Status Of Ingame Voip Integration?

45 replies to this topic

#1 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

Is it currently worked on, or at least somewhere in the develop plan? I know there is Teamspeak and this C3 thing, but this don't solve the problem to communicate in pugs.

So i would love to hear something about this.

#2 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

As soon as they say "Soon©®™", it will only be one or 2 more years.

#3 Tekadept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Dont hold your breath for it to be anytime in the forseeable future unless UI2.0 includes voip :(

Edited by Tekadept, 03 November 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#4 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

C3 in MWO is a "poor man's integration" like the current "built in chat interface" in MWO.

Don't expect this to change anytime soon.

#5 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

Wait... C3???? Is there already ANY offering???? Nothing I have read mentions this.

#6 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

C-3 WAS put inthe game by MW:O, but you had to log in before you joined the game for it to work. Most people who are today complaining about "Evil Premades" or who are always crying that VOIP is SOOOOOO unfair are the same people who, while C-3 was being tested, either refused to use it or were the "12 year olds" who were always screaming, yelling, shouting profanities in that system.

People asking for integrated voice should really be careful what they are asking for. Integrated into the game means that anyone who is dropping on your team can use it, ANYONE. most of the TS3 servers need a password and have a small and simple user request form that you have to fill out once. Then there are moderators who can ban/kick/block and users who abuse the system or who don't follow the rules. Integrated voice, you either turn it on or off, and suffer for your choice.

#7 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

When you ask for integrated VoIP, consider what you would use it for that cannot be done currently. For the most part, commands are pretty simple to make so long as you aren't under fire. "Attack from this position", "Defend that position" are available to anyone in command, and as a regular pug player, I can tell you that people rarely even take command.

What we really don't have and need are commands while under fire: "attack my target", and SOS signals are important as well as maybe some spotting info (<enemy variant> spotted at <grid location>). With this, you have the same advantages that the guys using TS3 have, but without the full integration of VoIP and all the annoying 12 year olds that come with it. Give us a black list perma-ignore feature for those who abuse the system and the communication gap is gone, and it's relatively easy to implement.

#8 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 04 November 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

C-3 WAS put inthe game by MW:O, but you had to log in before you joined the game for it to work. Most people who are today complaining about "Evil Premades" or who are always crying that VOIP is SOOOOOO unfair are the same people who, while C-3 was being tested, either refused to use it or were the "12 year olds" who were always screaming, yelling, shouting profanities in that system.

People asking for integrated voice should really be careful what they are asking for. Integrated into the game means that anyone who is dropping on your team can use it, ANYONE. most of the TS3 servers need a password and have a small and simple user request form that you have to fill out once. Then there are moderators who can ban/kick/block and users who abuse the system or who don't follow the rules. Integrated voice, you either turn it on or off, and suffer for your choice.

Oh no, what could possibly be done about that? I mean, it would just be impossible for them to implement a mute function like every game with voip ever has had. It's too bad that they can't put that feature into the game and we'd have to either hear nothing or hear everything. What a shame.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postaniviron, on 05 November 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

Oh no, what could possibly be done about that? I mean, it would just be impossible for them to implement a mute function like every game with voip ever has had. It's too bad that they can't put that feature into the game and we'd have to either hear nothing or hear everything. What a shame.

What a shame that there are 3 servers set up and ready to go for players who have TS3.

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 November 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

What a shame that there are 3 servers set up and ready to go for players who have TS3.

And I assume you will be the one to coordinate all the players I get dropped with, right? 20 seconds pre-match should be more than enough time for you to get everyone on my team to download ts3 and get into the right server and channel, no problem.

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

View Postaniviron, on 05 November 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

And I assume you will be the one to coordinate all the players I get dropped with, right? 20 seconds pre-match should be more than enough time for you to get everyone on my team to download ts3 and get into the right server and channel, no problem.

I don't even do any coordinating on our servers. You down load it, tell your friends to do the same. Go to a server and let them know where you are. I have used the TS3 public servers, they are not hard to master.

#12 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 November 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

I don't even do any coordinating on our servers. You down load it, tell your friends to do the same. Go to a server and let them know where you are. I have used the TS3 public servers, they are not hard to master.

I too know how to use TS3; I've been using TS for coordination in video games since TS1 was new. That's not my problem.

The problem I have is that every friend I have introduced to this game no longer plays because the grind was too slow or the game too unbalanced. Every person with whom I would want to play and talk on TS does not play.

This means I drop almost exclusively alone. And I want to coordinate with the people I'm dropping with, even though I am not in a group with them, don't know them, and am not already on teamspeak with them. Getting them on to teamspeak is not an option. The game needs voip built in.

#13 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 04 November 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

When you ask for integrated VoIP, consider what you would use it for that cannot be done currently. For the most part, commands are pretty simple to make so long as you aren't under fire. "Attack from this position", "Defend that position" are available to anyone in command, and as a regular pug player, I can tell you that people rarely even take command.

I've found the commands to be about as intuitive as writing them down and mailing them to each player individually. As in I don't think the designers that implemented the system had played many PC games that were actually good at this at the time. I never bothered taking command because using it was far more work than it needed to be. Which would be fine (if still unintuitive) if the Command Console brought in a player to just handle that but you're right, the commands are so stupid simple. I still think that's in part due to them not being easier to utilize though and thus no one's really looked into it much.

View Postaniviron, on 05 November 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

This means I drop almost exclusively alone. And I want to coordinate with the people I'm dropping with, even though I am not in a group with them, don't know them, and am not already on teamspeak with them. Getting them on to teamspeak is not an option. The game needs voip built in.

If we do actually get lobbies that should solve some of this. By that I mean being able to coordinate things like mech selection with your team before hitting the matchmaker. Which if we had that (which sounds like the plan) we could easily drop in TS info and wait for people to download it etc without inconveniencing another team of players.

Then again Planetside 2 lets you talk to anyone and everyone you group with or even just walk by so... We're controlling giant war machines, it does make some sense that they feature communication systems they logically would have to a degree.

Edited by Karyudo ds, 05 November 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#14 Nuds

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

My group used C3 when we first started playing and I still use it to this day, but not as much as before. It was a pretty good compromise between programs such as TS3 and mumble which where geared towards people who know what an Ip address is and stuff like skype which is more about downloading it and it works no fuss. The way C3 worked in MWO is if you joined a group it would automatically join the leader's channel. This only worked if you had C3 running in the background and if you had C3 VOIP integration enabled in the options menu. The functionality seems to be patched out now but you can still see the option in the menu.

If they still wanted to use C3 VOIP integration I would hope that it worked similar to the idea as before but instead of it just applying if you where in a group it would apply to people in the same lance. C3 also supports talking in more then one channel at a time so if you took company command or lace command it could also add you to a separate command channel that would allow leaders to talk to each other while maintaining communication with their individual lances. I think this implementation would make the Lance organization tools more relevant in PUG matches as it would make sense to group together into role specific lances to talk and coordinate with each other. Keeping communication in the lance could also reduce the number of potential players that would get targeted by annoying individuals and would make the muting process faster if it happened.

I like C3 as it is entirely free to use and it made channel setup quick and easy. The interface was visually pleasing but the layout could use some work. It allowed for lots of social options such as personal profiles, searchable tags, and message of the day. It lacks an in-game overlay meaning you have to alt tab out to adjust volume.The latency was also pretty bad, I would say .5 to a full second delay. If MWO still wants to support C3 integration I would say they should work on an overlay that shows you who is talking and allows you to adjust volume in game. this could possibly be accomplished on one of the blank screens in the cockpit. Recently my group members have been experiencing connection issues and call clarity problems which is why we have stopped using it to communicate as much. This seems to indicate that C3 is losing support from Vivox so it is probably doomed to never get past it's beta designation.

#15 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Intigrated voice chat can only improve a new players experince, help build the MWO community, and make Community Warfare succeed.

When the subject of voice chat comes up people should never say "why have voice in game when I can use TS3/Vent/X-Fire/ect". The players should say "why use a 3rd party voice system when the game already has a functional integrated system?".

This is a team based competitive game, there should never be an obstacle for communication and teamwork. A player should never need to use a 3rd party program in order to play the game at its fullest potential.

#16 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ame-voice-chat/

#17 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 04 November 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Let's at least be honest here. No one used the c3 "implementation." Almost literally. I ran c3 for a while when it dropped, saw - at most - 5 people across every "channel" tagged for MWO that I could find. There was no danger of "12yo nerd rage" because no one was there. Ever.

Partially because C3 is inferior to other choices out there (TS3, Vent, Mumble) and partially because the implementation was poorly promoted and kinda barely worked.

The bigger, community run TS servers are the closest we are going to get to integrated voice.

Edited by Bagheera, 10 November 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#18 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Oh I am sure it's tied into UI 2.0 somehow, like everything else in this game.

#19 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

TBH, one of the things that makes C3 less than desirable is the fact that you need an account. This isn't like the classic IM messengers that we're used to... but for voice chat software like TS3/Vent, this is not needed. So it's not as desirable to use C3 in its current form (plus the integration doesn't seem optimal at all).

#20 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

You guys seem to know exactly why it's needed, and I agree.
Any 3rd party non-integrated system is doomed to fail. If any VOIP solution requires per-match configuration to talk to the right people, or any form of coordination between random people then forget it, it's not going to happen.

This game desperately needs VOIP, because even an average 4 man with TS can just roflstomp pugs all day. I don't have any friends who want to play MWO, so it's the PUG life for me, and text chat simply isn't good enough.

If you agree I set up a poll a few days ago, hopefully we can get some attention, however unlikely a prospect that is:
http://mwomercs.com/...32#entry2915932

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users