#21 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

View Postcdlord, on 15 November 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

An artist's rendition of Teddy, the UN (super lolz), and a fantasy religious army does not constitute precedence for painting military assets white..... For every white tank you show me, I can show you hundreds of drab green ones.....

Fine, have a photograph:

Posted Image

Your Sandpit's quote of '"let's paint all of our military assets white as the base color and send them out in field" said no military commander ever.' is still invalid. I don't need hundreds of examples, I just need any.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 15 November 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#22 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostFilter41, on 14 November 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

But for me it is wrong because the "basic green" is a GOOD camouflage!

easy solution: trial mechs have already a camo! So in contrast to the first bought stock mech it is easy to see for every newbie, that color makes a big difference in MWO!!!!

What do you think about this???? Should i write an official request to PGI???

#23 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 15 November 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Fine, have a photograph:
Your quote of '"let's paint all of our military assets white as the base color and send them out in field" said no military commander ever.' is still invalid. I don't need hundreds of examples, I just need any.

I didn't know our mechs were battleships sailing the open sea and needed contrast colors with the ocean, sky, and clouds.... Plus you are quoting an era where pomp and flash was more important that guile. Mechwarrior is a modernish rendition of futuristic combat. Drab green is the standard and there are special camos for desert/forest/arctic/urban environments. And last I checked, we have all of that.

#24 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

View Postcdlord, on 15 November 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

I didn't know our mechs were battleships sailing the open sea and needed contrast colors with the ocean, sky, and clouds.... Plus you are quoting an era where pomp and flash was more important that guile. Mechwarrior is a modernish rendition of futuristic combat. Drab green is the standard and there are special camos for desert/forest/arctic/urban environments. And last I checked, we have all of that.

I'm not contesting that olive drab is a better "standard" paint than white, I'm contesting that you Sandpit said "no commander ever" used white for their military assets, which is clearly wrong.

Also, I'm very certain that in the Battletech Universe, pomp and flash are very important again.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 15 November 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#25 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 15 November 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Fine, have a photograph:

Posted Image

Your quote of '"let's paint all of our military assets white as the base color and send them out in field" said no military commander ever.' is still invalid. I don't need hundreds of examples, I just need any.

Um... the camo color requirements for a naval vessel are completely different than those for a tank or mech. Sea-based vs. land-based and all that.

No idea why anyone would want to punish new players even more. This game is hard enough to learn, and the grind to get a playable mech is painful... so let's paint all the new players with basically a target on their heads so they can die quicker. Ugh...

#26 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 15 November 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Um... the camo color requirements for a naval vessel are completely different than those for a tank or mech. Sea-based vs. land-based and all that.

No idea why anyone would want to punish new players even more. This game is hard enough to learn, and the grind to get a playable mech is painful... so let's paint all the new players with basically a target on their heads so they can die quicker. Ugh...

Because turning back a page for context is too hard:

View PostDirePhoenix, on 15 November 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

View PostSandpit, on 14 November 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

"let's paint all of our military assets white as the base color and send them out in field" said no military commander ever.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also apologies for attributing Sandpit's quote to cdlord, but he posted right after sandpit, and then attempted to back up the quote.

#27 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 15 November 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

I'm not contesting that olive drab is a better "standard" paint than white, I'm contesting that you Sandpit said "no commander ever" used white for their military assets, which is clearly wrong.

Also, I'm very certain that in the Battletech Universe, pomp and flash are very important again.

Which is why we have hero mechs.... The regular front line trooper wears the olive drab of his peers.

#28 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 15 November 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The UN isn't that great of an example since they actually want to be clearly seen.

#29 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

And we all see how well the UN functions as a military unit.........

The UN does it for a very specific reason. It's done to identify them AS the UN, not as a tactical camo. They are not trying to be inconspicuous, they are TRYING to stand out and be noticed. Not a valid example. Air and naval units are a completely different aspect. They use white because they deal with air, water, and cloud camo. It's the same reason you don't see soliders wearing woodland camos when deployed in the desert.

#30 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

View PostSandpit, on 15 November 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

And we all see how well the UN functions as a military unit.........

The UN does it for a very specific reason. It's done to identify them AS the UN, not as a tactical camo. They are not trying to be inconspicuous, they are TRYING to stand out and be noticed. Not a valid example. Air and naval units are a completely different aspect. They use white because they deal with air, water, and cloud camo. It's the same reason you don't see soliders wearing woodland camos when deployed in the desert.

I don't think you can honestly say with the way mechs fight that contemporary camouflage would ever be effective. Modern camo is used for units that are trying to stay hidden. Snipers that don't move. Even camo'd snipers stay still because movement will give them away. Tankers that fight from just barely visible ranges, and low to the ground. Mechs are TALL machines that stride into battle, often sticking out above the horizon (not unlike battleships), and fight at very close ranges. Camo on mechs isn't meant to hide the machines, if anything it's to obfuscate distinctive parts so its harder to tell if you're aiming at an arm, torsos, or leg*. Your mech isn't going to be hidden a from a few hundred meters away just because your paintjob matches the grass under your feet or the rock cliffs behind you (especially if you're not standing still), but you can have a paint pattern that makes it harder to tell which parts are which, or where some parts begin and others end.

And also like the UN, Mech pilots would WANT to their targets to know who it is that's coming for them. Might as well have a hotshot paintjob since that forest camo is absolutely useless at any range you'd be fighting at anyway.

*Battleship "camo" was also not meant to "hide" the ship, as doing so is a silly thing when it sticks out above the horizon. Instead, ship camo would often try to make the waterline look higher so that the ship looked farther away or they would paint patterns that made it look like it was facing at an angle different than its real angle, which would make the enemy misjudge where to fire their cannons..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users