21 replies to this topic

#1 wirikidor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC USA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

So like a sucker, I always buy hero mechs when they go on sale... and so I picked up the Dragon Slayer, Orion and Golden Boy.

As I've been playing the Dragon Slayer, I thought "Hey, I should be able to put an AC/20 on this guy's arm right?" Nope.... but hrm... can't some of the other Victors? Yes they can.

Then it hit me, the mechs that can mount an AC/20 on the arm and the ones that can't is crazy.

Lights:
-LCT-1V: Yup, a Locust can mount an AC/20 on its arm.
-RVN-4X: A Raven can have an AC/20... seems legit.

Mediums:
BJ-1, BJ-1DC: The baby Jager... sure why not.
Yen-Lo-Wang: The only Centurion that can mount an AC/20, purchasable only by MC... sure why not?

Heavies:
All Jagers: Should totally be able to mount AC/20s on the arm, and each one can.
Dragons: Nope... despite having that dedicated large gun arm without a hand actuator. Actually the other arm doesn't have a hand actuator either... but it has a hand...

Assaults:
VTR-9B, VTR-9S: Two Victors can do it.
HGN-733C: One Highlander can do it.
Battlemaster: Nope.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

Posted Image

By the way, the Locust is a bad example because it doesn't have enough tonnage to actually fit an engine with the AC/20, even if you strip all armor.

#3 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

So.. also the Heavy Metal can't get dual UAC5 nor AC 20 in its RA, but has 3 energies in the LA, while all the other landers have missiles.

It's a tradeoff. The DS trades the utterly hip-firing energy weapons (and hugely impaired by the convergence issues) in the left arm to get two of those in the RT, still mantaining one energy in the LA, all of this while any other Victor have the RT without any kind of usefulness.

It basically is a mini-Lander. Which is good. And that's why I bought it during the last sale, I quite frankly don't care that the AC 20 isn't allowed on it :)

Edited by John MatriX82, 20 November 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#4 wirikidor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostFupDup, on 20 November 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

By the way, the Locust is a bad example because it doesn't have enough tonnage to actually fit an engine with the AC/20, even if you strip all armor.

Ugh you're right... I'm 2 heat sinks short...

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 20 November 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

It basically is a mini-Lander. Which is good. And that's why I bought it during the last sale, I quite frankly don't care that the AC 20 isn't allowed on it :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying/upset/buttsore that I can't do it, I was simply making an observation on the overall arm mounting logic when it comes to the AC/20. If anything I think the dragons could use the love.

#5 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

And by the way, one thing that might help would be the TT rule of crit-splitting. Basically, you could still stuff an AC/20 in your arm if you had lower/hand actuators, but some of the critical slots would be allocated to the adjacent side torso. This would restrict the degree of motion of that arm, as well as making the weapon vulnerable to being critted out from the side torso (instead of just the arm).

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

View PostFupDup, on 20 November 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

Can be removed so to put AC20s in arms. Like the Victor, and the YLW.

#7 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

View Postwirikidor, on 20 November 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying/upset/buttsore that I can't do it, I was simply making an observation on the overall arm mounting logic when it comes to the AC/20. If anything I think the dragons could use the love.

Meh, Dragons need a huge resizing, making them smaller than they are now. Ac 20 on them could be a nice thing, since the GR that was the way to go primary weapon for them has been rendered useles, making that poor (and beloved by me) chassis an old wreck about which remember old times.. that will never come back..

#8 wirikidor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 20 November 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Meh, Dragons need a huge resizing, making them smaller than they are now. Ac 20 on them could be a nice thing, since the GR that was the way to go primary weapon for them has been rendered useles, making that poor (and beloved by me) chassis an old wreck about which remember old times.. that will never come back..

I agree, I use to run the FLAME all the time as my money maker... but with the GR nerf I don't anymore. I tried... I really REALLY tried to get used to it and got pretty good, but it's the release timing. If you're ducking around terrain/buildings with your GR charged and you don't see the target in time... it's lost... now I have to release and charge again.. oh wait there is he is... that noob blackjack just rocked my world with an AC/20 and I lost my shot.

#9 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

This is why we should be able to remove arm and hand actuators

#10 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostKhobai, on 20 November 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

This is why we should be able to remove arm and hand actuators

Why would you!
You have the awesome fantastic choice between of mechs without lower arm actuators and hand actuators that put the weapons in a high place for ridge humping and with increased torso twist rate to compensate for the lack of arm movement, or taking mechs with lower arm actuators and hand actuators with low weapon emplacement for dirt shooting with regular torso twist to not gain extreme benefits from the arm movement range.

Fair deal, right?

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 20 November 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Why would you!
You have the awesome fantastic choice between of mechs without lower arm actuators and hand actuators that put the weapons in a high place for ridge humping and with increased torso twist rate to compensate for the lack of arm movement, or taking mechs with lower arm actuators and hand actuators with low weapon emplacement for dirt shooting with regular torso twist to not gain extreme benefits from the arm movement range.

Fair deal, right?

LRMs have launcher doors that can pen and close, How come "Actuators" can't Actuate?

#12 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 20 November 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

LRMs have launcher doors that can pen and close, How come "Actuators" can't Actuate?

Because a Lance of Atlases with raised arms would look to funny.

Braaaaaiiiiiiins!

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 20 November 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Why would you!

Fair deal, right?

not really.

And some of them makes no sense. Add a Gauss to the newer Victor, and suddenly is sprouts an actuator it never had before. Since Actuators DON'T actually actuate (at least the shoulders sure as heck don't on mechs with lower arms) It doesn't seem like a great tradeoff to lose the internal space.

#14 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

This is about the 5th post I've made in as many days calling for the Dragons to be able to mount an AC20 on an arm allowing them to run an XL. Look how well it works for the YLW and BJ-1.

#15 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

If my dragons could sport an AC20 it would easily out weigh the negatives for me. Gotta love fast heavies.

#16 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Mechs with complete sets of actuators should be able to hold their arms out straight like MAX suits in PS2

#17 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 20 November 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

Mechs with complete sets of actuators should be able to hold their arms out straight like MAX suits in PS2

Posted Image

Mechs with actuators should have a "Raised/Lowered" aiming mode.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostMercules, on 20 November 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Posted Image

Why is that Centurion shooting at Master Chief? :)

#19 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostFupDup, on 20 November 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Why is that Centurion shooting at Master Chief? :o

Because they based him off the Commando. :)

#20 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

I <3 my Deity of Death and Lord of the Fifth Floor of Hell!

Victor is fun too.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users