42 replies to this topic

#1 stillnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSolaris V.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:51 AM

Hiya all!

This here is my first forum post (Yay!) and I totally excited for the future updates! That said I have a question about some mechs that I loved in past MW games that loved with a passion and I'm hoping a Developer will give a straight answer if possible.

So as I know already that the update for the clans will be coming sometime so that said I was hoping if you guys were thinking of bringing back some Battlemechs from MW2 31st Century Combat? Here are the ones I'm gonna mention:

The Nova-
Class - Medium
Tons - 30
Hard Points -
6 Energy
2 Missile

This was by far my favorite Medium BattleMech out there and this baby could take a massive beating before it eventually cored!

The MadDog-
Class - Assault/Support
Tons - 50 - 60 tons (around that)
Hard points -
8 Missile
4 Energy
1 Ballistic

This was my 2nd favorite Heavy/Support BattleMech, not because it looks VERY intimidating back in the day but it also had a very nasty bite to go along with its looks :)

Last but not least...

The Direwolf
Class - Assault
Tons - 100
Hard points -
8 Energy Hardpoints
2 Balistic
1 LRM or SRM

This battlemech was my absolute, bar none my favorite assault mech in the game. Armed with a Gauss Rifle in its left arm, 3 LPL on its right arm, and Duel SRM6s (or LRMs) on its left torso, along with a AMS this thing has enough firepower to make an Atlas **** a brick and wish it was never there!

So there ya go! Sorry about the personal opinion on the mechs I couldn't help myself :o Any answers from the Devs giving a maybe or working on it would be awesome!!! Can't wait for future updates guys, keep rolling on!

#2 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

Well we assume the 16 primary clan mechs will make an appearance at some point (whenever the clans finally arrive)... Clans however are fairly far out in the future as we still do not have UI 2.0 or Community Warfare which would come first.

However I have to question your list there though... The Nova (Blackhawk) is a 50 ton medium which in it's primary variant mounts 12 medium lasers. The Mad Dog (Vulture) is a 60 ton heavy which in it's primary config runs 2xLRM20s and paired LPL and MPLs. The Dire Wolf (Daishi) is a 100 ton assault mech and is the only one that matches it's standard config.

However I have to say clan omnimechs really need not to use hard points. The whole point of omnimechs is that you could run 20 small lasers if you wanted and had the space. The configs were just 'often seen weapons loadouts' and not hard an fast builds the way Inner Sphere mechs are.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Clans are being kept in the dark until it's too late to make a fuss about it, so don't expect any answers from the devs anytime soon.

#4 Fuzzbox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

Here comes the MechAssault audience?

#5 stillnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSolaris V.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostShadey99, on 06 November 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Well we assume the 16 primary clan mechs will make an appearance at some point (whenever the clans finally arrive)... Clans however are fairly far out in the future as we still do not have UI 2.0 or Community Warfare which would come first.

However I have to question your list there though... The Nova (Blackhawk) is a 50 ton medium which in it's primary variant mounts 12 medium lasers. The Mad Dog (Vulture) is a 60 ton heavy which in it's primary config runs 2xLRM20s and paired LPL and MPLs. The Dire Wolf (Daishi) is a 100 ton assault mech and is the only one that matches it's standard config.

However I have to say clan omnimechs really need not to use hard points. The whole point of omnimechs is that you could run 20 small lasers if you wanted and had the space. The configs were just 'often seen weapons loadouts' and not hard an fast builds the way Inner Sphere mechs are.

Well first off I got the specs for the MadDog, Nova, and Dire Wolf from the Mechwarrior 2 31st Century Combat game, I still have it on my Playstation 2 and I was playing it at the time too haha. Its an old game so its not surprising if most of the info is incorrect so my bad ;) Now the Omnimech part I actually saw on a Wiki related to Mechwarrior 31st Century Combat so I just added that in there too ;) Also, here is some good ol' classic 31st Century Combat music from the game itself: enjoy! B)

View PostIngrid, on 06 November 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Here comes the MechAssault audience?

I have Mechassault 1 and 2 I love them both, because well hey they have mechs and you stomp people into the ground. I understand that most people to not like it because its too 'casual' I guess. But hey I'm no critic I just love coring the poor bastar- guys that dare challenge my Mad Cat :rolleyes:

View PostFupDup, on 06 November 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Clans are being kept in the dark until it's too late to make a fuss about it, so don't expect any answers from the devs anytime soon.

I thought that was gonna be the answer that I was gonna get, but its all good! Can't wait for the clans to invade though! :D

#6 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

There isn't a lot to know about the Clan mechs for this game, but we do know a few things.

1. They're a ways off. We don't yet have 2 other major updates to add a new UI, and then an star map with planets to fight over. Those come first.

2. The Clan mechs in MWO will not be as powerful as they are in previous games. They used to be setup for 2 vs 1 odds against them being considered a fair fight, but in MWO it will probably be closer to 12 vs 10 against them.

3. Clan honor rules of warfare most likely will not be used. I.E. It would be asking too much of players to obey rules of warfare that say you cannot fire on an enemy that has already been shot by a team mate until after your team mate is down.

#7 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostShadey99, on 06 November 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

I really hope they do not open that can of worms... It would be a fiasco... Here's my take using the Timber Wolf as an example:

Primary Configuration:
CT - 2x ballistic
R/L Torso - 2x Missile each
R/L Arm - 2x Energy each

Alpha Configuration
CT - 1x Energy
RT - 2x Ballistic
LT - 3x Energy
R/L Arm - 1x Energy each

Beta Configuration
R/L Torso - 1x Missile each
RA - 1x Ballistic
LA - 2x Energy

Charlie Configuration
CT - 1x Energy
R/L Torso - 2x Missile Each
RA - 2x Ballistic
LA - 3x Energy

Delta Configuration
CT - 2x Energy
R/L Torso - 2x Missile
R/L Arm - 2x Energy

#8 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:38 AM

View Postcdlord, on 07 November 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

I really hope they do not open that can of worms... It would be a fiasco... Here's my take using the Timber Wolf as an example:

Well I don't see a better way of doing it. Hard points on Omnis is rather silly. Then again clan mechs all tend to run FF & ES as well as XL engines and DHS. They have 31 critical spaces they could technically use...

Though 20 ERSL would theoretically give you a 'alpha' of 60 (Not all that impressive at MPL range) and generate over 12 heat/second... Or slightly more than firing 4 PPCs... For roughly the damage of 4 PPCs. I'm not really scared of a 20 ERSL clan mech. The only upside it has is weight at 10 tons for 20 ERSL. Heck my favorite clan mech is the Locust IIC with it's 6 ERSL + MPL, though it isn't that different than a 5 ML Locust build here in MWO (Though I'd love to have a Locust with Commando weight)...

I'd like to see Omnimechs that simply had complete flexibility, but were forced to stay stock engine/ES/FF/DHS and so could only use their pod space. Heck they cost 3x as much as even our custom builds do, I'd hope we could do away with having to have 3 variants of everything... Especially with the cbill nerfs of late. How many 30 million mechs do you want to buy...? :)

#9 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostShadey99, on 08 November 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

Well I don't see a better way of doing it. Hard points on Omnis is rather silly. Then again clan mechs all tend to run FF & ES as well as XL engines and DHS. They have 31 critical spaces they could technically use...

Though 20 ERSL would theoretically give you a 'alpha' of 60 (Not all that impressive at MPL range) and generate over 12 heat/second... Or slightly more than firing 4 PPCs... For roughly the damage of 4 PPCs. I'm not really scared of a 20 ERSL clan mech. The only upside it has is weight at 10 tons for 20 ERSL. Heck my favorite clan mech is the Locust IIC with it's 6 ERSL + MPL, though it isn't that different than a 5 ML Locust build here in MWO (Though I'd love to have a Locust with Commando weight)...

I'd like to see Omnimechs that simply had complete flexibility, but were forced to stay stock engine/ES/FF/DHS and so could only use their pod space. Heck they cost 3x as much as even our custom builds do, I'd hope we could do away with having to have 3 variants of everything... Especially with the cbill nerfs of late. How many 30 million mechs do you want to buy...? :)

You make another good point. If memory serves, XL/FF/ES are NOT configurable.... If a chassis comes with that, then will players be forced to build out within those constraints? Perhaps combine this with my sized hardpoint idea and introduce a Universal Hardpoint..... The UH would not have a ballistic/energy/missile restriction but would have the size limitation. The UH would ONLY apply to omnimechs (and yes, the IS does eventually make their own).

Sub-divide hardpoints into Large and Small. Large can equip small but not the other way around.

Small Weapons: (energy) TAG, SL, ML, (ballistic) MG, AC2, AC5, (missile) NARC, SRM2, SRM4, LRM5, LRM10.
Large Weapons: (energy) LL, PPC, (ballistic) AC10, AC20, Gauss, (missile) SRM6, LRM15, LRM20.

*Includes variations of the listed weapons; ER, pulse, streak, LB-X, UAC, etc.

#10 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

Yeah I can't wait for the mad dog. SSRM16 anyone?

#11 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 08 November 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Yeah I can't wait for the mad dog. SSRM16 anyone?

With the Clans come SSRM4 and SSRM6 FYI. :)

#12 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

View Postcdlord, on 08 November 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

With the Clans come SSRM4 and SSRM6 FYI. :)

Somehow I doubt it.

Based on all the other completely missing features from Battletech I don't think they'll ever even attempt to balance or implement; SSRM 4/6, UAC 10/20, ER MLAS's, all that stuff

There's just no way this development team can handle tripling the number of weapons. They're ganna do something obscenely lame.

#13 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

View Poststillnight, on 06 November 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

The MadDog-
Class - Assault/Support
Tons - 50 - 60 tons (around that)
Hard points -
8 Missile
4 Energy
1 Ballistic

Clan mechs don't have any silly hard points. As long as it fits, they can bolt it onto the machine. :)

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 08 November 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

Somehow I doubt it.

Based on all the other completely missing features from Battletech I don't think they'll ever even attempt to balance or implement; SSRM 4/6, UAC 10/20, ER MLAS's, all that stuff

There's just no way this development team can handle tripling the number of weapons. They're ganna do something obscenely lame.

care to elucidate us as to the missing features, particularly in terms of available weaponry?

#15 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 November 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

care to elucidate us as to the missing features, particularly in terms of available weaponry?

Yeah cause Battletech is played in a vaccum containing only mechs. Pick up a sourcebook sometime.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 08 November 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

Yeah cause Battletech is played in a vaccum containing only mechs. Pick up a sourcebook sometime.

Ah, so when you have no actual argument, the idea is to bluster and attack?

I own all the pre 2000 sourcebooks. Have played in tournaments since 1987. Try again?

We are talking weapon systems, not vehicles, not infantry, but mechs and their guns. So, again, would you care to expound?

#17 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 November 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

Ah, so when you have no actual argument, the idea is to bluster and attack?

I own all the pre 2000 sourcebooks. Have played in tournaments since 1987. Try again?

We are talking weapon systems, not vehicles, not infantry, but mechs and their guns. So, again, would you care to expound?

No, you are talking that, I was originally talking about missing features.

#18 rdmgraziel

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

It'd be neat if the LBX was expanded beyond the LBX10, and LBX in general was given its alternate fire mode. I imagine it'd require double the ammo, or half the LBX ammo would be slugs and half would be shot for balancing reasons.

Same kinda deal with UAC's now that they seem mechanically sound without being unbalanced. I kind of want UAC2's for even more comical levels of dakka dakka, although I'm sure UAC20's would almost immediately be abused and cause massive QQing. (Just imagine a double-tapped dual UAC20 Jager, good god).

Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle should be within the timeline, either this year or next. (even if it is kind of a waste of space; 15 tons for the equivalent of an LBX15 with the propensity to explode of a Gauss rifle, but minus the LBX's ability to use slugs) And I believe there's other variations on existing weapons/weaponsystems also within the timeline. I seem to recall a variation/upgrade of LRMs that functions in a different fashion.

As to how Clan Mechs will be implemented, even though everyone LOVES Clan OmniMechs, Clanners also use BattleMechs. The Clan BattleMechs will work just like the IS 'Mechs do, just more expensive (complete with set/limited hardpoints). And I for one can't wait to get a Kodiak (although it'd kind of immediately outclass the Boar's Head Atlas). Clan OmniMechs will either have OmniPod slots with static internals or they'll have X Omni-points vs the Energy/Missile/Ballistic points of BattleMechs.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 08 November 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

No, you are talking that, I was originally talking about missing features.

What features are missing from the Inner Sphere right now? MASC...C3... What weapons are missing from our 3050 list?

#20 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 November 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

What features are missing from the Inner Sphere right now? MASC...C3... What weapons are missing from our 3050 list?

Arrow IV?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users