105 replies to this topic

#1 Jaguar Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm not talking about 500m and 660m midrange game that some of you guys call sniping. I'm talking about shooting from 800m+ minimum.

Maybe I'm not playing at an Elo high enough to see it being as viable as brawling or as viable as midrange (500m-660m). In my opinion, Long range and short range should be equally viable.

It seems to me that most of the recent changes and nerfs , have the intended or unintended consequence of moving engagement distances closer together. I also noticed that most people championing the changes or are, at least happy with them, prefer close combat.Truthfully, I hate brawling. So I have to ask, What about my style of play?

#2 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

Are you kidding...?
Most of the QQ over the last few months has been directed at sniping/snipers. Sooooo yeah they are very much viable at the present time and used heavily in both pug battles and even more so in the 12 man queue.

#3 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

What is it about "sniping" that requires you to be 800+ meters away from your target?

#4 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm sorry, aside from leaving your team hanging while you hide somewhere taking potshots, how is it not viable? Because you want more damage? You think you should be able to put out the same damage at long range that a brawler has to get in close to do, and maintain that damage at short range, thereby suffering zero downsides?

#5 Jaguar Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 18 November 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Are you kidding...?
Most of the QQ over the last few months has been directed at sniping/snipers. Sooooo yeah they are very much viable at the present time and used heavily in both pug battles and even more so in the 12 man queue.

From my observations, most serious engagements start around 600 - 700m. With a few people taking pot shots with ERppc's outside that. And maybe, just maybe a Gauss Rifle if someone has one in the match. I have not seen a battle since the recent changes where a few guys can take ERppc's and Guass Rifles and make a impact on a battle from 800+ meters.

#6 Jaguar Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 18 November 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

What is it about "sniping" that requires you to be 800+ meters away from your target?

At under 800m, I dont have to use advance zoom to hit a target. And I can line up a shot just as quick 700m as I can at 400. More than 800m takes a like more time especially if the target in moving laterally. so hitting a Target at 660m is no different than hitting one at 300m to me. So I consider 800m+ as sniping.

#7 deforce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 616 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostJaguar Prime, on 18 November 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

From my observations, most serious engagements start around 600 - 700m. With a few people taking pot shots with ERppc's outside that. And maybe, just maybe a Gauss Rifle if someone has one in the match. I have not seen a battle since the recent changes where a few guys can take ERppc's and Guass Rifles and make a impact on a battle from 800+ meters.

most ppl arent taking erppc's..... but guass, a/c2, a/c5, ua/c5, a/c10, even reg ppc's are more than capable of shredding ppl from 800m+. and im sure you see those ravens running around with 2 erLL shooting from miles away, they are the biggest pain in the arses.

gauss has never been easier to use at long range with the speed boost.

Edited by deforce, 18 November 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#8 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostJaguar Prime, on 18 November 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

True.
I will engage outside of 800m but it is not ideal w/the damage drop off so while engaging at that range I still try to get within the 6-800m range so can do the maximum amount of damage. The exception may be the ac2 and ERLL the laser being the only one that can do any relevant damage.

Edited by xMEPHISTOx, 18 November 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#9 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

better question is when will brawling become viable again? sniping has dominated the metagame for far too long. We need strong SRMs to restore brawling back to its rightful place.

#10 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

4xERLL Stalker. Give it a shot and tell me sniping is dead. What do you want? Faster projectile speeds? More insanely OP mid-ranged snipers? People don't snipe at ridiculous ranges because it's hard to hit specific components and a waste of time compared to mid-ranged sniping. You can do it, but why would you?

#11 St4LkeRxF

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

What you ask for is still viable, but with more heat you need to make every shot count so if you can manage heat and be accurate you can still do it.

#12 Jaguar Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 18 November 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

I'm sorry, aside from leaving your team hanging while you hide somewhere taking potshots, how is it not viable? Because you want more damage? You think you should be able to put out the same damage at long range that a brawler has to get in close to do, and maintain that damage at short range, thereby suffering zero downsides?

Hmm, so I'm gonna assume you like to brawl? Seriously, All I expect is to do enough damage that I can kill the clown running straight at me from over 800m before he gets to me. And I mean dude is in the open and not taking cover.

#13 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Posted Today, 03:14 PM

better question is when will brawling become viable again? sniping has dominating the metagame for far too long. We need strong SRMs to restore brawling back to its rightful place.

Brawling is presently viable you just need to know how to force a brawl. The 12 man queue has a couple groups that have become quite adept at forcing the brawl, namely the Templars and OGMclouds group (forget his clans name). Not sure that this is the case in pug battles as it not an organized battle.

Editing for fix: OGMcloud = member of Templars, so only one group not 'a couple' forcing brawls apparently.

Edited by xMEPHISTOx, 21 November 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#14 St4LkeRxF

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 November 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

better question is when will brawling become viable again? sniping has dominated the metagame for far too long. We need strong SRMs to restore brawling back to its rightful place.

You can brawl but it is not fun like it was 10 months ago

#15 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

lol? sniping at long ranges is still very viable.

#16 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostJaguar Prime, on 18 November 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

All I expect is to do enough damage that I can kill the clown running straight at me from over 800m before he gets to me. And I mean dude is in the open and not taking cover.

If you can't do that right now in the current meta, then there's something wrong with you.

#17 Jaguar Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 18 November 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

4xERLL Stalker. Give it a shot and tell me sniping is dead. What do you want? Faster projectile speeds? More insanely OP mid-ranged snipers? People don't snipe at ridiculous ranges because it's hard to hit specific components and a waste of time compared to mid-ranged sniping. You can do it, but why would you?

Actually I run a 3xERLL, 2LL Stalker and remain very competitive.

A few months back people did snipe a ridiculous ranges. The question I ask is what stopped it? (You know the answer)

#18 Jaguar Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 November 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

If you can't do that right now in the current meta, then there's something wrong with you.

lol, I can hit mechs at extreme range, can you?

#19 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

View PostJaguar Prime, on 18 November 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Hmm, so I'm gonna assume you like to brawl? Seriously, All I expect is to do enough damage that I can kill the clown running straight at me from over 800m before he gets to me. And I mean dude is in the open and not taking cover.

Wait, are we talking about spiders again?

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Brawling is presently viable you just need to know how to force a brawl.

There is no reason to force a brawl in the current meta. You can do 40 pinpoint damage with a sniping build. So why would you ever want to brawl? Brawling just exposes you to damage you wouldnt have to take if youre sniping instead.

The only way brawling is viable is if brawling builds can do substantially more damage than sniper builds. That used to be true when SRMs did massive damage. But without strong SRMs brawling has no real advantage over sniping... youre doing comparable damage while exposing yourself more. Its pointless.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users