82 replies to this topic

#81 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

View PostArtgathan, on 18 January 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

It might be interesting to re-work the pulse mechanic in the following fashion:

Each Pulse Laser has an "energy bar" associated with it. This bar depletes partially whenever the Pulse Laser trigger is held down, and recharges whenever the Pulse Laser is not being fired. Think of it like an energy machine gun (from most other FPS): you can hold down the trigger to empty the mag in one long burst, or fire it off in several "discrete" bursts. However, while you need to "reload" at a set point in most FPS games, the Pulse Lasers in MWO would have a "constant" reload because their bar would always be re-filling whenever they weren't in use.

This would make them great for "burst brawling".

That's the style that I always thought would be good for pulse lasers. Would give you the benefit of being able to fire them whenever you want but not fire them non-stop. And I like how it makes them more of their own kind of weapon instead of just a faster firing, shorter range, hotter version of the lasers.

Edited by dario03, 18 January 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#82 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

I'm curious why lasers were made to be damage over time? They have always been a direct damage weapon. Wouldn't it of made more sense to make pulses do damage for each pulse that hit? For example - say a medium pulse does 9 dmg - so each pulse does 3 dmg. Would of made them perfect for finding that ***** in a mechs armor. This would give the player the option of directing the damage to one location or spreading it across a damaged torso to score a crit.

#83 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 21 November 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

They could also shorten the cycle time to improve DPS. Half regular laser would be huge.

Personally, this is all I think the pulse lasers need.The damage, burn time, and heat are all excellent, but what keeps me using normal lasers instead is the recycle time. In previous iterations, damage and heat have always been very close to their non-pulse counterparts, but what distinguished them in combat was how fast they recycled to fire again. Of course this would cause a great deal of heat that could prove difficult to manage, but it was balancing and challenging.

If the devs simply decrease the cycle time of the LPL from 3.25 to 2.75, but keep everything else the same, the weapon would become increasingly useful. what will keep the weapon from being overpowered is the amount of heat sustained firing would generate.

Alternatively, cycle time of the pulse laser could decrease for each continuous burst, speeding cycle time the longer you hold the trigger. Heat would still be a balancing mechanism, but the gun would have it's own quirk that would distinguish it from the other lasers.

Edited by Hrothmar, 20 January 2014 - 01:28 PM.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users