75 replies to this topic

#21 Vimeous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostFuzzyLog1c, on 01 November 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

If you want to improve wait time for high ELO players, try the following: - Increase SHS and DHS dissipation and severely reduce the max heat cap. - Remove the Gauss charge mechanic. - Loosen up the hill speed mechanic. - Remove "ghost" heat. - Implement voice chat. That's literally all that's standing between you and hundreds of thousands of dollars of immediate funding. By my estimation, over the past two months, forum traffic has dropped to somewhere between 1/6th and 1/8th what it was since you guys thumbed your nose at the people that made this game possible. If you stay the course, I predict that the average forum population will drop to below 1000 participants by the end of the year, and from there, all that's left is the inevitable quick slide and hard landing. You can already see the same old topics building steam with the second generation members... MWO won't survive the second communication apocalypse. Also, if you're having problems with performance, start supporting SLI and Crossfire. Based on a survey of about 30 former MWO players, two-thirds of them have either SLI or Crossfire rigs. MWO works on both platforms using simple control panel overrides. The only downsides are minor graphical artifacts (occasional flickering, for instance). It shouldn't be that hard to finish the job.

So to summarise you want to run cooler and re-enable the one-shot-kill meta that prevailed pre ghost-heat.

What I find shocking about this is the so-called high ELO players you refer to can't cope with such a simple transition. I'd think such highly skilled players would take any change in game mechanic in their stride and remain active high ELO players.

What are you, Mechwarriors or mardy children?!

#22 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

No good players have trouble with ghost heat or Gauss's mechanics. They may not like them because they seem arbitrary and poorly conceived, but they had no trouble adapting.

#23 Vorloni

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostPhiladelphia Collins, on 01 November 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

Matchmaking has been pretty off since forever. Adding a cap to the number of preformed team members prevented more tactical and coordinated play but also reduced the number of outright 8-0 stomps (well sorta people just sync dropped and it happens all the time anyway). ELO kinda sorta matches people by skill except not really because as far as I can tell it is based on wins not individual performance. So if me and two other experienced players team up with and drop with a newer less experienced player and win a lot his ELO score gets jacked up and his solo pug play or any play with less experienced teamates becomes horrifying and depressing. Also all the skill matching seems to make it too difficult to keep tonnage matching or even weight class matching in good effect.

True. Trying to grind your Phoenix mechs gets a bit tedious when you tend to lose way more than win. And I mean those kind of loses when you are steamrolled all the time. At least when I'm playing with my friend.

#24 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

Good to hear the DX11 issue was fixed.

#25 Blade Pride

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostAppogee, on 03 November 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

Good update, thanks.

Please prioritise MatchMaking. As it stands, I am sitting here browsing the forum instead of playing the game, because I am tired of participating in ROFLstomps.

This here.

After matchmaking is fixed, I would love to see some other reason to play then just leveling a mech.

Anyway, good update, thanks.

#26 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostBlade Pride, on 03 November 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

This here.

After matchmaking is fixed, I would love to see some other reason to play then just leveling a mech.

Anyway, good update, thanks.

That would be community warfare dude... Which is still far far.. In a distant galaxy.... :(

#27 BlackDrakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Most of the times when I crash, is because im zoomed in and im getting beat up by streaks. I think the screen shake is the problem. By crash I mean, black screen, and have to manually restart my computer.

#28 Kojin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:04 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 01 November 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

We plan to remove this complexity in the upcoming UI 2.0 and keep the mode consistent front end to back, meaning that if you run windowed when you go into game the game will be windowed and similarly if you run full screen the Mechlab will be full screen and it will retain full screen as you transition into game.

View PostEoRaptor, on 02 November 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

You mention unifying the the resolution and mode between the 'lobby/mechlab' and the in game experience. I ask, in the strongest possible terms, that you not do this until you can provide equivalent features in game that are now found in external tools.

Going to agree in part with EoRaptor on this. I tend to use a bit of down time between matches to check on various other things going on which often have nothing to do with MWO, but like to play the matches in fullscreen. Therefore I quite like the current state of it switching to a smaller window for the mechlab et al, as it enables me to quickly check on (for example) my IM's, IRC, VOIP client(s) and web browser etc. without having to alt-tab my way back and forth whilst still being able to mess in mechlab in it's window.

I would sugest, though, rather than putting all the things in EoRaptor mentioned (although those features would indeeed be useful), to allow the window and fullscreen to be an option for both states. Those experiencing issues can then turn on/off windowed modes for both mechlab and in-match, or keep it as it currently operates.

Edited by Kojin, 04 November 2013 - 03:05 AM.

#29 FuzzyLog1c

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostVimeous, on 03 November 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

So to summarise you want to run cooler and re-enable the one-shot-kill meta that prevailed pre ghost-heat.

What I find shocking about this is the so-called high ELO players you refer to can't cope with such a simple transition. I'd think such highly skilled players would take any change in game mechanic in their stride and remain active high ELO players.

What are you, Mechwarriors or mardy children?!

Chalk up another batch of people (along with Bryan, apparently) that fail at basic reading comprehension. If you cut the heat cap to 1/3 its present value, but crank SHS and DHS dissipation to MW2/4 levels, you won't be able to fire more than two PPCs or LL in succession without shutting down or blowing up. This prioritizes heat management, judicious aim, and terrain usage to buy time to bleed off waste heat. And it's the way that Mechwarrior worked (and worked well, I might add) in the past.

Boggles the mind how people can read one thing and come out with something totally different.

Edited by FuzzyLog1c, 04 November 2013 - 04:56 AM.

#30 Warrior UK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 142 posts
  • LocationUK South Coast (Sussex)

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for the Info on how things are going, it was much needed. It's great to know that the prob with DX11 was found and being worked on, implementation of this cannot come soon enough for many of us and for you also, as stated in the post UI2/DX11 "is the foundation for things to come".

As for the matchmaking, yes this is NAFF!, many who I drop with have above average to high ELO and the wait times to find a drop are slow, with the odd time when it is almost instant. Perhaps removing restricted group drops, ie, (4/12 only) could cure this, who knows, more and more new players are getting on group servers and getting into groups than just pugging mixing high with low ELO's, more grouping options like any number to eight in a group, (as before) could help with the waiting times, stop sync drops, help new players get better in the game plus add the fun factor back into playing for many that have stopped for some reason or other. I feel that some might say that the battle will be like the old days (Closed Beta), pug stomping, its still like that now at times when matchmaking fails, a four group of high ELO's drop in Alpha Lance and the rest of the team is mixed ELO pugs that just run off to be killed due to no guidence other than, "in game type chat" that none read, so there is another reason for the possible removal of drop restrictions, "guidence with voice chat helps teach tactics to old and new players, making for better game play"....

Anyway, again, thanks to all who put the hard work into MWO, even Russ and Co, at least i can remember when we had NO MechWarrior game, it is better to have one than none. So Stop drinking coffee/tea and get back to work :( , UI2/DX11 cant get here soon enough.....

Edited by Warrior UK, 04 November 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#31 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

yea pretty much what warriorUK said.

I can't wait for you guys to finally deliver some sort of quality to this game. I feel the game has really not delivered as of late, and that it has strung me along for so long just because I am a fan. Things that have been promised for so long have still not been delivered and still continue to go on without an ETA.

So for me the promised basic builiding blocks of a quality game such as UI2 and CW can not come soon enough. And for how long the development process has been, specifically for UI2, I hope you guys can blow some minds by the quality of the product.

#32 Masaio

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the update! While progress is slower than I would prefer, the game keeps improving!
Would love an update on how the various Houses will be integrated into CW! Keep up the good work!!

#33 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 01 November 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

You almost forgot to mention that those changes also: cure cancer, burn fat, increase libido, build muscle, and improve memory. Oh wait, they wont do any of those things or any of the things you suggested either.

Dude....funniest thing I have read on these forums in a LONG time. Great work. :-)

#34 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the current value that allowing windowed to full-screen transition is providing it's good to hear that it is helpful much of the time. We'll look at it and see if we can retain an option to continue to use that mode, but I can't promise anything.

To better explain the issues that arise during the transition with the current system; during the transition into game we currently have to call functions to re-size the screen buffers. This can contribute to edge cases, the game needs code to handle failure cases, if you Alt-tab during load it can change behavior which can be different for DX9 and 11. Given there has been much complaint about users not making it into game (showing as a disconnected player) anything we can do to help reduce the likelihood for that seems to be a win.

Ultimately this is not that hard to maintain in the new system as an option, but anything we retain as an official option needs to be dealt with by QA which means we have to consistently test these edge cases that may be low user path.

Another factor in this decision is that not many games make use of a windowed to full-screen transition so the engine code to handle these transitions, ends up being largely custom code we have to craft into any future engine updates in a way that doesn't break functionality.

Also as you're all aware the mouse capturing in the current engine is 'frustrating' to say the least and another reason to simplify this flow is to help allow us to quickly clean up that behavior. All this said though I'm not trying to dictate the flow and I'm open to facilitating the community, perhaps you could explain in more detail what the current flow allows you to do and there may be better ways to get that same functionality. e.g. if it's for rapidly switching to VoIP 3rd party apps, there are apps that work in full-screen overlay mode we can ensure we work with?

#35 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

Another quick point we don't intend to remove Alt-Enter functionality to switch between the two in fact we can probably make it work more reliably with the windowed to full-screen transition removed. This means even if running full-screen a quick tap of Alt-Enter should reliably allow you to switch back to various windows temporarily.

#36 Kaiser Thermidor

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Get rid of Elo, period. It makes no sense.
Use average XP as a scoring device, it measures individual player skill MUCH better than a win/loss ratio in a game where your team changes every match. You get XP for damage, for kills, for caps, for support (spotting, hopefully more in the future), AND WINS (since whoever is behind Elo thinks that is the only thing that matters...)

Elo. Makes. No. Sense.

Edits:
I've been on about this for a while now. (Also, I got a non-answer to that question, if you were curious.)
Little more explanation, but its bad form to copy/paste a wall of text.
The most explanation, ever, but it's the same idea in different words: Elo makes no sense, and that annoys the pi** out of me.

Edited by Vadim Krasvanya, 04 November 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#37 Watchemkillem

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBronx, N.Y.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the update. Can't wait for DX11!!!

#38 Blade Pride

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

NM

Edit: disregrad post

Edited by Blade Pride, 04 November 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#39 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Fix the Hit detection issues for SRMS by the end of November and I shall send a gift tower of treats to the coding team responsible. Though I imagine they'd likely get intercepted by management and reincorporated to some other use.

Otherwise with the apparent stable new platform of UI 2.0 being almost ready for live use I'm expecting that the Data model is more or less finalised. As such considering that this DB will be accessible for other use whether PGI/IGP could now consider investigating the parallel development of an API system for general use.

This could enable a number of benefits which for example purposes could include:

1) Links to smurfy for importing specific builds ready for Mech purchases in game. Thus better facilitating sales in theory.
2) General data analysis by player organisations to assist in management of units and strategy etc.
3) Similarly other third party applications with whatever security arrangements to allow access to pilot and other useful data.

This being that the strategical importance of being able to review the pilot data (akin the forum statistics) where associated with an organisation would provide much needed information as to how best to apply thinking to CW when tech acquisition and stable weapons balance is more relevant at that time. An API tool for associated pilots to co-allate and analyse this data as applicable to a unit will go a long way to identifying potential strategical priorities for CW as well as helping to monitor interests with pilots.

tl;dr: Liked the list, please make SRM Hit detection a priority, otherwise can we have an API system added to the list asap?

#40 Scanz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

remove team chat after death
add "free fly" spectator mode after death
plx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users