#41 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostRicktor Black, on 07 January 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

Honestly, at this point I don't really care. If I want to play with friends I use Teamspeak. What I'd rather have are context sensitive voice commands. If I could highlight a target and hit a button my team would hear "Targeting Bravo" that would probably be enough for me. A few basic voice commands pulled out from a radial menu or something like that. Basically the way Battlefield has been doing it for years I guess.

Lets take it back beyond Battlefield man. Basic Tree commands have been around since Counter Strike. Thats 1999/2000. Nearly 13 years of advancement and development of what makes a "good" online game. WoT has a very successful Function Key system F5 = Affirmative, F6 = Negative, F7 = Help. Why they didn't integrate it at very least before the "release" is utterly beyond me. I guess they assume we're all touch-typists with a 72 wpm rating?

#42 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

View Postrolly, on 07 January 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Mumble works great for us. We've used it since WoT early release and we've had no problems with it.

Frankly I'd rather they not install any VoIP directly into game. At best we found it to be a crappy quality way of communicating when new members could not/or have not installed Mumble yet.
In WoT you just end up having your ears bleed from the adolescent chatter or hear people enacting their dying drama. "Oh my god I got shot.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh."

From what I've read/been told, PGI said that a comms tree like BF or WoT (Attack/Defend/RTB) will eventually be put in place, but we're all told to wait for the magical mystical UI 2.0 so that all the myriad of problems can be address. I'd rather have that instead.

As to when... maybe consult the I-Ching or divine it somehow.

as long as they included a mute option it would be ok

#43 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostEpalypso, on 06 November 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Sooo,

... SNIP

And I refuse to use a Virus Spaming program like teamspeak.

yay for being a Network Admin...

LOL are you serious? Dude, I'd edit that post asap, as it paints you as a real Mr. Dumas ........

I don't know what network you admin .....stay THERE though.. please.

#44 Pertinax75

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Another big reason to put voice on is it levels the playing field. Its a huge advantage to be able to communicate by voice, it shouldnt be something that gives an edge to people who already have an edge by having experience at the game and are already organized in pre-mades.

#45 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostPertinax75, on 10 January 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

Another big reason to put voice on is it levels the playing field. Its a huge advantage to be able to communicate by voice, it shouldnt be something that gives an edge to people who already have an edge by having experience at the game and are already organized in pre-mades.

People say it will level the playing field, but in most cases it won't. The first thing I do in any game with integrated VOIP is disable or mute all on it. I'm positive that I'm not the only one. People can yammer about muting the problem people all they want, it doesn't matter. If I want to hear people I will use TS with people I know. I have no interest in listening to strangers of whom many will warrant muting. The best bet is to pre empt that by just muting everyone. I've played this game and lots like it without a built in VOIP. All we need is a bunch of quick chat keys for playing in PUGS. In groups TS works fine. PGI has enough on their plat and limited skills and resources as it is. They can't even do the things they've already promised with any speed or ability, expecting them to add other features is silly.

#46 FERAL TIGER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

This game will take on a whole new dynamic with in-game voice chat. Until then, we're stuck with TS3

#47 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostFERAL TIGER, on 11 January 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

This game will take on a whole new dynamic with in-game voice chat. Until then, we're stuck with TS3

I wouldn't say "stuck" it does scatter the community a bit though.

What would be nice is the ability to make lobbies in-game like we can on TS servers. Allow units to have their own sections in-game to group up, discuss, hang out, etc.

#48 Pertinax75

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 11 January 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

People say it will level the playing field, but in most cases it won't. The first thing I do in any game with integrated VOIP is disable or mute all on it. I'm positive that I'm not the only one. People can yammer about muting the problem people all they want, it doesn't matter. If I want to hear people I will use TS with people I know. I have no interest in listening to strangers of whom many will warrant muting. The best bet is to pre empt that by just muting everyone. I've played this game and lots like it without a built in VOIP. All we need is a bunch of quick chat keys for playing in PUGS. In groups TS works fine. PGI has enough on their plat and limited skills and resources as it is. They can't even do the things they've already promised with any speed or ability, expecting them to add other features is silly.

I sure hope theyre not listening to feedback like this. Its pretty obvious that voice would make this game alot better. If you are playing 100% premade i can see how it doesnt affect you, but unless 100% this is something very needed. Theres no debate to be had, its just better, plain as day, not even gonna try to answer but you can hotkey msgs. Only debate is if they should devote resources to it and seeing how theyre using dev resources to do not so important stuff like revamp the UI id say a big yes.

Edited by Pertinax75, 13 January 2014 - 10:35 PM.

#49 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

View PostPertinax75, on 13 January 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

I sure hope theyre not listening to feedback like this. Its pretty obvious that voice would make this game alot better. If you are playing 100% premade i can see how it doesnt affect you, but unless 100% this is something very needed. Theres no debate to be had, its just better, plain as day, not even gonna try to answer but you can hotkey msgs. Only debate is if they should devote resources to it and seeing how theyre using dev resources to do not so important stuff like revamp the UI id say a big yes.

There's actually debate, the simple fact that people like me will turn it off shows you it's not going to improve things 100% for all players. I hope they are listening to feedback like this because they need to know that some people will turn it off first thing and it will be a waste of time for many. Besides they will also have to police all the people who will abuse it. So they have to balance the use of resources on something that many players will never use and that they will have to dedicate more resources to dealing with abusive and disruptive players given a new tool for griefing. There's a reason that after all these months and all the people who say how essential it is there has been no word of it.

#50 Effectz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 349 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 14 January 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

There's actually debate, the simple fact that people like me will turn it off shows you it's not going to improve things 100% for all players.

There's people like you and there's people NOT like you.It should be integrated so people can have the choice.

Besides they will also have to police all the people who will abuse it.

That's what a simple player mute button is for,it's in most if not all games with integrated VOIP.

So they have to balance the use of resources on something that many players will never use

There has been many threads on this subject with the majority of people saying they would use it including myself.

Edited by Effectz, 14 January 2014 - 05:34 AM.

#51 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostEffectz, on 14 January 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

There's people like you and there's people NOT like you.It should be integrated so people can have the choice.

That's what a simple player mute button is for,it's in most if not all games with integrated VOIP.

There has been many threads on this subject with the majority of people saying they would use it including myself.

Is the majority 100%? If not there is a debate. This team has shown they have limited resources and they have a whole lot of things on their plate. Why delay things that are needed for something that many people won't bother with. Also, the fact that this keeps being brought up and there is no evidence that the devs are doing anything about it argue how high a priority it is.
But feel free to post how important it is, and how everyone wants it, it's still not happening anytime soon.

#52 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

RG basically has the right of it.

I've said it in MANY threads like this one, hell, I may have even said it in this one.

Which feature should be put on hold to develop this? Clans? CW? Because you can't have it all.
Off the top of my head, I can name 3 VoIP solutions that are basically free to use and are already in widespread use by the community, why should the developers divert resources to develop another one just because the "majority" are too lazy to download a client and connect to an operating server on their own?

But, ultimately, as RG said. If this was something that "everyone" wants, how come no movement has been made with this feature? Yet with something like 3PV that "nobody" wanted, it was put in in less than 3 months. Ultimately, the Forums are a horribad metric to use when it comes to gauging what the Community wants (in PGIs eyes).

Plus, when you listen to the forums, you get something like "skirmish" mode rather than a meaningful and engaging one. Ponder that for a second.

#53 Spooky01

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

If they want this game to be as good as they want it to be , then they will have to at some point do want the consoles do, and that is, put a VOIP programme as they do with any console game. As soon as you are dropped into a team you can speak to them. I don't give a flying hoot that there are programs out there that can do this. we play this game and they should provide!
They make a hell of a lot of money out of us, time to give back.

#54 zhajin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

I am guessing he is referring to overwolf, which teamspeak will also install by default. not really a virus, but as a sys admin, I also deplore the practice of addons.

as for in game coms, or really any other modern online gaming feature, most of us have given up caring. PGI is so far behind on its "promised feature" list, most of it may never actually happen.

#55 p8ragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Out of curiosity, what TS server do most people join now?

#56 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

View Postp8ragon, on 14 January 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, what TS server do most people join now?

http://mwomercs.com/...mspeak-servers/

You can also check out the faction and merc sections of the forums

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users