Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

This was the old reason to use 3 AC/2s.

Gets especially good after 5:40.

Edited by Koniving, 24 November 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#42 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostKoniving, on 24 November 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

This was the old reason to use 3 AC/2s.

Anyone else get the idea that Koniving is trying to get rich off of Youtube payments? :)

#43 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 24 November 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

Anyone else get the idea that Koniving is trying to get rich off of Youtube payments? :)

Nope. No partnerships. No advertisements. Yet, anyway. So I get nothing. I have gotten about 6 or 7 offers, but they are with groups I either haven't heard of or have heard bad things about. If I do take a partnership, I'll get money for ads. But honestly even with 90% payouts (my goal, most have offered 70%), at this point I'm not popular enough to even expect about 30 bucks a month. :) I do try though.

Edited by Koniving, 24 November 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#44 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

One reason I like to use grouped smaller AC instead of single Larger AC is the projectile velocity; it's much easier to hit a moving target with grouped AC/2 instead of AC/5s or 10s because smaller autocannons have faster bullet travel speeds. Likewise, it's easier to hit your mark with dual AC/5 instead of an AC/10. Secondly, dual AC/5 does have a 40% higher firepower output than an AC/10 because of the higher RoF (1.5 sec vs. 2.5 sec). Also, the AC/5 has a much longer effective range than an AC/10, AND is 33% cooler to shoot continuously (2xAC/5 generates 2 heat/10 dmg, but AC/10 generates 3 heat/10 dmg).

So, dual AC/5 weighs 16 tons over 12 tons for an AC/10 (33% more), but has 40% more firepower, a faster bullet velocity,a longer effective range, and is cooler while ammo consumption remains exactly the same (because all autocannons carry 150dmg worth of ammo per ton).

That's the case for why you should take dual AC/5 over a single AC/10.

Now, for the AC/2 story... that's a little trickier. AC/2 is the hottest autocannon by a wide margin (5 heat/10 damage for illustrative purposes), but it has the longest range of the ACs and longer range than Gauss; it has the fast bullet speed of the ballistics (tied with Gauss at 2000m/s, which is MUCH faster than AC/5); it has a high damage output rate of 4 dps (which is equal to a single AC/10, which weighs twice as much), and also it's the lightest autocannon weapon @ 6 tons each.

Grouped AC/2 makes a very fine long-range weapon IF you can keep yourself on target for a while because you practically can't miss Assault or Heavy Mechs out to long ranges because of the very high bullet velocity, the damage output is high, and the range is very long so there's little damage drop-off (even at 1000m, the AC/2 is still dealing higher than 75% of muzzle damage). For a different comparison, dual AC/2 has twice the damage output of a single AC/10 for the same weight, so that's impressive.

However, grouped AC/2 does cause damage spread (you'll be plinking for 4, or 6, damage per volley instead of 10/volley), which is not really a concern when comparing dual AC/5 vs an AC/10 becaus ethey both deal 10dmg/volley. Also, grouped AC/2 is very hot, so if you don't carry extra heatsinks then the 10 Engine DHS will only let you shoot for a little while before you have to cool down or reduce your fire to just a single AC/2 when you get too hot to fire more than 1 continuously. Still, though, it's cooler than any Laser or PPC.

I like using triple AC/2 for long-range support because it deals copious amounts of damage compared to a single Gauss rifle, with the same 2000 m/s projectile velocity, and can be used for some kinds of brawling, too, since it's cooler than lasers and PPCs. You just need to consider the high heat and the damage spread drawbacks, and see how you can deal with them.

#45 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

What is the role of the jagers, where most of the 3 ac 2 builds happen, other than the hunch, shadow hawk, cataphract, dragon, and battlemaster. They are fire suppression. Just think with 2 mechs on frozen city you can stop the other team from coming over the ridge. Not because everone dies when they poke their heads up over the ridge, just the fear and the shake. Then you can change the load outs to 2 ac 2's with lasers or one or two UAC5's or AC5's.

What this is about is Dakka. More lead on target in a shorter period of time.

Remember the 4 second jenners? So how long does a 3 AC 2 mech or 2 AC 2/ 2 AC 5 mech take to kill an atlas?

I intend to find out, going to training grounds now.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 24 November 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#46 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostKoniving, on 24 November 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

Nope. No partnerships. No advertisements. Yet, anyway. So I get nothing. I have gotten about 6 or 7 offers, but they are with groups I either haven't heard of or have heard bad things about. If I do take a partnership, I'll get money for ads. But honestly even with 90% payouts (my goal, most have offered 70%), at this point I'm not popular enough to even expect about 30 bucks a month. :) I do try though.

FTR I was joking around, but will cross my fingers for ya!!! You do good work around here, and if you could make money off it, more power to ya!!

*edit* Although, $30/month for a year while you wait to find a better deal is a new video card.....Plus if someone is giving you 70% already, would be a reason for someone else to offer 75-80% to get you to switch....

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 24 November 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#47 Heavenly Angel

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

I think they're the best weapon in the game right now, at least in pubs.

#48 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 24 November 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

FTR I was joking around, but will cross my fingers for ya!!! You do good work around here, and if you could make money off it, more power to ya!!

*edit* Although, $30/month for a year while you wait to find a better deal is a new video card.....Plus if someone is giving you 70% already, would be a reason for someone else to offer 75-80% to get you to switch....

That's true. But they lock you into contracts when you sign up so you have to stick with them for at minimum 1 year. I'm afraid of getting into what ZombieAnusPounder did, where they basically took complete control over his account. Refused to let him delete bad troll videos of b.s. where he was bored (and gave him a bad reputation when people realize they got rickrolled for over 20 minutes), and other crazy stuff.

If nothing else it'd help offset the costs of hero mechs. I'm well into the 700 dollar mark on MWO.

#49 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

fire rate of twin ac2 attracted me after frustrations with jams on uac5 with my first centurion build, I swapped out the lbx10 (I think thats what it was) because I wanted range.
and I did kind of feel I was doing more damage but lately iv gotten in closer and used twin srm2 streaks and gone for combo's of single energy with the lbx and it can be devastating if I get lucky.

#50 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

Efficiency, assuming you have the slots.

It's what makes a variant with 3x ballistic slots in one section better than variants that only have 1x ballistic slot in that same location.

Well, that, and machineguns :D.

Edited by Sephlock, 25 November 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#51 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

3 AC2 are just pure fun, basically a 6 DMG MG with highest range possible.
My BLR-1something runs a build with a few backup meds, a big engine, 3 AC2 and tons of ammo and heatsinks.
It wreaks havoc in PUGs... i wouldn't be stupid enought to take it for a 12 man though ;)

#52 SniperCon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

I find that even a single AC2 is effective at keeping opponents' heads down. I put a single AC2 on my Centurions for suppressive fire while closing to SRM range. It's also nice to have something to do on maps like Alpine when brawls don't typically occur for 10 minutes.

Every once in a while a Stalker get's wise and figures out that 4 ERLL will actually keep my head down if they're brave enough to take a few plinks to the face.

#53 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

When we had 4 AC/2s without penalties.

#54 Random Wanderer

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

I like my AC2s for intimidation factor. I've found that a good number of enemies get very unsettled when getting hit by a near-constant stream of ballistic damage. All that clanging and screenshake makes them want to get out of the line of fire rather than close in and eliminate whoever is shooting at them. I briefly switched out my dual AC2, dual AC5 Jager DD for dual AC20s and dual medium lasers just for an experiment, and I found that despite the much heavier damage of the AC40, people had absolutely no problems charging in for a face-to-face with me while I was running that build (medium lasers don't scare anyone off). I played several games with that build, and in the end I switched back, because the AC2s scaring people off actually allowed me to live longer and get higher scores.

This is a generalization, of course, like all such things. There are always people who will charge into any sort of damage and take me out, uncaring about what's happening to them. I assume you're all experienced enough to know that sort of thing.

Edited by Random Wanderer, 26 November 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#55 Star Seven

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostLemming of the BDA, on 21 November 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

REALLY!!??

Has this become WOW!? With DPS battles, and gear check, sucking ALL the fun from the game?

If you want 3 ac 2s great, just say its cause you like firing lots of shells, or if you like th ac 20' say its cause you like REALLY BIG guns. Or if you like the thought of the ppc cause it looks like lightning and sounds cool.

But all this?! Really?!

Cant people just play a game without analyizing it to DEATH?!

Play the loadout you like on the mech you like, cause you like it. Regardless of what the optimal heat DPS, blah blah, {Scrap} statistical nightmare people are breaking it down too.

Have fun. Remember?

This has happened in every MMO game I have ever played....especially if you go on the forums...If you want your pretty view of the game...Never Ever come to the forums....EVER!

#56 Sowaka

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

So as a newer and more inexperienced player reading this thread...

2/3 AC2 = Effective at all ranges but disables torso twist and is only good when used as the primary weapons system due to heat
AC5 = Effective at most ranges but can be complimented with LL/PPC/SRMs due to less heat
AC10 & AC20 = Effective at close-medium range but good for torso twisters + high alpha builds and must be used with other weapons

Sounds fairly accurate?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users