Night Mode Whats The Point?

18 replies to this topic

Poll: night/heat modules (20 member(s) have cast votes)

do you want night/heat modules

1. yes gimme ! (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. no your stupid (14 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

besides every pressing N and playing with a green screen whats the point of night mode?

What you need to do is make night and heat modules to equip to your mech. Right now nobody has an advantage or disadvantage playing night maps

making the modules will make night modes relevant otherwise lets all just play with a green screen...

#2 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

I really don't get where you're going with this. You have a choice between night-vision and thermal vision now.

(Protip: Use nightvision for navigation, heat vision for combat.)

#3 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

Huh?

#4 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostRovertoo, on 14 November 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

Huh?

let me rephrase it..

so we can havwe heat vision and make everything white, or night and make everything green,,,

so apart from having {Scrap} graphics for 15 mins, what is the point of night mode..

#5 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

Night mode offers a little variation between maps for a low level of development effort. If you're complaining that a night mode simply exists, the only comfort I can offer is that it's only on two maps. Personally, I like night-mode of frozen city more than the snowy, foggy pea soup of day mode. Variation is key to keep a game from becoming stale, and adding night modes is an easy way to keep things at least a little fresh.

I'd love to see a night mode of Canyon Network, especially with the parent planet hanging in the sky partially illuminated.

#6 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

I believe that the OP is trying to say that the variation in question, particularly River City Night, is more annoying than helpful.

Edited by Kyrie, 14 November 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#7 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

My computer has issues with nightvision and thermal so I am not a fan of either. They are a very lazy way to make something look different but honestly just come off as cheap. In order for them to make a more dynamic effect they should be used alternatively throughout a level with both high and low light areas. This could be created by shadow effects, lamp posts, or even flares but those would all take time and effort that PGI clearly can't spare. Like many of there genuinely good ideas (information warfare, CW, dynamic missions) they have proven that if they have too many things on there plate they will focus on one and simple excrete the rest. Pumping out place holders and TBD features is almost there specialty at this point.

#8 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Do I really have to place thermal and night vision on my list now....? This really is getting ridiculous....

#9 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

'Mech battles don't always happen during the day. Night maps are a different sort of challenge, especially since the viewing distance of Heat/Night mode is less than normal vision mode.

#10 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

Is OP trying to make us fork over more CBill to install Night Vision and Heat Vision module?

#11 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

View PostSandpit, on 14 November 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Do I really have to place thermal and night vision on my list now....? This really is getting ridiculous....

No not really, IMO this is suggestion to make them work differently, not remove/disable them

and to OP:
As long as we don't know what map we are going to drop in that won't work, when we can select map or know which map we will get before choosing mech & loadout, then yes I agree that those should/could be modules.
River city night without ANY vision module is kinda hard to play (unless you put your gamma slider to max).

#12 Kojin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

I don't use night vision or heat vision as default in night maps as often I can see movement and laser burned mechs easier without either turned on. Silhouettes also often make it easier to target mechs than having heat or night vision on too.

Turn your cockpit lights off and use your eyes some more.

#13 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

Ever since closed beta, I've always felt that Night Vision and Thermal Vision should have been available only as an Advance Optics module, with floodlights being equipped as standard for seeing in low-light settings.

#14 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

"We have night maps?" asked the guy that knows how to work the brightness and contrast settings in game and on his monitor.

#15 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostCPL Madison, on 14 November 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

besides every pressing N and playing with a green screen whats the point of night mode?

What you need to do is make night and heat modules to equip to your mech. Right now nobody has an advantage or disadvantage playing night maps

making the modules will make night modes relevant otherwise lets all just play with a green screen...

You used the wrong "your" in your poll. "You're stupid".

I have an advantage in night maps because I don't automatically hit the night vision button. I snipe mechs in River City Night from the start and then pop night vision on and off as needed even throwing in Thermal from time to time. When I see people who just click one button and then level it on all game it drives me nuts. You can and should switch vision modes on the fly to get a better idea of what is going on. Skilled pilots will.

Maybe I just played too much Aliens Vrs Predator back in the 90s where vision modes were very important and switching them was more so.

#16 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

If you have any doubt about the current level of interest in a Night Mode, check this out: http://mwomercs.com/...e-desert-night/ . The level of enthusiasm for Night combat is very real, as are the contributors ideas for enhancements to Night mode. Personally like to use the Thermal mode, its really close to the TI tracking systems used my British Army Air Defence.

#17 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

why cant we switch on reflectors on the mechs in the first place i dont mind to be illuminated and blind others night vision
other Mech Warrior titles have reflectors
they are just the Black and Withe\Green map with significant frame rate loss at the moment night maps not to enjoyable to many ppl
OPTIONAL Reflectors and different vision modules may change the unpopularity of darker maps

#18 Kazairl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

I think only thing that needs to change with these modes is to add a counter. Like useing your head lamps on a mech using night vision. And infer red lamps to blind heat vision.

#19 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

I voted the second option just because it's obviously true of anyone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're". For example, "Stay away from me OP! You're going to get your stupid all over me!"

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users