12 replies to this topic

#1 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hello guy's. I am finally able to purchase one of the Variant of the "Awesome".

Yet, I have trouble choosing the "good one" for the start, and I need some advice.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

I'd recommend not buying the Awesome at all unless you enjoy being in a mech that is gimped (for the challenge or just for shiggles and gits).

That PSA aside, you should start with the one with the most energy hardpoints (8Q), then move on to the one that can have the biggest engine (9M), then finish off with a missile boat variant (8R).

Also: always use STD engine, unless you are in the 9M and loaded out for speed with a 375+ XL.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 22 September 2014 - 07:06 AM.

#3 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

AWS-9M will teach you how to shield your self, lead fire, and blend in the crowd so that no one focuses on you :ph34r:
AWS-8V not a bad lrm baot, tag position suit yourself, torso or head, and ppc if ammo is running low B)
AWS-8R ;)

i think take the lrm platform if you want to learn slowly and get the feel, PPC platform for a bit of challenge.
in any awesome, remember, that your torso is quite easy to get shot....

#4 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 22 September 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

Hello guy's. I am finally able to purchase one of the Variant of the "Awesome".

Yet, I have trouble choosing the "good one" for the start, and I need some advice.

Awesomes are very fun because of their affinity for energy weapons. Here are the ones I use with minimal issues with heat management (all are elite):

AWS-8Q ER PPCx2 MLx5
AWS-9M ER LLx4

I have a pretty baby but that doesn't count for purchasing awesomes with C-bills but here's the build - PRETTY BABY.

These builds can run fine in Tera Therma, seriously.

#5 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

If you like pulse lasers, speed, and good heat efficiency then this build might tickle your fancy. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0414a33e7393477
You can swap out the XL for a Std and still have it run with decent heat eff.
Play it like you would an AC/40 Jaeger.

#6 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

I took an Awesome 8T.
2 PP, 2 LRM 15, and 3 Medium Laser.
1440 missile on board.
He is quite hot. And I have problem using it. But since he is stock.

#7 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

I am thinking of I should get an awesome, or skip it and get a war hawk instead. (Seeing both will have very similar builds my the warhawk has a targeting computer and more support weapons for 4 x LRM 15)

Should I go the way of the clan instead of getting the most awesomest mech in bt history?

#8 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

9M is the best. Run big engine, go fast.

Pretty Baby 2nd best, run big engine, go fast.

8T is the weakest in my opinion.

All 8-series Awesomes should be running 300 STD engines. ANything else is folly.

#9 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

None of the Awesomes are easy to play. The 8V, 8T and 8R are very similar so maybe get one of them (8T as you did). 8Q is an energy boat, 9M is the "fast Awesome". So for maximum variety, I'd go with this approach.

#10 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

Quirks will eventually let you know which variant preforms best in a given role. The 8Q for example is slated for PPC bonuses.

#11 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

8T was the worst for me, not enough missiles to really put the pain down, but if you skip them it is sorta meh. I ended up with quad LL I think, and slugged through it to master.

8V was really fun, triple lrm15, and laser backups.
8R is LURMPOCKOLYPS, nothing says LRM splat like the 8R. See that Atlas at 300M? Tag, he is it. SPLAT.
8Q, triple PPC is good on this thing, sounds like better after quirk pass.
9M, fast. Run 375XL on it, lasers to taste, maybe some SRM for backup brawls.
Pretty Baby, not sure why they leave the decel quirk on it? Otherwise, play it like 9M, fast. I ran LRm in the points, then shorter range lasers. Performed well enough, but not worth the money unless you really like Awesomes.

#12 Praslek2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:10 PM

I have to second the PSA.. As much as I love the way the Awesome looks, right now taking one of these puts you at a serious disadvantage. Maybe they will change the quirks to compensate, but we'll see. Or they could just shrink the whole mech? No, that would be too easy.

This build sort of works when you play it as if you're a heavy mech that has paper armour:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...26b15378e9881a9

In order to make it playable, you'll want to use the level 5 range increase for Large Lasers, and Radar Deprivation.
The arm hardpoints are low, which means that if you want to cover an area you will basically have to expose your entire mech. You can alphastrike once or twice, but try not to unless you're facing a poptart. Also, cover is your new Significant Other, and you'll want to "snuggle" as closely and affectionately as possible. I suppose that goes for all Awesomes, though.

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my experience, to achieve the same damage or score in an Awesome as in another mech requires you to play with significantly greater skill. Maybe this makes it a good practice mech for people who want to pilot better mechs when they play their "real" games.

#13 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:11 AM

I don't like lurms and my gamestyle is pretty aggressive, so take this comment with some salt.

8Q: Pretty similar to 9M, but unlike the 9M it has two hardpoints on its arm and has 8 E hardpoints in general. My go-to variant at the moment with pretty effective energy builds.
9M: 8Q with the ability to mount huge engines. XL's on Awesomes are a terrible idea right now so this is not a huge plus anymore. Still, it has 3 hardpoints in its CT and head combined so it zombies better than the 8Q at least. It has only one arm E hardpoint and the missile hardpoints have only two tubes, somewhat making them useless.
8T: It has 2E hardpoints on its both arms. This seems like a good idea until you realize the arms are so much wide apart that you rarely can use both arms on the same target at the same time.
8V: My favourite one at the moment. 2xE left in left torso and 3xM in the right torso makes this a heavy hitter with builds like 3xASRM6 and 2xLL. It can brawl, it can snipe, this variant is like the swiss-knife of the Awesome.
8R: The only IS 'Mech with 60 missile tubes. It hits really hard with 4xLRM15s but it can't carry much ammo. I wouldn't SRM brawl in this as its backup weaponry(2E) isn't sufficient. The only standard variant I do not own.
PB: This is basically a mutilated 8V. It's really bad however you look at it. Meaningless hardpoints and meaningless hardpoint placement.

Edited by Tahribator, 13 October 2014 - 05:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users