Seriously, Why Aren't You Nubs Using Gaussphracts?

42 replies to this topic

#21 Vulgar Conqueror

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostRocketDog, on 27 October 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Problem with Gaussphracts is that while they're very good, they've also been done to death and many people have got bored with playing them and moved on. I ran a 2 x Gauss Jaeger for a while but haven't used it for months. I actually find myself drawn to the less effective builds now because they are more of a challenge.

Makes sense, I hear that.

View PostKubernetes, on 27 October 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

I use a similar build on my 3D except I use a 280XL and less leg armor (only 30--can't remember the last time I got legged). That's two Gauss, 4 Mlas and 7 tons of ammo. The 50-point alpha does all kinds of magic. I average 700 dmg and 3 kills. Once I had 8 kills and topped 1000 dmg. It's not the insane dps of an Ultra Ilya, but I get more kills.

This is very interesting, going to try out for sure. Thanks!

View PostGhogiel, on 27 October 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

I recognize none of the names in those games. Does anyone take screens like these serious when there are no known or worth noting players in those matches?

It's an OK build. I see one once in a while that does pretty decent. Though the game isn't flooded with them because reasons...

I don't recognize your name (I have 3,000 games in). Should I take you seriously?

I fail to see how a recognizable name in a 12 v 12 game would change the effectiveness of the build.

Then again I obviously don;t spent my time on the forums like you do...

View Postmeteorol, on 27 October 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Pretty much this. Double gauss builds have been done to death in every mech that can hold twin GR. Started with the infamous Gaussapult back in the closed beta. Some people like diversion. If someone already used a dual gauss mech for like 5 months half a year ago, he maybe wants to play something else.

makes sense!

View PostOni Ralas, on 27 October 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Because I like my K2 better. If you want to gauss phract, to it without the cheese. Roll in an Illya.

I'd love an Illy, however as of yet I haven't spent any money on mechs

View PostIV Amen, on 27 October 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

I don't like to pilot deathtraps. 2 gauss and XL on a Cataphract... Boom.

"Ammo" explosions on it are annoying, however I really don't feel like it happens enough for me to not use it for grinding, or just ******* **** up when I want to.

View Postmwhighlander, on 27 October 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Gauss phracts?

Thats adorable.

And deadly. And fun. And require a higher degree of skill than smashing things with AC5s.

View PostOni Ralas, on 27 October 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

There is however an easy-to-spot trend on the current unbalanced weapons. And it ain't the gauss.

Exactly, which makes it that much more fun that it doesn;t feel like cheese like the gausscats in closed beta (even though they were still fun)

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostVulgar Conqueror, on 27 October 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

I don't recognize your name (I have 3,000 games in). Should I take you seriously?

I fail to see how a recognizable name in a 12 v 12 game would change the effectiveness of the build.

I've seen his name a number of times, and I don't consider myself having epic ELO. I have 6000+ games under my belt.

And deadly. And fun. And require a higher degree of skill than smashing things with AC5s.

It's not about skill as so much as it tends to be a pretty fragile build. If smarter players don't identify you and crush you where you hide, then the results are expected.

Just because it is effective for you, it doesn't magically make it effective when players far better than you beat you to a pulp.

#23 Vulgar Conqueror

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 27 October 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

No jjs? You're using a 3D without JJs? With the borked movement system they are a must and you could turn it into a jumpsniper as well.

CTF-3D, or ditch 1 JJ in favor of a 295xl but at least 1 should be present to allow some leaping here and there or jumpsnipe from low covers.

Notice the ammo positioning. Consumption is HD --> CT --> RT --> LT--> LA --> RA--> LL--> RL this means that the first ammo pack that goes is the one in the head, then the ones in the ct, meaning that those packs of ammo present along the gauss rifles locations do a little bit of "crit buffering" since they are inert along with the medium lasers.. it's two crits vs the 7 of the GR but it's better than nothing.

Oh and I'd advice to ditch the adv sensor and take a target info instead.. so you'll know where to shoot where it hurts before you do now, imho of course.

I use the 3D specifically for thowin in JJs when I want to or am bored, however I honestly don't think they make that huge of a difference. I also have really poor framerates, and they make things more difficult with the shaking, especially since so many people are using ACs

Thanks for the advice on the crits; I didn't know.

Good advice on the modules, I'll try that out for sure! Thanks!

#24 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Just think, if we had double heat sinks, we could all build effective mech designs.

#25 Vulgar Conqueror

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 October 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

I've seen his name a number of times, and I don't consider myself having epic ELO. I have 6000+ games under my belt.

It's not about skill as so much as it tends to be a pretty fragile build. If smarter players don't identify you and crush you where you hide, then the results are expected.

Just because it is effective for you, it doesn't magically make it effective when players far better than you beat you to a pulp.

My elo probably sucks, I only pug, so the match outcomes aren't always that great. Such is pugging.

Also the key to this mech is never hiding. You hunt down weak enemies

#26 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

A problem with the Gauss now is the charge time. Often that half second window is kinda crucial to hitting the other team's snipers, and running them in a 3D is quite dangerous. They are also quite easy to avoid up close compared to other rapidly firing ballistics. I do have fun in my 2 gauss Ilya though as long as Im in a premade.

#27 Vulgar Conqueror

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Just dropped 5 kills, 900 damage against not one but two 4 mans, Don't know what my elo handicap is, but it's apparently good enough to be on that bubble with the premades

Posted Image

#28 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Premades occur in every range instance of elo. You play against / with them nearly every game whether you notice it or not.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

wow, hello 2012, your FotM just called.

#30 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 October 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

wow, hello 2012, your FotM just called.

Posted Image

#31 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostRocketDog, on 27 October 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I actually find myself drawn to the less effective builds now because they are more of a challenge.

this

#32 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostIV Amen, on 27 October 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

I don't like to pilot deathtraps. 2 gauss and XL on a Cataphract... Boom.

Not so bad on the Ilya or 4X.

#33 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

Actually that build is the common gauss-ilya build. I'd drop something for one JJ at least... and shift your ammo to the gauss rifles for crit soaking (your ammo can't explode).

For the mech itself, you can still do pretty nasty things with two gauss, at the end it's 30 pinpoint damage to one location with long range for no heat. And if you can't master that charge mechanic... how to you pilot your mech without running into a wall everytime? :huh:

Just one thing about the 3D as Gauss build - the only advantage it has are the Jumpjets. If you don't use them, all other builds are better (K2, Jager, Ilya, 4X... ok maybe not the 4X) - because you need armlock to fire both and that's torso only movement.
But you can't twist like a Cat, aim as high or low like a jager or chase mechs arround you like an Ilya or 4X.

Edited by 627, 27 October 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#34 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

It's the only Cataphract build that has worked well for me. Except that I have only 2 ML.

#35 Bad Andy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

sniping is boring, i'd rather not even play

#36 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

Oh, I don't know, I don't even put JJ on my 3D dual Gauss build. I only like it because of the fourth energy slot. And to be honest I like having one Gauss in the torso because it's set much higher. In tight spots I only shoot the torso gun. It's a glass cannon, but so is every Phract build with an XL engine. At least this one encourages you to keep your distance. Aside from assaults, everyone seems to love shooting at Phracts, Jagers, and Hunchbacks.

#37 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostVulgar Conqueror, on 27 October 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

Well lets put it like this, you're the one playing in insignificant PUG games, amidst unknown players no one knows, calling people nubs in the topic title for not using a sub optimal build.

You walked into it for calling out as nubs.

#38 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 28 October 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

Well lets put it like this, you're the one playing in insignificant PUG games, amidst unknown players no one knows, calling people nubs in the topic title for not using a sub optimal build.

You walked into it for calling out as nubs.

You're so cool...

#39 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

Why use a CTF-3D, if a Jaeger can do the same, just without the horrible disadvantages of the 3D build?

#40 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

View PostEcto Cooler, on 28 October 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

You're so cool...

I should get free Coooool shots

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users