Here It Is, The First "artillery / Air Strikes Are Op" Thread.

69 replies to this topic

#21 Slepnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 723 posts
  • Locationyelm washington

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

Welcome to combined arms, I wish they were like tabletop artillery strikes so I could watch you really whine when each shell does a 60m explosion with 20 damage within 30m and 10 from 30-60m and arrow IV can be guided by TAG for direct hits on mechs and not the ground they are standing on. getting hit by arty sucks, it is supposed to. if you pile up in a big blob you deserve every arty strike you take. now if only we had VTOLs and tanks to play with to.... :)

#22 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 11 November 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

They're definitely usable in 12 man battles but they are not worth the money in 4 mans. Even if it helps their team win they'll end up winning at a loss.

Some players just want to watch the world burn win matches to raise their ELO, without worrying about C-bills, since many of us already have 100+ million C-bills in the bank and all the mechs we need for the near future.

Then again, PGI has already shown that this game isn't about letting all players having an equal chance of winning. It's about grinding and farming to get the best mechs with the best upgrades and the best weapons and the best consumables. Or just pay real money. Fair enough. But let's not pretend C-bills work as a balancing factor, because there are plenty of people who don't give a toss about them.

EDIT: And as many of you may have realized, this is probably why we don't have a stock mech mode. No grinding = no income for PGI.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 12 November 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#23 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:36 AM

all good points, cept for you OP

#24 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:15 AM

View PostLevon K, on 11 November 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

It's definitely not pay to win because you can just buy them with monopoly money, ie. C-Bills.

But real money (Premium + Hero bonuses) gives you more monopoly money per match, and Artillery Strike is a per/match expenditure...
So I am afraid it is a bit on a slippery slope. Since Artillery Strike doesn't usually mean you lose money per match (I think) , I think it's not a problem yet - but it could become one.

Without wanting to imply that I think Arty is OP and P2W just because someone cried so on the internet.

#25 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

Its not one minute. More like 30 seconds since I have been goofing with it. I carried both arty and air on one mech and can drop them close to one after the other. When someones on cap I drop and airstrike and they move out seeing the smoke. right after it hits I drop arty on the same spot. Most do not realize the second smoke as it blends I killed two bugs in one shot that way and they were screaming on chat.
Now I have seen what I have to assume was premades use four or five in rapid order in a curtain or cell bombardment. Done very well it can near wipe out a team and garuntee a win.

Its a complete waste in most pug matches though but once in a while its just nice to know I got a group of stompers to experince parkinsons.

#26 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 12 November 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

Its not one minute. More like 30 seconds since I have been goofing with it. I carried both arty and air on one mech and can drop them close to one after the other. When someones on cap I drop and airstrike and they move out seeing the smoke. right after it hits I drop arty on the same spot. Most do not realize the second smoke as it blends I killed two bugs in one shot that way and they were screaming on chat.
Now I have seen what I have to assume was premades use four or five in rapid order in a curtain or cell bombardment. Done very well it can near wipe out a team and garuntee a win.

Its a complete waste in most pug matches though but once in a while its just nice to know I got a group of stompers to experince parkinsons.

Posted Image

#27 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 November 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

Some players just want to watch the world burn win matches to raise their ELO, without worrying about C-bills, since many of us already have 100+ million C-bills in the bank and all the mechs we need for the near future.

Then again, PGI has already shown that this game isn't about letting all players having an equal chance of winning. It's about grinding and farming to get the best mechs with the best upgrades and the best weapons and the best consumables. Or just pay real money. Fair enough. But let's not pretend C-bills work as a balancing factor, because there are plenty of people who don't give a toss about them.

EDIT: And as many of you may have realized, this is probably why we don't have a stock mech mode. No grinding = no income for PGI.

Though I agree with what you are saying, We are playing a war game. Now whether or not we have Arty isn't he issue I have, it is why cry over the inclusion of a tried and true Military weapon. One that if properly applied is a game changer?

#28 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 November 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Though I agree with what you are saying, We are playing a war game. Now whether or not we have Arty isn't he issue I have, it is why cry over the inclusion of a tried and true Military weapon. One that if properly applied is a game changer?

Personally I find any tears shed over Arty or Air-drop laughable... Area suppression and CAS is a fundamental tactical response in any ground force military scenario, be it ground warfare or big stompy mechanized biped war machines.

If you get caught standing around with your thumb in your arse and don't vacate on first puff (I like to drop smoke behind my targets BTW) ... It's your fault for playing "oblivious turret".

It's a tactical response to a given situation... QQ is lost on me on this issue.

I'm up to my snoot with folks who only want to play "stompy robots" and want to mitigate any form of combined arms or God forbid... tactical weaponry. :)

#29 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostDaZur, on 12 November 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

Personally I find any tears shed over Arty or Air-drop laughable... Area suppression and CAS is a fundamental tactical response in any ground force military scenario, be it ground warfare or big stompy mechanized biped war machines.

If you get caught standing around with your thumb in your arse and don't vacate on first puff (I like to drop smoke behind my targets BTW) ... It's your fault for playing "oblivious turret".

It's a tactical response to a given situation... QQ is lost on me on this issue.

I'm up to my snoot with folks who only want to play "stompy robots" and want to mitigate any form of combined arms or God forbid... tactical weaponry. :)

Then they are in the wrong game an should maybe look up Gundums! My players have spent 20+ years putting 2 LRM Machs back on a hill raining damage on the enemy as the main force moves to engage. Cheap, Low intelligence, my Camo covered Buttox!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 12 November 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#30 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 November 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

I am thrilled to see artillery and air strikes in this game. I just wish they would be restricted to scout mechs, to give certain light mechs a purpose, in lack of actual role warfare. Make it similar to a command console, put a 1 ton module in a light mech that lets it coordinate artillery and air strikes. And I wouldn't make it a consumable, I would let light mechs use them once every 1 or 2 minutes. That way, a Locust 1V might actually do more than 50 damage in a match.

And not all light mechs would be able to use a "scout module", if I had my way. Because some light mechs are clearly capable of doing a lot of damage without artillery and air strikes.

#31 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 November 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

I am thrilled to see artillery and air strikes in this game. I just wish they would be restricted to scout mechs, to give certain light mechs a purpose, in lack of actual role warfare. Make it similar to a command console, put a 1 ton module in a light mech that lets it coordinate artillery and air strikes. And I wouldn't make it a consumable, I would let light mechs use them once every 1 or 2 minutes. That way, a Locust 1V might actually do more than 50 damage in a match.

And not all light mechs would be able to use a "scout module", if I had my way. Because some light mechs are clearly capable of doing a lot of damage without artillery and air strikes.

I can see this, but also give it as a option for the player who Takes command, give being in charge some thump.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 12 November 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#32 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

I want a wile-e-coyete umbrella attachment for my AMS system...

#33 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostSephlock, on 12 November 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

I want a wile-e-coyete umbrella attachment for my AMS system...

:) I do to now!!! ;)

#34 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:48 AM

Keep in mind that they're one-time use things, too. Someone is sacrificing (still useful) modules like Seismic Sensor, Cap Accelerator, Enhanced Sensors, and so on, just to get a one time, area-effect weapon that can really only kill Locusts (although it can certainly mess up big boys if they get stuck).

Seems like it's hardly overpowered - it's artillery: it's supposed to be something disruptive and painful.

#35 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

According to the old Command Chair posts, there is a 4 second waiting period after the last shell hits the ground before another friendly unit can call in an Air Strike or Artillery Strike. This does not mean they can be called-in every 4 seconds, but only that it can be called-in after 4 seconds have passed since the last shell of the last strike has hit the ground... So if your team wants to fire them in succession, then you have to wait for your strike to be deployed, then you have to wait for the shells to stop raining down, and after the last one hits you wait 4 seconds... then your team can call another one in. Repeat.

There is a ComStar Focus Group thread on it here: http://mwomercs.com/...ated-april-2nd/

You could also post in the Patch feedback section somewhere about it, too.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 12 November 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#36 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 12 November 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

area-effect weapon that can really only kill Locusts
I recommend that we start referring to them as "bug spray"!

#37 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 12 November 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

I have in several matches seen Strikes following each other in a matter of some seconds, 1 Smoke Signal was gone the other plopped up...wondered too what happens...without a log impossible to say.

Could be Arty on first then Air strike on 2nd, rinse repeat.

Edit: Also, I have seen a number of strikes recently with people now using them with the increased damage. I can safely say, I have never been hit with one. I see the billowing smoke can move out of the way. Maybe if I was goign 48 KPH or something I might have problems, but I tend to run faster than that.

Edited by Ngamok, 12 November 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#38 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

Just wish the mechanic was less random. A consumable that can headshot someone is not balanced.

They aren't going to touch them for a long time though because they are not a problem in pugs. They dominate the 12v12 queue, to the point where each team has at least 6 strikes, usually more.

This is also because of the seismic nerf. It needed one, but now the consumables are the best modules you can take.

Edited by Roughneck45, 12 November 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#39 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 11 November 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

Yep, I'm calling it now.

Bloody airstrikes and artillery are OP - when used by premades.

I stopped reading right there.

#40 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

artillery and airstrikes SHOULD be powerful. But even the slowest mech should be able to move out of it in time if they see the smoke, Thats just wrong.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users