159 replies to this topic

#1 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Personally I find them to be just about useless, not viable. To high of heat with the addition of Ghost heat on the 3rd one. I had an Awesome with 3 LPS and a few MPL that was good, but with Ghost Heat it's a dead horse.

What do you think?

#2 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

I run 2 of them on one of my Stalkers just so I can leg lights that come around.

#3 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

This should be a poll.

+1 for "Viable"

#4 Commodore Frank

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

I really want to like them, but I get far more done with regular old large lasers.

#5 Arkadash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWhere I'm needed

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostCommodore Frank, on 25 October 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

I really want to like them, but I get far more done with regular old large lasers.

Ditto.

The best use I've been able to squeeze out of them is to pair one or two with a MLAS; they have about the same effective distance and offer a 15-point stab.

#6 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Pulse-type lasers exist in MW:O for the sole purpose of being used by/against fast moving mechs. Their decreased pulse duration means they can hit a fast target, or be used by a fast-mover to deliver their hit as they run around quickly.

I would never ever suggest using Pulse Lasers for fighting Heavy vs Heavy, or Assault vs Assault fights because it's a waste of tonnage and range...

I don't really use Pulse Lasers unless I'm in a very fast Mech that's meant for short-range combat, as I'm not willing to allocate extra tonnage just for a weapons system meant to get the enemy fast-movers around me a the expense of my ability to fight against other, bigger enemies.

#7 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

Each LPL delivers 16.47 damage every ten seconds using continuous fire. LL delivers 12.72 in that time. Both values are before factoring accuracy (range, time on target)

#8 Cycleboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Very situation/build dependent. If you only have a couple energy ports, maybe if you are a missile boat, so you have a large close up punch. But due to the heat and weight, boating ML is more efficient... you probably used all your weight for the missile systems. You may get a lesser alpha, but you have more sustained fire before overheat. And that is what they are competing against, 2ML = 1 LPL.

#9 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

It's okay situationally. Most of the time the regular large laser is superior.

I use one on my anti-light shadowhawk.

Edited by Charons Little Helper, 25 October 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#10 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

THey need to do more damage to be viable, they're hotter and heavier and shorter ranged than larges, and I don't think anyone gets more effectiveness out of LPLs than regular LLs.

I very much want to like them, but they need more kick.

#11 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostWerewolf486, on 25 October 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Personally I find them to be just about useless, not viable. To high of heat with the addition of Ghost heat on the 3rd one. I had an Awesome with 3 LPS and a few MPL that was good, but with Ghost Heat it's a dead horse.

What do you think?

Viable in pug drops- Sure.

Viable in 12 man pre-mades- Not if you want to win.

#12 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

You can certainly use them, but the heat/weight/range nerf combo makes them poor value for what you pay. At least the large ones aren't double the weight like mediums I suppose.

I've personally never found myself thinking 'I wish I'd fitted pulse lasers' in combat, but when using them I often wish for the extra range of normal lasers.

#13 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostCommodore Frank, on 25 October 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Sadly, this.

I have exactly one build that uses the LPL, and that's because on that particular Mech I had exactly 1 energy hardpoint, 7 tons, and 2 crits available. Since the hardpoint in question needed to be used for point defense, the LPL was a fine addition.

They're just too heavy, too hot, and too short ranged to be useful in almost any other case.

#14 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 25 October 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Sadly, this.

I have exactly one build that uses the LPL, and that's because on that particular Mech I had exactly 1 energy hardpoint, 7 tons, and 2 crits available. Since the hardpoint in question needed to be used for point defense, the LPL was a fine addition.

They're just too heavy, too hot, and too short ranged to be useful in almost any other case.

Seems like you found a good use of the LPL.

#15 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostVodrin Thales, on 25 October 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Viable in pug drops- Sure.

Viable in 12 man pre-mades- Not if you want to win.

I have found the exact opposite is the case.

When I'm in a 12-man everyone is given a dedicated role. Brawlers bring weapons for close-range encounters, which the LPL excels at. When I can rely on my team to provide the cover fire needed, the LPL finds its uses, as it has the game's highest DPS for an energy weapon.

In PUGs, you can't rely on anyone unless you dropped with 3 others. Nobody is going to expose themselves to give counter fire, or assist your push - you're alone. And in today's MechWarrior online, you will get FAR more use out of standard Large Lasers in PUGs than you will Pulse lasers.

#16 Polarice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

There are two mechs i have found the large pulse working well with. The ilya and battle master(3 ballistic version). Both builds work on 3 Large pulse, 3mg's and a large engine. The ilya works really well-fast and it hits hatd when you chain the lasers.
If you can point them into one section you can strip that armour very quickly allowing those mgs to do the work. The key being that the mgs are generating zero heat so work hand in hand with pulse really well.

#17 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

If LPLs were the same weight as a LL they'd be absolutely viable. Less range, tiny bump to damage, bit of reduced burn time for a bit more heat.

Currently they're the same weight as a PPC/ERPPC for almost ERPPC heat but a fraction the range and DOT instead of single-shot. If you use LPLs try a PPC/ERPPC in the slot or try a LL and buff something else and see that you'll do better.

LPLs are a bad option. Just is what it is.

#18 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 October 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

If LPLs were the same weight as a LL they'd be absolutely viable. Less range, tiny bump to damage, bit of reduced burn time for a bit more heat.

Currently they're the same weight as a PPC/ERPPC for almost ERPPC heat but a fraction the range and DOT instead of single-shot. If you use LPLs try a PPC/ERPPC in the slot or try a LL and buff something else and see that you'll do better.

LPLs are a bad option. Just is what it is.

4 LPL on my Battlemaster 1S is far cooler then 4 PPC's, but I will agree that the downsides are hindering, but with appropriate tactics they are viable. The beam duration and recycle time are quick too.

So far quite pleased with this setup, otherwise I prefer Large Laser's over LPL.

#19 KhanHeir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 October 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

Pulse-type lasers exist in MW:O for the sole purpose of being used by/against fast moving mechs. Their decreased pulse duration means they can hit a fast target, or be used by a fast-mover to deliver their hit as they run around quickly.

I would never ever suggest using Pulse Lasers for fighting Heavy vs Heavy, or Assault vs Assault fights because it's a waste of tonnage and range...

I don't really use Pulse Lasers unless I'm in a very fast Mech that's meant for short-range combat, as I'm not willing to allocate extra tonnage just for a weapons system meant to get the enemy fast-movers around me a the expense of my ability to fight against other, bigger enemies.

Then why are burst weapons superior to hitting lights? PPC, Gauss pre nerf, AC20, AC in general.

#20 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

Standard Lasers are meant to be the common workhorses in energy hardpoints.

Pulses are a specialty weapon, not meant to be used on every mech, but very good when used on the right mech for the right reason.

Very viable.

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 October 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

PPCs have a minimum range.

ER PPCs are hotter then hell.

Standard lasers have nearly double the burn time.

^^ All reasons you are just wrong. Just because you can't figure out when/why PL can be good, doesn't make them bad.

Edited by OneEyed Jack, 25 October 2013 - 03:25 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users