Writeca: About Mw:o

32 replies to this topic

#21 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:44 AM

View PostHeffay, on 09 November 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

So you're saying a premium account is mandatory?

actually to nullify the horrid grind a 2X premium is required and what I am wondering is why it isnt made available for sale?

I mean look at all they money they can bank selling 2X premium subs. It is the only way to make this game viable.

#22 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

The grammar {Godwin's Law} in me just committed seppuku after reading that article.

#23 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostSandpit, on 09 November 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

You really don't read posts do you?

Reading consumes valuable time which could be better used for white knighting.

#24 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hello.
I'm the author of the article.

As someone already pointed out this was not a review.
Writeca is quite new, and it gave me the chance to write some articles here and there about videogames, even if english is not my native tongue.
It's just a point of view, and i'm sorry my english is so bad (it seems grammar needs improvements more than everything else!). :D

Sadly, articles have rules, and i cannot write or explain everything in detail.

MWO score? I would say 70 if you are a BT fan, 50 if you are not.
But i prefer journalists to give scores, and i'm not.

P.S. I never ask an account to PGI to try the game, and i did not tell them i was about to write about MWO.
Like any other article i wrote till now, i play the game and spend my money as anyone else.
No gift from the PGI, no press account.

Edited by Attank, 21 November 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#25 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostAttank, on 21 November 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

Hello.
I'm the author of the article.

As someone already pointed out this was not a review.
Writeca is quite new, and it gave me the chance to write some articles here and there about videogames, even if english is not my native tongue.
It's just a point of view, and i'm sorry my english is so bad (it seems grammar needs improvements more than everything else!). :D

Quite frankly, your English is significantly better than most of the native english speakers on this forum, so you're doing fine.

#26 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostRoland, on 21 November 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Quite frankly, your English is significantly better than most of the native english speakers on this forum, so you're doing fine.

Thnx a lot! I just want to aknowledge Rhaythe that i care about negative comments too...

View PostRhaythe, on 19 November 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

The grammar {Godwin's Law} in me just committed seppuku after reading that article.

:D

#27 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 19 November 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

Just an FYI, My Grammar is exactly the way I like it... so if it offends... I truly don't care. B) :D :D

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 21 November 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#28 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Good heavens - Me agreeing with Roland...... the world is ending people! :D

Interesting note for those who do not know: it shows where people you are 'ignoring' have posted, and gives the option to look at it anyways. However, it will show what they posted... when people quote them.

#29 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 21 November 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Good heavens - Me agreeing with Roland...... the world is ending people! ;)

Interesting note for those who do not know: it shows where people you are 'ignoring' have posted, and gives the option to look at it anyways. However, it will show what they posted... when people quote them.

Quoting this so that everyone knows this.

#30 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 22 November 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Quoting this so that everyone knows this.

Which part, the world ending or the data about when you ignore people?

#31 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

All in all I liked the article. It highlighted what I think we can all agree are the good things that PGI has accomplished, and discussed many of the things I think we all agree up till now have been at least a little disappointing about the game (levels of dissatisfaction may vary, depending on who you ask).

But I'm going to agree with Heffay on the whole "A premium subscription is mandatory if you don’t want to get drawn in a series of infinite boring battles just to raise some cash." quote. That's not taken out of context. That's what it says, and it's just not true. Mandatory is not a word with a lot of nuance. It means... mandatory.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have a lot wrong with it, but PGI has been pretty cool about keeping it from devolving into a "pay to win/enjoy" game. It's probably the best thing they've done, and is one of the big reasons I can't get on board with the "These guys don't care about the community at all" cry-wagon. To tell potential new players they are going to be playing "a series of infinite boring battles" unless they pay real money is pretty mean. Either they're going to think the game is not f2p and won't bother with it, or they're going to pay money and realize that right now MWO is "a series of infinite boring battles," whether you pay or not. Either way, it's a mis-characterisation.

TL;DR: To tell an audience that without premium time your game experience will be "infinite boring" isn't fair. If the author wanted to say, "I think the game is nothing but a series of infinite boring battles." That would be fine (a little over the top, IMO, but whatever). That's not what he's saying. He's saying the a game is nothing but a series of infinite boring battles unless you pay real money, which undermines the game's best selling point: It doesn't cost a dime to enjoy the MWO experience (although we all disagree on how worthwhile that experience is, I think we can all agree on that at least.)

PS: The article should read "infinitely boring." One of several glaring grammatical errors in this article. Everyone makes mistakes; not everyone is publishing their words for a living. Brush up on your English or (if it's not your native language) hire a better translator.

Edited by Tycho von Gagern, 09 December 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#32 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

English is not my native language, so i will not recommend my articles to young guys willing to learn english...besides, i'm glad many readers got the meaning despite that.

Point about the "boring grind": i wish i had more lines to expain, that's the short version:

Let's take War Thunder: looking at numbers, grind is equal if not harder compared to MWO.
But you can do many things to reach your goal: engage dogfights, sink ships, bomb tanks, try arcade mode or historical, make some single player mission, enjoy some co-op with friends and so on.

In MWO i don't have many options, as well as not enough maps to keep playing only 2 game modes (i must admit that CTF mode is not so inspiring for me).

That's all: it's not simply "how much" you have to grind, is the options to do so in different ways that could make the difference.

Edited by Attank, 10 December 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#33 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostHeffay, on 10 November 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

[/size]

His point about premium time was completely off base. The game isn't engulfed with hero mechs. It isn't an infinitely long grind without premium time. You yourself and Sandpit have argued against those points in the past. Why do you choose to argue otherwise today?

Win, lose or kills/assists isn't the only factor that determines how much money you make. TAG, spotting, NARC (lol), savior, defender, cap assists, component destruction... those all factor (sometimes heavily) into the money you make. Do you use a consumable or not? There are ways to maximize your revenue without the "mandatory" requirement of premium time.

And heat concerns is also something to consider when building a mech. It is not controlled solely by weight.

Some of the comments in that article are inaccurate. That is what I'm commenting about. It's not a bad article, I just found those parts funny.

I'm on of those that play without hero mechs and premium time and as said in article it is mandatory if you want to enjoy game without frustrating grind, and i confirm that c-bills you make is dictated by win loss yeah i can cut my loss a little by having assists and what not but its just not enough to make a difference. I get little heart attack every time they release hero mech I mean why is that content not available to everyone yeah we can argue that at this moment its not game braking enough but if we continue to get hero mechs at this rate it will become big problem in future just imagine how many mechs are going to be locked away from players and only ones to get them are ones with deep pocket I see a pattern right there. Now lets tackle another problem new player experience I mean we can get all the best tutorials in world and what not but new players can't progress enough in this game and mech bays/mastering is cause of that and until that is fixed we won't see lots of players in this game.

Anyway review was spot on mwo has long way to go.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users