• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 10 November 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

I think the problem you face is the money and whatever deal they struck with C3. PGI is technically/indirectly supporting TS3 through NGNG, but trying to advertise this would be a direct violation of whatever the agreement/money that C3 has provided. In a sense, PGI has to pay off C3 to stop using their software... which I doubt they have zero intention of doing.

I don't care what software is used, just get in-game voip goin. No special thrid-party downloads. Just get it incorporated. Then add a mute feature and we're golden

#22 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostEpalypso, on 06 November 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

And I refuse to use a Virus Spaming program like teamspeak.

Never had a single problem using TS or Vent in a great many years of using voip for game comms.

But more to the original point of ingame voip you brought up. Will not be used as people will turn it off or put volume at zero because people abuse it and make stupid noises, play music, and the like. This is how it was in WoT and will be the same here imo.

#23 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:14 AM

Sooo,

yay for being a Network Admin...

hmm. Been using it since its 1st release. Hosted from a box at my house for years. Currently is hosted from a friends home server he has probably hosted for a decade.

DON'T click on random user links, and DON'T download random files from server channels posted from users. (However a smart host would only allow uploads from a trusted permission group) Nothing new for someone that uses inet.

TS has been a trusted VOIP program for a long time in the gaming world. Thread should be tossed for bad info to new people.

Edited by Dozier, 11 November 2013 - 02:16 AM.

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostSandpit, on 10 November 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

I don't care what software is used, just get in-game voip goin. No special thrid-party downloads. Just get it incorporated. Then add a mute feature and we're golden

Did you just ignore exactly the issue I've just written that you've just quoted?

Plus, the worst part is that I don't think PGI has the resources to develop their own in-house solution, without delaying UI 2.0 and/or CW. It's just easier to license and/or support an external option.

#25 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 12 November 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

Did you just ignore exactly the issue I've just written that you've just quoted?

Plus, the worst part is that I don't think PGI has the resources to develop their own in-house solution, without delaying UI 2.0 and/or CW. It's just easier to license and/or support an external option.

No sir, I ignored nothing. I quoted you because I was showing I don't care what they have to do to get it, I just wants it done! lol

#26 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

I feel like this is something I would want to disable if it was implemented.

If you're playing with a group, you're on a VoIP server already. Having it in game usually means I'm clicking names to be muted rather than coordinating with them.

#27 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostSandpit, on 12 November 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

No sir, I ignored nothing. I quoted you because I was showing I don't care what they have to do to get it, I just wants it done! lol

Well, I can tell you without hesitation is that it won't get done anytime soon.

The best PGI could do is "integrate" TS3 like they did with C3 (which is just launching the external program) and connecting to the NGNG server and use reserved rooms for PUG play. That's the best you could hope for.

Otherwise, we're just back to "C3? lol"

#28 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

I tried to use and like C3, I really did. I just think it's a lot less intuitive and much more complicated than TS.

#29 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostSandpit, on 10 November 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

Nah, my job gives me plenty of that thankfully. I'm a prime example of first world problems lol

You and me buddy you and me! :)

#30 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostSandpit, on 12 November 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

I tried to use and like C3, I really did. I just think it's a lot less intuitive and much more complicated than TS.

I was already turned off with "I had to register an account?!?!"

That was "duh" moment I had with C3.

#31 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 12 November 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

I was already turned off with "I had to register an account?!?!"

That was "duh" moment I had with C3.

Me too. Zero integration means that I choose my own voice-chat.

#32 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

yay for being a Network Admin...

Oh... you are "one of those" network admins. <_<

I worked for a company with one of those. As tech support having to trouble shoot why our software couldn't connect to "Home Base" through various routers and modems we needed access to the manufacturer's information. The end users never new the layout of the firewalls or anything else useful, they just wanted it fixed. So we needed to look the info up. Well, the network admin didn't want us going to any sites where we might a) pick up viruses, ;) possibly see naughty pictures, or c) have any non-work related content.

His solution. We could use google but could not go to any other page that was approved in advance by him personally. So we had to submit a website, our reason we needed it for work, and wait for him to personally preview it and unlock it in the system. Which meant we had all of 2 sites we could visit, Google(but not follow any of the links), and some site he decided would tell use how to troubleshoot a cable modem (it had all of 5 manufacturers on it and the most expanded one had 3 models all of which were nearly obsolete).

Our solution. Smart phones and using our personal data plans to do our work... until we found other employment.

I've dealt with the, "No... you can't use IRC as a program to chat with groups between campuses. You can get viruses from it." Um... the IRC server is hosted internally.

Yes, PGI needs to work on integrating C3 better into the system since they are stuck with it (much like my company and it's current crappy "ticket" system) but they give us the tools out there and the community is using them. If you are not that is your choice.

#33 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

This is exactly the solution I have proposed here: http://mwomercs.com/...32#entry2915932

People spamming Mic? Mute em. Have your own VOIP for your premade? Mute all button.
There's really no reason not to have it. Saying we shouldn't have VOIP is like saying that people "might" abuse it is like saying that you shouldn't connect your PC to the internet because you "might" get viruses. The benefits far outweigh any negatives, which will be minimized but long standing systems (lke mute) that have been in place for over a decade.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 15 November 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#34 Pertinax75

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

View PostHighlandCoo, on 08 November 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

Even if it is in - no one will use it.

There are already plenty of voip options for thoese that want it.

There are plenty of other games with built in voip and no one uses them
- BF3 and BF4
- Payday 2
- Planetside 2

Everyone is silent and chats in text.

The only reason in game VOIP is demanded so often is because the matchmaker plonks Groups and Solo's toghether. Thats the real issue.

Are you serious? I bought Rising storm this december, playing that game without voice would be 10X more difficult, as is MWO. This game needs it badly. I dont understand the focus on UI revamp while voice isnt working.

Edited by Pertinax75, 06 January 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#35 Radbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Sooo,

Am I doomed to type out all my words and comments to my team?

Yes, because...

View PostHighlandCoo, on 08 November 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

There are plenty of other games with built in voip and no one uses them
- BF3 and BF4
- Payday 2
- Planetside 2

Everyone is silent and chats in text.

And a big thanks to be able to disable VOIP. I am not ruining my gaming night listening to brats, background family noices or poeple with really bad mic-setups. IMHO adding VOIP to a game is a waste of resources as people who do want it use their own software, and others just don't want to use it.

#36 Ricktor Black

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

Honestly, at this point I don't really care. If I want to play with friends I use Teamspeak. What I'd rather have are context sensitive voice commands. If I could highlight a target and hit a button my team would hear "Targeting Bravo" that would probably be enough for me. A few basic voice commands pulled out from a radial menu or something like that. Basically the way Battlefield has been doing it for years I guess.

#37 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostSandpit, on 12 November 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

The fact that no one was ever on it didn't help either.

I hate to be "that guy" (no, not ThatGuy, he's pretty cool), but we're just going to have to let this go.

C3 will never be fully implemented.
PGI does not have the resources to roll their own solution.
NGNG, Comstar, faction servers, and private servers are all already successful with players.

As much as we may need/want automagical in-game voip for random matches, we're never going to get it.

It's time to give up and move on.

#38 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Precisely. I should not have to download and install some random 3rd party tool, get a server ID and password depending upon the group, and so on just to talk to people on my team.

Integrate it into the game, let us mute people quickly, and be done with it... but, as others have said, it'll never happen.

Edited by oldradagast, 07 January 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#39 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 07 January 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Precisely. I should not have to download and install some random 3rd party tool, get a server ID and password depending upon the group, and so on just to talk to people on my team.

Integrate it into the game, let us mute people quickly, and be done with it... but, as others have said, it'll never happen.

I don't think it will "never" happen I just think that since many have found success with TS it's very low on the priority list. I do think they're using it as a bit of a crutch (they being PGI) though and it's not realistic to expect every single player in the game to download a 3rd party app to achieve this.
With that said it's also entirely available to every player that plays. before we can get voip I think we would need lobbies and a much better "party up" system in place though. and a mute option isn't an option it has to be in place

#40 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

Mumble works great for us. We've used it since WoT early release and we've had no problems with it.

Frankly I'd rather they not install any VoIP directly into game. At best we found it to be a crappy quality way of communicating when new members could not/or have not installed Mumble yet.
In WoT you just end up having your ears bleed from the adolescent chatter or hear people enacting their dying drama. "Oh my god I got shot.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh."

From what I've read/been told, PGI said that a comms tree like BF or WoT (Attack/Defend/RTB) will eventually be put in place, but we're all told to wait for the magical mystical UI 2.0 so that all the myriad of problems can be address. I'd rather have that instead.

As to when... maybe consult the I-Ching or divine it somehow.

Edited by rolly, 07 January 2014 - 09:35 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users