75 replies to this topic

#61 DrM3CH

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

I like the way things are moving ... but what about Game modes ?
Can we not get a "Defend the Convoy" mode.
So at least one side starts with a convoy and has to get it from one side of the map to another ?

If it were an uneven match you could even adjust the win ratio .....

Attackers have to take out at least 85% to win.
65% is a draw and under is a loss.

Defenders ....
Defend 85% to win etc etc ....

In an evenly matched game ....

Simply say get all the convoy destroyed and you win.

Or if in defence ....

Protect even one and you win.

Have the convoys take random paths around maps .....
Perhaps even have one or two vehicles veer off course occasionally ?

Anyway its just an idea,
A lot of people want you to succeed with this game and many are looking for different game modes ... fresh ideas ... not just one side vs one side ...
Or Capture the flag.

This is a thinking game as well .....

A game of "British" Bull Dog ?

Form a line get x Mechs from this way point to this one and then back ..... gathering intel.
Whilst other defend them.
Say send Alpha lance to x points ?

Cheers for the game.

Doc
www.351gt.com.au
www.52photos.com

#62 Kanya Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

Please take pity on an old man with an old gaming rig (and now 4 kids at home).

Back in 2008 I built a pc with a 2.83 intel quad and gtx 280. A few years after that I grabbed a cheap 280 to run SLI with it.

Obviously, I have no shot at DX 11. Can you enable SLI for poor chaps like myself?

#63 Caleb Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

View PostVimeous, on 04 November 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Ok I've re-read your post and now understand what you're angling at.
Thinking it through you'd increase the impact of movement heat and players would be forced into more detailed fire control. Neither are implicitly bad but in general terms it will reduce shots fired and extend battles.
Of course if the game got too slow weapon heat values would be dropped and you'd be right back where you started. It also increases the learning curve for beginners which we keep getting told is already too steep.
My argument is to leave ghost-heat for now as it largely does its job for all the criteria you mention however inelegant or illogical it may be perceived. Other features such as UI2.0, CW and in this case DX11 have not got that far. Not to mention the general clamour regarding hit-boxes which is arguably in need of more attention than ghost-heat.

I agree regarding the removal of the Gauss mechanic but I wonder if that's just because I've not got the patience to use it. Gauss-boats are still out there so someone's coping without issue and yet they are comparatively rare so has the mechanic in-fact had the desired effect?
Maybe a better solution is to retain the charge (it is a mag rifle so this makes some sense) but rather than it suddenly dissipating if you don't fire - it instead builds heat as the heat-sinks struggle to contain the stored charge until you release it or you cook.
Of course ultimately this means you could be firing at fresh air to avoid overheat unless a different shot cancel mechanic can be found.
Edit: Maybe extend the charge time held but if you hit the threshold the gun alone overheats and becomes briefly inoperable like a jammed UAC5.

Regarding graphics. The DX11 changes should be a great step forward. DX11 cards have been the defacto standard for at least 2 generations making dev time spent here more valuable to more players than SLI/Crossfire. Hopefully it's as easy as you suggest a small tweak will sort it once DX11 is complete.

Recent changes may not have been headline grabbing but 12-1 wipes are now the exception which is fantastic. Properly intense matches are no longer the sole preserve of pre-mades and 4-mans don't always triumph over solo foes.
The game is improving all the time and long may it continue.

Why all of you keep trying to micky mouse things with 'ghost heat' and cry for 'nerf' on guass rifles and other great weapons I'll never know. I logged in to test out some of these changes and you know what, instantly turned off. Why? Cause it's not battletech in the least.

They should have limited the hard point system and what size of weapon can go in that slot and type. I.E. No AC20/Gauss on a K2 as a classic example. But they didn't, and now we're stuck with reload + pre-charge and very fragile weapons and STILL idiots like you complain and want to increase heat?

You guys want to know why there's a shortage of high ELO players? Well, you're looking at one very good reason right here. Reasons why I haven't logged a game in a long time:

1) 3PV - Can't stand it or people abusing it. Just wish we could have a separate queue for 1PV only and maybe I'd come back.
2) Ghost Heat - Instead of changing weapon slots similar to MW4 instead of the pseudo-Omni-mechs we have now.
3) Tonnage Limits - VERY THANKFUL PGI to see it's coming in or shortly after UI 2.0. Tired of having to field a heavy or assault mech to stand a chance of winning.
4) Private Matchmaking - Sick of the same deathmatch style or capwarrior online over and over. Would be nice to have a league of our own like in the old days where a win/loss actually meant something. Looking forward to seeing this feature along with the ability to force 1PV on said matches.

Of course, adding private matchmaking won't help the ELO/Matchmaker issues as we'll all be in our private matches teaching recruits/practicing or dropping in league matches. BUT, we WILL be supporting the game again which is better than it going under.

#64 Caleb Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

View Postdangerzone, on 04 November 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Oh and for those who think ghost heat is super lame and should be removed, may I link you to evidence numero uno as to why ghost heat needs to be implemented or at least altered to not crumple LL or something instead of just outright removing it.
http://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv/c/3120421

That build would become outright deadly. In fact, I can almost guarantee everyone would run it...well not everyone, but you'd have a LOT of people raging on the forums claiming to nerf PPCs AGAIN or something. Ghost Heat does fix a lot of issues whether you want to admit it or not.

Agreed, they shouldn't get rid of the ghost heat without changing build mechanics on the mechs. That Battlemaster should never have been able to fit 7 ERPPCs. The weapons are massive and most mechs, even assaults only carried 2-3 such as the Awesome. If they simply limit the physical aspects they'll solve the problem based on what the mechs could actually carry.

Yes, you'll have 2xGauss mechs still and some 3xPPC mechs but you know what... those were cannon and not every mech with a ballistics slot and the weight/crit slots could carry them. There is a reason why said users are upset with Ghost Heat and why most consider it a lame mechanic. I'm sure they'd complain about the restrictions to mech design as well, but at this point face it... we're not far away from Omni-mechs except in weapon type and count. The fact they can mount whatever size they want with the exception of some arms and carrying XL engines is part of the problem.

I can't count the kills I had with my K2 Gausspult back in beta as one classic example. Or PPC Stalkers, Jaeger AC20 boats... it's all fun but the mech shouldn't have allowed the design.

#65 DrM3CH

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

Setting up access to slightly more complicated games could be easy if you wanted it to.
Just some ideas from someone that's seen some games made .....

Put it in the selection but "Grey it out" for selection until the new player has done one movement tutorial and played at least 50 games.

This takes them out of "rookie" status.

As far as making the game longer .... HUH ... since when has that been an issue - we all want an "Experience" not just a flash in the pan.
We want to enjoy the game and have fun / suspense / excitement and so on.
I know you guys have to make $ and that's cool - if you don't what's the point.
We want you to succeed - so we can play!

So please listen to the guys paying your wages .......

We would like some more tactical exciting games .... anyone can make a game of Capture the Flag (Conquest) or one side Vs the other (Assault) - anyone in here can list many games online just like that.

And they all fade away .... some even die off.
I used to work for the AIE here in Australia - a game company here in Canberra - Bigworld - the engine powering World Of Tanks. Having seen how some games can be a flash in the pan or hyped up the just flunk out because they just don't listen!

There are many ideas in here that are truly Awesome and can really be exploited by a game like Mechwarrior.
All you need to do is take a stand and set the bar for others to follow !

So ...

Game formats.
Game Mechanics.
User Intuitive Interface - including being able to set which weapons groups fire on which buttons - in the Mechlab!
and so on ......

Allow at least 5 Game formats .... not just two.

Capture the Flag (Conquest)
One team Vs One Team (Assault) ..... you already have these smashed ! Well done.

Try some more complicated ones ......

Tactical - Convoy protection "Basic" ... requires some lighter Scout Mechs as well as Heavies ....
In this format You set the "Random" way points that the convoy takes and one side protects it - the other side has to take out at least X of the defending Mechs and destroy the convoy within the allotted Time.

Tactical Convoy 2 - Advanced - Same as above - However one Medium / Light Mech is Randomly selected to lead the convoy around the map from the start point to the selected point on the map. This selected Mech must be found and destroyed along with X of the convoy for the attackers to win.
With the other side having to defend X of the convoy and the Lead Mech.

Insurgency / Mercenary - Drop a group of Mercenaries into a Battle allow them to be a third team on the field.

Here's how you set it up .....

People select a game to go into .... Assault / Conquest / Tactical / Advanced Tactical / Insurgency - Mercenary
If they choose Mercenary then your Matching software selects 3 groups not two.

Randomly one of these groups is chosen as a Mercenary Group - they get dropped in after the first two groups are put in - somewhere between 10 - 30 seconds after the game actually starts.

This way the other two sides aren't fully into beating each other up.

Now the third team only consists of two Lances. (Eight Mechs in total.)

Each Lance gets dropped somewhere behind the starting point / left or right maybe from the original start points of the other two teams.

They must stick together and the sole purpose is to destroy as many of the other two sides Mechs.that they can.

The Merc's will not trip the Base alarm - so they cannot take or capture a base - they simply attack the other teams Mechs.
And score as per usual.

I would advise limiting this group to 1 Assault - 1 Heavy and 2 Meds / Lights per Lance.
Or - even better Heavy Meds and lights only.

Gets people into those Mechs.

Intel collection / Training

You could go further with a Merc group dropping in with Lights and Scouts / Ravens etc ONLY - with the sole aim of Intel gathering ... ie : they only get points for surviving say 65 % of the game played (allowing for a quick game) and gathering X info on the strength of the forces planet side !

Any way these are a few of the ideas I have.
I am sure there are guys out there that could be sparked into getting some more .....

Hey while I'm on it - anyway you can do a few different Drop sequences for the startup ?

Cheers.

BLR3M
(Can you do a BLR3M please.)

:ph34r:)

And thank you for bringing my favorite game back.

#66 Pwnocchio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

Also, any game modes where the objective was to blow up an enemy drop ship would pretty much give me morning wood until my prostate stopped functioning.

#67 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

What I would love to be reading......
December Creative Update:
Private Match Making!
Lobbies!
Now that would be an Update.
Heck I would even start blowing money again.
And you know what, that alone would hold us all until CW hits.

#68 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostPwnocchio, on 07 November 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Regarding the SRM hit detection problem, I wonder if it's possible that the blast radius of the first missile to impact is taking out the missiles a fraction of a second behind it.

While I could totally see them doing something like this, if it were possible for splash damage to take out missiles it'd be possible (if difficult) to shoot down missiles with any weapon. It's not.

#69 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

i am getting higher ping and bad hit detection with all weapons as well as rubber-banding and skating. this effect varies with my ping.
Spoiler

i will post videos.

Edited by zudukai, 19 November 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#70 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

So I've been gone for a couple months... have they added SLI support yet?

#71 iHover

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationBerne NY

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 14 November 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

What I would love to be reading......
December Creative Update:
Private Match Making!
Lobbies!
Now that would be an Update.
Heck I would even start blowing money again.
And you know what, that alone would hold us all until CW hits.

Amend ! IF PGI cant get CW off the ground at least let us make our own meta game. This would have solved the whole training issue and would allow us to create our own game. So many things become possible with lobbies and private matches. But all we have is more lip service from PGI ..,. UI2.0 coming ... CW coming.... same thing we have been hearing since closed beta. By the time PGI gets its act together they wont need CW , everyone will be playing Star Citizen.

#72 Robert Downey

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

New player here. I would really appreciate a "restore default config" option after I've changed my mechs. Sometimes my builds are terrible and reverting would be helpful.

#73 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostRobert Downey, on 27 November 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Snipped for brevity.

While that would be nice, until then http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab has a Load Stock Loadout option which helps with rebuilding that.

#74 BananaNutMuffins

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

So far in the last 3 days of playing Ive been really down about MWO. I finally get time off from work to play and this game may as well be called failed to find a match mwo and terra therma only MWO. Out of 3 days I would say 75% of my games that I did get into were terra therma. I would pay money or MC to not play terra therma its gotten so bad. I dont know what y'all are doing with elo and the matchmaker but the pugs that you put with me are so low each match I play Its not uncommon for 5-6 players on my team to not break 100 dmg. I understand that your balancing elo with high players but 1 single player cant sway each game this heavily all the time yes it can be done yes its challenging but its also very frustrating. As far as not finding a match If im solo dropping in a assault I had a 9 failed to find a match streak this weekend. Can you reset everyone's elo and start over just so we can play? The way the game has been lately I feel like I'm forced to loose every match if I cant carry my team of pugs over and over on terra therma. If y'all have the ability to look up how many times exactly I have played that map recently you have to find a fix please. Send me a private message or talk to me on ts sometime. Ive spent a extreme amount of money in this game the least you can do is make it slightly more enjoyable for me and probably the rest of the high elo players of the game.

#75 NuclearPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

Dear PGI -

Your November Technical Update addressed the following:

Hit Detection

We are aware there are still some issues surrounding hit detection, particularly with SRMs and also certain Mechs hitboxes. As Paul recently posted hitboxes are being addressed and we are scheduling time for a closer look into why SRMs are suffering a loss in accuracy compared to other weapons.

Could you please update us on the current situation with SRMs? Have you looked at the current state of the weapon's accuracy and hit registration? This update was about 4 patch cycles ago with no updates as to your plan of action. An answer would be much appreaciated. Thanks so much!

Edited by NuclearPanda, 16 December 2013 - 08:50 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users