169 replies to this topic

#41 Moku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

Fix something that makes the game more playable and fun. This just ends up costing us more and adds more selection clutter.

#42 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostDrunk Canuck, on 19 November 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

I like the changes being planned, however I would like to see a slight tweaking to how tight the firing is for LRM's. SRM's do need to be fixed though and I think that is a more pressing issue then changing Artemis.

As someone else has claimed on the forums or i discussed with my friends at comms..

Lrm should behave like Streaks but at long range.. Lrm are not to kill but to crush the armor, missiles should fly in a big ball but aim as group of 5 clusters to different sections.

#43 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Here's my feedback:

WHY AREN'T YOU REWORKING NARC INSTEAD OF ARTEMIS AGAIN, ARGH

SERIOUSLY, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

I feel better now

#44 Derick Cruisaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 247 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

As long as you are looking at Artemis. What are the chances of making launchers in the center torso utilize an Artemis module in the head? Thus making it possible to have an Artemis capable S.R.M.-6 or L.R.M.-10 in the center torso.

#45 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostSybreed, on 19 November 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Here's my feedback:

WHY AREN'T YOU REWORKING NARC INSTEAD OF ARTEMIS AGAIN, ARGH

SERIOUSLY, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

I feel better now

This change doesn't really do much for me.... improving NARC would be far more useful of everyone's time.

#46 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Okay I gotta be the debbie downer here, will this change finally stop the effect on on streaks lock ons granted I use them all the time it feels cheap to get the .5 second lock on making them way to easy to use.

Yeah hate me for letting the cat out of the bag but if they are doing a pass its time to fix that glitch.

#47 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Again folks, while we all know that there are other items to be looked at and corrected, this is a front-end type of change that is being incorporated into UI 2.0. The post was an informational one on a fundamental change to how the system is going to work in UI 2.0 vs how it works now in UI 1.5.

I'm certainly not saying that the gripes are invalid or unwarranted, but before getting upset/annoyed about this information, also put some perspective on what the focus of this particular change is and that it does not encompass in-game work and mechanics.

Edit:

View PostEric darkstar Marr, on 19 November 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Okay I gotta be the debbie downer here, will this change finally stop the effect on on streaks lock ons granted I use them all the time it feels cheap to get the .5 second lock on making them way to easy to use.

Yeah hate me for letting the cat out of the bag but if they are doing a pass its time to fix that glitch.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the lock benefit streaks get removed as a direct result of this or not long thereafter.

Edited by DragonsFire, 19 November 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#48 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

QUICK QUESTION: What about all the launchers currently in inventory and not equipped, will they stay as regular non-Artemis after the patch that implements this change?

So if we want a mixed-bag of launchers, we need to make sure and equip them on the Artemis-upgraded mechs BEFORE installing the patch right?

I like the change. I just want everyone to be clear how current inventory will be handled so we can capitalize on the change-over.

Also, I really like the idea of mixing launchers. I was building a mech the other day that only had 1 missile slot in the head and couldn't use it because it had Artemis enabled. Now I'd be able to throw a LRM5 in that slot.

#49 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hmmmm....

Took mean a while to under where the heck Paul could go with this.

Paul,
  • Make it this way this wasn't the intention already:
  • The upgrade on the BattleMech ? Stop calling it Artemis. Call it Artemis FCS (Fire Control System).
  • During upgrade to Artemis FCS. Give the users the one time option to upgrade their equipped launchers and ammo to Artemis type. Else User has to purchase them separately.

*Mechs with Artemis FCS + Artemis Launchers + Ammo - Get full Artemis Benefits.
*Mechs with Artemis FCS + Can equip Standard Launchers + Ammo - No Artemis Benefits.

How you are going to deal with Streaks, I will leave that up to you.
It could just be as per normal, Artemis FCS means faster lock-on for all guided weaponry or you go selective.
It guess it would too complicated if a BattleMech has both Artemis System and Streaks at the same time.

*I realise many people will start going Artemis FCS + Standard LRMs for faster lock-ons without the extra weight and crit.
This can of worms is all up to you Paul ! :) :)

#50 Galil Nain

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

Warning... there is a LOT of text behind the spoiler tag. Bear with me, i tend to slip into verbose mode when my caffeine levels are low! :) :wacko: :)

TL;DR:
  • I doubt it will fix the unintentional SSRM lock-on time buff when Artemis is installed (and here's why!)
  • Expecting it to fix the unintentional SSRM lock-on time buff is wrong (and here's why!)
  • Fixing the Artemis MechLab costing and inventory issues as part of the UI2.0 project is the right thing to do (and here's why!)
  • Cut the devs some slack on the time UI2.0 is taking, it's a bigger project than you probably think it is (and here's why!)
  • The devs are improving on communication, but still do have the odd slip-up in allowing us to perceive promised release dates for things where no such promises were intended
Spoiler

Caveat: This is all just my understanding of the situation, and may be entirely wrong. I am not a programmer, but have worked with several over the years and have picked up some of the lingo and theory by osmosis, apologies if I have misused (or mis-spelled) any programming terms.

#51 Kashaar

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Okay, I have one question... why? What is the point of this? It creates management overhead for the user, and doesn't create more interesting gameplay decisions. It makes the mechlab game more grindy. Nothing else. Seriously, what's the thinking behind this?

#52 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostKashaar, on 19 November 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Okay, I have one question... why? What is the point of this? It creates management overhead for the user, and doesn't create more interesting gameplay decisions. It makes the mechlab game more grindy. Nothing else. Seriously, what's the thinking behind this?

Because reasons.

#53 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostNiko Snow, on 19 November 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

SPECIAL NOTE:[color=#959595] The current UI2.0 build being made for Public Test contains this new Artemis functionality if you’d like to see how it works.[/color]

Does this mean the Public Test Shard is going to be back up... for the public (as opposed to the 'internal' testers)?

#54 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostFupDup, on 19 November 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Because reasons.

Need stuff to break so, people have a valid reason not to work on CW. :)

#55 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostGalil Nain, on 19 November 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

*snip*

You're right. After re-reading it, it's basically just going to be business as usual just cheaper for long-term Artemis upgrades, complete with current non mix and match ability, but you're going to need separate stockpiles of Artemis and Standard launchers soon.

So start putting those launchers on your spare Artemis-capable mechs just in case. :)

#56 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

In other news, anything PGI posts will be met with QQ.

However, our OP to QQ time is increasing, which is good.

That is all.

#57 HydroSqueegee

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostKashaar, on 19 November 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Hush your mouth, boy! I dont care what the reason, this is a good change and provides more options in deciding what loadout to bring. "Do i need to bring artemis, or will the couple extra tons let me mount more/other equipment."

Being able to swap between regular missiles and artemis enabled racks without being charged 750k whenever you want to swap is a NICE change.

#58 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

Any chance of getting the spiralling LRM launch pattern back for Artemis equipped launchers?

It was an excellent way of telling if you had line of sight lock on or not. And it looked great.

#59 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

Whatever. I don't use SRMs and LRMs on the same 'Mech. In fact, I don't use SRMs, in general, so this really means nothing to me. I hope is has some sort of positive effect in UI 2.0. Now, to go see if I can get into testing for that.

#60 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

Is there a stat somewhere that says that reading-comprehension is at an all time low these days?
Cause reading some of the responses here... it's gotta be

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users