3 replies to this topic

#1 Reconius

• PipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hello everyone,
First off, I've had the amazing luck to be able to get a group of six guys together from my local High school to play some battletech, and all Of them are getting their lance packs and whatnot for Christmas. Now, we've been debating over who's going to steamroll the others for weeks now, and four of them have quite intimidating lances, while the fifth guy, ( whose obsessed with turtles) gets a full lance of Great turtles. I'm lucky enough to get the IS lance pack two for Christmas, with classics such as the Atlas, Warhammer, Dervish, and Panther. I also planned on either getting a battle cobra or a Huron warrior as a fire support style mech, and a pair of Partisan Heavy Tanks. Basically, we're not really following any lore, we're just kinda doing our intergalactic war style thing that will usually last several months before a Victor emerges.

So, What I kinda want to know is, Good lance? Bad one? Good other mechs to get instead of Huron warrior/ battle cobra? and Good roles for each mech (Below)

The Roles I had planned for now:1.

Atlas: Butter Churn: Devastate enemy armor then retreat, paired with warhammer

Warhammer: Butter Knife: Knock out the heavily damaged enemies from the atlas attack.

Dervish: Fire Support / light soldier paired with Huron warrior

Panther: Butter Finisher: Finishes job on any enemies that atlas couldn't get, light soldier

Huron Warrior: Fire Support / light soldier: acts kind of as second Warhammer

Battle Cobra: Long range sniper

Also, is there any chance I might be able to have my Atlas stand on the partisans, and then ride them into battle, autocannons Going hot in a blaze of glory?

Thanks so much guys,
Reconius

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:22 AM

View PostReconius, on 14 November 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Also, is there any chance I might be able to have my Atlas stand on the partisans, and then ride them into battle, autocannons Going hot in a blaze of glory?

That for the first: ehm no:
maybe the Atlas can carry the partisans but I'm not so sure about it.

What tech do you use?
If your friend uses really a Lance of great turtles...you need more fire power and more speed.
hose things are slow and only have a short reach (but its likely that they will kill anything that land before them)- last not least it is protected by 40.5tons of armor (more as twice the ammount your Atlas is able to have.

#3 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

Do you have forced variants right now, or are you still picking them?

You really need to check each other's BattleValue. The real key to evening games up is picking the right variants & piloting skills to even up the gaps.

I highly recommend picking up Megamek if you're interested in table top, as it's actually an incredibly good aid to the table top game that will save you HOURS if you mirror the game onto it via a tablet or something.

EDIT: I also know you said you aren't following lore but casually chucking in a massively OP Clan mech* like the Battle Cobra against an IS Panther...

* Clan pulse lasers are outright insanely good, in particular the LPL, and you've got options ranging from *6* MPL *4* SPL to the default 2 LPL 2 MPL.. yeah. Don't include that thing in an otherwise IS campaign unless everyone gets to choose one clan mech.

Edited by Victor Morson, 15 November 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:23 AM

BV is a good advice - given the chance of using clan tech the Atlas could become a menace that should easy break a Great Turtle into two.

here: same BV as a Turtle:
Stay above 15 hex away - and you can vaporize those Turtles:

Spoiler

With those variants - even with full clan tech you hardly get enough BV to be a match for 4 Great Turtles (althoug as said - keep range and win :P)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users