- - - - -

Energy Weapons Causing Heat?

41 replies to this topic

#1 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

a friend of mine tole me that being hit be energy weapons can cause minor heat buildup, is this correct?

ive never really seen any info on this so i decided to ask the forum.

#2 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

The only energy weapon for which this holds true is the Flamer. The glow you see on an enemy's armour when struck by laser weapons is purely cosmetic.

#3 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

yeah this was also what i thought. he was quite insistent though and was actually looking forward to reflective armor because of this heat spike caused by energy weapons. i dont know but he could be mixing up older mw titles with this one.

#4 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

As far as I know, it's never been a thing in past titles either. But hey, this is MW:O. Could just be Ghost Heat :(

#5 Mister Zeus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

In Mechwarrior 2 the PPC would transfer some heat damage to a target mech. That's the only other occurrence of heat transfer from an energy weapon other than Flamers that I can think of off the top of my head.

#6 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

This among other features where discussed some updates before when the PPCs where buffed into a usable state.
Prominently the PPC should have been tweaked to deliver a certain amount of heat to the target and an minor statik effect on your hud and EMP effect on your electronics. The other energy weapons should have been modified to deliver a minor heat on target effect.
I don't know if anything of this ever saw the light of the day.

#7 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

--

Laser puts out heat cause it is highly focused light that can easly burn through things. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Laser

PPC is hot cause of-- http://www.sarna.net...rojector_Cannon

#8 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Zarla, the OP refers to causing heat increase on the target, not the firer. So, when hit with a laser, the heat bar registers an increase as well as the mech taking damage.

#9 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

The heat of the laser melts armor externally, whereas the heat your mech builds up is internal in the reactor and in your cockpit.

#10 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Firing causes heat, being hit does not heat you up. The only exception is the flamer which heats both firer and target.

#11 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

The lasers are powerful, but they are focused to a point when they hit the armor mechs use, then the armor ablates and conducts the heat away, so lasers shouldn't add heat to enemy's heat capacity due to how they interact.

Flamers are bursts of plasma from the reactor, so it can transfer the heat build up we see, since it can be assumed that the spread of the intense heat can overwhelm the heat pumps and radiators of the targeted mech.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Laser
http://www.sarna.net...echnology#Armor
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Flamer
http://www.sarna.net...Cooling_Systems

#12 Roboticus Prime

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 03 November 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

As far as I know, it's never been a thing in past titles either. But hey, this is MW:O. Could just be Ghost Heat :)

What is this "Ghost Heat" I keep hearing about? The only heat mechanic I know of is the Heat Scale.

Edited by Roboticus03, 07 November 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostRoboticus03, on 07 November 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

What is this "Ghost Heat" I keep hearing about? The only heat mechanic I know of is the Heat Scale.

Ghost Heat is the mocking name picked by the "Fans" of the Heat Scale mechanic ;)

#14 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

^This. The nickname (at least to my mind) derives from the fact that there is no logical, in-universe explanation for the Heat Scale. "You're firing three of those at once? Sure! Here's more than triple the heat of firing them singly."

No natural explanation? Supernatural. Ghost Heat is born :lol:

All this because they stuck with a soft cap for the heat capacity of mechs... no opaque and unexplained mechanics would be necessary with a hard cap. But that's a whole 'nuther thread, and I'll stop hijiacking now ;)

#15 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Technically it is "Ghost Heat:The Magnum Opus" to describe both the unseen nature and complexity of the Heat Penalty.

#16 Roboticus Prime

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 07 November 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

^This. The nickname (at least to my mind) derives from the fact that there is no logical, in-universe explanation for the Heat Scale. "You're firing three of those at once? Sure! Here's more than triple the heat of firing them singly."

No natural explanation? Supernatural. Ghost Heat is born :P

All this because they stuck with a soft cap for the heat capacity of mechs... no opaque and unexplained mechanics would be necessary with a hard cap. But that's a whole 'nuther thread, and I'll stop hijiacking now ;)

Think of it this way, If you are heating up a piece of metal with a blowtorch, it heats up at a steady pace. if you add more blowtorches, you can get higher temperatures faster.

#17 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostRoboticus03, on 07 November 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Think of it this way, If you are heating up a piece of metal with a blowtorch, it heats up at a steady pace. if you add more blowtorches, you can get higher temperatures faster.

pretty much this.. except the "ghost heat" should then only really apply to weapons being shot off of the same area, ie.. 2 lasers from 1 arm should heat up faster, but 1 from each arm shouldn't really be affecting eachother

right?

Edited by cSand, 07 November 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#18 Roboticus Prime

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostscJazz, on 07 November 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Technically it is "Ghost Heat:The Magnum Opus" to describe both the unseen nature and complexity of the Heat Penalty.

The "unseen" nature will be handled in UI 2.0 (Reseen? ;) ). And it's not really complex at all. The more of the same weapons (blowtorches) you fire at once, the higher temps you'll reach.

#19 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostRoboticus03, on 07 November 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

The "unseen" nature will be handled in UI 2.0 (Reseen? :P ). And it's not really complex at all. The more of the same weapons (blowtorches) you fire at once, the higher temps you'll reach.

OK Then explain how 3xAC2s which should be usable end up with Ghost Heat ;)
Answer: since weapons in the same group can actually end up firing 0.10 seconds in delay AC2s end up with Ghost Heat Penalty if fired Chain or Group 3 at a time when fired for more than 2 seconds :P

Yes over all it isn't complex... do not use lots of X where X is your favorite long range high alpha gun.

#20 Roboticus Prime

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostscJazz, on 07 November 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

OK Then explain how 3xAC2s which should be usable end up with Ghost Heat ;)
Answer: since weapons in the same group can actually end up firing 0.10 seconds in delay AC2s end up with Ghost Heat Penalty if fired Chain or Group 3 at a time when fired for more than 2 seconds :P

Yes over all it isn't complex... do not use lots of X where X is your favorite long range high alpha gun.

Yay!

And I apologize for hijacking this thread. I consider the term "ghost heat" a relic of the forum flame wars, and should not be spread to new players. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users