State Of Mwo

587 replies to this topic

#41 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:41 AM

S!

Same names and groups over and over again. That is how the game is at this point. PUG games offer a bit of variation in name lists, but even there you begin to notice certain names and groups more and more. I have no idea what PGI really wants to do with this IP. Turning it to another generic FPS shooter with Mech flavor and milking the last drop of moolah from the players with endless implementations of stuff? I do not have much faith in CW either. PGI making something better than not even WoT can do with it's huge resources of people and money?

The fun has left the game. I bought packages and whatnot and have a laugh with mates on TS. But that does not carry you if the game is same poop and gets stale. I like Battle Tech and Mechs a lot, but gravitating to other games with my limited playing time. Nice stuff just around the corner.

#42 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 16 November 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

1. I do not believe lobbies would destroy the public queue based on the fact there are plenty of pug or lone wolves if you will to fill it.
2. Lobbies would allow for new player training and retention will out the frustration dying in 3 minutes and not learning to fight and pilot a mech.
3. Private lobbies would allow for inter-faction training and rivalries.
4. Lobbies would take some pressure off of PGI and their game development cycle.
5. Lobbies would give the player base something to do until community warfare finally emerges.
6. Lobbies would allow the player base to set goals and have a sense of accomplishment besides the endless grind.
7. Lobbies does not have to be a permanent feature, only until CW emerges.

^^^This!

Of the general bafflement of MWO's state, the lobby issue is one of the most mind blowing. Like you say, it would generate so much life span for the game, because people could just curl up in their leagues, while waiting PGI to get CW done, instead of getting frustrated with the pugs or at the forum.

With lobbies, we can have our own matches. I'm still dreaming of the possibility of not only hosting your own games but also being able to change settings. For example, the link in my Sig would fix information warfare by basically only changing some numbers. Would take half an hour and the game would be SO much better...

#43 Blowfeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 322 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:28 AM

I just occassionally pop into the forums to see if collision, UI 2.0, CW and DX11 are already implemented in this released game, then read some banter and leave dissatisfied again for a month or 2...

#44 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 November 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

In my guild, out of 55 regular MWO players, 27 effectively quit on august 22nd, and only 10 of those 27 did any drops since. Since the locust release, 0 of those 10 have done any drops.

Out of the remaining 28, only 6 are interested in playing the game this month.

We feel your pain out of an effective 96+ members, we are lucky to field a 4 man any given night.
Jeebus to show how zealous we were about this game we practiced 3 nights a week.
Hell one member of or group sprung for patches for all of us - that's real cash money.
Yeah I'm one of the few still hyped by the game but good gravy PGI your island is sinking.
Don't be Atlantis

#45 King Picollo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

It needs some new content, they add stuff slowly but they really need to step it up or add a new gametype to mix it up.

#46 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

While I agree that the game is dying out, I don't think it has any thing to do with the fact that PGI has treated their Founders poorly, or that they've broken promises, or that they've stopped communicating with the fans, etc. All those things have upset me personally, but I'm not going to let my personal bias get in the way here.

I honestly believe that this game would have been doing ok, even with all of PGIs various mistakes, if they had CW and UI2.0 ready at launch, and both elements were developed to an acceptable standard.

People are leaving this game because they're bored. Not because they're pissed off about 3PV or the fact that NARC is still useless. It may be different for some Founders, but I do think that the majority of ex-players would still be around if we had CW and UI 2.0 at launch.

#47 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

+1 to Allister. UI2 won;t add anything to the game but we have been held hostage over it for a year.

CW was promised to the founders, then promised to the Phenoix, and is still 6+ months away. All we heard after 6 months silence was a single post at launch that was great but apparently we will not hear anything for another 6 months.

Meanwhile, same weapons, same game mode, same same same with nothing compelling to bring people back. This is why they have retention issues (not 3rd person, tutorial or other such excuses).

Give me a lobby and the community would play ISW, LMS, and a bunch of other things. They could have easily given us that 1 year ago. The game would at least have players. Like everyone else, I am lucky to get 3 games per week because there is simply no reason to play. It is the same game I played back in May 2013.

Edited by Chemie, 17 November 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#48 Lootee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

The only reason I still log in is because I still have Founder's premium time ticking down. After that's gone so am I.

Only recently activated it because I accepted the fact that this game is never going to get better and I wanted to get some benefit out of the Founder package before the game folds. If I didn't use up the premium time I'd feel even more ripped off.

Had been waiting for CW and the game to be balanced before activating, but meh. Don't care any more at this point.

Edited by PanchoTortilla, 17 November 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#49 Fenris Krinkovich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationWestfall, OK

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

I keep reading that CW is pushed back another 6 months, but I don't remember that happening. When was this announced? I came back a couple weeks ago because I thought CW was coming in December, like they said the second or third time. ;)

#50 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

Posted Image

War's never been so much fun.

#51 Devilsfury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostChemie, on 17 November 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

+1 to Allister. UI2 won;t add anything to the game but we have been held hostage over it for a year.

CW was promised to the founders, then promised to the Phenoix, and is still 6+ months away. All we heard after 6 months silence was a single post at launch that was great but apparently we will not hear anything for another 6 months.

Meanwhile, same weapons, same game mode, same same same with nothing compelling to bring people back. This is why they have retention issues (not 3rd person, tutorial or other such excuses).

Give me a lobby and the community would play ISW, LMS, and a bunch of other things. They could have easily given us that 1 year ago. The game would at least have players. Like everyone else, I am lucky to get 3 games per week because there is simply no reason to play. It is the same game I played back in May 2013.

Im with you on it all. I remember playing with Chemie back in June of 2012 and the game hasnt changed since then. SIgh...

#52 xXOoppsXx

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

I am glad that I made this thread to have heard from like minded players as me. I was not around since closed beta like most of you here. I did buy the phoenix pack truly thinking faction warfare was coming (with the faction medallions). Some have mentioned about units going inactive. This is holding true in my unit.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so I can rule out the "is it just me" idea.

It would be kinda cool for PGI or whoever is running this to weigh in on this thread.

#53 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

They would only say "working as intended".

#54 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostAnjian, on 17 November 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

I don't know if the game is dying or not. I don't get the impression that it is. It probably having record numbers, although I feel with the state of the game, and with so many good games out there, there will also be record churn. I do know, despite paying $80 for the Overlord Package and another $30 for the Saber package, my playtime on MWO has dropped off drastically. I am increasingly putting more time on other games now. I used to be able to play at least 10 to 20 games a night, now, I tend to leave after 2 or 3 games. That is on the days I bother playing at all, because many days I don't even bother.

Despite all the honest improvements made in the game, I am quite put off how the game somehow feels like it doesn't fit together, like its made by every group around it that doesn't talk to each other or follow a cohesive vision, like everything is being done without testing, and every patch is about things trying to fix mistakes of the past, while continuing to make new ones like they never learn. I play other games and I don't get this pissed off, frustrated, they should fire the creators/developers feeling that I do with MWO. I think I may play a few games here and there, master the mechs I have already started (I don't believe in finishing half way), but if you ask me if I were to spend a lot of money on a package again, my answer is probably somewhere nearer to NO right now. Compared to that, last July, I popped for the Overlord package within 24 hours after it was announced.

I linger the forums, looking for news that somehow, things will change.

Depends if you mean a record number of total accounts, or of players who are actually active and playing in the last few weeks. The number of total accounts can only go up over time as new players sign up, or as people create multiple accounts to farm cadet bonuses (this is a strange thing to do, but no joke I've heard of people doing it just to try a new mech).

As for active players you can get some idea from the forum population. If we imagine that the number of players in game and in forum are correlated we can see that the all time high of players in game came after phoenix launched with about ~6000 simulatneous forum logins. Back in open beta pre august I would often see 2500 or so during primetime saturday and sunday.

This week I'm seeing ~1300. Right this moment we are at 1155.

This suggests that active players have fallen off by more than 50% since closed beta, and despite the giant spike of phoenix it has fallen off by >80% in just a month.

The game badly needs community warfare if it is going to hold any significant audience.

edit> FYI you can calculate how many players were online in open beta - I do so here> http://mwomercs.com/...75#entry2717775

Average players online in open beta ~1623 give or take a hundred.
If this is correlated 1:1 with the forum population of 2500, this means 1155 forum population is about 750 players these days. That would explain why you run into the same groups over and over again and why even dropping solo can take minutes to find a match.

Edited by Tolkien, 17 November 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#55 xXOoppsXx

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Damn Tolkien, that is a pretty damn awesome analysis. I like when people use "hard #s" to explain things rather than speculating. What you just said totally fits what I have seen with the phoenix era and now.

#56 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostxXOoppsXx, on 17 November 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Damn Tolkien, that is a pretty damn awesome analysis. I like when people use "hard #s" to explain things rather than speculating. What you just said totally fits what I have seen with the phoenix era and now.

Thanks for the kind words. They make it hard to aggregate enough numbers to do the calculations, but the infographic said more than they expected when combined with Paul's statement of 'average match length 8.4 minutes'.

I don't think this game is dead, but so many opportunities and so much goodwill has been wasted. I hope it will recover.

#57 xXOoppsXx

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Agreed.

#58 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 17 November 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

Posted Image

War's never been so much fun.

You said it.

The fallen shall forever be remembered as the emperor's finest..

#59 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 17 November 2013 - 03:55 AM, said:

I won't be here in 2015, Vinson. Don't know about you.

I'm going to hold you to that ;)

View PostTolkien, on 17 November 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

This week I'm seeing ~1300. Right this moment we are at 1155.

This could also suggest that less people come to these forums to post since there is less issues than during closed beta.

#60 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 17 November 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

I'm going to hold you to that ;)

This could also suggest that less people come to these forums to post since there is less issues than during closed beta.

There are no new players in the new player section...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users