28 replies to this topic

#1 Menson

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern California, USA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

I sometimes play a brawler, and sometimes I play a ranged support (200-500 meters). I hardly ever use LRMs. I remember back in the day the devs talked about having "Classes" that mech warriors could unlock which would help to customize the player's experience. From what I see, it only seems to be the "scout" class is available for everyone. Should I be waiting for other "classes" to become available? If these are the only modules available for a long time I link I'l just spend my GPX sooner rather then later.

I have 7k in GXP saved up and I'm looking at advanced zoom or target info gathering. I might save up for 360º target retension, or seismic sensors. I'm on the fence about target decay, because to me that seems more for LRM indirect fire support. But on the other hand, target decay would be good to track down a fleeing mech who jumps over that row of buildings to know if they go left or right.

Zoom looks good for better accuracy at range and more pin-point damage in brawls which can increase my damage output to bring down the other team faster. Less mechs shooting at my team-mates is always a good thing.

Info gathering seems good to have, because it would be good to know where to hit an already damaged mech and what weapon load-out they're using so I know who to avoid. Does info gathering / sensor range stack with BAP?

Seismic sensor would be good to track down a fleeing mech, or to know if there's someone coming around a blind corner.

Does 360º target retension work only if I'm currently targeting them when they move behind me, or will they show up on my mini-map if I've never seen them before?

I've never used consumables before. For 40k c-bills do I get one per match, or do I get ONE for 40k c-bills and then have to buy another ONE for 40k c-bills?

I know there are a lot of players out there who have played more then my 200 matches. Any advice on which module to unlock first would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Advanced Zoom is great for looking at long range or picking off mech pieces from medium range.

Seismic is great for a brawler, but it's about to get nerfed.

Info Gathering could be helpful if you like to target parts of a mech.

Target Decay is generally better than 360 target retention, though 360 might replace Seismic in general when Seismic gets nerfed.

Edit: Almost forgot, Capture Assist is pretty nice, and if you ever brawl near cap points, it could be very useful.

Consumables are on your mech till you use them, then need to be replaced.

Edited by Bront, 03 November 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#3 Dan Baxter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

I can't give too much advice on modules since I've spent most of my C-bills on 'mechs, but Advanced Seismic is currently one of the best modules you can equip on any 'mech ( though it may become more situational in November). I've heard that advanced zoom is only really useful for snipers. Sensor range and BAP do stack, and for consumables you have to buy a new one every time you use one. (example: buy 1 coolant flush, use it during a match, buy another one afterwards if you want/need to).

Edit: Ninja'd.

Edited by Dan Baxter, 03 November 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

The role warfare (classes) were never meant to be exclusive. Some modules are oriented towards a particular role, but it was never meant for only certain mechs to use certain modules or for you to be forced to specialize.

Scouts, brawlers, LRM support are all very different roles and will have different needs for modules to choose.

Advanced Zoom is not that great and I wouldn't buy it at the expense of other modules. If you're closer than 600m you don't need to be using advanced zoom, and using it in a brawl is not recommended.

Faster info gathering does stack as far as I know. This is helpful on a front-line mech and the faster information will be shared with the team faster as well!

siesmic is pretty much the best module, for exactly that reason: seeing what's behind that corner/ridgeline.

360 retention requires you to have a solid lock on them before they move behind you.

consumables are indeed 40k every time you use one.

Read up on what modules do here: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#module_pilot

#5 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Seismic is king at the moment but is due to be nerfed this month.

A new "Hill Climbing module" is expected to be released at the same time as the Seismic Nerf.

Target Decay is mainly used by LRM boats although it isn't a totally useless module for Scouts/Brawlers. Friendly Lurmers will still benefit from your extended lock.

Advanced Zoom is... meh... look honestly I hate it and I hate people using it because they end up with Gunsight blindness. Unable to notice friendlies moving into their Field of Fire and oblivious to enemies flanking them.

360 Retention is for mechs sporting lots of Streaks or Light Hunters, more or less the same thing.

Targeting Range and Info Gathering both stack with BAP. So you can have a targeting range of 1200m with Range + BAP or an insanely fast target info. Please note Targeting Range increases ECM breakthrough range to 250m from 200m there is no BAP range extention for this effect.

Honestly, hold on to your GXP and CBills for another couple of weeks while we find out just how the changes to Seismic and the new module work out!

#6 Kekkone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Seismic first. Even if you're not in a brawler, the enemy might be. It helps on your overall battle awareness. Whoah i got a light on my six! 6 blips around that corner, guess i'm not going in without support!

After seismic it's more personal preference. I did target info gathering and target decay after seismic. Info gathering for those tight situations where every millisecond counts. Get to know that unarmored torso before your enemy might be the difference in a kill or a trashed mech. Target decay is good for team play (and spotting c-bills :P ), as your own LRM-boats will get the benefits from your longer locks.

#7 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

To expand on Bront's answer...

The Seismic nerf will mean it will no longer function when you are moving. Large-calibre weapon hits to the ground will also cause seismic traces. Currently it is an almost-compulsory game-legal wallhack that makes it nigh impossible to sneak up on someone as long as they're paying attention to their map. I still think it will be a solid choice after its nerf, but it will be a lot more situational than it is now.

As far as I know, Info Gathering does stack with BAP.

360-retention only works on your targeted enemy, and only within 200m.

I run UAVs for my consumable of choice. They're absolutely fantastic, and I've already sunk about 30k GXP into them (unlock, then one upgrage. Currently working on the next 15k GXP to make them as good as the ones). You pay 40k c-bills for each item. So, I'd buy a UAV, spend it in a game, then have to spend 40k more to buy one for the next round.

aaaaand ninja'd by like four people.

Edited by Arnold J Rimmer, 03 November 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#8 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 03 November 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

aaaaand ninja'd by like four people.

We have run out of newbs asking good questions so of course we all jumped on this one :P :)

#9 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostscJazz, on 03 November 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Advanced Zoom is... meh... look honestly I hate it and I hate people using it because they end up with Gunsight blindness. Unable to notice friendlies moving into their Field of Fire and oblivious to enemies flanking them.
Advanced Zoom used properly usually means you don't use it 100% of the time, you simply use it on occasions when you need to line up the shot. But yes, it's easy to get tunnel vision.

#10 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostBront, on 03 November 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Advanced Zoom used properly usually means you don't use it 100% of the time, you simply use it on occasions when you need to line up the shot. But yes, it's easy to get tunnel vision.

Yesterday, I ended up spectating 2 matches (only 2 deaths yesterday as well but that is a different story :P ). I watched in stunned horror as one newb was using Adv Zoom at 90m and another where a DakkaJager blasted a friendly TBT straight dead firing on a target at 400m.

It can be argued that the TK was the fault of the TBT, except that would be wrong. Like driving the guy in front always has the right of way!

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostscJazz, on 03 November 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

We have run out of newbs asking good questions so of course we all jumped on this one :P :)

More noobs for the noob god.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 03 November 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#12 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostscJazz, on 03 November 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Yesterday, I ended up spectating 2 matches (only 2 deaths yesterday as well but that is a different story :P ). I watched in stunned horror as one newb was using Adv Zoom at 90m and another where a DakkaJager blasted a friendly TBT straight dead firing on a target at 400m.

It can be argued that the TK was the fault of the TBT, except that would be wrong. Like driving the guy in front always has the right of way!

I have to strongly disagree with this. People need to be aware of firing lanes, and stop just stomping in front of people while they're firing.

Walk in front of someone who's firing at someone else, and don't be surprised if you eat an alpha in the back.

Yes, the mech firing needs to be watching, but often you just can't see them coming for one reason or another. Particularly those morons who pass in very closely in front of you.

#13 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostscJazz, on 03 November 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Adv Zoom at 90m

How else am I supposed to see the pilot wet his pants as I cockpit him?

#14 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 November 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

I have to strongly disagree with this. People need to be aware of firing lanes, and stop just stomping in front of people while they're firing.

Walk in front of someone who's firing at someone else, and don't be surprised if you eat an alpha in the back.

Yes, the mech firing needs to be watching, but often you just can't see them coming for one reason or another. Particularly those morons who pass in very closely in front of you.

I totally understand... EVERYONE needs to be aware of the fire lanes! It doesn't change the fact that it is the person in back who needs to be most aware. This is a simple fact. Repeated not only in the Military, but in simple Traffic Rules. If you rear end a car it is your fault. If you shoot a buddy in the back it is your fault.

Advanced Zoom and Zoom in general reduce situational awareness to the point of Gunsight Blindness.

Don't be that guy who rear ends your buddy :P

View PostBront, on 03 November 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

How else am I supposed to see the pilot wet his pants as I cockpit him?

lmao!

#15 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Even with the upcomming nerf seismic is still damn handy, cap accelerator is nice for conquest due to the (very stupid) captimes there now, but very situational on assault and pretty much is only useful for desperate measure or trolling serious players. *points to the many many 'noob capwarrior' threads*

#16 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

You can read up on modules in my tier list (link below).

#17 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostscJazz, on 03 November 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

I totally understand... EVERYONE needs to be aware of the fire lanes! It doesn't change the fact that it is the person in back who needs to be most aware. This is a simple fact. Repeated not only in the Military, but in simple Traffic Rules. If you rear end a car it is your fault. If you shoot a buddy in the back it is your fault.

Advanced Zoom and Zoom in general reduce situational awareness to the point of Gunsight Blindness.

Don't be that guy who rear ends your buddy :(

lmao!

If you move through someone's firing lane, that's one thing. I accept that's the reality of things, and often it's either unavoidable or easy to miss.

If someone just walks through for me, I do everything in my power to not hit them. Often this means flicking my lasers up into the sky to avoid the FF - and enrages me because OMG CAN'T YOU SEE THE BEAMS.

But there always seems to be That Guy. The guy who moves into your line of fire, and parks there. You peek around a bit of cover, tracking a hostile about to peek out, Gauss charging, then That Guy pushes in front of you firing blindly around... and wasting a great shot. Because That Guy is totally unable to understand that you really can't cram a whole team into one small bit of cover.

It always seems That Guy, when he's there, does it over and over and over again. This adds a bit of rage each time, until I start losing shots whether or not his *** is in the way.

To be clear, though, this is assuming someone is walking in front of you up close, not well downrange. Where you can't see them coming, or have every reason to assume they're not going to stumble in front of you, because you should never walk immediately in front of another mech, unless you're trying to shield him from enemy fire.

Don't mind my rantiness. I've just had a lot of That Guy lately... Makes me desperately, desperately wish for melee attacks. I'd so pack a hatchet along specifically to hack at people who do that.

#18 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 November 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

If you move through someone's firing lane, that's one thing. I accept that's the reality of things, and often it's either unavoidable or easy to miss.

If someone just walks through for me, I do everything in my power to not hit them. Often this means flicking my lasers up into the sky to avoid the FF - and enrages me because OMG CAN'T YOU SEE THE BEAMS.

But there always seems to be That Guy. The guy who moves into your line of fire, and parks there. You peek around a bit of cover, tracking a hostile about to peek out, Gauss charging, then That Guy pushes in front of you firing blindly around... and wasting a great shot. Because That Guy is totally unable to understand that you really can't cram a whole team into one small bit of cover.

It always seems That Guy, when he's there, does it over and over and over again. This adds a bit of rage each time, until I start losing shots whether or not his *** is in the way.

To be clear, though, this is assuming someone is walking in front of you up close, not well downrange. Where you can't see them coming, or have every reason to assume they're not going to stumble in front of you, because you should never walk immediately in front of another mech, unless you're trying to shield him from enemy fire.

Don't mind my rantiness. I've just had a lot of That Guy lately... Makes me desperately, desperately wish for melee attacks. I'd so pack a hatchet along specifically to hack at people who do that.

OMG, you've seen him too?! :(

I've had a few matches where if I didn't know any better I'd say the guy is purposely trying to punk me. That Guy would step in front of my shot, so I'd move...not insubstantially (several hundred meters), and next thing I know, there he is again. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. At one point I started counting the number of shots this one guy fouled up on me, and it was so absurd as to be funny...no less than 15 times he'd blown my shots. In fact, I circled around and came from the other side of the "mound" in Caustic Valley, separating myself from him, and within 30 seconds this guy hunted me down and stood in front of me again.

I suppose I could look at it as a "glass half-full" opportunity...he was soaking up all the damage from my intended targets. :D

#19 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:34 AM

View PostMenson, on 03 November 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

I sometimes play a brawler, and sometimes I play a ranged support (200-500 meters). I hardly ever use LRMs. I remember back in the day the devs talked about having "Classes" that mech warriors could unlock which would help to customize the player's experience. From what I see, it only seems to be the "scout" class is available for everyone. Should I be waiting for other "classes" to become available? If these are the only modules available for a long time I link I'l just spend my GPX sooner rather then later.

I don't think "classes" will be coming anytime soon.
I play at similar range, Im going to assume you will be using mostly A/Cs and MLaz. Would recommend getting Target Info Gathering first, knowing where to target quickly will greatly help speed up removing/disable an enemy mech.

I have 7k in GXP saved up and I'm looking at advanced zoom or target info gathering. I might save up for 360º target retension, or seismic sensors. I'm on the fence about target decay, because to me that seems more for LRM indirect fire support. But on the other hand, target decay would be good to track down a fleeing mech who jumps over that row of buildings to know if they go left or right.

Zoom looks good for better accuracy at range and more pin-point damage in brawls which can increase my damage output to bring down the other team faster. Less mechs shooting at my team-mates is always a good thing.

Info gathering seems good to have, because it would be good to know where to hit an already damaged mech and what weapon load-out they're using so I know who to avoid. Does info gathering / sensor range stack with BAP?

Seismic sensor would be good to track down a fleeing mech, or to know if there's someone coming around a blind corner.

Does 360º target retension work only if I'm currently targeting them when they move behind me, or will they show up on my mini-map if I've never seen them before?

I've never used consumables before. For 40k c-bills do I get one per match, or do I get ONE for 40k c-bills and then have to buy another ONE for 40k c-bills?

I know there are a lot of players out there who have played more then my 200 matches. Any advice on which module to unlock first would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Adv. Zoom are useful if you engage at 500-700m range, that is about how far the 4x zoom let you see.
My dual A/C2 BJ carries one and use it to pling target with precision at those range.
Not recommended for brawler build that carries token ERLLaz or ERPPC.
Also unlike "quick-zoom" in other FPS, zooming generally does not make you more deadly in brawl.

Hardly use 360 Target Retention, as I understand it doesn't even keep lock-on for SSRM2 and only target 1 enemy. But will still show them as a red triangle behind you on the mini map. Somewhat useful if you are keeping lock for a teammate with LRM.

Target Decay are more useful for LRM user than brawler, using it to chase escaping mech is kinda wasteful but it does help keep lock for friendly LRM user. But LRM user should carry their own module.

Sensor Range improve your radar range by 15% and 25% after upgrade.
This indirectly boost the reach of your LRM up to 1000m, however it is not advice-able to use LRM at that range has it give enemy ample time to dodge the incoming missiles.

Better hold off on getting Seismic until this week's patch or next week, to see how it was changed. What have been confirmed so far is that you can only use it when your mech is at a full stop. (I would not mind it if they extend the range along with the new mechanics)

Consumables are not something you should consider until you can make a steady income from match. You have to re-buy them after use, each purchase is 40k Cbill off your bank.

#20 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:02 AM

IMO, the best modules depend on your playstyle.....

In priority order....

Brawlers:
1: Seismic (at least as it is NOW)
2: Target Info Gather
3: if a 3rd slot, Advanced Sensor Range

Range/Snipers:
1: Advanced Zoom
2: Advanced Sensor Range
3: Target Info Gather

LRM's:
1: Advanced Sensor Range
2: Target Decay