Marauder Contest - Top 5 Voting - Closed

133 replies to this topic

Poll: Marauder Contest - Top 5 Voting (685 member(s) have cast votes)

Out of these five, choose your most preferred Marauder design:

1. Submission #1: by Bishop Steiner (102 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

2. Submission #2: by Karyudo DS (94 votes [13.72%])

Percentage of vote: 13.72%

3. Submission #3: by Marcobra (289 votes [42.19%])

Percentage of vote: 42.19%

4. Submission #4: by ResidentCrow (118 votes [17.23%])

Percentage of vote: 17.23%

5. Submission #5: by Shimmering Sword (82 votes [11.97%])

Percentage of vote: 11.97%

Vote

#81 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

See, I thought part of the appeal for the Marauder is its kinda lankyness with high powered weapons, like some kind of Mantis Crab like demeanor. Steiner + Crow's Art definitely look like a 75 ton Mech. I also like how they look the most different. The other Marauders look like they are the Clan Version of the Marauder not the original 75 ton Marauder.

Maybe the voting had lapse of information because A lot of people like the Clan IIC version of the Marauder more than the original.

Marauders 2,3 and 5 look like they should be 100 ton Assault mechs.

I voted for Crows because it was just so outrageous and the arms look super unique
it was close though Bishop Steiner :)
I just think your arms look a bit too similar at times. like your Arms look too Timber wolf-ish like you're in a rut or something. I like your shoulders and and feet a bit more though. Still like your Art A lot though.

I do want to see more of Crow's art as well. Like Holy-molely the fore arms and the Barrels are like Sex.

I like both Your guy's Cockpits a lot actually, but I'm a sucker for Visor Cockpits, even though they may give you an disadvantage. (@ Crow& Steiner)

Damn I wish I wasn't in school so I can participate more in these kind of stuffs. :o

Edited by Timuroslav, 20 November 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#82 Chilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

I agree that they all look fantastic, excellent work everyone!! I, too, voted for all of these in the first round. I have to say though that Bishop's has been my favorite all along. To me it still maintains the feel of a Marauder, but is new and different and cool!! I also think that it would fit in the best with the current look and feel of the game, although I realize that will (most likely) never happen. Again, congrats to everyone on a job very well done!

#83 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostTimuroslav, on 20 November 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

See, I thought part of the appeal for the Marauder is its kinda lankyness with high powered weapons, like some kind of Mantis Crab like demeanor. Steiner + Crow's Art definitely look like a 75 ton Mech. I also like how they look the most different. The other Marauders look like they are the Clan Version of the Marauder not the original 75 ton Marauder.

Maybe the voting had lapse of information because A lot of people like the Clan IIC version of the Marauder more than the original.

Marauders 2,3 and 5 look like they should be 100 ton Assault mechs.

I voted for Crows because it was just so outrageous and the arms look super unique
it was close though Bishop Steiner :)
I just think your arms look a bit too similar at times. like your Arms look too Timber wolf-ish like you're in a rut or something. I like your shoulders and and feet a bit more though. Still like your Art A lot though.

I do want to see more of Crow's art as well. Like Holy-molely the fore arms and the Barrels are like Sex.

I like both Your guy's Cockpits a lot actually, but I'm a sucker for Visor Cockpits, even though they may give you an disadvantage. (@ Crow& Steiner)

Damn I wish I wasn't in school so I can participate more in these kind of stuffs. :o

well, the arms resemblance is intentional, since the Timberwolf is the love child of the Marauder and the Cat. And one of the features of the original TWolf was marauder-esque skinny highly articulated uppers, connected to bulky pod lowers. So, IMO, the arms SHOULD be similar between them.

Also, in military hardware, there is a reason all tanks look pretty similar. You find what works, and stick to it, and don't worry about cosmetics. That said, I do appreciate the input, and can see where you are coming from. Cheers!

#84 ho1mes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Ok after much internal debate, I voted Shimmering Sword's marauder. Here's how I came to that conclusion.

#1 Bishop Steiner: I love this design, particularly the upper part of the mech. The cockpit, arms, and shoulder canon just look plain awesome. What I didn't particularly like were the legs. The stance was a bit awkward, so it was hard to appreciate the mech in its entirety. Honestly, if it hadn't been for that, this probably would have got my vote. It has a resemblance to the reseen version, but also pulls from the unseen version a bit. Nice blend of the two. Kudos.

#2 Karyudo DS: Beautiful design and looks like it would carry over to MWO very well. Has strong elements of the cataphract which is good. Of all the designs this one probably looks most like the unseen version, so that made me hesitate a bit. But after reviewing the image some more, something about the stance just didn't look right. You can't see the pelvis so it looks like the legs are connected straight to the torso. It also appears to be falling forward. Overall though, this one was pretty awesome and was a worthy contender.

#3 Marcobra: The artistry is quite beautiful and the design is unique. Something about it doesn't look quite right though. Maybe the upright posture or the awkward and long legs. Perhaps if the torso and legs were more proportional I would have give this one serious consideration.

#4 ResidentCrow: Wow. Obviously a lot of work went into this one. Really beautiful. Alot of people don't seem to care for the reseen version of the marauder but I actually like it. This one pulls alot from the reseen with a lot of artistic embellishment thrown in. Maybe a little too much. I'm really digging it's Steampunk kind of attitude but ultimately I thought it was a little too busy.

#5 Shimmering Sword: While this one isn't as finely detailed as say ResidentCrow's, there is just enough to see that this is the superior design of the other contenders. Pulls heavily from the cataphract which makes sense to me. The proportions look correct, the stance is mean. Differs enough from the unseen to look original. The torso and pelvis in relation to the legs look like they would actually work as opposed to some of the other entries. I would love to see a marauder in MWO based off this design. Beautiful work.

Thank you to all the contestants and best of luck!

#85 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 November 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

Wow! That sounds awesome..... amd mildly frightening!

Which part? :)

#86 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 20 November 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Which part? :)

64 pg graphic novel.

#87 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 November 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

64 pg graphic novel.

But that's the easy part.

Actually I was thinking maybe half that, and in 7 or so page short story format. Grab a bunch of different artists and writers and BAM. Not as frightening per person :)

#88 Richard Strong

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostMarcobra, on 19 November 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Man... if you think it looks like scrap now, you should have seen what I started with... :)

Posted Image

Hmm well it did improve but you should have kept the facial hair!

#89 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 20 November 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

But that's the easy part.

Actually I was thinking maybe half that, and in 7 or so page short story format. Grab a bunch of different artists and writers and BAM. Not as frightening per person :)

sounds fun!

#90 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

I voted for marcobra in the end.
Was a difficult choice, but his design is the best one thinking about a future implementation due to the nice design of the side torsos.

#91 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

Gimme ResidentCrow's torso on Marcobra's design (replace the torso but keep arm and legs of Marcobra's, basically) and I will be a very happy man.

#92 MadEyeMarauderIIC

• Pip
  • The Stalker
  • The Stalker
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

Marcobra you hand's down captured the feeling of the original source material and made it something entirely new at the same time. Not to mention you nailed the MWO feel flawlessly I seriously hope PGI considered your design for implementing a marauder in-game I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that there is a lot of revenue to be gained from this Iconic un-seen redesigned mech.

#93 ZeroHazard

• PipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Any chance of ResidentCow's submission of being the Marauder II?

#94 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostJohn Deadfox, on 21 November 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

(snip) I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that there is a lot of revenue to be gained from this Iconic un-seen redesigned mech.

That is the issue, though. Harmony Gold knows there is a lot of money to be made with the design, so they will block it as much as possible. PGI, while I am sure they are making a good amount of profit, does not have the means to engage in a prolonged legal battle over a design like this, so they are probably hesitant to even toss us an official carrot regarding it, fearful of the backlash from the community for not following through with it if they did so.

#95 Foster Bondroff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostCimarb, on 21 November 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

That is the issue, though. Harmony Gold knows there is a lot of money to be made with the design, so they will block it as much as possible. PGI, while I am sure they are making a good amount of profit, does not have the means to engage in a prolonged legal battle over a design like this, so they are probably hesitant to even toss us an official carrot regarding it, fearful of the backlash from the community for not following through with it if they did so.

Currently looks as if Marcobras design make its. Grats on that, its also my favourite.

But if his approach should cause legal issues with HG, than anything this case shows is how f*cked up copyright laws are.

#96 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

Just a reminder:
The poll will be closed tonight at 11:59pm. Since I can't fully stop the poll (not sure how to close it myself), I take a screenshot and the winners will be decided from that. Votes cast after 11:59pm tonight are invalid and will not be concidered.
A thread will follow with the announcment for the winners, special thanks, closing statements, and a brief letter to PGI.
Stay tuned!

#97 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

still kinda wish I coulda used this version, but who knows, maybe revisit the new with the old.
Posted Image

#98 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

or maybe, I can add the use the leaner torso design of the new with the cosmetics of the old.... hmmmmmm

#99 Mike Getsome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

You guys have no taste, submission #1 is much better than the rest.

#100 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Went with #3 since it seemed to be the most balanced of the bunch in terms of dimensions. #4 seems like something cool and original and should be its own mech (some sort of badass medium mech).

To clarify, #3 looks like a heavy, while the others except for #5 look like mediums of some sort. #5 looks like a big assault dude with a touch of humbleness.

Edited by August55, 22 November 2013 - 10:29 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users