What Should The First 4 Clan-Mechs Be?

82 replies to this topic

#21 Runs With Scissors

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

my bets on Kit fox (Uller), mongrel (Grendel), Timberwolf (Mad Cat), and Kingfisher

#22 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 28 October 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Neg. They know we all want the Timberwolf and they wil give it to us among the first Clan 'Mechs. For a price, of course. :blink:

Which is my point - they no doubt know that they could likely charge Boar's Head prices for basic Mad Cats, and expect that massive numbers of people would still buy them. :rolleyes:

So, why put such a thing in a bundle - especially when such bundles have previously relied on the fact that they represent a discount on their contents as a marketing point - rather than leaving it as a sure-sell (and full-price) stand-alone product? :ph34r:

#23 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 28 October 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

So, why put such a thing in a bundle - especially when such bundles have previously relied on the fact that they represent a discount on their contents as a marketing point - rather than leaving it as a sure-sell (and full-price) stand-alone product? :blink:

For the same reason most of the players who bought a PP package chose the Overlord.. They might have sold the Battlemaster alone, but people did want ALL of them (not counting the saber package classic 'Mechs) .. I am far from being a business expert, but think about this: if they sell a stand-alone Timberwolf for 50$, i bet a big % of the players will buy it instead of a Clan package (unless they are willing to spend much more money) without it.
Timberwolf only = 30-50$; sure sell.
Biggest Clan pack =80$ with TW and Dire Wolf. Sure sell because of these 2 'Mechs.

Just my opinion, i honestly do not like to think much about business because it is a necessary evil if you are going to make a AAA game. Sure, the MW:LL developers did not see a penny for their awesome work.. :ph34r:

#24 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

According to ATD47, the developers are shooting for 4-6 clan 'mechs. I'm going to bet that the first six will consist of 2 light 'mechs, 2 medium 'mechs, a heavy, and an assault, or 2 light 'mechs, 1 medium, 1 low-end heavy, 1 high-end heavy, and 1 assault.

So I'm thinking:

1st Scenario
Fire Moth (20 t) (if MASC is developed by then)
-or-
Kit Fox (30 t)
Mist Lynx (25 t)
Ice Ferret (45 t)
Stormcrow (55 t)
Timber Wolf (75 t)
Gargoyle (80 t)
-or-
Executioner (95 t) (if MASC is developed by then)
-or-
Dire Wolf (100 t)

2nd Scenario
Fire Moth (20 t) (if MASC is developed by then)
-or-
Kit Fox (30 t)
Mist Lynx (25 t)
Ice Ferret (45 t)
Mad Dog (60 t)
Timber Wolf (75 t)
Gargoyle (80 t)
-or-
Executioner (95 t) (if MASC is developed by then)
-or-
Dire Wolf (100 t)

I didn't include the Hellbringer, Adder, or Warhawk since their primary configurations require a targeting computer, which I'm not sure if PGI will have that ready by then (look how long it's taken for them to figure out what to do with the command counsel, but I can still hope for something soon!).

I included the Mad Dog since 60 tons is close enough for me to consider the 'mech a "heavy medium", and I can see that as well as the medium and light classes being emphasized when role warfare and tonnage balancing are finalized. I think the Summoner would be more recognizable in the Mad Dog's spot, having played a prominent role in the Battletech cartoon, and the intro movies of MW2 and MW3, but I consider the chassis to be a high-end heavy (70 tons).

EDIT: Was just thinking how cool it would be if they sold the 'mechs in groups of 5, since there are 5 'mechs (points) to a Star, like how there's 4 'mechs to a Lance.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 28 October 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#25 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Mist Lynx ECM Variant in the timeline, relativly fast and can compete with spiders and such

Medium is harder but Stormcrow over the Nova

Timberwolf hands down for the heavy spot

Assault is another hard one, Direwolf just over the Executioner

and Strum, reading your post made me so mad and i couldnt figure it out, its the IS names of the mechs lol :blink:

#26 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

What if they throw out the targeting computer? I do not know what they could do in a skill based game and this would not be the first time they did something like that.

To avoid any problems, i'd bet these 6 'Mechs:
-Kit Fox
-Stormcrow
-Timberwolf
-Mad Dog
-Summoner
-Dire Wolf.
I know 3 heavies but let's face it, the most iconic Clan 'Mechs are heavies (and assaults) indeed. Hey, they put 3 mediums in their PP packages.. :)

#27 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

Two solutions to targeting computer:
1) piper in piper lead reticule based on center mass with slowest projectile equipped
or, and imo a simpler, better option
2) sets weapon convergence to the distance of your currently targeted mech, as opposed to what your crosshairs are over.

I like option 2 since it is a subtle advantage that should theoretically be easier to make and requires no new art assets.

#28 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

I just want the mist lynx for my clan light its all ill ever need. No thanks on the timberwolf, to bland. Rather have mad dog or summoner. I would also like the kodiac or direwolf also.

#29 Uh you havent met Stabem

• Pip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Nova
Mad Dog
Timber wolf "Mad Cat" (because it's a must have, if it's not among the first then shame on you IGP)
Executioner (because there isn't a 95t yet) or Dire Wolf (because it's awesome and it should be in here)

Ow and the problem with the Wolverine IIC "HellHound" is that it's still unseen. So until the rights to it are looked at again and negotiated for, lets not get your hopes up. For now as looks like the closest you'll get as for the "classic look" is the wolverine. I do hope they'll model it after the MW4: Merc design. Problem with that might be the hotboxes... we'll see.

Edited by hellhoundlover, 29 October 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#30 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Artwork from Alex has been seen showing an MWO style Timber Wolf. Additionally, the devs have stated they are going to alter the paper doll/hitbox system to include more than the current two arms , two legs, head and three torso front and back boxes. This is meant to allow shoulder mounted missile pods on mechs that have arms to act as a separate hitbox from the torso they are mounted on.

Sounds to me like the Timber Wolf is a done deal.

#31 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Quote please. Or source. I remember seeing bugged damage displays, I remember them saying they experimented. I do not recall them saying they decided to make it additional damage zones.

I do recall them saying they have a functional timber wolf running around on their house servers though.

#32 Uh you havent met Stabem

• Pip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostVoivode, on 29 October 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Artwork from Alex has been seen showing an MWO style Timber Wolf. Additionally, the devs have stated they are going to alter the paper doll/hitbox system to include more than the current two arms , two legs, head and three torso front and back boxes. This is meant to allow shoulder mounted missile pods on mechs that have arms to act as a separate hitbox from the torso they are mounted on.

That's great to hear.

I wish it was so simple with the Wolverine IIC :)

#33 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 29 October 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Two solutions to targeting computer:
1) piper in piper lead reticule based on center mass with slowest projectile equipped
or, and imo a simpler, better option
2) sets weapon convergence to the distance of your currently targeted mech, as opposed to what your crosshairs are over.

I like option 2 since it is a subtle advantage that should theoretically be easier to make and requires no new art assets.

Do they like simple solutions, quineg :) ?

#34 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

I vote Mad Dog for heavy mech

#35 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostVoivode, on 29 October 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

View PostPariah Devalis, on 29 October 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Quote please. Or source. I remember seeing bugged damage displays, I remember them saying they experimented. I do not recall them saying they decided to make it additional damage zones.

I do recall them saying they have a functional timber wolf running around on their house servers though.

Seconded - Voivode's statement is merely conjecture on his/her(?) unless and until a valid - and independently verifiable - source is provided to back it up, and shouldn't be presented as fact. :)

#36 xRatas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

How about:

Urbanmech IIC
Hunchback IIC
Rifleman IIC
Warhammer IIC

I might buy that one... :)

#37 Woky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Would like to see the shadowcat and storm crow make it into the 1st wave myself

#38 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Unfortunately you will likely need to wait for the Shadowcat, as it was first sighted in the battle of Luthian if I am not mistaken. A fight which both the Jags and the Cats were forced to cooperate in. Of course, the Shadowcat came with us. It is, after all, a pseudo totem mech. Made with love by Nova Cat technicians. :)

#39 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

Direwolf
Timberwolf
Nova
Kitfox (probably)

The first three (Direwolf/Timberwolf/Nova) seem very much imperative though.

#40 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Am i the only one who does not believe they will bother redesign the Nova before releasing the Stormcrow?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users