Join A Team

28 replies to this topic

#1 Greystoke

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

This is a note of encouragement to those pilots who have yet to join a team. Playing online where each match is different is enjoyable to say the least but when you have attached yourself to a team and can work with others on Comms, well, then it really gets fun.
For months now I have been playing online with 4 man teams or as a single in PUG matches. When playing as a lance we work well together but I often watch the single player (PUG) struggle with being the first pilot forced to sit on the sidelines because of errors in judgment, striking out on their own or hiding waiting for an opportunity that never seems to come. I see pilots following close behind each other not being in a position where they can give supporting fire. We all watch “lites” who don’t perform the function of scouts and are no match when the big guys show up. Pilots don’t target lock the mechs they are fighting so their missile boats can lend a hand. And, the worst, losing a winning match to a CAP when no one wants to go back to the base to save the day.
Typing helpful hints during a game just means the typist ends up cannon fodder so gives up in frustration.. Keep in mind, a well played match is a joy when everyone is on the same page.
So… Here is my recommendation. JOIN a TEAM as soon as you can. New folks to the game will be surprised how teammates enjoy bringing new players along. You will learn how to pilot and build mechs. Don’t be shy cause just about every pilot I’ve met across our virtual universe has been friendly and helpful. Your teammate will help you with strategy, functioning with different mechs for different jobs and that’s just the half of it. You might even get a cooking tip or two.
PS: If you read disparaging remarks about your game play, don’t for a second take it to heart because those players have little regard for themselves or anyone else and are remembered by the “Good Guys”.
Greystoke

#2 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

Teamwork OP.

Exploit at every available opportunity.

#3 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostGreystoke, on 11 November 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

You might even get a cooking tip or two.

Only if you forget to install Doubble Heatsinks :) .

Apart from that, I absolutely agree with what you wrote. Just join a publicly hosted voice server (listed in a few threads of this forum) and look for a casual group. You dont need to even speak with them if you dont have a mic or cant talk due to family in the background (Just write in the channel chat that you dont have a mic and they will understand).

If you find that the players in your channel are not friendly, total tools or you just have a bad feeling about them... then you are free to look around till you find a group which you enjoy playing with.

The next step would probably be joining a unit or making your own unit to play in the 12 v 12 matches. They need a lot more organisation and team planning than casual PUG games though, so it is helpfull if have experienced players on your team who can help you. If that is not the case, then look for a frendly unit you can coordinate with to, drop against them and take the time for after match analysis. That way you can discuss what can be improved and what was good (takes a lot of the frustration out of loosing if you know what is causing the losses and you can improve over time...) Dont get discouraged by losses, you will probably loose a lot at the start... with practice you will get better and win more often.

EDIT: Btw... somehow the thread title made me think of Faceman , BA Baraccus and the rest of the A-Team in big stompy robots ;) .

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 12 November 2013 - 02:48 AM.

#4 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Also check the faction subforums, seen as each faction also has its own recruitment threads and usually a couple of TS servers that are faction only, not that players from other factions aren't welcome.

#5 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Not sure if you want to join a permanent team? Check out the No Guts No Galaxy teamspeak servers for some PUG 4 man teams (which can still be better than a solo PUG drop).

Know your house? Check out the house hub sites (I personally recommend the Steiner Hub :) )

Find interesting people on the forum you want to drop with? CHeck out their sigs, as may folks area affileated with a group that's open to new members (I personally recommend the 5th RCT ;) )

There are plenty of ways to find people to drop with. Don't worry, most won't bite.

#6 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Wow this thread is full of win!! :)

Don't care about Houses or just want to make lots of C-bills? Look into Merc units....with CW coming Soon(tm), good players will be needed, and the best way to get good players is train them up right!! ;)

#7 Greystoke

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

Thanx for the support around this topic.. How can we get this out in the open where more new players will read your suggestions? You kinda have to search for this thread. BTW, my wife, for years fussed over the time I spent with Mech Warrior but in the last month or so gave it a try on her personal computer. That cost me a new video card, a Nostromo and RAT 7 but it didn't stop there. A week ago she said her 2 year old machine just didn't cut the mustard so now she has a state of the art machine with all the bells and whistles. I hooked her up with my group and with help from her teammates ( just try and teach your wife to drive) is now building her own mechs and painting them all sorts of wild colours. I'm 68 and she is a few years younger and because of the great folks who play this game we are enjoying evenings. Now all I have to do is get her on my fish boat. Thanx Again folks

#8 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostGreystoke, on 12 November 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Thanx for the support around this topic.. How can we get this out in the open where more new players will read your suggestions? You kinda have to search for this thread. BTW, my wife, for years fussed over the time I spent with Mech Warrior but in the last month or so gave it a try on her personal computer. That cost me a new video card, a Nostromo and RAT 7 but it didn't stop there. A week ago she said her 2 year old machine just didn't cut the mustard so now she has a state of the art machine with all the bells and whistles. I hooked her up with my group and with help from her teammates ( just try and teach your wife to drive) is now building her own mechs and painting them all sorts of wild colours. I'm 68 and she is a few years younger and because of the great folks who play this game we are enjoying evenings. Now all I have to do is get her on my fish boat. Thanx Again folks

ROFL, have to admit the potential frustration is epic when trying to teach your wife to pilot a battlemech. My wife is a gamer and I managed to get her into the game, which then dragged another friends wife into the unit, both of who actually turned out to be pretty good group workers. They are still learning but pretty solid team players. Surprisingly for a traditionally male dominated game I know a great deal of female players.

Tbh, the best way would be to get a list of all the main public, house and unit TS lists togethor into a single forum thread and get it stickied, I know that there is a stickied post for getting help teaming up in the new player section however, from my scan through it only really covers the Comstar NA server.

Edit: I do have a large number of the TS server address and info at home, and can probably compile a list later today when I get back from work.

Edited by ManaValkyrie, 12 November 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#9 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

Ok, so posted up all the public voice chat servers that I know off or can easily find information for at this link

#10 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

I fully approve this message! Yes, it's true, there are some well adjusted people playing this game. Lurk about and notice who's behaving like a jackwad, and who isn't. You'll find there are different spots for different units/personalities/attitudes/factions/whatever can organize...So if you want that Kurita/Japanese vibe, you can find a company of like minded people. If you're looking for a mature Highlander "good guy" clan, there are a few of those mercenary units with new friends to be made. Really, you should find the good guys, they don't bite. They don't mock you, because they don't have **** to prove. They're guys out there that actually would like to help you have a good time learning and helping you and them explore every nuance you can in this game. There are some who are going balls out becoming one with their mech....more to ya and those that wanna run that way too.

PLEASE.... if you wanna get deeper and more proficient, get help, YOU NEED IT!

; )

#11 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 12 November 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Teamwork OP.

It's basically cheating since teams are mixed with pugs.

#12 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostSug, on 16 November 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Teamwork = cheating in a TEAM based game????????

#13 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Got a good chuckle out of that one, Sug, thanks.

#14 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostManaValkyrie, on 16 November 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Teamwork = cheating in a TEAM based game????????

When teams are playing against solo players yes. If the queues got separated most of the people having fun pug stomping would probably quit the game after being forced to play other teams.

#15 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

So I've been waiting on joining a team for Community Warfare to launch, because that's going to change the structure of how organized teams operate pretty radically. I keep hearing, "Oh, CW should launch in the next three months," so I just keep waiting, figuring that if it's only going to be a few months there's no reason to bother. I am, of course, disappointed every single time.

#16 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

View Postaniviron, on 16 November 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

So I've been waiting on joining a team for Community Warfare to launch, because that's going to change the structure of how organized teams operate pretty radically. I keep hearing, "Oh, CW should launch in the next three months," so I just keep waiting, figuring that if it's only going to be a few months there's no reason to bother. I am, of course, disappointed every single time.

Same. : /

#17 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostSug, on 16 November 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

When teams are playing against solo players yes. If the queues got separated most of the people having fun pug stomping would probably quit the game after being forced to play other teams.

No offense, but in 90% of the games, you may not see groups with same faction tags. But a lot of the players in matches are actually in groups of at least 2's. And if they seperated ques, the player base would be marginal. As for PUG stomping, i dont group to stomp, i group to have fun with friends.

#18 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostManaValkyrie, on 16 November 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

As for PUG stomping, i dont group to stomp, i group to have fun with friends.

And if you lost most of your games because you're facing serious teams you wouldn't have fun for very long.

Edited by Sug, 16 November 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#19 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

Arnold J Rimmer, on 12 November 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Teamwork OP.

View PostSug, on 16 November 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Posted Image

#20 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

You can trolllololo all you want but when blizzard separated groups from pugs all those groups of buddies just having fun pvping against pugs dissappeared in about a week when they were forced to face other groups.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users