"balanced" Mwo Has 75% Useless Weapons

106 replies to this topic

#101 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

I wish LRM's were fire and forget like in MW4. This is part of the reason for the poptar meta. Poptarts can pop fire and get under cover and avoid LRM's. I would trade indirect fire LRM's for fire and forget LRM's. If you want indirect fire LRM's, then make the narc provide that function. It would give the narc a purpose.

#102 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 28 October 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

** AC2 – This weapon is too difficult to use without a Macro, primarily due to a bug were the weapon can generate too muich Ghost Heat Tax because of the Fast Fire pilot skill (which lowers its rate of fire to less than .5 seconds). In addition to this problem, even without the Heat Tax, this weapon generates a lot of heat, especially when boated.
To be fair, they disabled the Fast Fire skill in the game to fix that. :/

#103 HybridTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 281 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostMadCat02, on 26 October 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

I have used and found every weapon effective at some point in MWO history . What happened ?

PGU "we are happy with the current state of weapon balancing "

State where most weapons are not worth bringing into the game ?

LRMS- lets have 3 upgrades just so the weapon works and maybe not even then !

Its funny that even with all bonuses LRMS still manage to miss targets with a lock-on .

People just poke lrm boaters from the cover and there nothing they can do about that .

LRMS still need more damage .

Medium Pulse Lasers- 1 DAMAGE WILL NEVER MAKE UP FOR 1 EXTRA TON, 1 HEAT and shorter range .Id rather shoot up to 540 meters than have 20% more damage for 100% more weight.

Don't give me that shorter duration {Scrap} . If you can apply damage faster you can miss it faster as well .

THEY WERE FINE AT 1.5 ton . HOW DID THEY GET NERFED!

LBX10-Do you think i care when people shoot me with LBX10 at 400 meters? Well i don't because they will run out of bullets if i don't come closer .

If not than get ac20 .

ER PPC- the problem with ER PPCs is that even 2 don't leave enough heat gauge to use other weapons .

2ER PPC+4 mediums . Runs too hot

2ER PPC+SRMS . Not practical Runs too hot

2ER PPC+2 AC 2 or 2 AC5. Not practical . Runs too hot and weights too much

Keep ghost heat but reduce ER PPC heat .

Machineguns,Flamer,Small Pulse Laser- i don't know what to say because medium laser is always a better choice .

AC10- Its kinda like a middle child between Gauss and AC20 that isn't good at any role.

Have killed many with Small and Small Pulse. Close range in a light? do the math its better choice in some cases, than mediums.

AC10? Low reload and low heat vs AC20. In some cases very viable.

ERPPC: You have a very good case. They nerfed it WAY too hard. The ghost heat cripples STOCK MECHS in 1 case (8Q Awesome anyone?) And yet the ghost heat argument for medium lasers at SIX is ok because "the hunchback stock has lots of energy hardpoints" sigh. This logic is bad enough that Spock would rage and quit....

#104 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

lb10-x has a 540m range and is not useless

other than that pretty much spot on

ac20, lb10x or boat something online?

#105 The Wee Baby Seamus

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostHBizzle, on 29 October 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

I would love a stand off in my 3UAC ilya and see how that works out for yah. :-o

I have played both tripple UAC and tripple LBX for a considerable amount of time and the result of both setups facing each other would purely depend on the distance between each other.

Other than an AC40 configuration there is not much that can brawl and survive a 3xLBX Ilya at 200m or below, where both can get clear shots of the arm cannons.

And generally speaking, while the 3xUAC Ilya is more comfortable to play long- and mid-range, it was never able to post the overall damage numbers of my 3xLBX Ilya, as long as I managed to get the latter close and in the face of the enemy. Which really is the only challenge of that build.

#106 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:05 AM

LRMS- lets have 3 upgrades just so the weapon works and maybe not even then !
LRMS still need more damage .

I've been doing 600+ damage per match with some ~50 LRMs boat without Artemis, TAG and NARC - only using BAP. And i've been doing that in PuGs, with mechs which are "just to do daily" designs (not optimal), and without any spotters. When i go with a few friends and one of us is doing great piloting light mech spotting - we missile boats deal above 800 damage sometimes, on open maps. Quite often without even ever seeing our enemies, might i add. More damage? For a weapon system hitting from up to 1000 meters away without havign a LoS to one's target? Seriously? I really doubt it'd be good.

The problem of LRMs, though, is ECM. Which is too darn effective at any range except close range. If enemy team has overwhelming ECM cover, - _that's_ when LRMs become pityful.

Me, i'd keep damage of LRMs or perhaps would even reduce it a bit, but also i'd make some module, item, whatever, which would allow LRM boats to lock distant ECM-covered targets. Perhaps only when LRM boat has direct LoS to the target (but full 1000 (1250 with upgrades) lock range). TAG-like system won't do even if its range would be buffed, - because TAG often demands large exposure of one's mech (when it's placed in some low arm), and also because TAG is visible, attracting attention. Or perhaps such anti-ECM lock would be unreliable, having some fixed chance to lose the lock on the target - like, 10% per second.

Medium Pulse Lasers- 1 DAMAGE WILL NEVER MAKE UP FOR 1 EXTRA TON, 1 HEAT and shorter range .Id rather shoot up to 540 meters than have 20% more damage for 100% more weight.

I agree with this. I differ about what most proper solution might be, though; imho, higher heat and extra tonnage of pulse lasers - are fair drawback to offset shorter duration of the burst; shorter range has its own merits (structural damage of pulse lasers at some 800+ meters? Thanks but no thanks!), - but when it's SO much shorter, damage buff has to be of corresponding magnitude. So i'd simply increase damage of pulse lasers by some 20%...30% on top of their current damage figures. This would make pulse lasers to be a solid choice: yes, heavier, yes, mnore heat, yes, much shorter range, - but within that very limited range, _significantly_ higher than usual lasers' damage. This would also make pulse lasers a viable choice for LRM boats - short range of pulse lasers compliment minimum LRM range very well, but currently, the damage gain for extra tonnage is SO small that all missile boats still run MLs... Which is indeed a shame.

LBX10-Do you think i care when people shoot me with LBX10 at 400 meters? Well i don't because they will run out of bullets if i don't come closer

This doesn't make the weapon useless; if some folks keep being 400+ meters and keepfiring LB10s at ya - it's their problem as pilots, or it's tactical situation which leaves them to choice but to do so; not the weapon's fault. LBX10 is a neat brawler's weapon, doing much shake to an enemy every 2.5 seconds, able to hit even if enemy shakes your cockpit somewhat (due to spread) and thus shake the enemy nonetheless, it's great at tearing internals apart (10 projectiles = 10 hits, each hit having chances to critically hit internals), and its tonnage and slot requirements are significantly less than AC/20's. I've heard one good pilot mentioning he had awesome results running 2 LBX10s together with a large amount of SRMs on one of his assaults - the thing just tears opponents apart (very fast) within SRM range, and supresses the target so much there is very little, if any at all, of return fire which manages to land. The key is to fire in sequence to keep the enemy shaken all the time.

ER PPC - i agree with what you said. Spot on!

Small pulse laser, - has some limited uses for some light mech, as a weapon to tear internal apart. Lights tend to either stay far away, or get close; rarely they keep fighting at medium distance. Small pulse laser is less tonnage, less heat than MPL, but it still does many hits like it's medium-size counter-part. I've seen one VERY good light pilot tearing people apart, hitting their backs, running in some light with 3 small pulse lasers. Combination of hit-and-run-and-hide and "stay behind too slow ones and melt their backs fast" playstyle, he did. Good aim, good movement, and these small pulses can be a big pain in the enemy's back. :P

Don't underestimate AC10. It has one big use: medium-to-long-range alpha booster to be used with PPCs. AC/20 damage drops _massively_ beyond 400 meters - to a little fraction of 20, WAY below what AC/10 would do at the same distance. It also has lower CD, lower tonnage, lower slot requirement than AC/20 - and much higher projectile velocity. I've beein running 2xAC/10 2xPPC jager for a while; that alpha at some ~500 meters is SCARY.

Edited by FinsT, 30 October 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#107 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:42 AM

Player balancing. 75% of players are useless.

Fix that, then you can fix the weapons.

There seems to be a problem.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users