388 replies to this topic

#301 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostR Razor, on 12 November 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Don't disagree at all, it's the nature of the beast. At the end of the day though, the discussion is about the plethora of AC builds and you only see those because folks realize that's what wins games.

Anectodotal evidence such as "I use lasers and have a KDR or x.x" are nothing more than red herrings. Where there's smoke there's fire, and where there are enough folks making statements regarding the AC issue there is very likely an issue.

Remember when the mantra was "those with the most ECM always win" well that is not really true and never really was. Same rings true for AC's now. Otherwise the mantra "those with the most AC's always win" should be a fact. Well from personal experience, that is simply not the case.

YMMV ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 13 November 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#302 Febrosian R Gillingham

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostMadcatX, on 13 November 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

True, until the Cicada gets sniped by a mech with a higher alpha sniping build when it is popping out and aiming it's shot.

View PostYueFei, on 13 November 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

You could try to engage from 1000+ meters with ERPPCs, where the Cicada's speed lets it *literally* dodge enemy fire (takes a PPC bolt 666 milliseconds to get to target, human reflexes are about 200 milliseconds). Given the speed and size profile of a Cicada, versus the speed and size profile of an enemy Heavy or Assault sniper, there is going to be a sweet spot where the Cicada can always hit assuming perfect aim, and yet still be able to dodge return fire, even assuming the enemy Heavy/Assault sniper has perfect aim. I dunno if that sweet spot is at 1000 meters, but it logically must exist.

Of course such a Cicada loses to any other Cicada built for close-in fighting. That's the trade-off in the design.

It was easy to stay outside of return fire range with an erppc. Like YueFei said you could even dodge shots at long range. Also its a Cicada, with its relatively small profile, with ecm, that moved at ~125kph. You could easily pop up almost anywhere on the map, take a potshot, and duck down and reposition before anything could spot you. Being shot by bigger mechs was not a concern at all, and their alpha damage/range were almost irrelevant. Light mechs were the counter.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 13 November 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

And you are tying to tell me I am wrong? I am a power player shooting an enemy for minutes is against all my training. My favorite Quote, "If you are in a fight longer than 3 seconds, get out. You are going to get hurt!" Sifu Ambrose.

Not sure exactly what you're trying to say here... You were comparing an ac10 to a single ppc, and saying how a ppc needs a faster cooldown to be "balanced." You should not expect a weapon at half the weight to give the same performance, especially when its a weapon that most mechs can mount several of. Again, the tradeoff between an ac10 and a pair of ppcs is long term dps vs alpha. Alpha seems to fit your quote better.

View PostCycleboy, on 13 November 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

People still keep comparing cherries to apples (not oranges, because at least they are similar mass). Small mechs use energy weapons because the integral heat capacity of their engine is sufficient to buffer most of their heat from energy weapons with speed enough to break engagement and run away. Once you hit 50-55tons, with the ability to carry the weight of a ballistic, you get them if you can.

Again... if you could get a Stalker variant with a ballistic in each arm and each side torso, would you take that over the 6 energy slot Stalker???

Other than a dual ac20 build, what would you put on it? 4 ac2's is a pitiful alpha and forces you to stay in the open, facing your target to use the dps. 4ac5's or uac5's would actually be pretty nice, except you'd be slow, have to run an xl, or cut armor/ammo. Anything bigger than that is not practical at all.

People conveniently forget that ballistics are heavy, and that boating them forces you to make sacrifices in speed (smaller engine) or durability (going xl). The most successful mechs in the game currently run a mix of ballistics and energy, that give a decently high alpha but also the ability to do some more heat-efficient brawling.

#303 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostNebuchadnezzar2, on 12 November 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

I'm thinking of giving those energy fanatics their old alpha so they can stop crying
Let most people bring their energy alpha builds .... So that i can reign with my balistics ;)

On more serious note for me it is more balanced when energy boat is the alpha king and AC boat is the dps king

Without the current GH, you can take a 65t, Stock armor, 225XL, 6 AC2 JM6-DD Ballistic boat, and we then give the enemy a 65t, Stock armor, 225XL, 4 erPPC's Energy Boat and I doubt the AC2 Mech survives when the fight starts at 1100m. :o

P.S. Engines at or above the 225XL level start to cripple the ammo carrier badly... :)

Edited by Almond Brown, 13 November 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#304 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostFebrosian R Gillingham, on 13 November 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

It was easy to stay outside of return fire range with an erppc. Like YueFei said you could even dodge shots at long range. Also its a Cicada, with its relatively small profile, with ecm, that moved at ~125kph. You could easily pop up almost anywhere on the map, take a potshot, and duck down and reposition before anything could spot you. Being shot by bigger mechs was not a concern at all, and their alpha damage/range were almost irrelevant. Light mechs were the counter.

Not sure exactly what you're trying to say here... You were comparing an ac10 to a single ppc, and saying how a ppc needs a faster cooldown to be "balanced." You should not expect a weapon at half the weight to give the same performance, especially when its a weapon that most mechs can mount several of. Again, the tradeoff between an ac10 and a pair of ppcs is long term dps vs alpha. Alpha seems to fit your quote better.

Some times true. But an AC10 and a PPC have done he same damage for 30 years, MW:O mucked with a ormula that has worked just fine for 30 years. Now what ever it takes so that both individual weapons are doing equal (or near equal) damage is balancing them.

2 PPCs 40 damage in 10 seconds 40 heat (Sustainable?)
1 AC10 40 damage in 10 seconds 12 Heat (Sustainable!)I also get to fire some lasers and/or Missiles for better effect here. On TT 10 dubs let me double the damage over one AC10.

Sorry MW:O has this balance so jacked up it stupid!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 13 November 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#305 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think ACs only become viable the bigger/heavier your mech becomes. The most successful builds actually are mixed ACs+Energy or mixed Missiles+Energy builds.

I generally go the rule of thump to go as much energy as possible the smaller the mech, and add ACs/missiles the heavier the mech gets.

And from my experience I perform the best with Jenners by ignoring their missile hardpoints and just go for bigger Lasers and having a quite perfect mix in the highlanders with lasers and ACs/Gauss (I rarely do poptart stuff, so I normally do not go PPC). The Atlas can have a nice mix of ER-Larges + multiple ACs or AC/20 / Gauss and some SRM or even a smaller LRM rack.

But in the end the smallest mechs really suffer from this and the rule to have to have 10 heatsinks. Especially the missile locust is terribad. In case of the locust I would always go for an as big as possible energy weapon as possible and go from there ignoring the other hardpoint types - with reasonable ammo you could eventually get 2 streaks and a small laser on the missile locust or a few mgs and a medium laser on the ballistic version. In the end though, the only halfway valid version is the energy version of the locust.

The underwhelming performance of machineguns adds to all this, maybe half their weight could do something, or messing with their cone of fire helps, but in the end you are always better off with a small laser and a heatsink...

#306 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 13 November 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

In 12 mans I get roughly 1.3 kills per match, 3-7 Assists, an between 100-700 damage. Pretty much the same as I do in PUGs.
driving this or this.

hmmm how about this , this , this and this?

I know what might you be thinking...arms...cockpit?? :S....but don't worry i already did this kind of loadouts and funny thing is...people 90% of cases fire to your side and center torsos...no arms or legs. :D

P.D: Try them and pm me for the results. Just sold my atlas for personal preferences.

Edited by strikebrch, 13 November 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#307 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

View Poststrikebrch, on 13 November 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

I know what might you be thinking...arms...cockpit?? :S....but don't worry i already did this kind of loadouts and funny thing is...people 90% of cases fire to your side and center torsos...no arms or legs. :D

P.D: Try them and pm me for the results. Just sold my atlas for personal preferences.

Those are terrible builds! SRMs are a joke and not even slightly viable due to HSR atm, your engines are way too slow to keep up with your group or for decent torso twist speed, and PPCs in an Atlas are the next worst thing after boating LRMs in one.

#308 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostShredhead, on 13 November 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

Those are terrible builds! SRMs are a joke and not even slightly viable due to HSR atm, your engines are way too slow to keep up with your group or for decent torso twist speed, and PPCs in an Atlas are the next worst thing after boating LRMs in one.

Shredhead....those links where not for you i only asked Joseph Mallan. So why don't just get the **** off and spit bile somewhere else?. And please dont tell me that it wasn´t your intension to offend.

P.D: 2xPPCs is not "boating" so with that statement i can see your just another ranting noob trying to be the big man on a forum...wich is kind lame you know? ...thing is....if your not asked ..then don't stick you stupid mouth...plain...and ...simple.

Edited by strikebrch, 13 November 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#309 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Crazy talk really. Until all the weapons have one damage/heat and range profile, there will ALWAYS be min-max'ing going on.

No. Its called asymmetrical balance. And a lot of games implement the concept.

#310 Metalsand

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostRyche, on 06 November 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Is there a reason why MWO has devolved again to ridge humping and low skill kills with high damage pilots thinking they are great... Yes they are boating AC weapons like the AC 2 5 20 or ultra AC 5.

These weapons all fire faster than any other weapons require no time left facing the opponent for a quick snap shot and require little in the way of piloting skills as they mostly stand still from nearly 3 times the range listed on the weapon.

Ballistics need to be toned down in general. The fire times are way to low and the range drop off for damage is ludicrous. If they want the ranges to be what they are they need to list the ranges using the same rating as for energy weapons and have drop off in damage start past optimal range.

Missiles and Energy are not nearly as dangerous as Ballistics in MWO and this needs to be fixed. A mech that is energy based should be just as scary as a Jagger. Also in toning this down mechs would not as say heavies be even more scary than assaults in many cases.

Basically right now if you aren't bringing large caliber ballistics you are hurting you teams chance at winning. This is bad and they should be working on a fix for this.

Yeah, ballistic spam is ridiculously heat efficient, making up for the heavier weight with pure sustained damage. I just made an Ilya build today where I stripped off all of my lasers for x3 LBX-10's and 60 ammo, and I can go head to head with any mech save for a Jaeger DD and devour it without a problem. With a pure ballistics build for the Ilya, if I get less than 2 kills in a round, it's a bad round. The only way I can ever die without killing someone is if an LRM boat locks onto me, since a good LRM boat build can kill me before I can even get back behind cover, let alone cover high enough to protect me.

#311 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostMetalsand, on 13 November 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Yeah, ballistic spam is ridiculously heat efficient, making up for the heavier weight with pure sustained damage. I just made an Ilya build today where I stripped off all of my lasers for x3 LBX-10's and 60 ammo, and I can go head to head with any mech save for a Jaeger DD and devour it without a problem. With a pure ballistics build for the Ilya, if I get less than 2 kills in a round, it's a bad round. The only way I can ever die without killing someone is if an LRM boat locks onto me, since a good LRM boat build can kill me before I can even get back behind cover, let alone cover high enough to protect me.

I look forward to seeing you on the field :D

#312 Metalsand

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostSandpit, on 13 November 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

I look forward to seeing you on the field :P

Okay, maybe I lied, it's x3 LBX-10...AND A SMALL LASER!! FEAR ME!!!!!

...yeah, I don't know why i put it on either. :D

#313 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostMetalsand, on 13 November 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Okay, maybe I lied, it's x3 LBX-10...AND A SMALL LASER!! FEAR ME!!!!!

...yeah, I don't know why i put it on either. :D

See? Now I'm gonna run when I see you. You said nothing about an SL!!!!

#314 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Poststrikebrch, on 13 November 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

I know what might you be thinking...arms...cockpit?? :S....but don't worry i already did this kind of loadouts and funny thing is...people 90% of cases fire to your side and center torsos...no arms or legs. :ph34r:

I like all of them, and tried all but the 3rd one. I would pull the MG for anything else on the 4th, but that is a personal preference. :ph34r:

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 14 November 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#315 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

View Poststrikebrch, on 13 November 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Shredhead....those links where not for you i only asked Joseph Mallan. So why don't just get the **** off and spit bile somewhere else?. And please dont tell me that it wasn´t your intension to offend.

P.D: 2xPPCs is not "boating" so with that statement i can see your just another ranting noob trying to be the big man on a forum...wich is kind lame you know? ...thing is....if your not asked ..then don't stick you stupid mouth...plain...and ...simple.

If I wanted to offend you, I'd have called you names, jerk! And where did I say that 2 PPCs is boating? Learn to read! Mallans builds are equally bad and new players shouldn't copy them. That's the reason I said something about it. Maybe Mallan is able to squeeze good numbers out of them because he is good in that machine and able to compensate the flaws. Players searching the forums for builds for their first Atlas will have a bad experience with that setup and waste a good amount of CBills. Also, most of these builds wouldn't be half as bad if HSR worked for SRMs.

#316 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostShredhead, on 14 November 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

If I wanted to offend you, I'd have called you names, jerk! And where did I say that 2 PPCs is boating? Learn to read! Mallans builds are equally bad and new players shouldn't copy them. That's the reason I said something about it. Maybe Mallan is able to squeeze good numbers out of them because he is good in that machine and able to compensate the flaws. Players searching the forums for builds for their first Atlas will have a bad experience with that setup and waste a good amount of CBills. Also, most of these builds wouldn't be half as bad if HSR worked for SRMs.
:ph34r: ;) :P :ph34r:
Thank you for that! I really love to laugh at something at least once a day. You gave me a good one today.

#317 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 November 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

:ph34r: ;) :P :ph34r:
Thank you for that! I really love to laugh at something at least once a day. You gave me a good one today.

Am I that ambiguous? Should I give up? A build you can do well in (or I do well in) can be really bad for new players. That's what I was trying to say. I even tried to explain why. At least I made you laugh. :huh:

#318 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostShredhead, on 14 November 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Am I that ambiguous? Should I give up? A build you can do well in (or I do well in) can be really bad for new players. That's what I was trying to say. I even tried to explain why. At least I made you laugh. :wacko:
I am an Average player at best, I do well enough to enjoy using my Builds. I have sent many a TT player to get a replacement Mech cause my builds ruin their notions. Back in the first Tourney I brought my old D-DC (Gauss, ERPPC, 3 SRM6, ECM XL350) I missed all of Friday, Most of Saturday cause of work. when the event ended out of 3,500 assault players, I place 98th. In Matches that had no Elo established.

And for the record, a "Competetive" Build could be just as bad. I don't like many of the "Competitive" builds (Jager40 excluded). A winning competetive build is what works best for you. If my W/L is awesome in a Locust yet the supposed competitive players say "its bad, an you should feel bad for driving it." I look at my record, and say, "Go sit down."

So yeah Your opinion of my builds make me laugh my ash off. :wub:

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 14 November 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#319 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 November 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

I am an Average player at best, I do well enough to enjoy using my Builds. I have sent many a TT player to get a replacement Mech cause my builds ruin their notions. Back in the first Tourney I brought my old D-DC (Gauss, ERPPC, 3 SRM6, ECM XL350) I missed all of Friday, Most of Saturday cause of work. when the event ended out of 3,500 assault players, I place 98th. In Matches that had no Elo established.

And for the record, a "Competetive" Build could be just as bad. I don't like many of the "Competitive" builds (Jager40 excluded). A winning competetive build is what works best for you. If my W/L is awesome in a Locust yet the supposed competitive players say "its bad, an you should feel bad for driving it." I look at my record, and say, "Go sit down."

So yeah Your opinion of my builds make me laugh my ash off. :wub:

See, I'm not really talking competitive builds, but builds that really need you to compensate for flaws they have due to game mechanics. Something like PPCs in Atlas arms. Why is it no good for the average Joe? The Atlas arms hang low, so you have to expose yourself in a slow mech that can't really get to safety fast enough if there's too much opposition. That needs a lot of planning ahead, aka experience, which you obviously have if you do well in it. SRMs have gigantic problems with damage registration, except maybe for people with pings lower than 60(?). And I would always recommend a 325+ Standard engine for any Atlas for speed and torso twist speed.

#320 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostShredhead, on 14 November 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

facepalm...shred...you don't get it right?...i felt offended...while joseph laugh his *** off .....the point is.
It depends on each player to build something , if a newcomer come to this post and see our builds and decide to try them its not your problem because there is always the posibily that it might do well as it might go bad....or has you said....terrible.

You could have said something like ...."isn't that engine quite slow?" or ..." i don't think ppcs on atlas are a good idea" but instead of that you went the wrong way "THOSE BUILDS A TERRIBLE".....i ask you now....did you expected another kind of answers from our part?

P.D: My bad , i went the wrong way too. :wub:

Edited by strikebrch, 14 November 2013 - 04:37 PM.

46 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users