#81 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostLiGhtning90, on 23 January 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

I have to say "don't have any clue" on this one. To be honest, I don't really like LRM weapons. So I don't really care about the Catapult variants.

Because LRM5's not 20's, that's why. And the guy you are qouting thinks dual ppc builds are crappy, lol.
That's why the A1 and not the C4. I don't know if I would even take a cat anymore at all, now that they have ben nerfed.

Edited by lsp, 23 January 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#82 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

how have they been nerfed? im guessing the missile tube changes? yeah....i hate them to, was so mad when i saw c4 is no longer the only one that has 20 missile tubes, and my lrm 90 catapult wont fire one salvo anymore >.< and thats why i made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Just wanna play, 23 January 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#83 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostCavendish, on 23 January 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Since Im new to the whole LRM boat deal (im a light driver at heart) I just wanna ask;

Everyone seems to bring up the CPLT A1, but never the CPLT C1? Why is this? I cant see any major faults with the C1 yet every damn build I look up is something like 2xPPC then some crappy SRM/Streak build....

Playing around with the C1, Ive managed to get some decent 2xLRM20/BAP/Tag builds with it, but obviously Im missing something.

Because they see all the missile hardpoints and common sense flies right out the window. The C4 is actually the best Catapult for LRMs, because it can equip a TAG and still carry a Ghost-Heat non-violating config like 20x2 5x2.

Still, your best bet for missiles are still medium 'mechs.

#84 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 23 January 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

biggest point for that build was to cover the teams artillery needs with out taking up to much weight, kind of like an urban mech, low cost fire power solution,(aka think two catapults with like 2 lrm 20s vs me with 5 lrm 20s and not weighing much more)

Yes, however - there is a cost/return ratio to consider. Sure, those two Catapults might be heavier overall, but they also, y'know, actually have armour and a speed that doesn't make a gastropod mollusc laugh his underdeveloped arse off.

Your build is still bad, no matter how you try and dress it up.

#85 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

View PostCavendish, on 23 January 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Since Im new to the whole LRM boat deal (im a light driver at heart) I just wanna ask;

Everyone seems to bring up the CPLT A1, but never the CPLT C1? Why is this? I cant see any major faults with the C1 yet every damn build I look up is something like 2xPPC then some crappy SRM/Streak build....

Playing around with the C1, Ive managed to get some decent 2xLRM20/BAP/Tag builds with it, but obviously Im missing something.

More = better. That said, I would rather run a lrm Kintaro than a lrm heavy.

#86 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 23 January 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Yes, however - there is a cost/return ratio to consider. Sure, those two Catapults might be heavier overall, but they also, y'know, actually have armour and a speed that doesn't make a gastropod mollusc laugh his underdeveloped arse off.

Your build is still bad, no matter how you try and dress it up.

you don't seem to understand that properly, the whole point of it is to allow your team to have the artillery equal to something like two catapults, but its just one 85 ton mech, not two 65 tonners (or basically, one mech vs two as artillery when weight isn't a thing being considered and its just all out no holds bare fight with the best mech you wanna bring in an 8 vs 8...), of course its bad, your doing the classic thing of saying something like an urban mech is a bad design and a heavy would laugh in its face...yeah.....because you didn't look, at the whole picture the stalker would have more front line units on its team (less of the team is artillery) then 2 cats and the same amount of artillery to supplement them with, obviously its gonna be worse in other areas compared to the cats since its such a focused build, but it can't be matched in artillery type firepower per team slot

think of the team slots like hard points, that stalker isn't that good overall for its amount of fire power, but its certainly the most hard point efficient way to get that amount of firepower

lots of small weapons vs one big one, two ac10s vs ac/20, big one might have disadvantages for the same damage (range, durability, etc), but it also leaves room for more weapons else where

and a stalker with low armor can still take advantage of its hit boxes and absorb as much as 144 damage, first hits only hit the side torso, thats 36 taken, then that only will transfer 50% of the damage to the ct which will in turn take 108 damage to destroy, unlike catapults and dragons, stalkers have big noses that greatly work in their favor when it comes to durability

Edited by Just wanna play, 24 January 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#87 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

To me, the Trebuchet and Kintaro are great LRM boats that are small. But they can't really carry much else.

Catapults come to mind for good LRM boats. Not sure on the Variants though.

#88 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostShadowcrusnik, on 17 November 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

As stated by title, what mech chassis provides the best stats for LRM Boating? I do not mean like PURE LRM or any such, just a very good LRM.

To be more specific, i want to be primarily LRM Boat focused ,but have the maneuverability and versatility to deal with mechs at close-medium range with reasonable efficiency.

For assault mechs, the Battlemaster 1S. The AWE-8R has more tubes but is slower and more vulnerable.

#89 Artillery Witch Viridia

• PipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Here are my picks for Missile Boats. Most of my boats are designed to be rear line assault mechs. Made to lay thick sustained rain to blot out the sun. From the more mobile to the barely moving steel rain chuckers, there are many good designs for different circumstances. Every veteran player knows they better hustle to cover if they hear missile incoming and a persistent rain that doesn't run out can essentially pin several players down in a match. It can assist teammates with whoever they are fighting lengthening your teammates lifespans while peeling off armor/creating weak points for anything slammed with sizable salvos.

My most played solid build balanced between its heavy salvos, decent heat management, and it's ability to move and fend off light mechs considerably with only 2.5 tons of secondary weapons. Stk-3f 60lrm 15x4 10 tons ammo 5 small lasers, Tag, Bap 255xl 53.5kph Fairly decent turn/twist rate to retaliate vs lights (killed many lights who thought a missile boat would be easy pickings, others will see some defense and not pick a close up fight.) Sometimes I alpha the 60 when necessary or desired, but I mainly fire two sets of 15s chain fired at once to not mess with judging how fast you can fire to avoid ghost heat.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b6fdb3446999979

Next up is the lrm 80 Artemis just missile launches and 10 tons of ammo. Originating as a joke build. Devastating when it connects, slow as dirt but elited it may drag arse but at least it moves. Just sit close behind your main force. Chuck missiles and hope light mechs don't get to hug you often. You are basically a glass cannon mobile missile turret.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3bb9d00bc1c72b3
(put this on the stk-3h if possible)

Lrm 70 variant of the mobile missile turret- Slightly faster with more heatsinks and 1 more ton of ammo + a tag. Hopefully you never use a dangerous position to actually tag anything in this slow cow mech. Better yet I might replace the tag for another heat sink or ton of ammo but it doesn't make much difference in any of the 3 choices a tag can be helpful sometimes even if you should still stay back behind your main forces. The torso launchers are not losing much running 15s vs the 20s of the 80lrm. If there is any opposing Ams because honestly with a 6 missile port, although fast firing it doesn't make much of a change in the sky darkening from the lrm 70 from the 80. The damage is relatively the same result of devastating upon contact if it goes through. I feel it's a worth speed,ammo,cooling upgrade over the 80. (use stk-3h if possible)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a5e61a7709f5dc

Next test subject for my balance build. stk-3f 50lrm vs the 60 Going faster (280 xl) with 11 tons of ammo and more heat sinks. Taking the lrm 5's in the torsos should be slightly less effective compared to the 15's per salvo. The 20s will be doing most of the work and you can always alpha vs ams as you probably should be doing anyway with a build like this it has no potential ghost heat. 11 tons of suppression to burn, use it liberally.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8927984c8dd0844

Last but not least and I really want to run and try this. I cannot afford a Battlemaster Chassis though yet. BLR-1S. It seems to have the best of both worlds. Tag, Bap 3 Lrm 50 2x 15 2x10 3 medium lasers lol (as if that matters much) The exact # of missile tubes to chuck everything out at once. 12 tons! of ammo. 14 heatsinks you can chuck them out pretty fast. I would use the 2 sets of missiles set to chain fire to prevent ghost heat though if you are not needing to alpha through heavy Ams. Just sit back and rain. It is armored and has a decent engine that you can tag on proper terrain if you are smart about it if desired.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...136bb61ea1f0411

Love them or hate them these are my personal preferences. Not the Speediest of missile chucking assault mechs but I feel they are viable for my reasons. Not to diminish 5x lrm 5 streaming mechs which work well and can hold decent armament. These listed above are designed to Sit back, and send hate down range i large quantities. May your salvos be plentiful and your enemies fight in the shade. Happy raining.

P.s the lrm 80 may be a defenseless scumbag but it really is fun to play. Remember 2 groups of 20 on chainfire when you don't need to alpha., This is a decent strategy depending on circumstance for most of your missile mech launching not just on this variant. it gets them out faster than all launchers set on one set of chain fire when you don't need to alpha and eat heat.

#90 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Stalker 5S with quad LRM15s,dual AMS, 5 med lasers and 1 tag. Lots of ammo too.

#91 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 24 January 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

Just because I disagree with you does not mean that I haven't looked at the whole picture.

You say that running this Stalker is more tonnage-efficient than taking two Catapult LRM boats. The only way that is true is that, yes, one Stalker weighs less than two Catapults. And with that build, might even pack a slightly bigger alpha. However, those two Catapults are more mobile, better armoured, and better able to deal with changes in engagement range and terrain. They'll last longer and shell out more damage than your lone STK - which in my eyes makes them worth the extra investment.

As soon as your enemy moves out of LRM range of your Stalker, what then? Congrats, you have an 85-tonne paperweight. It's never going to catch up. If your enemy decides to close to their own max range? Welp, that's an awful lot of un-armoured ammunition to be sitting on, waiting to be crit-hit. Which will happen - and a single tonne of LRM ammo does 198 damage upon explosion. That build has eleven tonnes. Then your team has no artillery - '144 points of damage' or not. That's a pretty pitiful damage-soak, honestly. Almost everything in my stable can deal that in two or three alphas, tops. And I'm a Medium pilot. Heaven forfend you come across someone truly dangerous.

Taking artillery mechs like this isn't just about 'Well, we have an artillery piece now. Don't need to worry about it.' You need to make sure you can put them where they need to be, and just one isn't going to be all that effective. As I said above, once the enemy gets out of range, you're a waste of 85 tonnes, not a saving of 45. Redundancy also means you get to keep fighting longer before you hit your combat loss grouping.

And re: the Urbie - it's not actually a bad mech for its place: urban warfare. The problem with your Stalker is that there is no place for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users