Imp, Why Or Why Not?

24 replies to this topic

#1 AiJuan

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

People hate the Imp because of design(personally I think it has a great design), but people forget that his stats are better than other mechs of it's size. Even if it is not the best it's specs should be given a chance even if it's design isn't given one. :)

#2 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'm on a fence here - Imp design is so incredibly terribad that I'm actually curious if Alex is able to make it plausible (not good, because it's nearly impossible. Just plausible)

Posted Image

Edited by ssm, 09 November 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#3 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

I think that it could look real cool. Just look at the 'teeth' inbetween the eyes. That could look real fancy.

#4 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

Well I like the wolf's dragoons so I had to buy one, the model is better than the art, it's odd looking sure but it's got the dakka to make up for the looks.

#5 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

The Imp is what a fully grown Urbanmech looks like. :D

#6 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

i still prefer the little trashcan of doom.

#7 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

My mate is planning on getting a full lance of rubies for his FRR force.

#8 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

Well the Art from 3050U is a bit better than the original art posted here (both are 3E)
Posted Image

The 1A from Operation Klondike is not bad as well, this being the original one.
Posted Image

#9 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

Always been puzzled by what the developers where snorting when they made this one. It looks top heavy.

#10 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

I always hated the look of the Imp. It was a Dragoon mech so it was better than most IS mechs. It is one of my least favorite looking mechs, so personally I hope they make it one of the last mechs they create. But of course visuals are just personal taste, some people like ugly things, its cool :D

#11 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Well one thing is certain. The design team will have a mammoth job to do, to make this thing look good. But up to now they made a very nice job - so I'm really excited how the imp might look after a MWO facelift.

I mean up to now it just looks like a giant device originally developed to cure hysteria of women mixed with Dark Helmet from Spaceballs to me.

But again even the Annihilator in MW3 looked cool after the facelift - if done right the Imp may get an intimidating cool look. And thinking of the problems the Awesome is facing due to its wide size it even is necesarry to get rid of the Imps "Dark Helmet look" for balancing reasons.

#12 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 09 December 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Why not, Easily spotted, Easy target (slow), easy to take off the arms where the big weapons are, and it looks ugly.

The arms hold an LRM rack that has a very small amount of ammo (very similar to the Zeus) and a medium laser. It has 4 additional MLs and 2 PPCs all torso mounted.

#13 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostRyoken, on 10 December 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Well one thing is certain. The design team will have a mammoth job to do, to make this thing look good. But up to now they made a very nice job - so I'm really excited how the imp might look after a MWO facelift.

I mean up to now it just looks like a giant device originally developed to cure hysteria of women mixed with Dark Helmet from Spaceballs to me.

But again even the Annihilator in MW3 looked cool after the facelift - if done right the Imp may get an intimidating cool look. And thinking of the problems the Awesome is facing due to its wide size it even is necesarry to get rid of the Imps "Dark Helmet look" for balancing reasons.

I actually tried to imagine (using currently designed mechs) how Alex could re-do the Imp, and the image I came up in my mind was actually pretty cool.

Edited by ssm, 13 December 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#14 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 16 December 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

okay it is a heat boat then. Just waiting to shut down after one alpha!

The heat sink set up on it was such that with proper bracket firing (that is, not fire your short and long range guns all at once) it would run fairly cool. As far as table top was concerned the 2E Imp was a very good design. The 3E, not so much, as it went with an XL engine and single heat sinks. The 4E was a return to good cooling if you knew how to manage your bracket fire. The original model 1A that debuted with Clans and used Star League era tech was also cool running with proper bracket fire.

But, yeah, this wasn't a mech you wanted to alpha with more than once, but the number of canon assault mechs that were heat neutral, or at least close enough to make repeated alphas, is horribly small. The ones worth using an even smaller number (the 1A1 Charger? the 3E Banshee? HA!).

#15 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostEscef, on 16 December 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

(...)

But, yeah, this wasn't a mech you wanted to alpha with more than once, but the number of canon assault mechs that were heat neutral, or at least close enough to make repeated alphas, is horribly small. The ones worth using an even smaller number (the 1A1 Charger? the 3E Banshee? HA!).

Awesome 8Q?

#16 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postssm, on 16 December 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

Awesome 8Q?

Is absolutely one of the most solid, reliable designs of its era. Not an inspired design, but it doesn't need to be.

#17 Team Imp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:19 PM

Reviving dead thread just to say "Yes PLease" :P

#18 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

They should, just so there would be a huge mech with worse hit boxes than the atlas and Awesome

#19 Max Payne1

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAlberta+Canada

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

I personally would love to see this mech come to fruition in the game. It is such a oddball in the battletech universe! All i see is a floating head on mechanical legs ahah.

The CCG card had some fun art of this mech...
Posted Image

BTW completely off topic, but anybody else really want to see the Grand Titan or the Hatamoto-Chi?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers

#20 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

i know the lower one is a hamottochi whats the top one ????

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users