330 replies to this topic

#281 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

HSR issues would be handled by different people.

Adjusting physical hit boxes can usually be handled by artists / designers as most hit boxes are physical 3d Geo (The fact that he talks about the artist that works with him supports that this would probably be no different here then at other places.)

HSR and net code fixes on the other hand needs development support. Sure you can probably put the artist adjusting host state rewind and netcode, but I'm willing to bet that you might not get the results you want. :ph34r:

I'll reserve judgement on these guys till I see them In Action. I'm personally hesitant to see arm areas extend up into physical torso geo due to how that geo can then create "Shields" when they don't fall off upon destruction, but I'm more then willing to see how it is in the final product before making a decisions on if I like these changes or not.

In either case, its good to see forward progress be made on them. Hopefully things went well with the Artist's personal matters.

Edited by SpiralFace, 19 December 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#282 Lucity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 108 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the update Paul!

#283 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Well, this seems to be going pretty well! Nice work Paul! (I wanted to say that for a loooong time!)

#284 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

Please put the Yen Lo Wang and the Death's Knell on your list for hit box fixes.

Yen Lo Wang, the right arm 'attracts' most of the damage. It get's blown off just about every match WITHOUT the enemy specifically aiming at it. Case in point: I was fighting a Catapult who was shooting me with SRM's. 2 volleys of SRM missiles and the YLW's AC 20 arm gets blown off.

The Death's Knell. It seems to attract all damage to both arms.

Both of these mechs cost MC and I feel like I have completely wasted my money on them.

#285 Firenze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostJohn Archer, on 19 December 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Please put the Yen Lo Wang and the Death's Knell on your list for hit box fixes.

Yen Lo Wang, the right arm 'attracts' most of the damage. It get's blown off just about every match WITHOUT the enemy specifically aiming at it. Case in point: I was fighting a Catapult who was shooting me with SRM's. 2 volleys of SRM missiles and the YLW's AC 20 arm gets blown off.

Both of these mechs cost MC and I feel like I have completely wasted my money on them.

They said they are going to be working on all mechs in time, its just a matter of patience to let them get around to it.

#286 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

I like the updates. Stalker should still be durrable, 'Phrat might end up being more durrable. Smaller head hitbox on the Catapult should be nice. We'll see how they play later.

YLW got worked on when they did Cents. Folks aim for the arm on a cent, as there's little reason not to do so, and none on a YLW.

#287 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

Since hitboxes are being tweaked does that mean there are any plans to adjust the scale of mechs the community has voiced concerns about?

#288 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostTehSBGX, on 19 December 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Since hitboxes are being tweaked does that mean there are any plans to adjust the scale of mechs the community has voiced concerns about?

They said elsewhere they would do that in a different pass.

#289 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

Yay! It only took 1.5 years to fix the catapult head hitbox :(

Glad to see something is getting done finally at least...

#290 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm sorry, the Centurion already got its tweaks (YLW is based off the Cent).

The weakness of the YLW is how big the arm is (the Centurion arms are meant for shielding), so expecting that to change is kind of a joke.

Although I'd like the Commando's arms to get smaller, but they are where the majority of the weapons are. I don't see how the DK should be a special case.

View PostMonky, on 19 December 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Yay! It only took 1.5 years to fix the catapult head hitbox :(

Glad to see something is getting done finally at least...

It took multiple AtD denials about them to "finally" get addressed.

#291 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 December 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

It took multiple AtD denials about them to "finally" get addressed.

Every time I see comments like that - I think about WoW... how long it took them to do what people had been requesting since beta.... and finally did in Cataclysm.

Patience. :(

#292 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the update Paul. I don't think you need a fireproof suit when you explain the reason for delays (and they are good reasons) and as a bonus, add more to be fixed. Thanks!

#293 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the information and update Paul. This is the kind of communication PGI should put forth on a regular basis.

#294 RyanKane

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm with TheCaptainJZ in that no fire proof suit is needed when posting (good) reasons why things have been delayed, especially with extra mechs. Thanks for the update!

One question though - does this mean the Catapult's side torsos aren't being extended even slightly? I would prefer them extended slightly as I believe it will improve overall survivability (most games my CT eats most of the damage regardless of twisting). However, if overdone it does pose a severe threat to XL's.

Edited by RyanKane, 19 December 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#295 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Yay for the Cat changes in particular; and also the Stalker changes. The pelvis right now is an enormous target and directs all damage to front center torso - it's a huge vulnerability. Good to see it being cleaned up.

Also, nice to see shoulder hits moving to being arm hits on some mechs with large torsos, this is a very good change.

#296 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the updates! No need for the fire suit!

Paul, could you please, please, pretty please do a revisit on the Awesome and Atlas and do some of that Arm hitbox adjustment like you guys did in this last one? They both desperatly need that!

#297 Tooninki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 260 posts
  • LocationFinland/FRR

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the hitbox update Paul, no get playing so we gan KILL you DEAD! (For shiny trinket) :(

#298 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

I don't think that turning the shoulder hitbox from torso to arm hitbox is a good idea. When i shoot something i want to know what i am hitting

#299 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

I know that is why I keep telling newbies to avoid it like the plague. It needs bonus armor or something.

#300 Antagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:10 AM

Can't do much when urgent private matters pop up.

I'm looking forward to the hitbox tweaks, even if it's taking you longer than expected to roll them out.

PGI, take note of Paul Inouye. His approach for announcing bad news is much more palatable - not to mention honest - than yours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users