is to allow for an additional 4 mech bays for c-bill purchase (maybe at 1,000,000 each).

This allows F2P players to expand their garage significantly while still maintaining incentive for eventual MC mech bay purchases and indeed whetting the appetite for more storage by giving them a taste. Retaining a hard limit on F2P mech bays prevents complete loss of sales potential while expanding the amount of potential free mech bays encourages players to invest more time in the game.

#7 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostToong, on 27 October 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

So the question is, what's wrong with 4 'mech bays?

in WoT, you're working for the next tier.
in MWO, you're just working for a "playstyle" that suits you.

#8 Toong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostKhanCipher, on 27 October 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

in WoT, you're working for the next tier.
in MWO, you're just working for a "playstyle" that suits you.

And if you need more than that, spend six bucks to get more. If you're going to respond to what I said, please do it enough justice by responding to my whole post, instead of taking one part of it out of context.

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

as I said in the previous poll, I always thought 6 was a better number but I doubt PGI will agree.

#10 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

i think mech bays should be purchasable for C-bills

current mc cost is 300MC so 1,500,000C-Bills would seem an adequate number (same as Double heat sinks)
enough that players dont need to buy mc however its certainly the easier and cheaper option
but Mechbays are the only non-free access item in the game (heros dont count due to regular variant options)
everything else has access , hell you can even get paint for C-bills, sure its not great but its something non green

i have spend a stupid amount of money on this game
but thats only because i love MW/BT as a whole and want to support it
it took me 3 years of playing league of legends before i spent $20
after i broke that barrier i spend some more but only because i felt the content had its worth

people like me in LOL need to be catered for in the F2P enviroment
they will spend, but only after the game has provided them the time and value
blocking access to mech bays would have driven me away by now if i was a fresh user

#11 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

Of course everyone would prefer 50 free mechbays, and all the colors and camos for free, and everything else to be available for Cbills. That is not a business model, though, that is recipe for disaster.

I suggest this kind of suggestion ("PGI, give us more for free/Cbills") to be permanently prohibited, so that Niko can just shut down the idiotic threads.

#12 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

I can't vote yes to this. Free players should be given very little. 4 bays is enough to fully master 1 mech and that is more than enough. Mech bays are also incredibly cheap.

#13 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

I like the War Thunder Idea, but Lets look at this logically.

Right now if I want to be effective in 4 mans or 12 mans I need an Elited out mech. That Means Mastering all 8 basics skills on 3 Variants of the same mech. I buy 3 variants of the same mech, I am now down to 1 open Mech bay.

Lets assume I decide to stick to ONE variant, (I think most players make different builds on each variant and play multiple variants of what they like, but still others select ONE variant build that they enjoy and sell the others.) So I've sold off the two I don't like once I got my one Variant Elited (or Mastered).

I can now buy Three more Mech Variants and repeat the process. And Sell off the two Variants I dislike. Now I am down to Two Mechs I like and Only room to buy two more mechs. Now it becomes Silly. I buy Two variants, Get them basiced out. I Sell one variant I like the least and buy the third. Selling the third variant once it is Basiced and my First Is Elited.

Finally with my last slot I buy one new mech, Basic it out, sell it. Repeat until I've done three. Kind of annoying to get only Four Elite Mechs. But I have My four and I enjoy them.

Now lets say I want to change my variants around, Lets say I like to separate builds of the same mech? I can't enjoy just clicking to the other variant. I have to completely re-build the mech. Four Mech Slots Lets you enjoy some of the game, but the NEED to level up two others of the same mech to get the one you like up to snuff Ruins this. I would imagine most players enjoy somewhere around 4 specific mechs. (I typically run around 4 mechs, and have other specific builds for certain situations or just plain having fun. [like a four LL DRG.])

I think Bumping it up just two slots, or allowing C-bill purchases would Help with Players enjoying the game a bit more realistically. They could keep Two Mechs, Master them and Keep the Four variants. Or they could go the full Four Mastered Mechs, (with some selling) While keeping two variants.

TLDR: The most a non-paying customer can have is 4 Elited Mechs. of Different Variants if He sells off extras. This means Longer wait times for players who want to alter their mechs Instead of grabbing a different Variant, as well as Longer time to re-buy if the player finds out the Variant they have isn't as good.

By Opening up two more Mech Bays from the start, OR allowing C-bill Purchase of Mech bays, It lets the Casual or Moderate gamer to Keep up to 4 Elited mechs and two variants for fun, or to Master out Two mechs with four variants. Overall Easier to manage.

#14 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostEnzane, on 28 October 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

I like the War Thunder Idea, but Lets look at this logically.

Right now if I want to be effective in 4 mans or 12 mans I need an Elited out mech. That Means Mastering all 8 basics skills on 3 Variants of the same mech. I buy 3 variants of the same mech, I am now down to 1 open Mech bay.

Lets assume I decide to stick to ONE variant, (I think most players make different builds on each variant and play multiple variants of what they like, but still others select ONE variant build that they enjoy and sell the others.) So I've sold off the two I don't like once I got my one Variant Elited (or Mastered).

I can now buy Three more Mech Variants and repeat the process. And Sell off the two Variants I dislike. Now I am down to Two Mechs I like and Only room to buy two more mechs. Now it becomes Silly. I buy Two variants, Get them basiced out. I Sell one variant I like the least and buy the third. Selling the third variant once it is Basiced and my First Is Elited.

Finally with my last slot I buy one new mech, Basic it out, sell it. Repeat until I've done three. Kind of annoying to get only Four Elite Mechs. But I have My four and I enjoy them.

Now lets say I want to change my variants around, Lets say I like to separate builds of the same mech? I can't enjoy just clicking to the other variant. I have to completely re-build the mech. Four Mech Slots Lets you enjoy some of the game, but the NEED to level up two others of the same mech to get the one you like up to snuff Ruins this. I would imagine most players enjoy somewhere around 4 specific mechs. (I typically run around 4 mechs, and have other specific builds for certain situations or just plain having fun. [like a four LL DRG.])

I think Bumping it up just two slots, or allowing C-bill purchases would Help with Players enjoying the game a bit more realistically. They could keep Two Mechs, Master them and Keep the Four variants. Or they could go the full Four Mastered Mechs, (with some selling) While keeping two variants.

TLDR: The most a non-paying customer can have is 4 Elited Mechs. of Different Variants if He sells off extras. This means Longer wait times for players who want to alter their mechs Instead of grabbing a different Variant, as well as Longer time to re-buy if the player finds out the Variant they have isn't as good.

By Opening up two more Mech Bays from the start, OR allowing C-bill Purchase of Mech bays, It lets the Casual or Moderate gamer to Keep up to 4 Elited mechs and two variants for fun, or to Master out Two mechs with four variants. Overall Easier to manage.

I agree with this and as you can see it's possible for a player who does not pay any money whatsoever to the running costs of MWO to get 4 elited mechs. Why should PGI give a players who does not wish to contribute anymore than this? It's supposed to be annoying to not have your mech bays so that you go and spend money to get them.

#15 Elric von Rabenfels

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

I own fifty-two mechs and have fifty-three mechbays.
I have enough mechbays.

But I absolutely wouldn't mind if players get more mechbays for free.

I'm a paying (spending way too much on this...) customer, but I never mind when the free players get some more goodies without having to cough up some dosh.

Edited by Elric von Rabenfels, 30 October 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#16 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostModo44, on 28 October 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

Of course everyone would prefer 50 free mechbays, and all the colors and camos for free, and everything else to be available for Cbills. That is not a business model, though, that is recipe for disaster.

I suggest this kind of suggestion ("PGI, give us more for free/Cbills") to be permanently prohibited, so that Niko can just shut down the idiotic threads.

and I vote that Niko should ban anyone who uses extreme hyperboles to blow things out of proportion. 2 extra mechs bays is a far cry from 50, free colors, free camos, etc. Allowing players to rant, rage, cry, whine, and otherwise be hateful little trolls is a far better recipe for disaster than 2 extra mech bays.

#17 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

OK, I would agree to six bays under the conditions laid out by Lord Ikka and supported by levi Porphyrogenitus above. Initially I voted No for the 12 bays idea because I understand the PGI position as far as MC is concerned and also agree with the point put forward by Toong. The difference here is the amount of C-Bills proposed at 1,000,000; this would take some time to accrue and so anyone willing to spend this much for a Mech Bay will IMO have earned it.

With the potential for six bays, this would provide the capability to take two Mech types all the way through the Pilot tree as it stands; a massive incentive and the opportunity to explore two complete types. For example Assault and Light.

Obviously this has to end somewhere, otherwise PGI don't make any money and MWO goes bankrupt. For this reason no 7 onwards must be MC only. I also think this opens another avenue for PGI; the ability to expand beyond the existing Pilot Tree for MC. New skills or incremental rises in existing skills; each designed to provide an edge in one field or another but only available via the MC route.

For those who would disagree on the basis that you would be buying your way to success, a proviso could be added that would take into account the time that you have been an active member of MWO. What do you think?

#18 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Anything that helps to bring people into this game I'm all for it.

#19 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostCorralis, on 28 October 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

I can't vote yes to this. Free players should be given very little. 4 bays is enough to fully master 1 mech and that is more than enough. Mech bays are also incredibly cheap.

No you want to give them more to work with so by the time they get to need new mech bay they are already invested in game like this its slim chance of that happening.

#20 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

I voted "No" because I think it should be upped to 8.

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users