33 replies to this topic

#21 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostMercer Skye, on 15 November 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

You need to drop the engine down to about 180 and pack another LB 10x in. 'Hobo with a Shotgun.' Thing is hilarious. Can't count how many times I've been face hugged in one by people who think a 53kph S.Hawk is just something to walk over, just to eat up their CT.

Does run a little short on ammo, though :( dueling things with a small laser (OH, and still going for all five JJs) can be tedious.

*Seriously some people just need to loosen up those cooling vests some and step away from the Max Dps spreadsheets and have some fun in their 'mechs.

Oh my. Thank you for my giggles tomorrow.

#22 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostMercer Skye, on 15 November 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

*Seriously some people just need to loosen up those cooling vests some and step away from the Max Dps spreadsheets and have some fun in their 'mechs.

Quoted for Truth.

View PostRickySpanish, on 15 November 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

The problem with machine guns is that while they may do extra damage to internals, you need to get through armour first.

.... That would be what the other weapons are for, no?

#23 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostLunatech, on 14 November 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

I bet you'll say that my 5M is terrible.

Absolutely, unequivocally, and completely terrible:

[X] Ammo in the Legs
[X] XL Brawling Build
[X] Mismatched Frankenweapons
[X] Two of the worst ballistics in the game
[X] Full armor on an unused arm
[X] Completely unnecessary extra heatsink
[X] Hilariously overammo'ed solo AC/2
[X] Horrendously weak alpha strike

That thing stinks. Entirely. It is a grade A trainwreck of a 'mech. An Abomination Hawk.

On the upside, you'll probably be put of your misery very quickly as you stay exposed to keep capping off a single AC/2.

PS: You can also run AC/20 Shadow Hawks, SSRM Shadow Hawks, SRM Shadow Hawks or even LRM Shadow Hawks and all of them will do better than that.

Edited by Victor Morson, 15 November 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#24 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostDemogarose, on 14 November 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Yup. Streaks and LL to rip armor off, MGs to tear though the internals, and the speed to follow close enough to use them.

View PostRickySpanish, on 14 November 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Machine guns are never a valid weapon to use. Ever. If you want to troll, do it with some style and bring a medium with loads of energy hard points and flamers. Don't use machine guns though, they're so sad they're not even funny.

MGs are nice suplimental weapons in small quantities that tear though internals. They aren't as good for main weapons unless you're carrying more than 2, and even then you need something with punch to help get the armor off in the first place.

They aren't awesome, but they're not the worst weapon in the game.

#25 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 14 November 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Machine guns are never a valid weapon to use. Ever. If you want to troll, do it with some style and bring a medium with loads of energy hard points and flamers. Don't use machine guns though, they're so sad they're not even funny.

My 2.0 KDR with my Locust-1V(P) says otherwise.

#26 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 17 November 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

My 2.0 KDR with my Locust-1V(P) says otherwise.

LOL, how in the hell did you manage that? I finally mastered my 1V(P), and it was sheer frustration. I am afraid to check the K/D ratio on that POS. Oh well, at least now it's done.

#27 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostNRP, on 17 November 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

LOL, how in the hell did you manage that? I finally mastered my 1V(P), and it was sheer frustration. I am afraid to check the K/D ratio on that POS. Oh well, at least now it's done.

The 1V was my favorite and most effective locust too, with the required MGs. Though my K/D ratio is a pedestrian .5 in it (though that's up from a .1 for my first 10 runs in it).

#28 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

I don't like to rip on people's builds. I've been playing since the game went public in one way or another, but I've only recently started reading the forums and started noticing certain things. This is a honest question.

Why do people make crappy builds and call them troll builds? A troll build should be something that generates attention and possibly hate in the enemy either due to it being annoying, funny, ludicrously overpowered or utilizing tactics and weapons in combinations that are unexpected, useless or just hilarious. What you have here is a weak build that most people won't even notice. After shooting and taking it out they won't think twice about it.

I know I sound like a smartass, and I don't want to ruin anyone's fun, this is after all a game, a medium for enjoyment, but I keep seeing builds that are simply underpowered and are called troll builds on that basis alone. It seems to me that these people are actually trolling themselves more then anyone else, believing the builds are hilarious while their opponents don't even notice, or maybe they ask themselves why that mech seemed to offer little resistance and go down so quickly.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 17 November 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#29 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostNRP, on 17 November 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

As Bront said, MG's. The beginning was frustration, once you get the basics done, it's better. Once you get the elites done it's a lot better...not the Elite skills themselves, but the 2x basics. Once you've got the speed and agility it helps a lot. After that it's tactics. Hang back, scout, find the enemy and report them. When the enemy is engaged find the ones that have armour stripped off and destroy the components. Some days you'll just get annihilated before you can even get in to the fight. It'll happen. Alot. Other times you'll wind up with 400+ damage done and 2-4 kills. Most times it'll be somewhere in between 100-200 damage done and a kill or two.

I did this more with the LCT-3S, but UAVs and Air Strikes or Arillery Strikes are rather helpful for light mechs. If you're fast enough and get in to position quickly enough you can do a lot of damage or a lot of XP with the consumables. I remember one match I managed 223 damage without even managing a shot. Just one Artillery Strike over a group of mechs (and then getting jumped) so I know there was no other damage done.

#30 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 17 November 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

I don't like to rip on people's builds. I've been playing since the game went public in one way or another, but I've only recently started reading the forums and started noticing certain things. This is a honest question.

Why do people make crappy builds and call them troll builds? A troll build should be something that generates attention and possibly hate in the enemy either due to it being annoying, funny, ludicrously overpowered or utilizing tactics and weapons in combinations that are unexpected, useless or just hilarious. What you have here is a weak build that most people won't even notice. After shooting and taking it out they won't think twice about it.

I know I sound like a smartass, and I don't want to ruin anyone's fun, this is after all a game, a medium for enjoyment, but I keep seeing builds that are simply underpowered and are called troll builds on that basis alone. It seems to me that these people are actually trolling themselves more then anyone else, believing the builds are hilarious while their opponents don't even notice, or maybe they ask themselves why that mech seemed to offer little resistance and go down so quickly.

And I'll never for the life of me understand why anyone thinks that trying to sound civil while knowing they're speaking as a pompous *** try to butter it up. Or that they believe their opinion is in any way a measuring stick for what is or isn't inside the realm of ambiguity.

'Troll'ing is only really defined as doing something or anything for the sake of the lulz. To either cause you, your friends, the masses, or that odd and far between similar soul to bust out laughing, flare in rage, break down in tears, or 'enlighten the masses with previously mentioned pompous assery.'

The 'Troll'hawk build I first posted was mainly to generate rage after someone hilarious made the quote 'AC20s, PPCs, or Gee Tee Eff Oh'. Which I would have shrugged off, but they continued to show their intelligence expounding on how the game is only worth playing if you pack the big guns.

So I aimed to build something with one of my favorite chassis that actually managed to tear it up, and got more than one odd comment along the lines of 'How in the {insert a wide array of explicatives} did you get me with MLas's and MGun's...?' and not only that, the tasty salty rage of teammates spectating afterwards, spewing the same 'THAT BUILD IS TERRIBAD' drivel that some espew as gospel.

Yes, the weapons weren't the biggest, the engine was. The armor wasn't shiny, but it was darn near maxed out. And likely, I'd have been more than willing to hop on your rig's shoulder and pee in the vent hole with a medium laser or two as well, just to hear the 'FUUUUUUU' coming out of the cockpit.

*Heavy Sigh* *Table Flip* *Door Slam*

((*ninja sneak and grab soap box*))

Edited by Mercer Skye, 21 November 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#31 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Your supposed troll build is easily trolled by this build

ERPPC (trolling from afar)
3x SSRM2 (trolling from close)
3xMG (trolling from closer)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...61f8e316a6c57c4

#32 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 13 November 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

AC10+2xLlasers is my favorite build with this one so far.

Yep.

#33 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostMercer Skye, on 15 November 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

As far as being trollish, those MGuns chew up internals like candy. Usually netting a kill for fairly little effort, and not heat deficit.

Aye, I see "mgs are awful" all day long. But, I have a 4G that uses 3 of them....and ALL of it's kills have been with those 3 MGs. The second they turn onto an unarmoured section of a mech it's like a chainsaw.....
They seem to work better than people say they should?

#34 Waterhead

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostAutobot9000, on 21 November 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

Your supposed troll build is easily trolled by this build

ERPPC (trolling from afar)
3x SSRM2 (trolling from close)
3xMG (trolling from closer)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...61f8e316a6c57c4

OMG I'm about to buy my 1st mech, a Shadowhawk and I really, really think I need this in my life!

Hello Spider!

Edited by Waterhead, 13 December 2013 - 05:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users