This Is Why Mwo Will Never Be An E-Sport

269 replies to this topic

#161 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostKhobai, on 07 November 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Heavy Metal has its autocannons and ppcs entirely in its arms.

which I noted in my post. quote the whole thing or don't quote at all

#162 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostBounty Dogg, on 07 November 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

I still can't find an answer to this question concerning weight restrictions in the PUG Matchmaker. Maybe here.....

Who gets to choose who pilots what?

If 24 people are online with assault mechs looking to team, who gets the priority if some of them are going on one team? Who gets to pilot the mech they felt like playing at that moment, and who doesn't? What are those who don't told? Are they put back into the queue? To Wait LONGER for a match? Are they outright refused?

I admit I don't understand how this is not going to negatively impact the playerbase. they either can't play the mechs they feel like playing, or they have to wait even longer for a match than the wait can be now. That seems to be the only two valid outcomes here.

if they pair tonnage limits with the dropship idea (bring 4 mechs) then they could say your dropship can hold 250 tons (for example). This would give you the opportunity to bring your Atlas if you want to but then you have to bring 3 much lighter mechs for the other 150 tons (or another Atlas and 2 Commandos for example).

this way everybody can play what they want at least in 1 out of 4 respawns. Seems fair to me.

Edited by TexAss, 07 November 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#163 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostFate 6, on 07 November 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Medium. Motha ******. Lasers. YEEEEEAH.

RIP HBK-4P

Seriously though, close range energy weapons need HUGE buffs. Small lasers, SPL, MPL, ML. Those are the weapons that we won't see abused by large mechs - only a few have enough energy points for us to care, and of those only the Stalker is at all scary (nobody cares if the TDR and AWS get buffs, they have terrible models as brawlers). The energy boat mediums and heavies want their sails back.

I would not be against medium laser buffs. Although I am quite possibly rather biased on this matter so shall not comment. ;)

SRMs need to work. If SRMs worked properly then this game would be more balanced. Currently you are usually better off taking SSRM2 then SRM6 which is just plain dumb...and as an added bonus you have immunity to light mechs because you do not even have to aim against them.

#164 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostHellcat420, on 07 November 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

wrong. highlanders have roughly half of their weapons in the arms and half of their weapons in the torso on each side of the mech. the highlander hero mech is the only exception to this. in fact other than the hero mech, 2 highlander variants have more weapons in the torso than the arms, and the other two have even weapon placement between the arms and torso(2 in each).

there I even put it in bold for you.

Edited by Hellcat420, 07 November 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#165 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 07 November 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

Soo, what's the big deal if this is marked as an E-Sport or not, really, if it's that big a deal wouldn't the creators of E-Sports be pumping money into PGI and be telling them how to make a clone of some other E-sport game, just with Battlemechs?

If it's something someone wants to claim they are the best at you should be asking for arenas along with CW so you could have the ladder leagues and scoreboards that everyone could see.

Have asked for this so much. PLEASE GIVE RANKED 1v1s and 4v4s!!!! Will make me so happy.

#166 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostFupDup, on 06 November 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Steiner Scout Company FTW.

"Steiner Scout Lances Power Up Detected," - Betty

#167 Bounty Dogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostTexAss, on 07 November 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

if they pair tonnage limits with the dropship idea (bring 4 mechs) then they could say your dropship can hold 250 tons (for example). This would give you the opportunity to bring your Atlas if you want to but then you have to bring 3 much lighter mechs for the other 150 tons (or another Atlas and 2 Commandos for example).

this way everybody can play what they want at least in 1 out of 4 respawns. Seems fair to me.

That seemingly only makes it a lottery now. You choose the 4 mechs you may feel like piloting, and hope you get to drop in your favorite? Also, even on one team, in that situation who gets the priority? Who gets to bring 'the heavy', and who has to take their other guys? I know we don't know the mechanic, but it feels like putting even more rules on an already taxed matchmaker (which, IMO, works really well) is only gonna slow the whole thing down more. Remember, adding the loosening on MM variables resulted in us possibly have to wait 3 min instead of 2 to find a game......now add in the fact that you have to choose 4 mechs (you may not choose which you start in), and THEN you get onto a team......seems like too much.

#168 Bacon Wan Kenobi

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Im pretty sure the drop weight restriction was only for 12 mans, not random pugging.

#169 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostBounty Dogg, on 07 November 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

That seemingly only makes it a lottery now. You choose the 4 mechs you may feel like piloting, and hope you get to drop in your favorite? Also, even on one team, in that situation who gets the priority? Who gets to bring 'the heavy', and who has to take their other guys? I know we don't know the mechanic, but it feels like putting even more rules on an already taxed matchmaker (which, IMO, works really well) is only gonna slow the whole thing down more. Remember, adding the loosening on MM variables resulted in us possibly have to wait 3 min instead of 2 to find a game......now add in the fact that you have to choose 4 mechs (you may not choose which you start in), and THEN you get onto a team......seems like too much.

dude no, thats not how dropship works, you bring 4 and you play with all 4, after you die in the first, you respawn into the next. That's what's planned and what will come. My idea is just to pair it with tonnage limits, so you cant bring 4 Atlas.

#170 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostBounty Dogg, on 07 November 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

I still can't find an answer to this question concerning weight restrictions in the PUG Matchmaker. Maybe here.....

Who gets to choose who pilots what?

If 24 people are online with assault mechs looking to team, who gets the priority if some of them are going on one team? Who gets to pilot the mech they felt like playing at that moment, and who doesn't? What are those who don't told? Are they put back into the queue? To Wait LONGER for a match? Are they outright refused?

I admit I don't understand how this is not going to negatively impact the playerbase. they either can't play the mechs they feel like playing, or they have to wait even longer for a match than the wait can be now. That seems to be the only two valid outcomes here.

The way PGI has proposed to accomplish this is to limit the tonnage of any group to the same average allowed for a full twelve man group. So if they cap total tonnage at 840 (just an arbitrary number), then a 4 man would be capped at 280, and a two man group at 140 tons. Solos that drop in mechs much heavier or lighter than the average tonnage may have issues finding a match depending on the size of the player base. Those that drop in groups should not have much of a problem.

The reason for the necessity of this kind of thing is obviously the fact that PGI has stated a desire to create a game that feels like Battletech while still making role warfare important. These are unfortunately, to an extent, conflicting ideas. Battletech balances conflicts using battle value. This is essentially an acknowledgement that not all mechs are equally powerful, so since we cannot balance mechs, we will balance drops to keep them even. Trying to go back and make light and medium mechs equally viable is reinventing the wheel to an extent, as the game they are trying to emulate does not balance weight classes.

#171 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

I refuse to be scared unless I see 12 Locusts on one team. ;)

#172 Howdy Doody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostMerchant, on 07 November 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

I refuse to be scared unless I see 12 Locusts on one team. ;)

Agreed. I'm sure there would be more FF damage trying to hit the gnats then actual damage to Locust.

#173 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 06 November 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

If sm3gma, queef and peef can be words than so can Atlai.

False cause; "Atlai" isn't a non-word because it's odd - it's a non-word because it's wrong. The plural is "Atlases."

#174 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

The OPs image proves . . .

Posted Image

#175 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 07 November 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

"Steiner Scout Lances Power Up Detected," - Betty

As a Lyran can I get Betty Helga Accent???

#176 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

So was the OP's image of a PUG or a pre made ONLY game?

#177 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 November 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

So less competitive than I am. Oh an our last examples are a joke. Being competitive means I would take on Michael Jordan in basketball and give it everything I have, fight Mike Tyson, or attempt to climb Mount Everest! If you never fight/play above your ability you are not competitive.

Posted Image

#178 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostKharnZor, on 07 November 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Posted Image
gamsahabnida
Posted Image

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 07 November 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#179 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Bringing three Atlases that aren't D-DCs? What a bold and innovative new strategy!

#180 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostTexAss, on 07 November 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

dude no, thats not how dropship works, you bring 4 and you play with all 4, after you die in the first, you respawn into the next. That's what's planned and what will come. My idea is just to pair it with tonnage limits, so you cant bring 4 Atlas.

No, that was just their position at that time.

Now it's a choice of 4 mechs that you get to choose from once you know the map and team-mates you'll be dropping with.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users