Marauder Contest - All Entry Voting! - Closed

240 replies to this topic

#41 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

I would rate my favorites as such:

1. Project Phoenix TRO Marauder :ph34r:
2. ResidentCrow
3. Dadrick
4. Marcobra

#42 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

extremely happy with the voting thus far, the design elements and cues of character i expect for a marauder are mostly topping the polls, easily making top 5 anyways.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 13 November 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

extremely happy with the voting thus far, the design elements and cues of character i expect for a marauder are mostly topping the polls, easily making top 5 anyways.

only one is throwing me off a tad. And it's still a great design, just doesn't say "Marauder" to me. Further proof on how we can all take the same fluff, same starting point, and see something totally different. Cool stuff!

#44 100mile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Excellent project and the designs are great...Here's to keeping hope alive that one day at least an iteration of my favorite Mech will make it into the game.... :ph34r: If not at least I am not alone....

#45 Richard Strong

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

#25 has the best art but I wouldn't buy it. Looks too much like an alien from the movies. #28 on the other hand, not the best art but probably the best design, certainly something I would like to pilot.

#4 and #7 are great runners up.

Edited by Richard Strong, 13 November 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#46 Bootsock

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

I've voted for my top three, but everyone should be proud of their submissions because there is some terrific ideas and artwork here.

Well done also to the organisers and all contributers, excellent job all round.

#47 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

Aside from it`s arms, Fherot`s "Blutbad" Marauder looks really mean, I am just not sure yet if it wouldn`t fit the theme for a Marauder 2 or even a Nightstar better. I could also envision something like this but a bit less bulky to be a DragonFire or a Mealstrom.

I REALLY like the looks of the torso though.

Marcobras entry looks a bit slated, but it brings some cool design ideas to the table. I just can`t see it as a Marauder as it stands.

ResidentCows entry simply looks badass!Everything about this thing screams MAAAAAAAD! ARRR I don`t know if it is a bit too much though. Still dig this design, awesome job!

I could see Shimmering Sword`s entry to be the winner, if it goes on a diet. Very clean lines, an advanced technical feel, a more rounded shape (which is mentioned as a special armor plating technique in one of the first BattleTech books), same goes for SloCat`s MAD.

Very cool idea, Moon, I hope this thread will yield in some results (namely PGI trying to take on a revamp of the Unseens) :ph34r:

#48 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Wow. By the current voting Dadrick's Marauder (my favorite) is out of the top 5. And I'm barely bothered, because the other art is that good.

Big thanks to MoonUnitBeta for making this happen.

#49 Nomorga

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

First of All thanks to MoonUnitBeta for the great idea. Wish best of luck to all participants. Some really great artworks are in this gallery and i can see very interesting concepts in almost any of them. Regarding the marauder: i hope the winner, and the mech we'll be hopefully playing, will keep some of the features that made it my fav mech ever: i think most of its design strenght is in the leg/arms location and the position where they are jointed to torso: differently from other, more humanoid mechs, arms are attached almost at the same height of legs, on the same horizontal line, givin it a very aggressive look and i think this is very important: i saw a lot of stunnning design in this contest that can make some great mech, but some of them, despite being amazing, i haven't voted for this reason: too much "vulture" or "madcat"- like; arms that are attached above the leg aren't my fav and do not feel "marauder" to me. Another (imho, ofc) important distinctive design in the MAD is the torso line and shape: simply perfect: that along with arm&leg position is what i feel should remain the same as in the original. Thank to all those that have contributed with prizes, designs, comments, and votes. Long live MWO.

Edited by Nomorga, 13 November 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#50 Foster Bondroff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

Kudos to everyone involed here. MoonUnitBeta for creating the contest, to the sponsors for adding to the prizes and to the artist which have done an amazing job.

My personal Tops 5 are.

Marcobras and Karyudo DS way ahead of the rest, with Marcobras idea a slight tad ahead. Both designs scream "Marauder" to me.

Than Shimmerings Swords and Justin Nelsons designs. Again no clear winner for me between them, but not topnotch here, cause i see this as a classic 75t Marauder contest and both design remind me more of the 100t Marauder II than the heavy Marauder.

Last in the TOP5 is ResidentCrow. I liked his design, cause it is a real great artwork and deserves a place in the final round. BUT and that is a huge BUT for me. Although i appraise his drawing skills, what i see there is no Battlemech for me. With all those neat little details, those dents, small plates, handles etc... to me his great art looks more like a "steampunk" interpretation of the Marauder and not an MWO like interpretation i would like to see ingame.

But again, i bow to all participants in huge respect.

Hopefully PGI/IGN notices this contest and fan dedication thrown in here, and honoes it by giving us what we so urgently want a playable marauder.

#51 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

Where's Krigg's concept art??

http://mwomercs.com/...auder-redesign/

Post 17

I know Nathan Foxbane listed it in the submissions in post 295 here below. I was watching for that one to vote for.

http://mwomercs.com/...t/page__st__280

#52 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:51 AM

I've voted for my fav. three concepts.

1. Karyudo DS
2. Dadrick
3. ResidentCrow

#53 Lone Wolf MechQuade

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIn my Bronco

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:18 AM

This contest and its arts and artists are so incredibly awesome!
I really would like to see similar contests in the future with mechs that are on top of the wish list of the community. Maybe King Crab is next?
I'm sure, there would be a great sharing if there was a donation account for this kind of contest(s).

Edited by Lone Wolf MechQuade, 14 November 2013 - 02:19 AM.

#54 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:31 AM

The only reason there is even a contest about this 'Mech is because of the "controversial" nature of the artwork and some people being unable to accept the Project Phoenix TRO version of the 'Mechs. There won't be such controversy with the majority of 'Mechs, so there's no real reason to have contests for them.

What I don't understand is why these designs are acceptable to people when the official PP TRO artwork is not. It makes no sense to me.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 14 November 2013 - 02:33 AM.

#55 Lone Wolf MechQuade

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIn my Bronco

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

Hm, in my opinion there's nothing to complain about.
Further I think these designs are more appreciated because they're fan made.
The main reason why this conest was made doesn't matter for me. What I see is a large amount of very creative participans and I would like to see mor of their works in the future.
Finally there's a little chance, PGI recognizes this contest and perhaps they will adopt one of this great concept arts possibly even as it stands.
It would be so great to see a fan made mech walking around in this game.

Edited by Lone Wolf MechQuade, 14 November 2013 - 03:13 AM.

#56 Hallegal

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSol,Terra,Ger.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:22 AM

First. Great work from all of you guys! And a great contest.
It's hard but my vote is:
1. Bishop Steiner
2. Fherot (Blutbad)
3.Residentcrow
3.5 Dadrick
:ph34r:

#57 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

My favorites are:
#17 y Karyudo
#18 by Marcobra
#23 by Reno Blade
#24 by ResidentCrow (Best)
#25 by Shimmering Sword
#28 by SloCat

For you guys, here are my detailed opinions:

At the top. #24 by ResidentCrow
Spoiler

From 1 (dislike) over 5 (don't mind) to 10 (perfect)
General feel: 10
Proportions: 10
Position (of mech body parts): 9
Parts
- Cockpit: 7
- CT: 9
- Side torsos: 9
- Arms: 9
- Legs: 8
Details: 9
This is my top favorite. The slim CT with rounded side torso makes this the best profile. Also both Legs and Arms have the perfect size. The shoulders look a bit fragile and the cockpit could have more windows. A few less heatsinks (the top most CT and side torso heatsinks) could be removed and the "handles" on the barrels also.
Great work!

#18 by Marcobra
Spoiler

General feel: 8
Proportions: 7
Position (of mech body parts): 8
Parts
- Cockpit: 7
- CT: 5
- Arms: 8
- Legs: 7
The short CT and the "open-door" looking cockpit makes this one a little less perfect.
The side toroso, shoulder and arms are very good in size, form and proportions. The knees are special, but don't really fit the marauder (imho).

#28 by SloCat
Spoiler

General feel: 9
Proportions: 8
Parts
- Cockpit: 8
- CT: 7
This one looks really badass like a wrestler with muscular shoulders.
It might be a bit wide with the broad shoulders, but the overall look is intimidating.
If the CT would go a bit further (where the gun is), that would make it perfect for me.

#25 by Shimmering Sword
Spoiler

General feel: 7
Proportions: 6
Parts
- Cockpit: 9
- CT: 7
- Side torsos: 7
- Arms: 7
Details: 7
We know it was a quick work, so there might have been more details with more time. Still a very nice Marauder, like always from you.
The overall look is good, but the proportions lower the threatening look quite a bit.
The torso looks too fat and could fit the Marauder-2 more (100t) while the arms are a bit stubby in comparision.
A slimmer torso and the arms a bit higher and longer and this one could be top.

#17 y Karyudo
Spoiler

Position (of mech body parts): 7
Parts
- CT: 8
- Side torsos: 8
Details: 7
This looks very promissing. Good positioning and balance. Only the (macross typical) forward position of the torso over the far back hip would make this mech fall over (like the original).
Very angular and sharp. It might look a bit small on the torso in this view.

and what would this be without criticising (spelling?) my own work:
#23 by Reno Blade
Spoiler

Position (of mech body parts): 7
Parts
- CT: 8
- Side torsos: 7
- Legs: 5
Details: 5
Looking at this now after weeks, it reminds me of the Vulture (Bloodhound) clan mech more than a Marauder. The legs should have been close to the Reseen, but they are really not made for a Marauder.
If the image would have the quality of the other great designs, maybe it would be easier to compare.
The positioning and proportions of the torsos and shoulders/arms (without the shields) come close to other designs (mentioned above), but the arms look too big here and the legs too thin.
Overall, the forward positioning of the cockpit windows were one of the main points of the design, while the shields should bring some new live to it.
As you can see on the left, there is one version without the shields.

#58 VooDooAddict

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

Great work everyone involved. Even those that aren't getting tons of votes, don't get discouraged. Can see that everyone went through lots of hard work on this.

I was hesitant to vote, since besides MW2 and the old battletech cartoon, I don't really have much lore investment in battletech. But after seeing some of the cool designs I had to drop in a few votes. I voted for those I would personally be excited to run. They seemed to capture the aspect of the Marauder being "advanced" and different while still fitting the gritty feel of MWO.

#59 Weisse

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:06 AM

Form me is:

1- Nomorga
2- Marcobra
3- Fherot

#60 GoonseinFrankie

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

Wow, so many great entries... hard to pick just one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users